Source: LB Matt Milano looking for “top dollar” in FA

YoloinOhio

23 minutes ago, Reader said:

Seriously. If you could find a guy like Milano in the 3rd round every year we could easily bring him back for significantly less money than what he is going to get.

how many LB's are starting from the third round say... 3 years ago..

I will make it easy for you... only one of 3 OLB is still starting 3 years ago Jerome Baker

4 round 3 was taken in 2019 draft 2 ILB starters 2 olb 1 still starting one not

seriously this is not as easy as you make it.

10 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I hate to say this, but the obvious place Milano will land is New England. 

I don’t know, they really like guys who can play multiple spots and they need to heavily invest on the offensive side of the ball this year. 

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Timing is kind of weird on this story.  Free agency is still 4 weeks away.  Either Bills have no interest in bringing him back or they are so far apart in negotiations they’ve mutually decided to move on.  

Probably a little of both. Bills can't prioritize signing Milano when they have to take care of OL, DL, and CB 1st. Milano is a good player, but at this point they can't give him a contract that he would want. 

2 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I don’t know, they really like guys who can play multiple spots and they need to heavily invest on the offensive side of the ball this year. 

I hope you are right, but I know they have the cap space, Milano went to college there, and Milano is the sort of player that I think BB loves and could really utilize. 

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Losing him creates too big a hole at LB which is especially important in this defense.  We don't have a replacement and you can never count on a rookie.  Bite the bullet.  Franchise tag him and give him and Edmunds one more year of an evaluation before dishing out a big contract.

They're going to have to replace him. 

Just now, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I hope you are right, but I know they have the cap space, Milano went to college there, and Milano is the sort of player that I think BB loves and could really utilize. 

I don’t think Milano has the pass rush chops they covet. 
Overall with the opt out guys coming back possibly they don’t need much on defense. I would have to guess they need the money for offense. They are losing some linemen and running backs and of course had no weapons on the outside already. 

35 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Especially since Beane said in late Jan early Feb that Milano has earned to right to test free agency

Reading between Beane’s lines, the Bills have a fixed dollar value in mind and Beane knew full well that some team is gonna offer Milano too much in excess of that number for the Bills to match. Indeed, I think the transition tag number for LBs already exceeds what the Bills want to pay him. Especially if they’re serious about going after Watt. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, jahnyc said:

I think it would be a mistake to not make re-signing Milano a priority.  The defense improved significantly when he returned from injury and I think his skill set will be very hard to replace.  

This was my take as well for a long time. 

I actually hope that if he leaves they start making adjustments to the scheme though. If they know going into the season they can’t do the same things without Milano they’ll fit the system better to what they have. 

• Like (+1) 1

Wasn’t this a given back in January? Yes it was... 

Not much here that one can say is new news. 

Beane has likely got his replacement ear marked, it’s what he does...

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

i thought beane said it weeks ago. but maybe its more official now somehow?

I expect Wawrow got some gouge either from Milano’s agent or someone in the Bills FO, in which case the latter could be seeking employment as I think the Bills viewpoint is “what part of private wasn’t clear to you?”

I suspect “agent”

At a guess, the new news is: 

1) the Bills offered Milano a contract

2) his agent has had convos with other teams promising more

3) Agent made a counter

4) Bills said sorry, no can do, Cap

5) Agent running up a flag “Available!” In hope of inciting more interest

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I expect Wawrow got some gouge either from Milano’s agent or someone in the Bills FO, in which case the latter could be seeking employment as I think the Bills viewpoint is “what part of private wasn’t clear to you?”

I suspect “agent”

At a guess, the new news is: 

1) the Bills offered Milano a contract

2) his agent has had convos with other teams promising more

3) Agent made a counter

4) Bills said sorry, no can do, Cap

5) Agent running up a flag “Available!” In hope of inciting more interest

Wawrow typically gets his info from the Bills. He has a good relationship with the owners. 

1. Wawrow most have missed Beane's press conference. This is literally not news at all. And he even teased it as if he had news. Worse than Glazer. Bizarre.

