Mitch Morse Quote

40 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Link? Any further context to what was said?

It's on the Athletic site behind paywall.  The context was in an article about whom the Bills might cut next year to save money and that they didn't play him the week prior so the team may be ready to move on.  Then stated that Morse made a comment after the game about it.

Hadn't seen/heard anything prior.

2 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Reading an article in today's Athletic. It states:

Morse’s comments after the game made it sound as if the coaching staff sent him a message by leaving him out of the lineup in Week 10.

I don't recall hearing or reading anything,  Does anyone know what he stated?

They said "Your 96% pass block win rate, which is 4th best in the NFL for Centers isn't good enough!"

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

Look.....our O-Line is far from perfect.  And, Morse is a piece of that.  But if this coaching staff really thinks that he was a problem, and not one of the top 5 linemen on the team, I have no idea what they are looking at, especially with that big pile of trash Winters right next to him.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, sven233 said:

Look.....our O-Line is far from perfect.  And, Morse is a piece of that.  But if this coaching staff really thinks that he was a problem, and not one of the top 5 linemen on the team, I have no idea what they are looking at, especially with that big pile of trash Winters right next to him.

It's not as simple as who blocks more guys.

The Center has a lot of responsibility for making calls and adjustments for the line. If he isnt making the right reads and right calls, then that could be far worse than Winters missing a block. Heck, it could be WHY Winters has missed blocks.

If Feliciano is doing a better job reading the D and setting assignments at the line, then that's all we need to know.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Morse’s comments after the game made it sound as if the coaching staff sent him a message by leaving him out of the lineup in Week 10.

Can you link the article or give title and author?

I haven’t seen it put up as a separate video on the Bills.com website or official YouTube, but it’s in the “live” segment that goes up on facebook and twitter after the game.

I linked it in the post-game thread

I think it’s a stretch to interpret his comments as “sent him a message”. He said they were completely forthright and transparent, but it was left to the imagination of the listener what they were forthright and transparent about

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Can you link the article or give title and author?

I haven’t seen it put up as a separate video on the Bills.com website or official YouTube, but it’s in the “live” segment that goes up on facebook and twitter after the game.

I linked it in the post-game thread

I think it’s a stretch to interpret his comments as “sent him a message”. He said they were completely forthright and transparent, but it was left to the imagination of the listener what they were forthright and transparent about

Hers' the article from the Athletic website, the quote I posted is from the paragraph about Morse. 

I don't have anything from the post game press conference, that's why I was asking as would have thought someone would have posted Morse's comments as this article made it sound like he stated something rather "pointed"

https://theathletic.com/2236937/2020/12/03/bills-2021-salary-cap/

Doesn't really make sense to me to bench proven veterans in order to motivate them.  Who knows what would've happened if he played in that Arizona game.  Cardinals may have not even had a chance to win on a Hal Mary.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Hers' the article from the Athletic website, the quote I posted is from the paragraph about Morse. 

I don't have anything from the post game press conference, that's why I was asking as would have thought someone would have posted Morse's comments as this article made it sound like he stated something rather "pointed"

https://theathletic.com/2236937/2020/12/03/bills-2021-salary-cap/

I’ll try to find it.  They didn’t put it up on buffalobills.com or on the youtube feed that I saw.

I think it’s in here.  Yes.  9:40 in

1 hour ago, sven233 said:

Couldn’t agree more. Morse is a great center top 5 in the league. Winters is definitely not a top 5 guard. The staff needs to figure out how to send Winters a message to pick it up!

4 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

OK so really nothing conclusive either way as far as sending a message or whatever the reasons? 

Not that I heard as such.  Vic Carruci used the words “being benched” in his question and Morse didn’t object or correct.   He responded “it was great to be back out there with the guys” and then “for myself, I’ve got a lot to work on still.  I take responsibility for the Barkley sack and for the fumbled snap.”

But Morse almost always says something about a lot he’s got to clean up, a lot he can work on, etc etc in a postgame presser.

You could kind of infer that he was benched for performance issues and the team had been clear with him about laying out what those were and what changes they wanted to see, but it was certainly not unambiguous IMO, and it didn’t come across as “sending a message”, more like “this is how we grade you on these issues, this is how we’ve graded Mongo, we know these are things you can address”.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, sven233 said:

Basically we excel in pass blocking as a group and struggle in run blocking somewhat

1 minute ago, Penfield45 said:

I think we move on from Morse this offseason

his time here has been pretty disappointing. He hasn't been that all pro center we paid for 

So now you are just making stuff up? Not even remotely true.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Is he paid like the 4th best center? 

Actually it pretty dam- close, being that he was the highest paid center for about two minutes... a year or so ago, 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

"The coaching staff sent me a message by leaving me out of the lineup in Week 10," said Morse after the game.

This kind of rewording of other people’s words, to say the exact same thing, but call it my own is exactly how I got through high school. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Actually it pretty dam- close, being that he was the highest paid center for about two minutes... a year or so ago, 

My point exactly... he’s paid to be better than the fourth best center. And analytics don’t account for other errors, which could also include the leadership and protection calls/shifts of the rest of the line

22 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

When they make him the higest paid player at his position, perhaps.

Anyway....this was obvious to many before Morse confirmed it for us all.

Ah, because he's the highest paid center.  LOL!  Good one.  Like that's any reason to "bench" your best center, while still playing a scrub like Winters.

2 hours ago, sven233 said:

For the most part our OL have done a very good job protecting Josh. I think it's just frustration over the inconsistency of the running attack. But as others have accurately mentioned how about getting in Winters face. He the weakest link.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Ah, because he's the highest paid center.  LOL!  Good one.  Like that's any reason to "bench" your best center, while still playing a scrub like Winters.

Don't struggle with this one, doc.  He has confirmed that the staff didn't think he was cutting it so they sat him.  Had nothing to do with some sort of magic double secret concussion protocol....or whatever you keep pushing.