The Moby Dick Mentality

I've thought about it a few times but its never felt relevant until recently. As a Bills fan, part of my identity is wanting a SB win. Anyone else worry that if we were to win it, the lusting is more potent than the climax?  Will we all lose our identity and purpose?😆 Or would it live up to the hype?!? Maybe some fans of other sports can share something! Paging all Cubs and RedSox fans!!!

Edited by BillsShredder83
  • Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I've thought about it a few times but its never felt relevant until recently. As a Bills fan, part of my identity is wanting a SB win. Anyone else worry that if we were to win it, the lusting is more potent than the climax?  Will we all lose our identity and purpose?😆 Or would it live up to the hype?!? Maybe some fans of other sports can share something! Paging all Cubs and RedSox fans!!!

When we win, I will be too drunk to care about a psychological letdown

1 minute ago, BillsPride12 said:

My biggest worry right now is if we go all the way this year and  we can't actually go to the games and have a parade etc....seriously how badly would that suck?  For that reason there's a part of me that secretly doesn't want us to win the whole thing this year

I get that.  Funny thing is, you could argue whomever wins the SB this year will be the most impressive SB winner of all time due to the absurdly high level of default adversity.  But in the public memory it will always be the weird season where everything was different.

4 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

My biggest worry right now is if we go all the way this year and  we can't actually go to the games and have a parade etc....seriously how badly would that suck?  For that reason there's a part of me that secretly doesn't want us to win the whole thing this year

I feel like the Bills (or at least the City of Buffalo) would hold off any parade/celebration until the fans could be a part of it.  And if they do have a parade even though people are not allowed to attend, well I don't think there are going to be enough jail cells and cops to stop the masses that will show up for it anyways.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

I get that.  Funny thing is, you could argue whomever wins the SB this year will be the most impressive SB winner of all time due to the absurdly high level of default adversity.  But in the public memory it will always be the weird season where everything was different.

Right.  I do think it would be different if your a fan of a team that has already won a Super Bowl before.  But for the Bills I want the whole package...massive tailgate parties, Bills fans invading the cities of opponents, a massive Super Bowl parade, packed bars etc.  If the Bills went all the way this year of all seasons it would feel so anti-climatic 

I was thinking the same thing today, as some of the national media started talking about us as Super Bowl contenders. It is part of our identity as a team and fan base to be one step away, one play short, screwed out of victory, or to be lost in mediocrity---but to be resilient, pick ourselves up and keep going, stick by each other no matter what. All great lessons for our young fans about perseverance, family, etc. So, I did think about if it would seem anticlimactic (the day after) or change our identity/feeling for the team if we were to win a Super Bowl. Don't get me wrong, I still want it to happen and will celebrate my ass off. But I was kind of feeling the same thing as the OP.

I have a friend who is a Pats fan and he said, it would just be so apropos for the Bills to win a Super Bowl in the most apocalyptic year ever. 😊 But, if we were somehow to do it this year, I think that fire would still be there because we didn't/won't get to celebrate in person in the stands, we won't get to celebrate the way we would want to with each other most likely, no parades, no houses full to the rafters with multiple generations the night of the game, etc. So, there would still be something to fight for in trying to win another. Plus, who knows, this year may always have an asterisk next to it (whoever wins)..."yeah, but that was the COVID year, which was all screwed up, teams depleted, no offseason." All things that just make this a harder year to win, but some might say it doesn't count the way it would another year. I don't know. I just think that there would still be something to root for/play for if we were to win the big one this year.

But Buffalo to me will always be more than about getting a Super Bowl win. It is the crowd calling for Scott Norwood at the post-game rally after SBXXV, it is the Andy Dalton play to break the drought and all of the celebration and donations that came from that, it is folks showing up at the airport to greet their warriors, their brothers coming home from big wins and big losses, it is the donations to Oshei in the wake of Josh's grandmother passing...and that we will never lose.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

I feel like the Bills (or at least the City of Buffalo) would hold off any parade/celebration until the fans could be a part of it.  And if they do have a parade even though people are not allowed to attend, well I don't think there are going to be enough jail cells and cops to stop the masses that will show up for it anyways.

I'm sure there would be some sort of planned celebrations down the road but even though it would be fun you wouldn't be able to replicate the pure ecstacy and emotion in the heat of the moment 6 months later.

2 minutes ago, folz said:

I was thinking the same thing today, as some of the national media started talking about us as Super Bowl contenders. It is part of our identity as a team and fan base to be one step away, one play short, screwed out of victory, or to be lost in mediocrity---but to be resilient, pick ourselves up and keep going, stick by each other no matter what. All great lessons for our young fans about perseverance, family, etc.

Of course the natural ending to that story is finally putting all those life lessons to work and winning!  

But if we ever did like the Pats and won 3 in 4 years I'd probably not recognize the team as the Bills anymore.  Too much for my brain to handle  😆

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

I'm sure there would be some sort of planned celebrations down the road but even though it would be fun you wouldn't be able to replicate the pure ecstacy and emotion in the heat of the moment 6 months later.

