League hands down ‘Enough Covid!’ Penalties will be given going forward

Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please keep discussion in this thread narrowly focused on football and directly football-relevant issues.

Two Bills Drive no longer finds it appropriate to engage in COVID-19 (or political) discussion in our main discussion areas. We are a Buffalo Bills fan community and we exist to serve fans of the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Please use other communities and venues to discuss heath-related topics including COVID-19, and political issues.

Information about COVID-19 is available from many globally respected sources including:

Uptodate     |  British Medical Journal Best Practice   |      COVIPENDIUM    |    Our world in Data

The pinned topic: COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic, located on the Off the Wall subforum, is also a resource.   Should these not meet your needs, many other sources of information (of varied accuracy) exist.

Thank you!

4 minutes ago, BringBackFlutie said:

So, basically confirming that the outbreak on the Titans was due to non-compliance.

🤷‍♂️ I ass/u/me so.. That, and the League is really ‘up against it’ regarding rescheduling games, playoff weekends, the Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 2

I understand the compliance part, and handing out stiff penalties.  But making it tougher for tryouts, signings, etc you're penalizing teams that maybe did nothing wrong.

Even NE I know we hate feel bad for NE, but in this case since so far only Cam tested positive, seems like Cam did something stupid so why penalize the team.  Or maybe it's not even his fault.

15 minutes ago, BringBackFlutie said:

So, basically confirming that the outbreak on the Titans was due to non-compliance.

Pretty much, Yep. 

image.thumb.png.a93058068732bbbf6f217c6ebd7d811f.png

What I think kind of sucks is prohibiting gatherings outside the facility. 

Depending upon just what that means and how its implemented, that could make it hard to build rappore on the team.

26 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I think it means the League will have to dramatically alter the season/post season.

Batten down the hatches, teams! Fines, loss of Draft picks & forfeitures await violators.

image.thumb.png.2556536bd2cedb71f3053cafa24211c4.png

image.thumb.png.7f2458d4b9ceb863c6849c1b9050e1ca.png

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, mattynh said:

Because Im a Bills fan and I dont want my team to forfeit a game.  You think it's not an option for a Bills player to mess up?

There's nothing with the Bills to make an example of.

33 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I understand the compliance part, and handing out stiff penalties.  But making it tougher for tryouts, signings, etc you're penalizing teams that maybe did nothing wrong.

Even NE I know we hate feel bad for NE, but in this case since so far only Cam tested positive, seems like Cam did something stupid so why penalize the team.  Or maybe it's not even his fault.

Cam is part of the team.  Arguably the most important part.

57 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I think it means the League will have to dramatically alter the season/post season.

Batten down the hatches, teams! Fines, loss of Draft picks & forfeitures await violators.

I'm ColoradoBills and I approve this message.  It's got to be a self imposed bubble for the most part.

Teams not complying need to face consequences including our Bills.

• Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

🤷‍♂️ I ass/u/me so.. That, and the League is really ‘up against it’ regarding rescheduling games, playoff weekends, the Super Bowl.

Also might be from the league not liking their limited options to punish the Raiders dipshittery.

13 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

OK, but unless you decide to put everyone in a bubble, how can the league or team control what one player might decide to do.  Cam goes to a party tonight, that becomes the teams fault?

To some sort of a degree, yes.  The league wants them to be in their own imposed "bubble" without actually mandating it.

I tend to agree with it and I guess others don't.

7 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

OK, but unless you decide to put everyone in a bubble, how can the league or team control what one player might decide to do.  Cam goes to a party tonight, that becomes the teams fault?

I generally agree with you under most circumstances, but yes the league should approach this collectively. The Titans, in theory could have single handidly tanked the entire league last week. And with the way the Raiders are behaving they are lucky they have not yet. 

So yes, if Cam goes to a party, catches Covid, comes to practice, spreads it, then yes, it is the team and the league. Now we are talking about losing games, make up games, TV contracts etc. Once you start messing with TV contracts, you are in a world of hurt. That is when we start having a cap of $175M. So yes, Cam could, in theory, crash the cap to $175M all by him self. 

That said, I think the new release from the league two things. 1. They came dangerously close to shutting down this week, at least temporarily, and they are trying to get ahead of that happening down the line. And 2. They are very clearly telling the Raiders specifically to get their collective shirts together or they will start ripping games, draft picks, etc. from them. 

