Patrick Peterson-bills in the mix with others

While I would LOVE PP, Brown's tweet is misleading, relative to the title of this post. He's simply narrowing down Peterson's teams and saying that Buffalo, by virtue of being a playoff team is on the list of *possible* teams for Peterson. Nothing saying we're ACTUALLY connected to him.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Read the ESPN reporters tweet...the other 2 teams were in the playoffs the last 2 years, those are the teams

Yes... two teams out of 15 or so...

Edit... ok so both years... still doesn’t mean the Bills are one of the two teams

3 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

While I would LOVE PP, Brown's tweet is misleading, relative to the title of this post. He's simply narrowing down Peterson's teams and saying that Buffalo, by virtue of being a playoff team is on the list of *possible* teams for Peterson. Nothing saying we're ACTUALLY connected to him.

Exactly

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Edit... ok so both years... still doesn’t mean the Bills are one of the two teams

True... but then you can probably eliminate a few more based on scheme, cap and need. 

The Bills, I think, check those boxes as well.

id wildly speculate it’s Bills, Titans, or Seahawks among those two teams. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

True... but then you can probably eliminate a few more based on scheme, cap and need. 

The Bills, I think, check those boxes as well.

id speculate it’s Bills, Titans, or Seahawks.  

Why not just name the teams.?

Guy mustn’t be too confident in his source 

1 minute ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I’m assuming his athleticism is on the decline, but also that he’d be an upgrade to Norman. 

Sounds about right.

Peterson is vastly, VASTLY superior in man coverage to any CB2 the Bills have had under McDermott.

While Peterson May be slowing a bit, he’s still just 30 years old. I think he has a few good years of football left.

• Like (+1) 1

I get the feeling that it’s a priority to McDermott and co to find a CB2 that can more effectively play man coverage, in order to diversify what the defense can do schematically. Wallace and Norman couldn’t play man coverage for beans.

White and Peterson? Now THAT would be a diverse, athletic, effective duo, IMO.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He baited josh all game last season, could have had multiple picks 

Yup, I think he dropped 2 maybe. Allen and Diggs got him on the last drive though. But he would be a great number 2. So smart 

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

I get the feeling that it’s a priority to McDermott and co to find a CB2 that can more effectively play man coverage, in order to diversify what the defense can do schematically. Wallace and Norman couldn’t play man coverage for beans.

White and Peterson? Now THAT would be a diverse, athletic, effective duo, IMO.

A good pass rusher would help the defense too.

• Like (+1) 1

For me, this is the one move.

Get Peterson, restructure a few contracts, let the initial wave of UFA go by and see what else is available on the cheap. Then onto the draft.

Of course this won’t happen though. 😂😂😂

Is he the same player he was 3-4 years ago?  No.  But if he was here as a #2 CB opposite Tre.......  Say what you want, but that would be a dream compared to what we have had at #2 CB for the last few years.  The guy can still play and probably play at a solid to really good level for another couple years.

Not sure we would be able to afford him, but if he took an incentive laden deal where we could put his higher cap numbers off a year or 2, every Bills fan should love it if it somehow happened.

55 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

As a number 2 cb, he would be awesome. Great character guy. I also think he would transition to FS as he ages too. I wonder what his price tag is. 

He is older than Hyde and Poyer,when would he ever replace one of them?

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

A good pass rusher would help the defense too.

I fully agree.

In my opinion, it’s not an either/or, though. Both a CB2 upgrade AND dynamic edge presence are needed.

• Like (+1) 1

Peterson would be a big upgrade over what we have had at CB2 for several seasons so from that standpoint, I like it as I want the Bills to take CB2 seriously for once. 

On the other hand, we need more athleticism in our secondary and the ability to switch between man and zone coverage. As good as our secondary is, White, Poyer, and Hyde don't have elite athletic traits (relatively speaking). As a good example, I really like the group of players Tampa has put together with their secondary and how athletic/long/complementary their CBs are (Carlton Davis as a 6'1" physical press corner, Jamel Dean as their 6'1" 4.30 speed guy, and Sean Murphy-Bunting as a 6'0" ballhawk with 4.42 speed, all of them have at least 31" arms as well). The Bucs pass rush got all the credit, but that trio was able to really stick with Kansas City's skill players on the back end.

I'd be targeting William Jackson III (27 years old, 6'0", 31" arms, and ran a 4.37 40 yd dash when he was drafted) in FA or an Eric Stokes/Greg Newsome type in the draft.