2. If Milano cares more about money than winning, I say good riddance. And for anyone who says he doesn't, keep in mind you'd have to make about $150K/yr for 30 yrs to make what he's made already. His next contract will be on top of that. I guess a couple extra million is key to him. 🙄

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

1. Wawrow most have missed Beane's press conference. This is literally not news at all. And he even teased it as if he had news. Worse than Glazer. Bizarre.

2. If Milano cares more about money than winning, I say good riddance. And for anyone who says he doesn't, keep in mind you'd have to make about $150K/yr for 30 yrs to make what he's made already. His next contract will be on top of that. I guess a couple extra million is key to him. 🙄

Just wondering, have you made that second comment about every other free agent from a good team? I hate when fans make this comment, it just REEKS of bitterness because these guys make a lot of money

6 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Your 2nd point is ridiculously bad. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Just wondering, have you made that second comment about every other free agent from a good team? I hate when fans make this comment, it just REEKS of bitterness because these guys make a lot of money

He’s got a point though, Milano if he stays has a great chance of being on a contender for quite sometime and could get a ring or two. It seems here in this situation that money is what matters more to Milano than winning a Lombardi. I’d be very surprised if anyone backs up the brinks truck on his lawn given his injury history plus his struggles against the blitz, he’s a solid player but not great and not worth what he’s looking for

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, appoo said:

You can scheme around losing Milano. It’s called a dime package 

McDermott loves his nickle package and we likely aren't going away from it. They will find a way to make it work. 

Improve CB 2 and the edge talent and we can protect whoever the Weak side LB is out on the field. Hopefully whoever it is won't need protection. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

8 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Also look at Philips for example. He got paid by Arizona and hasn’t done jack *****. He looked like a back up/depth player outside of McD’s and Frazier’s defense 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

You really hating on someone for wanting maximum value on HIS talent and money? 
Yeah that extra couple million might be the difference in a full comfortable retirement or having to find more work at age 50+ 
Let’s not forget the damage these guys are doing to their bodies and in some cases brains. Let that man make his money. Your second contract is your retirement package for most in the NFL. He’s earned every penny he can get. Also keep in mind that extra couple million might not be for him but his family. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Also look at Philips for example. He got paid by Arizona and hasn’t done jack *****. He looked like a back up/depth player outside of McD’s and Frazier’s defense 

Philips went to a team that up until the last couple of games in the season was still in the playoff hunt-it’s not like he took a bunch of money from the jets or jags. He also got hurt during the season. Most people on here have been loving everything that Milano had done for the last 4 years but now want to treat him like he’s nothing because he wants to get paid. It’s weak 

5 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Philips went to a team that up until the last couple of games in the season was still in the playoff hunt-it’s not like he took a bunch of money from the jets or jags. He also got hurt during the season. Most people on here have been loving everything that Milano had done for the last 4 years but now want to treat him like he’s nothing because he wants to get paid. It’s weak 

It’s not weak, we the fans have a right to criticize, I think it’s a selfish move on his part but at the end of it all it’s his choice. But I wouldn’t be surprised given his inconsistencies and injury issues that he becomes another average player with a big contract. I’m sure Beane did his due diligence and offered his camp a deal and I’m sure Milano and his camp didn’t like the deal and wanted to be greedy and ask for more. 

• Like (+1) 1

Was just listening to Sal C from earlier in the week. The Bills give up on average 0.7 fewer yards per pass completion with Milano on the field. By far the biggest single difference of any player on the roster. I don't think you can pay him big but his loss will be noticed unless we find a replacement.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Brennan Huff said:

Somebody will overpay him. Thankfully it won’t be us

Just like when Arizona overpaid for Philips and just like when the saints overpaid for Byrd. This is one of the reasons I don’t respect the players of today vs the NFL players from back in the day. It’s all about the money now and less about wanting to win and bringing good culture to the locker rooms. 

14 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Also That’s not an excuse for Philips playing like Crap in Arizona. I’m glad Beane didn’t overpay for him like other on here wanted. Look at his stats for this year vs his last year in Buffalo. It wasn’t him it was the system here that helped him. Take him out of the system and you get the same old Philips from Miami

32 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

McDermott loves his nickle package and we likely aren't going away from it. They will find a way to make it work. 

