[Vague Title] Thoughts on a hypothetical trade.

dbfla10

IF he were to fall to A LB needy team would you trade Edmunds and our 1st for Kyle Pitts? Edmunds is going to start to cost the Bills a lot of money after this year, and hasnt shown hes worth it. Pitts would make the offense as deadly as the Chiefs and would obviously be on a rookie deal for the next 4years. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Angry 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, dbfla10 said:

IF he were to fall to A LB needy team would you trade Edmunds and our 1st for Kyle Pitts? Edmunds is going to start to cost the Bills a lot of money after this year, and hasnt shown hes worth it. Pitts would make the offense as deadly as the Chiefs and would obviously be on a rookie deal for the next 4years. 

Who plays mike? A rookie? We don’t have cap to sign one. 

I'd do it in a heartbeat.   The "Two Time Pro Bowl Linebacker"  shouldn't be in the Bills plans long term.   He will cost too much and he is not nearly good enough  after three years in the league.   Maybe he proves a lot of us wrong this year, but I think he is a below average middle linebacker who makes little to no impact on the game.   If you get Pitts you upgrade your offense, and can still use your second round pick on one of the many good linebacker prospects in the draft. 

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A better title will help the community find information faster and make your topic more likely to be read. The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

11 minutes ago, KGun12TD said:

I really think Edmunds will have a breakout year in this defense and we would have to pay him big dollars...I'm not objected to the idea of trading him but not for a TE.

I've watch Every game of pitts the last 2 yrs. Dude is like Kelce or Kittle, and has really improved his blocking. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, dbfla10 said:

Nope - not a chance would I make that trade.

Get rid of a young 2X Probowl LB for a questionable TE that we will barely use.

I think we need to rethink a few things around here. 

🤦‍♂️

For any other TE, no.  For Pitts, yes.  The dude is a beast.  Also, Edmunds likely gone after this year or next because of the tag number and/or some team will overpay for the physical traits and not production.  We can replace Edmunds with Dodson and 2nd round rookie.  

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, The Governor said:

I don’t like the idea of drafting a TE that high since most of them bust, but if they feel Pitts is a “can’t miss” guy then I would certainly offer Edmunds.

Agree, everyone here seems to think it's easy to find the next Gronk or Kelsey.

I also feel the Bills are in a win now mode so overall in 2021 the team may be better with a vet like Ertz rather than rookie.   Same goes for edge.   To me TE and Edge are two positions that can often take the longest to develop.  Take a CB in Rd 1, that's a safe position to start as a rookie.  That an O-line as long as it's only one rookie on the line are safe spots.

1 hour ago, dbfla10 said:

I would certainly do that trade.  But I am very much in the minority on the message board as far as my feelings for Edmunds.  I think most of the posters get Edmunds confused w Takeo Spikes in his prime.  Or even Sam Cowart or Sam Rogers for us long time fans who remember the late 90's teams.  If Edmunds stays, I just hope he gets a lot better.  His tackling is just brutal.  Maybe he can practice all offseason tackling his father who was a pretty decent TE years ago.  LOL

45 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Nope - not a chance would I make that trade.

Get rid of a young 2X Probowl LB for a questionable TE that we will barely use.

I think we need to rethink a few things around here. 

🤦‍♂️

What makes you think we wouldn’t use him?

1 hour ago, Conlan58 said:

Why is everyone so gung-ho on getting rid of Edmunds? The guy is younger than some college prospects and has 2 pro bowls on his resume. No way in hell would I make that trade. 

Because he stinks.

We should move him now while he still has value before the rest of the league realizes it and before he wants a big contract. 

Edited by DJB

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Who plays mike? A rookie? We don’t have cap to sign one. 

We can make room for one.  It’s not hard.

to the OP.....I would 💯

the bills wouldn’t 💯 

edmunds is a good player but he won’t be worth his extension price unless he improves a fair amount imo.  It’s possible...but I’d rather get something for him now and Pitts is the perfect piece for this O.  It’s a no brainer 

6 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

What makes you think we wouldn’t use him?

1) Because this team typically limits rookies especially early in the year until they get experience

2) Because with 4 starting caliber WRs that are good route runners - I do not believe that a TE gets many targets.  The TE position is mostly coming out of the H-Back spot and is a part of their blocking scheme and I do not see a rookie being trusted in that role.

3) The team values LBs and I can not see them moving on from a young guy because that means you have Klein as your starting MLB most likely and that really hurts the entire team.

4) Rookie TEs tend to struggle and and take time to become anything - so can this kid come in a do something almost no one else has done and become a star TE.

