Week 9 Around the League

41 minutes ago, y2zipper said:

Where this whole experiment comes up short is that Arians is mediocre and easy to figure out.

Thanks, I thought I’m the only person who sees this. His offense is really basic, and does nothing unique. The dude benefited from being a Steelers coach, and getting a couple good years from Kurt Warner in AZ. It’s also fair to say his leadership skills are questionable. He throws players under the bus, has an acrimonious relationship history with Brown, but was basically forced to reunite with him. There’s not much about him that inspires confidence or says he’s a good leader imo. 

Just now, SirAndrew said:

Thanks, I thought I’m the only person who sees this. His offense is really basic, and does nothing unique. The dude benefited from being a Steelers coach, and getting a couple good years from Kurt Warner in AZ. It’s also fair to say his leadership skills are questionable. He throws players under the bus, has an acrimonious relationship history with Brown, but was basically forced to reunite with him. There’s not much about him that inspires confidence or says he’s a good leader imo. 

Brady is there largely because he doesn't want to work as hard as he did under BB.  Arians is largely known as a laid-back guy and it causes the issues often seen here in TB. The NFC largely doesn't have great teams, though.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, y2zipper said:

Brady is there largely because he doesn't want to work as hard as he did under BB.  Arians is largely known as a laid-back guy and it causes the issues often seen here in TB. The NFC largely doesn't have great teams, though.

Great points. Brady definitely seemed to choose the easier path for the twilight of his career. The Bucs seem to be a media darling Super Bowl pick. You’re correct that the NFC is up for grabs, but the Bucs haven’t looked good in either game against the Saints, and the Bears D handled Brady easily. I’m not seeing much to convince me the Bucs are real NFC contenders, because Brady looked terrible in games against teams they’d face in the playoffs. 

Edited by SirAndrew

1 minute ago, SirAndrew said:

Great points. Brady definitely seemed to choose the easier path for the twilight of his career. The Bucs seem to be a media darling Super Bowl pick. You’re correct that the NFC is up for grabs, but the Bucs haven’t looked good in either game against the Saints, and the Bears D handled Brady easily. I’m not seeing much to convince me the Bucs are real NFC contenders. 

They did stick it to GB. I think GB, NO and TB are the best teams in the NFC.

5 minutes ago, y2zipper said:

They did stick it to GB. I think GB, NO and TB are the best teams in the NFC.

Fair enough, It just seems like NO has handled Brady easily twice, so I don’t see him getting past the Saints. I still like the Seahawks as well. They can’t play defense, but Russell Wilson could out duel Brady. Brady still has his moments of greatness. He also continues to get older everyday, and I’m not buying into the propaganda that he’s the same Brady of old. It wouldn’t surprise me if Brady’s arm is a noodle by playoff time. 

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, K-9 said:

It’s a shame to see Brady struggling like this. 

Crazy, they all said Brees arm was shot and Brady was still a rifle. Seems the opposite held true. I thought with all the weapons, Brady would be firing on all cylinders tonight and took him on FanDuel.  Reverse that decision and go with Brees and I'm a couple grand richer. Tommy never fails to let me down.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Sean Payton must be the happiest man on earth right now. He has an excuse to get his boy Taysom out there. 

Don’t know why at this point they’d have brees in there at all unless they want him to

keep extending the td record.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, NobesBLO13 said:

Don’t know why at this point they’d have brees in there at all unless they want him to

keep extending the td record.

I think that’s exactly why. Even better to do it in Brady’s face.

I know that Kiko is a jerk, but the fact that Kiko Alonzo and Alex Anzalone didn’t become a star LB team for the ages is a huge missed opportunity....

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

Crazy, they all said Brees arm was shot and Brady was still a rifle. Seems the opposite held true. I thought with all the weapons, Brady would be firing on all cylinders tonight and took him on FanDuel.  Reverse that decision and go with Brees and I'm a couple grand richer. Tommy never fails to let me down.

That really sucks. Here’s to recouping the loss soon.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Couldn't see a Saints v Buccs thread. Did we not have one?

Monday morning reflections....

1. Great gameplan by Payton and the Saints. The reason the 3-4 has become very much the less used cousin of the 4-3 in the modern NFL is because of the ball out quick, underneath passing game. Drew had himself a game slicing and dicing the Buccaneers with tight ends and Kamara.

2. The Saints secondary can be inconsistent but when it turns up and plays it as good as any in the NFL. Lattimore was outstanding and the Buccs three big name superstar receivers were held in check.

3. I haven't bought Brady all season. He has had a couple of nice games but he just isn't the guy he was, that is a fact. Indeed he isn't even close. Happy feet, late on throws, and inaccurate.

4. Rather than bringing in Antonio Brown the Buccs should have focussed on the line and the running game. That has to be their primary plan IMO. Run it and use Brady on play action.

5. Their line isn't playing great either. I have never been a big Donovan Smith guy and he is struggling. Wirfs on the other side is having a decent rookie year but has had one or two WTF moments himself. Eventually the answer to me is put Wirfs at LT but not sure I'd jump to that yet while he still learns his craft.

6. When it works Taysom Hill is a weapon. I feel like Payton has done a better job of using him so far this year compared to last when it felt like he was forcing him onto the field.

what is it with Washington and the gruesome leg injuries to Qbs?

Theismann

Smith, who has come back from his own leg injury to replace Kyle Allen .

NFL great Joe Theismann laments another Washington QB getting injured in November

native American jinx?  any other team in the league through the years share a similar unfortunate experience of such bad luck injuries?

• Like (+1) 1

Who are we rooting for in tonight's ****show? On one hand a Jets win could hurt their chances at #1 pick and taking Lawrence. But I don't want NE to have such a bad record to where they enter the Justin Fields sweepstakes either.

4 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Who are we rooting for in tonight's ****show? On one hand a Jets win could hurt their chances at #1 pick and taking Lawrence. But I don't want NE to have such a bad record to where they enter the Justin Fields sweepstakes either.

I'm rooting for the Jets.  My disdain for the Patriots runs that deep.  I want nothing more than a weekend where Brady and the Patriots both lose.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, wjag said:

I'm rooting for the Jets.  My disdain for the Patriots runs that deep.  I want nothing more than a weekend where Brady and the Patriots both lose.

I hate both of them. A Jets win hurts their chances at the #1 pick. I will sign up for that. Need NE to win another game or two though. Don't want the Pats to have a shot at Fields.

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

I think I need the Jets to win a game at some point, they are running away with Lawrence right now. I don’t think they will do it tonight though. 

2 hours ago, wjag said:

This.  I'm not hopeful, but I'd like to see the Jets and Flacco pull one out.  I actually think Flacco has a better chance in this contest than Darnold would.  Darnold is a young QB still and Bill Belicheck can confuse him.  Flacco is "yeah yeah, seen that before"

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Greg S said:

J   E   T   S   JETS JETS JETS