Week 9: Seahawks at Bills

BillsMafi$

This may be upthread somewhere (I looked) but I found it a very good listen.

Greg Cosell generally knows his stuff

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/greg-cosell-on-bills-seahawks-and-week-9

Things I got from it:

Seattle: spends a lot of time in base D, 38%, 53% nickle, very little dime

Very little cover1, cover3 is their standard

On offense, highest % in the league of 1st down pass plays - 39%

Bills, Cosell feels what's been slowing Josh per se is not zone per se but disguised coverage with post-snap shifts.  (my take: Tenn and KC both did this very well; NE takes it to extremes).

Bills play nickle 88% of the time (my take: probably trying to cover up for their atrocious LB but Taron Johnson being exposed).   Have been using Tre' White as a boundary corner, Metcalf plays a lot of boundary

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan130 said:

One comment that really annoyed me from MCD as I heard this a few days ago... After the chiefs game his response to a question about the game was something like: “We were trying to keep it within striking distance”. 

Translation to me: “We were playing not to get blown out”, essentially.

And it was quite evident in that game as the Bills were playing “bend but don’t break” on defence the whole game.

I personally hate that mentality and I hope the bills don’t have that same philosophy this week.

I fully understand you can’t be reckless and blitz Wilson a ton as he’s going to burn you More than not.

But be more aggressive and have the mindset of “dominate “ opposed to, “hoping to keep it close late in the game and have a chance”.

I just think McD completely understands how short handed our D is this year.  If we had last year's D, I think it's a different story.  We lost too many up front and we've been banged up.

11 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

How has it taken this long for this stat to come out this week? Not to say the Seahawks aren’t good or anything like that, but they certainly haven’t been playing any top teams 

maybe the combines win rate is low because ... they all played the Seahawks?

30 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I just think McD completely understands how short handed our D is this year.  If we had last year's D, I think it's a different story.  We lost too many up front and we've been banged up.

I understand to a certain degree.

But you can’t just sit back all game like he did against the chiefs.

If that’s the game plan again, defence will be on the field for 40 minutes tomorrow.

47 minutes ago, Fred Slacks said:

It didn’t bother me at all. Do you remember who we fielded on defense in this game?  Also Tre White had his back issues ongoing. I don’t claim to coach at his level but a smart coach knows his personnel and will strategize with his talent. What was he supposed to do?  Match up Cam Lewis in man coverage with Tyreek Hill?  We have to be realistic. Right now we don’t have the horses on defense. With clear weather this Sunday I imagine the offense will have the pedal to the floor. MCD will be going for it on 4th and short. Less field goal attempts. It will be an aggressive offensive game plan (my opinion). 

No I’m not saying act reckless.

But there were No 3rd and short run blitzes, no pressure, no switching things up. 

Just rushed 4 in a vanilla zone defence all game no matter the down and distance. 

If he has that game plan again, Bills defence will once again be on the field for 40 minutes and will give up 200 yards rushing even with Seattle’s 3rd string RB.

31 minutes ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

maybe the combines win rate is low because ... they all played the Seahawks?

Well even if that's the case, Bills beat 3 teams with winning records (dolphins, Rams, raiders) to their 1 team (dolphins). 

So there's that in our favor. 

As we all become used to the new normal with Covid. A game like this with a team that passes so much would certainly allow the home field advantage to come into play. It’s tough to come to play in OP and Bills could really use the Bills Mafia. Same in going to Seattle. Where teams like the Dolphins it doesn’t matter as they have a weak fan base. That fan element Sunday would have just added that extra excitement to this match up. Hawks will be tough and travel East well. 

1 hour ago, BillsFan130 said:

I understand to a certain degree.

But you can’t just sit back all game like he did against the chiefs.

If that’s the game plan again, defence will be on the field for 40 minutes tomorrow.

No I’m not saying act reckless.

But there were No 3rd and short run blitzes, no pressure, no switching things up. 

Just rushed 4 in a vanilla zone defence all game no matter the down and distance. 

If he has that game plan again, Bills defence will once again be on the field for 40 minutes and will give up 200 yards rushing even with Seattle’s 3rd string RB.