I get ya.  I honestly think I'll be riding high for a long time either way.  Hell, winning a games gets me to the next most weeks.  Winning the last game of the season will give me all the gusto and euphoria to last me until the next season.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Living in Chicago, pretty much every Cubs fan in the city regrets that they won the World Series. 😂 Not.

You can't turn on a local sports show about the Bears and not have them compared to the 85' team. It's like having the 4 Super Bowls in row to talk about for the rest of your life without any heart break whenever it comes up. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I have mentioned this exact phenomenon a few times here.

I grew up a Red Sox fan and only knew losing for a long time.

Then 2004 happened and yes, it changed me forever as a fan.  Nothing matters any more.  The Sox can be good, bad, great, terrible...it doesn't matter.  We got the monkey off our backs, it's never going back on, and that first WS championship changed me forever as a Red Sox fan.

I do believe the same will happen to me as a Bills fan if we were to win a Super Bowl...and a whole lot of other Bills fans too.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I honestly have thought about this over the years. Someone posted a preseason thread asking if others weren’t as excited this year as they usually would be and many weren’t ( which surprised me) I mention it because it’s the same sort of question.

I don’t think a SB victory now will feel like Bill Giants if we’d won. I’m older, more jaded and world weary. I LOVE the Bills and fervently hope we win one soon , this year being a distinct possibility, but I already don’t feel the same.

However, the bragging would be fun and retiring all the “ Oh 44 “ and “ Boy I Like Losing” jokes would be very welcome.

Honestly, if we play this right, we could become the next Patriots .

Edited by Buffalo Boy
  • Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I have mentioned this exact phenomenon a few times here.

I grew up a Red Sox fan and only knew losing for a long time.

Then 2004 happened and yes, it changed me forever as a fan.  Nothing matters any more.  The Sox can be good, bad, great, terrible...it doesn't matter.  We got the monkey off our backs, it's never going back on, and that first WS championship changed me forever as a Red Sox fan.

I do believe the same will happen to me as a Bills fan if we were to win a Super Bowl...and a whole lot of other Bills fans too.

You stole my thunder. I grew up in NY a Red Sox fan. Miserable existence for 37 years. I bawled when they won in 04'. Yankee fans still showed no respect saying 2090, 86 years later for our next one. 07 was justification of no more 86 years again. 13 and 18 were gravy and bragging rights about being a significant championship team at the beginning of a century again. I.E. 1918. 04 will always be the best for me as a Sox fan. Took a lot of stress out of watching them. Would have died happy with just that one. I would love for the Bills to win just one... but more than one would be nice too!

Good thread by the way! 

• Like (+1) 1

I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it but if I had to guess I'd say this fan base would still be just as rowdy with a Super Bowl win. I'm definitely in the "just gimme one before I die!" crowd so if they do win it one day, I know it's gonna fill a void for life but I'm still gonna wanna see them do it again.

A buddy of mine is a Giants fan and he got to experience their last two Super Bowl wins and he said it's a pretty awesome, hard-to-describe feeling. 

Let's face it, 2020 has had all sorts of weird whacky stuff going on, the Bills winning the Super Bowl would really be the cherry on top, wouldn't it?

13 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it but if I had to guess I'd say this fan base would still be just as rowdy with a Super Bowl win. I'm definitely in the "just gimme one before I die!" crowd so if they do win it one day, I know it's gonna fill a void for life but I'm still gonna wanna see them do it again.

A buddy of mine is a Giants fan and he got to experience their last two Super Bowl wins and he said it's a pretty awesome, hard-to-describe feeling. 

Let's face it, 2020 has had all sorts of weird whacky stuff going on, the Bills winning the Super Bowl would really be the cherry on top, wouldn't it?

I mean this fanbase just watched the Patriots dominate the league for decades hell they watched them almost break the Bills Super Bowl appearance record, I'm sure there is plenty more this fanbase will want if they get a SB win.

5 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Part of every pro sports fan should be wanting to win a SB.

Too many Bills fans act like the Bills are their small college school trying to compete with the big boys.

Most of that is the organizations fault for being such a dumpster fire for 17 years.

But the playing field, by design, is quite level in the NFL. 

That being the case you should expect a pro sports organization to put a SB contender on the field often..........that's supposed to be the trade-off that the owners provide in return for fans suspending disbelief that a privately owned club is actually representing them or the community.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I'll take my chances!

I've lived in the Chicago area my whole life & I'm a big Cubs fan. The Bartman incident shares an even plane in my memory with the Music City Forward Lateral. I admit, it's easier to stomach when the Cubs get eliminated from the playoffs than it used to be, because they did win it recently. It was awesome when the Cubs finally won it, but I'd trade it in a heartbeat for a Bills Superbowl win.

16 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

It's cool. We could just call a peaceful protest. I'd roll up there from VA for that. :thumbsup:

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I checked my list of things to worry about and this came in at #2020

• Haha (+1) 1