Improve CB 2 and the edge talent and we can protect whoever the Weak side LB is out on the field. Hopefully whoever it is won't need protection. 

He’s not running the perma nickel with AJ Klein. Not unless he loves giving up 30 a game. 

he’ll have to land another 3 down backer. Which are expend and kinda rare. 

Much better off finding a 4th corner and an EDGE

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Just like when Arizona overpaid for Philips and just like when the saints overpaid for Byrd. This is one of the reasons I don’t respect the players of today vs the NFL players from back in the day. It’s all about the money now and less about wanting to win and bringing good culture to the locker rooms. 

Also That’s not an excuse for Philips playing like Crap in Arizona. I’m glad Beane didn’t overpay for him like other on here wanted. Look at his stats for this year vs his last year in Buffalo. It wasn’t him it was the system here that helped him. Take him out of the system and you get the same old Philips from Miami

for you it’s a fandom, for the players it’s a job market 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Was just listening to Sal C from earlier in the week. The Bills give up on average 0.7 fewer yards per pass completion with Milano on the field. By far the biggest single difference of any player on the roster. I don't think you can pay him big but his loss will be noticed unless we find a replacement.

I’m sure Beane will and probably already has

20 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Players should try to make as much money as they can during the very short window of years they are capable of playing in the NFL. Aint nothin wrong with that.

It is when the players do get paid and stop putting forth the effort and disappear. Seen way too many free agents pull this stunt. 

20 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Players should try to make as much money as they can during the very short window of years they are capable of playing in the NFL. Aint nothin wrong with that.

It is when the players do get paid and stop putting forth the effort and disappear. Seen way too many free agents pull this stunt. 

• Disagree 1

On 2/19/2021 at 2:52 PM, Ya Digg? said:

I don't see anything wrong with bitterness. The team drafted him in the 5th and gave him a shot. He just went to the AFC Championship game with this team. There are players on the Bucs offering to take pay cuts to stay around and we have a relatively young LB who has decided that he values money more than staying on the team. Does that make me want to root for him? No, because I don't care about Matt Milano personally, I care about the Bills as they are the team I have chosen to root for since childhood. I don't care if he makes a lot of money or a little money; his value to me is directly related to how much or little he helps the Bills. Fandom is not something I owe a player. If he chooses to leave the Bills I'll stop caring about him altogether and not wish him well or ill.

I don't understand when people get mad at other fans for criticizing a player. This is a game and it's not personal. For 99% of players I view them joining or leaving a team with the same enthusiasm I would if they joined my Madden team, they're a name and stats to me and little else. Every once in a while a player like Kyle or Fred Jackson comes along and I become a fan of that player specifically. I root for those players when they leave the team. Milano is not in that category for me. 

Edited by ndirish1978
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, appoo said:

He’s not running the perma nickel with AJ Klein. Not unless he loves giving up 30 a game. 

he’ll have to land another 3 down backer. Which are expend and kinda rare. 

Much better off finding a 4th corner and an EDGE

for you it’s a fandom, for the players it’s a job market 

It's called sub packages. They might not find another 3 down LB. They might find one that subs in on 3rd down. 

Its not rare to find a 3 down LB. You can't just plug anyone in though and say play 3 downs. They'll have to find a way to replace him. Aj Klein wasn't signed to replace Milano. 

22 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It is when they do get paid and stop putting forth the effort and disappear. Seen this stunt way too many times from free agents looking for a pay day

2 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Dude get out of here with that whole “no respect for today’s players vs players of before” absolute crap. To think that those guys wanted it more back then is garbage. They didn’t go after huge dollars because they weren’t allowed to. Free agency wasn’t a thing until the 90’s. Like it’s some sort of issue that these guys want to get paid...let me guess, you think Josh will take a major hometown discount because “he just seems like that kind of guy” and he’s all about the team, because when these guys get paid a fair salary they obviously are all about themselves 

Edited by Ya Digg?
  • Like (+1) 1