I think if the Raiders keep this up, teams should have the opportunity to opt out of playing them all together. I think the Bills should have had that option this weekend. If the team can't operate in a way that opposing teams feel comfortable not risking their own health, then that is on Vegas. They have had such a blatant disregard for safety and viability of the league in a pandemic from the top down, it is embarrassing to watch. Titans seem to be a bit tight lipped at the moment. For everybody's sake, I hope they stop testing positive. If they get back in house and test positive again later this week. It should not be a reschedule, it should be a forfeit. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, MJS said:

There's nothing with the Bills to make an example of.

Today.  They are 22-30 year olds largely.   Brains are not even fully mature for some.  They are not incapable of making a bad decision.  Do you really think they are that special?  I do think organizationally they are near the top of the league but any team could be the example if someone steps out of line. 

Edited by mattynh

43 minutes ago, Mango said:

I generally agree with you under most circumstances, but yes the league should approach this collectively. The Titans, in theory could have single handidly tanked the entire league last week. And with the way the Raiders are behaving they are lucky they have not yet. 

So yes, if Cam goes to a party, catches Covid, comes to practice, spreads it, then yes, it is the team and the league. Now we are talking about losing games, make up games, TV contracts etc. Once you start messing with TV contracts, you are in a world of hurt. That is when we start having a cap of $175M. So yes, Cam could, in theory, crash the cap to $175M all by him self. 

That said, I think the new release from the league two things. 1. They came dangerously close to shutting down this week, at least temporarily, and they are trying to get ahead of that happening down the line. And 2. They are very clearly telling the Raiders specifically to get their collective shirts together or they will start ripping games, draft picks, etc. from them. 

I think if the Raiders keep this up, teams should have the opportunity to opt out of playing them all together. I think the Bills should have had that option this weekend. If the team can't operate in a way that opposing teams feel comfortable not risking their own health, then that is on Vegas. They have had such a blatant disregard for safety and viability of the league in a pandemic from the top down, it is embarrassing to watch. Titans seem to be a bit tight lipped at the moment. For everybody's sake, I hope they stop testing positive. If they get back in house and test positive again later this week. It should not be a reschedule, it should be a forfeit. 

I didn't want to take the time to describe what I (and it seems the league) believe to be the proper way to continue the season.   You did an excellent

job saying what I think!

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Pretty much, Yep. 

image.thumb.png.a93058068732bbbf6f217c6ebd7d811f.png

What I think kind of sucks is prohibiting gatherings outside the facility. 

Depending upon just what that means and how its implemented, that could make it hard to build rappore on the team.

image.thumb.png.2556536bd2cedb71f3053cafa24211c4.png

image.thumb.png.7f2458d4b9ceb863c6849c1b9050e1ca.png

Most important part IMO: Players will not be paid for missed games.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Today.  They are 22-30 year olds largely.   Brains are not even fully mature for some.  They are not incapable of making a bad decision.  Do you really think they are that special?  I do think organizationally they are near the top of the league but any team could be the example if someone steps out of line. 

What are you even talking about? Why are you trying to manufacture an issue when there is none?

1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

New Covid penalty.

This has to be for Coaches and other sideline personnel.  Unless I've missed something during the first 4 weeks - the players aren't wearing face coverings during the game.
But the first time a flag is thrown for this - folks will go thru the roof!
Edited by Blainorama5
  • Like (+1) 1

This should be done Marine Corp boot camp style, one guy on the team Fs up and the whole team takes it on the chin, from the owner down to the towel boy, it becomes self correcting in a big azs hurry when you cause your teammates to not get a paycheck. No more halfazerry by the league, they need to kick some azs to get this thing corrected. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/5/2020 at 7:05 PM, Limeaid said:

Most important part IMO: Players will not be paid for missed games.

I think the most important part is "individual players, staff and clubs have been disciplined as a result". 

Past tense meaning Titans aren't getting punished otherwise I feel like we would have heard other than the rumors of the punishment. 

Unless I'm forgetting a player that has been punished. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/5/2020 at 2:06 PM, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

If Cam did something careless to jeopardize the rest of his team and opponents then that's on NE. They signed this clown knowing his antics. NE, Gilmore etc deserve everything they get. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

New Covid penalty.

Ahh..  The John Harbaugh rule

44 minutes ago, Blainorama5 said:
This has to be for Coaches and other sideline personnel.  Unless I've missed something during the first 4 weeks - the players aren't wearing face coverings during the game.

Harbaugh was screaming at a ref without his mask.  Right in his grill as coaches do.  Ref Union was po'd.  

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Blainorama5 said:

Yes coaches like to remove their masks when yelling at officials which defeats the whole purpose

• Like (+1) 1