EDIT: Total cost to taxpayers? Bills select sports firm to represent ownership in building new open air stadium in OP, targeted for 2025

The roof all comes down to return on investment. It really isn't needed for football.  The roof would be so that the facility could be used for other large, climate controlled, events. So, if someone does pay for a roof (Pegula or the County, State, etc.) I'm guessing the final decision will come down to them getting the return on that investment. It's all part of the negotiation. 

10 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

More than likely it’s gonna be in OP. They had some officials talk about the stadium being in downtown and most said they would like to see it but that it wasn’t likely going to happen, because there are areas in downtown that are already owned by other people and that Pegula would have to go through them and it would Be twice as expensive. They said staying in OP is the cheapest route to go. Especially if they want an open air stadium

That makes sense. Also I would imagine tailgating in Buffalo would be difficult where as OP can handle that. That is a big part of the game day experience. I can't imagine fans wanting to sit in an overpriced restaurant in the stadium when they can be out grilling by their cars and drinking beer as well. 

Edited by Greg S
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Greg S said:

That makes sense. Also I would imagine tailgating in Buffalo would be difficult where as OP can handle that. That is a big part of the game day experience. I can't imagine fans wanting to sit in an overpriced restaurant in the stadium when they can be out grilling by their cars and drinking beer as well. 

Exactly, If you build it in downtown then we won’t be able to tailgate. Tailgating is a big part of the experience in attending a Bills game

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/2/2021 at 7:28 AM, Mango said:

Right. But I still think that misses the mark. Just scrolling though comments on FB, Reddit, Insta, I think the Pegula’s missed on the temperature of the community. Just from the eye test, most comments are “Fine, GTFO”. Pegula’s bet that Buffalo would ferociously go to Albany to keep the team here now that they are competitive. But it turns out people feel slighted at the threat 

Maybe they should pick a city to threaten to move to that actually wants a NFL franchise?

Edited by davefan66
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I dont think they really take tailgating into account.

For downtown, it comes down to space/land, as well as moving that many people in and out.  As well as infrastructure.

Years back, when the subway was originally envisioned, they were going to build a spur out to Tonawanda.  If that existed (lol) a downtown stadium would be great.  Short of that, parking is bad enough for a Sabres game, not sure where you put everyone

4 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Years back, when the subway was originally envisioned, they were going to build a spur out to Tonawanda.  If that existed (lol) a downtown stadium would be great.  Short of that, parking is bad enough for a Sabres game, not sure where you put everyone

Several years ago I was in Baltimore for a weekend and the Ravens and Orioles were playing on the same day on Sunday.  The traffic grid there was a solid seething mass of honking horns.  Luckily we were walking from place to place and so didn't have to deal with it.  

I would expect something similar downtown if the Bills and Sabres happened to play on the same day.  OP makes the most sense.

On 8/2/2021 at 11:00 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

Frankly I'm a bit shocked they are quoting $1.1B for a clone of what we have now. They built Jerry-World for the same price in 2009! They built US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis in 2016 for the same price!!  Is our quote based on today's post-pandemic, material-shortage prices? Kickbacks and payoffs?

This is what I've been saying for years now. The longer we wait, the more we're going to have to pay & likely get less in return. New stadium costs are going up year to year... hell, the Colts got a new domed venue for only about twice as much as we spent on renovations. That's why renovating again would be a huge waste imo. If we had bit the bullet years ago, it wouldn't be a billion+ dollars, but now....

Building in NY state was always going to be quite a bit more expensive than somewhere like Texas. If we wait for years down the line, it'll get even worse. Hopefully something gets figured out soon.

FYI - 

This Cuomo news today is a problem.  This isn’t a political statement.  It’s a Bills issue.  The Bills don’t cut the deal with Poloncarz or the County.  It’s the Governor.  And now, the pro-Bills governor is under significant, real, severe duress.  Now we have no idea with whom the Bills will be able to cut a deal.  Keep an eye on what Carl Heastie says about this in the coming days.  If Heastie turns on him, then it’s over, and we’re looking at Governor Hochul in the short term and Governor James/DiNapoli/Hochul/Zeldin/someone else in the long term. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Exactly, If you build it in downtown then we won’t be able to tailgate. Tailgating is a big part of the experience in attending a Bills game

I don't know how it went, but back when St Louis had the Rams neighbors were season ticket holders and big Tailgaters outside the stadium.  It worked somehow.

4 minutes ago, BLO_RIO said:

The Austin Bills, i like the sound of it, also alot closer to me in New Mexico. Josh Allen the Gunslinger in Texas makes sense !

Actually, I'd prefer they rename the team to The Austin Power 🤣 

• Vomit 1

57 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

FYI - 

This Cuomo news today is a problem.  This isn’t a political statement.  It’s a Bills issue.  The Bills don’t cut the deal with Poloncarz or the County.  It’s the Governor.  And now, the pro-Bills governor is under significant, real, severe duress.  Now we have no idea with whom the Bills will be able to cut a deal.  Keep an eye on what Carl Heastie says about this in the coming days.  If Heastie turns on him, then it’s over, and we’re looking at Governor Hochul in the short term and Governor James/DiNapoli/Hochul/Zeldin/someone else in the long term. 

I'd expect Governor Hochul would be at least as willing to help Buffalo as Cuomo?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SectionC3 said:

FYI - 

I also had a mild panic attack about this when I saw the Cuomo news, but as long as negotiations happen while Hochul is in charge it'll be okay.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

I also had a mild panic attack about this when I saw the Cuomo news, but as long as negotiations happen while Hochul is in charge it'll be okay.

