Source: LB Matt Milano looking for “top dollar” in FA

YoloinOhio

I like Milano and think he’s been a great LB for us, but if he is getting top $ then it will not be in Buffalo. Even if we were not somewhat cap-strapped, I would not be able to justify spending that money on a player who has his injury history and is not a player for whom OCs have to specifically gameplan. 

Regardless, what’s the worry? Just draft another Milano in the 5th. Easy. Geez. 

Coming into this year, I felt Milano was a candidate for extension if he had a great season and stayed healthy. 

Instead he was dinged up more than both years prior and in the Playoffs, his skills as a cover guy on TE's were non-existent.

Considering the upgrades we need to make and the amount of key contributors that are FA's, I was kinda against re-signing him to begin with. Top Dollar? Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Regardless, what’s the worry? Just draft another Milano in the 5th. Easy. Geez. 

They took a swing at that a few years back...

Vosean Joseph I believe the fellas name was...

Has been quiet to date though... last seen at Walmart...

I would suggest with the value of this position to MCD’s defense that they are going to have to invest an early pick if Milano needs replacing which seems likely

40 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

I know we play a different D , but the money we are talking about , OLB,  the guy needs to pop on film...he needs to be a difference maker and all pro type guy.

Cover1 says "Hi"

And that's not even including some of the eye-poppers he laid down in the 2nd half of the season this year.

I get it that Beane may have to make difficult prioritization decisions and if I were he, I'm not sure where Milano falls on my prioritization, but let's not diss on a guy who has totally played his ass off and been a difference maker - when on the field.

As Beane said in his presser, that's really their only concern with him.  Best ability, availability and all that.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Then you will get to complain when they pick a LB at 30 to replace him....

I'd be pretty annoyed if they let Milano walk (they should) but then draft a LB at 30.

Fix the defense by cutting guys like Jefferson, Butler and Addison, then using that money on an actual pass rusher. (There are going to be some available)

Draft a couple linebackers in the middle rounds to compete for a spot with Klein/Dodson in the mix. 

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Don't hold yer breath.  Edmunds at MLB appears to be a "ditch" McDermott and Frazier are prepared to die in.

Yup and its unfortunate. Hes an average MLB but has the potential to be a stud WLB

2 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

I'd be all for paying Milano top LB pay, if he played like a top LB. He doesn't have the resume to make such demands. He's a scheme specific player who lacks " thump" in run defense. 

Do we watch the same football team?  I mean, Criminy, no one is perfect and Milano does miss more tackles than I'd like, but when he thumps a guy, generally he stays thumped.

25 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Agree. I would be more worried if he said, “nah— looking for a mediocre deal in free agency.”

isn’t the goal of free agency to maximize your contract? 

True, but "maximize" is not quite the same as "top dollar".

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I'd be pretty annoyed if they let Milano walk (they should) but then draft a LB at 30.

Fix the defense by cutting guys like Jefferson, Butler and Addison, then using that money on an actual pass rusher. (There are going to be some available)

Draft a couple linebackers in the middle rounds to compete for a spot with Klein/Dodson in the mix. 

Well... they don’t have a 4th round ...and I can’t see them waiting until the 5th to roll the dice given the value of the position to the team...

If Milano moves on for more money, and they like someone else at 30 who they think they can replace him and can be a cost effective contributor for 4 years then why not take him?

Its pick 30, not a top 10 pick

Milano in our defense IS super important

but

top dollar would hamstring us.....In that case I would rather let him walk.....put that money into our offensive line .....and draft a LB high

The reason why Milano is so important is we dont have linebackers who can cover......go get a less expensive version of Milano

10 minutes ago, SCBills said:

SC.....what if letting Milano walk and drafting a LB at 30 allowed you to keep RT Williams?  Who also deserves a contract?

4 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Well... they don’t have a 4th round ...and I can’t see them waiting until the 5th to roll the dice given the value of the position to the team...

If Milano moves on for more money, and they like someone else at 30 who they think they can replace him and can be a cost effective contributor for 4 years then why not take him?

Its pick 30, not a top 10 pick

We can get a 4th if we want.  We have two 5ths to play with. 

I'd much rather use Pick 30 on Offense.   Give me the best playmaker or OL.

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Milano in our defense IS super important

but

top dollar would hamstring us.....In that case I would rather let him walk.....put that money into our offensive line .....and draft a LB high

The reason why Milano is so important is we dont have linebackers who can cover......go get a less expensive version of Milano

SC.....what if letting Milano walk and drafting a LB at 30 allowed you to keep RT Williams?  Who also deserves a contract?

I'm 100% in on cutting Brown, Jefferson, Butler and Addison.  Letting Milano walk, and using some $$$ on Williams.  

Edited by SCBills

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Jacksonville might be the destination.

They do have the most free cap. 

Reportedly hiring Ravens DL coach Joe Cullen as their new DC:

https://www.nfl.com/news/jaguars-to-hire-ravens-dl-coach-joe-cullen-as-new-defensive-coordinator

I guess we don't know what his defensive philosophy is, but don't the Ravens traditionally look for big thumpers at OLB?  Do you think Milano is a fit for him? 

What kind of defense is Urban Meyer known for?