Possibly. But Seattle’s defense is arguably worse than ours. Look at them statistically agains far worse teams. 

KC was a different opponent and as such required a different game plan. I honestly don’t think we have the horses on our defense to hold Seattle down. I think it’s going to come down to turnover/extra possessions. We need to have a clean game on offense, special teams, and probably need to force a turnover somewhere. Most likely we will need the ball at the end to squeak it out. But I like our chances in this game as much as I did against the Rams. 

I’m sticking to my prediction , 

Pound the ball , control the clock , and keep Wilson on the sidelines , commit them to stop the run and then make them pay of play action , 

this will be a lower scoring game then people think 

• Like (+1) 4

18 minutes ago, Putin said:

Pound the ball , control the clock , and keep Wilson on the sidelines , commit them to stop the run and then make them pay of play action , 

Hopefully. The best thing leading up to this week is all the bills fans wanting us to get in a shootout with this team. Play into Seattle’s hand and do what THEY do best lol. That’s a great strategy. If we get in a back and fourth pass happy game, we will lose. What we did against KC was actually smart. We needed to cash in on a few of those drives but that plan was the right idea. You just can’t get gashed on long runs and you actually have to cash in on yours. Asking them to run was the right idea. You just have to actually tackle them. Do not try and get in a shootout with Wilson. We won’t beat him. He’s too good. Make them beat you with their B game.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Putin said:

O, contraire! O, contraire!

Think this should be a shootout! If the Bills have any chance at winning this one then Allen will have to put 350+ yds and 3-4 TDs! A Bills victory resides solely on the shoulders of Josh Allen! Must play out of his mind tomorrow!

Zack Moss has been a quiet revelation the past 2 games. I see those wins differently then most people. I feel like the past 2 weeks is more sustainable then the first 4. I think getting Moss more involved could make us players in the AFC (come playoff time). I would keep trying to get him involved. Josh Allen is not the qb that you want to throw 40 times. He’s Cam Newton is his prime. We should be a balanced offense. Get Moss involved early and often and let Josh run the ball. That’s what makes him special. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If Seattle has any hope of winning they are going to need to out score Buffalo.  Not happening.  Buffalo gets the jump from the get go and Seattle chases them all day.  

58 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Zack Moss has been a quiet revelation the past 2 games. I see those wins differently then most people. I feel like the past 2 weeks is more sustainable then the first 4. I think getting Moss more involved could make us players in the AFC (come playoff time). I would keep trying to get him involved. Josh Allen is not the qb that you want to throw 40 times. He’s Cam Newton is his prime. We should be a balanced offense. Get Moss involved early and often and let Josh run the ball. That’s what makes him special. 

He’s not Cam Newton in his prime.. Allen has a much better arm than Newton has ever had.. Allen makes special throws that Newton simply cannot.. Allen’s issue is his confidence.. very humble but needs to be more meek.. He needs that quiet internal confidence and inner strength.. Kinda like Jerry Rice, Roger Staubach, Barry Sanders, Reggie White, Walter Payton etc... Guys that are quietly confident but at the same time GREAT.. Allen like the people I just mentioned has the talent to potentially be lumped in with these group of people.. The main thing I wish I would see out of Allen though is competitiveness and FIRE.. Too passive at times.

1 hour ago, Putin said:

Use clock or shootout, each offensive possession is important to get points.  How long it takes the Bills to score probably isn't as important.

2 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

As we all become used to the new normal with Covid. A game like this with a team that passes so much would certainly allow the home field advantage to come into play. It’s tough to come to play in OP and Bills could really use the Bills Mafia. Same in going to Seattle. Where teams like the Dolphins it doesn’t matter as they have a weak fan base. That fan element Sunday would have just added that extra excitement to this match up. Hawks will be tough and travel East well. 

sigh... yes, yes it would.  Too bad they couldn’t figure something out... but ya know.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

Use clock or shootout, each offensive possession is important to get points.  How long it takes the Bills to score probably isn't as important.

