Eppenesa and Phillips Improving

5 minutes ago, atomicpwrd said:

Seems like Oliver is playing some one tech, they noted it once in last week's game...not really using its skill set in the best way.  I hope we get a big hole clogger in the middle for next year.

Um, Star?

• Like (+1) 4

21 minutes ago, Kelsayrundefense said:

Whats he going to look like after a year off?  He's probably 400 lbs.

That would clog a hole....

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Why are so many posters still so bent out of shape over Murphy? Who gives a sht if the guy is getting paid to sit on the inactive list? It’s not like we let someone else go just to keep him. McD obviously felt Espeneza wasn’t ready for a starters load and kept Murphy to allow him time to develop and now we are seeing the transition. I never understand why people harp on moves like this. It’s not your money, it made sense at the time, and its good to see Espeneza earn his time instead of being plugged in just because he was a high draft pick. Let it go, Murphy will be gone next year.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Both looking pretty good now to this untrained fan's eyes.  Phillips seemed stout in middle tonight.  Eppy is always active, I like his instincts.  Those two rounding into better form contributes to the rotation and seems a bit of an under-the-radar reason for D's resurgence.

Great to see Phillips getting back to his old self. I've heard Banged Up Bills and a few others say that an ACL injury for a DT can be closer to a two year injury than one year because of the physicality of playing that position. We just need to be patient with him, but starting to see good signs.

Epenesa has all the physical tools aside from top end speed. It's just the mental part of the game that was holding him back at the start of the season, but I love his hustle and you can see the game starting to slow down for him week by week. 

Most of the players who struggled early in the season have been making plays these past few weeks and the defense is starting to heat up at just the right time. 

7 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Both looking pretty good now to this untrained fan's eyes.  Phillips seemed stout in middle tonight.  Eppy is always active, I like his instincts.  Those two rounding into better form contributes to the rotation and seems a bit of an under-the-radar reason for D's resurgence.

Butler is playing well too. Former 1st round pick getting comfortable with the team now.

6 minutes ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Great to see Phillips getting back to his old self. I've heard Banged Up Bills and a few others say that an ACL injury for a DT can be closer to a two year injury than one year because of the physicality of playing that position. We just need to be patient with him, but starting to see good signs.

Epenesa has all the physical tools aside from top end speed. It's just the mental part of the game that was holding him back at the start of the season, but I love his hustle and you can see the game starting to slow down for him week by week. 

Most of the players who struggled early in the season have been making plays these past few weeks and the defense is starting to heat up at just the right time. 

Our draft picks and free agent pickups didn't have the usual benefit of minicamps and a normal training camp. It makes sense it took them longer than normal to adjust.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

Why are so many posters still so bent out of shape over Murphy? Who gives a sht if the guy is getting paid to sit on the inactive list? It’s not like we let someone else go just to keep him. McD obviously felt Espeneza wasn’t ready for a starters load and kept Murphy to allow him time to develop and now we are seeing the transition. I never understand why people harp on moves like this. It’s not your money, it made sense at the time, and its good to see Espeneza earn his time instead of being plugged in just because he was a high draft pick. Let it go, Murphy will be gone next year.

Even in hind sight it was the correct move by SM, to keep him. We may still yet see him on the field, three more regularly season games plus the playoffs, in a pinch he knows the system and can be used in that fashion.

Go Bills!!!

22 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

Except that if they had cut him earlier his salary cap space would roll to next year and could likely be the difference between keeping a Milano or Williams vs. losing them to free agency.

52 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

I agree except it’s not about money, it’s about cap space.  People want to see it used to better the team and not wasted.  But there are worse examples of wasted space than Murphy - and some of those contracts will still have an impact next season.  Murphy will be gone and off the books. 

37 minutes ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

Except that if they had cut him earlier his salary cap space would roll to next year and could likely be the difference between keeping a Milano or Williams vs. losing them to free agency.

Cutting him would’ve saved $8M less what his roster replacement cost.  Incidentally $1M of that is in per game active roster bonuses.  They’re saving a little bit by making him inactive since week 10 at least.  That’s not enough to make a big dent in either contract, but it wouldn’t have hurt.

I actually thought he’d be a solid, if unspectacular, early down contributor at DE this season.  After seeing our DE corps crippled by injuries last season I wanted depth and I did not want to have to depend on a rookie for a lot of snaps.  So keeping him made sense to me, but his time in B-lo looks very over now if he can’t even get on the active roster now. 

They definitely are making progress. For our 1st rounder, makes me want to go DB. It’s a passing league and you can never have enough DBs. A safety would be a bad idea either. Although a TE would be nice if a good one is there. It’s nice actually being able to pick BPA. 

I was hoping that the D given the new players brought in and those that were lost last off season that it would take a while for them to get use to the way Frazier D is played . 

I also thought that they might get it figured out & be more comfortable by the time the play offs came around and get most of the injuries out of the way before then too so hopefully they are hitting their stride at the right time 🙏 !!

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Cutting him would’ve saved $8M less what his roster replacement cost.  Incidentally $1M of that is in per game active roster bonuses.  They’re saving a little bit by making him inactive since week 10 at least.  That’s not enough to make a big dent in either contract, but it wouldn’t have hurt.

I actually thought he’d be a solid, if unspectacular, early down contributor at DE this season.  After seeing our DE corps crippled by injuries last season I wanted depth and I did not want to have to depend on a rookie for a lot of snaps.  So keeping him made sense to me, but his time in B-lo looks very over now if he can’t even get on the active roster now. 

I hear you and hindsight is 20/20. But I think his roster replacement is Bryan Cox Jr or Mike Love so that's only $1M per season or less. Would have saved $7M. 

Protecting the near term against unknowns (like injuries) vs. planning long term is the constant struggle that Beane has to deal with and I don't mean to presume anyone could know the 'perfect' answer here. It's purely in hindsight it's regrettable that he wasn't cut before the season started. 

Who knows, maybe there will be an injury in the next few weeks and then Murphy is activated and with fresh legs plays a key role in the Super Bowl run!

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Hea doing his job.  Setting edge and making tackles when they come his way.  All we can ask of a rookie right now.