Honesty though Cuomo isn’t the make or break for a deal to get done. The deal will get done with or without him...... So either way we’re all going to be fine

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

seems to be to many Ifs ands buts without hearing the entire story from the horses mouth.. I will wait for that to happen and not get caught up on all this click bait

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 8/1/2021 at 8:18 AM, SectionC3 said:

It will probably come in around 55/45 public/private split. The big contribution from the county will be ECC South land.  But it has to get done fast in case Cuomo gets in trouble next election cycle.  The Bills want it done ASAP for a reason. 

Well that didn't age well and today is only the 8/3 lol. Hochul will do what she has to in order to make it work. Then whoever is next won't matter because the deal will be done and the State will have tp honor whatever the obligation is. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Like I said, this all came from one reporter with no real connection to the Bills. If it wasn't entirely made up, the sourcing is extremely suspect. 

Edited by jeremy2020
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I have kept several versions of the article.  The writer has no need to validate since will not be writing any Bills stories or doing any media ones.

it appears to come from one of the political organizations in Albany but not pay attention to NY politics to tell which group.

1 hour ago, BUFFALOBART said:

That was a really short sighted move. Buffalo could've purchased a number of Trolley cars, from Cleveland, for $20 million. The rail line would've been extended out to the UB Amherst Campus. An economic opportunity lost.

Depends on who you are...seems like several people made a lot of money off that project. Not you, not me, but seems like a great economic opportunity for a select few who never had to face consequences for some reason. 

On 8/2/2021 at 4:09 PM, Just Jack said:

There used to be a Bills train, I believe @Albany,n.y. took it a few times.  Here's an old article about it...

BILLS SCHEDULE FIVE AMTRAK 'EXPRESS' GAMES | Latest Headlines | buffalonews.com

I used to live between Rensselaer where the train started & Schenectady.  In the beginning, when I went with others, we'd all meet in Rensselaer, but later I realized it was easier to go to Schenectady.  Also, if I was going alone I'd go to Schenectady because I could sleep a little later.  As the years went by & the Bills were no longer a Super Bowl contender the number of riders diminished.  I remember one of the final years the Bills were playing the Eagles & I got to the Schenectady train station and it was dark & spooky & no one else was there.  Finally 2 or 3 people came & when the train pulled up there were only 2 train cars attached.  I had the feeling that day that the Bills Express wasn't going to be around much longer.    

8 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Diminished but hardly the end. Besides, not everyone tailgates.

Honestly 

I would wager that more people tailgate than attend the game ..

In all of the private lots and Bills lots and grass lots combined there are more than 73k

Yet only 73,000 make it into the stadium.. there are thousands plus who never leave the tailgate

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

15 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I used to live between Rensselaer where the train started & Schenectady.  In the beginning, when I went with others, we'd all meet in Rensselaer, but later I realized it was easier to go to Schenectady.  Also, if I was going alone I'd go to Schenectady because I could sleep a little later.  As the years went by & the Bills were no longer a Super Bowl contender the number of riders diminished.  I remember one of the final years the Bills were playing the Eagles & I got to the Schenectady train station and it was dark & spooky & no one else was there.  Finally 2 or 3 people came & when the train pulled up there were only 2 train cars attached.  I had the feeling that day that the Bills Express wasn't going to be around much longer.    

Fantastic metaphor for Upstate NY

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Honestly 

I would wager that more people tailgate than attend the game ..

In all of the private lots and Bills lots and grass lots combined there are easily over 100,000 people tailgating

Yet only 73,000 make it into the stadium.. there are ten thousand plus who never leave the tailgate

So there are 25,000+ fans who tailgate but dont go into the game?   You are just making crap up, throwing it against the wall, and see what sticks. 

Edited by BTB
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

10 minutes ago, BTB said:

So there are 25,000+ fans who tailgate but dont go into the game?   You are just making crap up, throwing it against the wall, and see what sticks. 

His 25,000 number is a wild exaggeration but yes there are many people that tailgate and do not go into the game.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BTB said:

I mean I'm not trying to throw crap against the wall and see what sticks.. I said it's my opinion 

Going to Bills games my entire life I have ran into plenty of people who never left the tail gates.. bars and lots 

I used to take the bus to the game years ago, and there were a few people who never got off that bus every week.. they were so drunk they never even went to the game

With all the partying going on and all the private and public lots yeah I would assume there's thousands of people who do not go to the game... 25k might be much

3 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

His 25,000 number is a wild exaggeration but yes there are many people that tailgate and do not go into the game.

I was just about to say maybe 25,000 is a large number , but it's definitely a lot of people

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BTB said:

25,000 is probably too many, but I would bet it's around 10,000.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I mean I'm not trying to throw crap against the wall and see what sticks.. I said it's my opinion 

Going to Bills games my entire life I have ran into plenty of people who never left the tail gates.. bars and lots 

I used to take the bus to the game years ago, and there were a few people who never got off that bus every week.. they were so drunk they never even went to the game

With all the partying going on and all the private and public lots yeah I would assume there's thousands of people who do not go to the game... 25k might be much

I was just about to say maybe 25,000 is a large number , but it's definitely a lot of people

If by a lot you mean 25,000 minus 24,000, then maybe I would agree with you. 😉

Edited by BTB
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2