What’s important is to avoid 3 and outs we will not score on every possession but we can’t give Wilson a short field to work with , 

17 minutes ago, Putin said:

What’s important is to avoid 3 and outs we will not score on every possession but we can’t give Wilson a short field to work with , 

Every first down that Josh can engineer, whether it’s via the run or pass (and hopefully a good mix of both) will get him bonus points from our defense.  Our defense should be at least marginally better than theirs, especially if they’re not still gassed from the last sequence as they take the field...

2 hours ago, Putin said:

I'd disagree with this game plan.  We need to take on the Arizona model and pass heavily.  Plan to have our defense stop them a time or two more than theirs stop ours.  This is possible and we've seen it.  We just put our offense in a cacoon the last few games (injuries didn't help).  

Time to open it back up and stop trying to be balanced (this year) as it's not our O line strength.

1 minute ago, White Linen said:

I'd disagree with this game plan.  We need to take on the Arizona model and pass heavily.  Plan to have our defense stop them a time or two more than theirs stop ours.  This is possible and we've seen it.  We just put our offense in a cacoon the last few games (injuries didn't help).  

Time to open it back up and stop trying to be balanced (this year) as it's not our O line strength.

I guess will see , 
Just win baby Go Bills !!!

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

The best team they’ve beaten is the Fish.

Right. I think we can agree if we had played that schedule and were 6-1 the media would be totally slamming us for not playing anyone. I’ve not heard a peep from anyone in a media position about the hawks cupcake schedule up to this point. 

7 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Right. I think we can agree if we had played that schedule and were 6-1 the media would be totally slamming us for not playing anyone. I’ve not heard a peep from anyone in a media position about the hawks cupcake schedule up to this point. 

I think it’s because their offense has been performing so consistently at a high level, they don’t focus on anything else. Their OC, Brian Schottenheimer, has typically run pretty boring offenses. This year has been different. 

8 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Not elevating Lee is a mistake. We are going to be stuck with this Klein mess again

Del’Shawn ran a 4.59 40. Faster than Milano’s 4.67. Now...that doesn’t mean I think he can replace Milano or is better than Lee. But, we do have options outside of Klein. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Putin said:

I guess will see , 
Just win baby Go Bills !!!

Yeah for sure just want a win, I don't care if it's because we threw 4 times.  

I just think sometimes Bills fans hold on to the past of running the ball.  We don't have dynamic backs but we're sure set up to pass.  Seattle has issues and we have the personnel to exploit them.  Let's do that.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I thought that Bates played very well in his few snaps at center, but I don't know how you've seen enough of Bates from your living room couch to tell: 5 snaps vs MIA, 7 vs TEN, 7 vs NE

One comment from Feliciano that I thought was interesting and might possibly bear on what the Bills go with on Sunday given he's liable to be asked to go all game: he said his pec isn't 100% yet and playing Center all game was easier for him because he had help on both sides vs. playing guard.

That is an interesting comment from Feliciano. 

As for my “couch” comment, it was meant to be self deprecating, not serious. Meant to say I really know little. Thank you, for confirming that. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

If you are telling me He’s going to start and play, fine. I can’t see it though. 

No, I’m not telling you that. I honestly don’t know, but they see something in Del’Shawn, and I’d give him a shot sooner than I’d roll Klein back out there. Del’Shawn appears to be an athletic LB with some speed. Let’s see what happens. Honestly, Defense isn’t likely to win the game for us tomorrow anyway. If the offense can’t hang, we’re cooked. 

5 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Ive been telling friends this all week and they still don't believe the bills have any shot at winning

Some truly believing that the bills will lose by 20

This is really a tough game to predict but the only way we lose by 20 is if we turn the ball over , i really hope that smoke is healthy enough to take the top of that defense because with him AND Diggs Seattle will have their hands full for sure , don’t be surprised to see our running backs being a big part of our passing game 

Edited by Putin
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

O, contraire! O, contraire!

Think this should be a shootout! If the Bills have any chance at winning this one then Allen will have to put 350+ yds and 3-4 TDs! A Bills victory resides solely on the shoulders of Josh Allen! Must play out of his mind tomorrow!

Is Allen playing defense and special teams as well? 

• Like (+1) 1