Bryan Cox, Jr. injury (update: Achilles)

1 minute ago, Allen2Diggs said:

That's a shame. He already had an uphill battle to make the final roster. If this takes him out for training camp, they should just release him early to give him a chance to stick somewhere else.

Is he practice squad eligible? As think we could keep him in an emergency, injury permitting. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

I say we put the teams back in bubble wrap like last season until the real games start. 

Watching guys around the league go down in preseason games is going to suck. 

Agreed! There was no difference in play last year.  Bills offense was historically great with little camp and no OTA's and no pre-season games.  And that was with two new WRs, Ford at OG, and a new RT. 

These OTA's are meaningless except for the very bottom of the roster. Just expand the PS and let teams carry a few extra guys into the season.  

• Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 1

I realize what an axxhole this makes me sound like, but I'll say it anyway. His father was one of the very few players I would have cheered if he got injured. That being said, I absolutely don't blame Jr for his father. But, I also just would have a really hard time rooting for him (unless he played great for the Bills of course).

Edited by CA OC Bills Fan
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, CA OC Bills Fan said:

I realize what an anxiety this makes me sound like, but I'll say it anyway. His father was one of the very few players I would have cheered if he got injured. That being said, I absolutely don't blame Jr for his father. But, I also just would have a really hard time rooting for him (unless he played great for the Bills of course).

Was anxiety an auto correct?

10 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

That's a shame. He already had an uphill battle to make the final roster. If this takes him out for training camp, they should just release him early to give him a chance to stick somewhere else.

Or they could IR him and see what the DL looks like at the end of the year

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Saint Doug said:

image.thumb.jpeg.437858de38407a2bc95e6618d9527d4c.jpeg

Fun times man! Loved it back in the day . F you B.Cox 

Nothing but best wishes for our B. Cox. Hope he's alright. I would love this dynamic to play out over years.

Hey man, you had a great game today. You know we hate your father right? Ya I know. Ok cause, we really hate your father. And he hates us so it's all good. Great game B. Cox

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Is he practice squad eligible? As think we could keep him in an emergency, injury permitting. 

https://coachingkidz.com/nfl-practice-squad-salary/

Hey Jokeman, I had to look for a bit, but here is a breakdown for the practice squad for 2021.  Most of the articles were for the 2020 season.  They reverted back to 12 from 16.  2 of the 12 can be at any age and eligibility.  It’s about 3/4 down the article.  The other 10 are under the new CBA rules (you can read it to not bore you).

The bottom line is for 2 guys there are no real restrictions and thus he could easily be placed on the PS if he is not an IR candidate, and I hope he isn’t as they probably will do an injury settlement and just release him.  It’s a crowded room for his position.

Regardless of his dad, I am sorry for the guy.  No one likes to see injuries.

7 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

https://coachingkidz.com/nfl-practice-squad-salary/

Hey Jokeman, I had to look for a bit, but here is a breakdown for the practice squad for 2021.  Most of the articles were for the 2020 season.  They reverted back to 12 from 16.  2 of the 12 can be at any age and eligibility.  It’s about 3/4 down the article.  The other 10 are under the new CBA rules (you can read it to not bore you).

The bottom line is for 2 guys there are no real restrictions and thus he could easily be placed on the PS if he is not an IR candidate, and I hope he isn’t as they probably will do an injury settlement and just release him.  It’s a crowded room for his position.

The article does not seem to be entirely correct.  They made changes to prevent team from stashing players on PS by paying them equivalent of being on 53 man roster.  

This first group, which makes up a majority of the team’s practice squad, is set to earn a minimum weekly salary of $9,200 throughout the 2021-22 season. Under the new CBA, this number is set to increase each year because the league continues to see more and more profits each year. There’s also no maximum weekly salary when it comes to this first group.

• Thank you (+1) 1

• YoloinOhio changed the title to Bryan Cox, Jr. injury (update: Achilles)
On 6/15/2021 at 4:27 PM, Freddie's Dead said:

OK, who threw the D-cell?  Hope he's OK, he can't help who his Dad is.

Right? I can’t help but think of his middle finger throwing pops every time I see that name—viscerally couldn’t stand that guy…🧐

But time heals all wounds, they say. 

• Like (+1) 1

Unfortunate.

I remember the coaching staff was giving him good praise last year. Good enough to keep him around for another year.

Hopefully he can come back after this and find a way on the active roster.

Admit it everyone, we all want this young man to succeed just so we can see his dad at the games all decked out in Bills gear. :devil:

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Unfortunate.

I remember the coaching staff was giving him good praise last year. Good enough to keep him around for another year.

Admit it everyone, we all want this young man to succeed just so we can see his dad at the games all decked out in Bills gear. :devil:

I'm not sure I should admit this here, but I eventually lost some of my B. Cox hate after catching him on some broadcasts- seemed like a like-able smart guy, haha. 

23 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

I'm not sure I should admit this here, but I eventually lost some of my B. Cox hate after catching him on some broadcasts- seemed like a like-able smart guy, haha. 

I remember after a game between the Bills & Dolphins, there was a shot of Bryan Cox talking to Don Beebe, and they looked like they were best buds.

On 6/16/2021 at 10:51 AM, Limeaid said:

The article does not seem to be entirely correct.  They made changes to prevent team from stashing players on PS by paying them equivalent of being on 53 man roster.  

The salary cap only applies to the top 50 on a roster (or something like that). I guess it's possible you would be bumping a rookie minimum deal out of the top 50 if you have a vet minimum guy on the practice squad, but only the top 50 or whatever players count toward the salary cap...the rest is just a cash flow thing only (no cap implications)

On 6/22/2021 at 8:10 PM, Mark Vader said:

Unfortunate.

Especially at an appearance of the Phish in Buffalo.  I imagine he would wear his son's jersey and a Phish cap.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/15/2021 at 10:51 PM, Saint Doug said:

image.thumb.jpeg.437858de38407a2bc95e6618d9527d4c.jpeg

it was kind of fun to have such a villan on the Dolphins.  I mean a guy who straight up disliked you/your team, and who you could just dislike back.  I'm not sure there is anyone like that in the AFC East currently?    

On 6/22/2021 at 8:52 PM, Mark Vader said:

I remember after a game between the Bills & Dolphins, there was a shot of Bryan Cox talking to Don Beebe, and they looked like they were best buds.

yeah, some of it might have just been fun.