5) What we have seen with Josh is that he is most comfortable in multi-WR spread formations and he can pick his target.  He has for years even when we had very limited WRs - he has picked out WRs as much possible and limited his reads to TEs and RBs, except in the red zone.

6) Finally - I think Josh really likes and trusts Knox and therefore even bringing in a top flight rookie - I think they go with a lot of 11 personnel with a RB and 1 TE and Knox would be the primary guy mostly due to trust.

I could go on, but it centers mostly around how rookies are utilized and the trust and knowledge level needed to succeed in this offense.  

• Like (+1) 1

Edmunds will get better and better with incredible physical makeup. A wingspan and speed. Adding an impactful edge rusher or penetrating tackle would make him a star. You don't want him to reach his potential with another team If we don't add anything, he makes 100+ tackles . Every team needs that.

5 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Edmunds will get better and better with incredible physical makeup. A wingspan and speed. Adding an impactful edge rusher or penetrating tackle would make him a star. You don't want him to reach his potential with another team If we don't add anything, he makes 100+ tackles . Every team needs that.

100 tackles a year is a pretty overrated stat when you're making them 4plus yards down field. He doesnt have natural instincts to read a run play, and constantly gets caught in the wash... Its like having a 6'3"ft 235 RB with 4.3 speed but cant find the hole and has terrible vision. (trent richardson)

..... man, the people here who think Edmunds is bad are ridiculous, not to mention - ok you got rid of him..... and you want what -  Tyler "Special Teams Ace" Matakevich to start? All because YOU think he's not good (unlike coaches and player around the league where this is there job think highly of his play) and you think he'll "cost too much" in 1 to 2 years. 1 yr from now if we pick up his 5th yr option is 12 million, and 2 years from now the cap is going to be over $210 million. If you are really that concerned about his money - think of it this way, by the time we even have to worry about it, Star won't be here and his contract cost can just be put to Edmunds and it would be a wash.

But yes - lets go get a TE, and leave a giant hole in the middle of a D that already has issues because we play 2 LB sets instead of traditional 3 LB ones.

41 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Who’s to say Pitts game translates to the NFL?? Remember Sammy Watkins was a sure fire HOFer coming out of college 

No he wasn't many people question if Watkins because he didn't have the physical skills that previous top end WRs came out. I'll never forget reading this before the draft and saying no on Watkins as a result. https://www.si.com/nfl/2014/04/15/sammy-watkins-clemson-nfl-draft

3 hours ago, dbfla10 said:

I've watch Every game of pitts the last 2 yrs. Dude is like Kelce or Kittle, and has really improved his blocking. 

Even if he is - look 4 of the top 5 TEs were drafted 3rd round or later with one guy even being undrafted.  Not one of the top TEs in the NFL produced even Knox level numbers in their rookie years and most took 2+ years to produce.  The most comparable is TJ Hockenson as a #8 pick that took until year 2 to produce.

So if we make this trade and Pitts is like most other rookie TE - especially the top end guys - he does little to nothing this year.  The question is he a year 2 breakout like Kittle or a year 5 breakout like Waller or someplace in between like Tonyan.  That is assuming he actually makes the transition and is not a below average 1st round pick like Ebron or Howard that never became anything special.

I just think like TE most years - Pitts will be over drafted and will take years to determine if he is any good.  Almost nothing in NFL history suggests this trade would help the Bills this year or next - if ever.

Edited by Rochesterfan

47 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

No he wasn't many people question if Watkins because he didn't have the physical skills that previous top end WRs came out. I'll never forget reading this before the draft and saying no on Watkins as a result. https://www.si.com/nfl/2014/04/15/sammy-watkins-clemson-nfl-draft

This article seems to backup my

AC3D99A5-BBC4-4893-A096-B7DC8CD8678E.png

DB4D8CA8-0193-4CE8-9048-D9A3C72EC3E5.png

Edited by Solomon Grundy

On 3/17/2021 at 1:23 PM, dbfla10 said:

100 tackles a year is a pretty overrated stat when you're making them 4plus yards down field. He doesnt have natural instincts to read a run play, and constantly gets caught in the wash... Its like having a 6'3"ft 235 RB with 4.3 speed but cant find the hole and has terrible vision. (trent richardson)

He was the signal caller on a top 5 defense in 19 and leading tackler on the team that played to a 13 and 3 record and won 10 out of 11 going to the AFC championship game. You want to tell me he looked bad against KC , so did 15 other middle backers against Mahomes. He's still a work in progress, but he could be great with good coaching.