Cam Newton tests positive for Covid, OUT Sunday v Chiefs UPDATE: Game postponed

Process
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please tightly restrict conversation in this thread to football and football-relevant matters.

Two Bills Drive no longer finds it appropriate to engage in COVID-19 discussion in our main discussion areas. (This includes your opinion about the incubation/infectious period, interval before a positive test, and infection control measures the NFL should employ, and this means YOU.) We are a Buffalo Bills fan community and we exist to serve fans of the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Please use other communities and venues to discuss heath-related topics including COVID-19. 

Information about COVID-19 is available from many globally respected sources including:

Uptodate     |  British Medical Journal Best Practice   |      COVIPENDIUM    |    Our world in Data

The pinned topic: COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic, located on the Off the Wall subforum, is also a resource.   Should these not meet your needs, many other sources of information (of varied accuracy) exist.

Thank you!

Just now, bills6969 said:

How is it possible that only he tested positive and not any other teammates? I’d be shocked if other Pats players or coaches don’t test positive as well. I bet the NE KC gets postponed.

AJ Terrell tested positive for the Falcons, and it never spread. 

Just now, ScottLaw said:

I mean this was bound to happen at some point... now it's on the league to handle it properly.

True.  They really need to understand that adding extra weeks to the season is NOT a bad thing at all, we as fans are all good with that if it keeps football live.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

How is it possible that only he tested positive and not any other teammates? I’d be shocked if other Pats players or coaches don’t test positive as well. I bet the NE KC gets postponed.

it happened with the Falcons. It’s possible, but we’ll see what happens. The reality is that this is still just a viral disease. Players get the flu regularly without it cascading throughout the locker room as there are so many factors involved. Hopefully it doesn’t turn into an outbreak. 

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

WOW! I woulda thought that bonnet of his would be enough to ward off anything!

29A96551-C272-4016-99B5-78C11BDBB7A9.jpeg

I see Covid is really lowering its standards....

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Woooow....so only him? This could get really interesting. Prayers up for him....and prayers for our Bills that we can stay Covid free this season.

Agreed. I just think it's a very good chance that at some point a Bills player/players will end up picking it up.  I hope/believe that they are prepared if it happens and I think they are following the rules like they should, but sometimes that just isn't enough.

Be great if the Bills and the rest of the league can stop this spread right where it is now. That's a difficult thing to do though, so yes, prayers for all and everyone else outside of football also.

Just now, Chandler#81 said:

So only Cam huh 🤔. That almost seems impossible. What happened with the Titans is how the virus behaves. I would be highly skeptical if I'm the Chris about playing in this game. The timing is terrible.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Process said:

Pats statement says he tested positive late last night. How he hell can they be sure no other pats players have it? No way they can play the game, can they?

Based on what the way the falcons played the Aj Terrell positive test, they can play.  Based on how the titans situation played out, it should be cancelled.  

time for the league to make or break this season

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

Wondering if it could be one of those false positives maybe? Guess we will see soon enough.

1 minute ago, Process said:

Pats statement says he tested positive late last night. How he hell can they be sure no other pats players have it? No way they can play the game, can they?

No idea. The reality is that your starting QB is very likely to have had interaction with more guys than anyone else.

I've also read somehting recently, that said that Cam has been all over the Patsies facility, getting to know people, and they were gushing about his leadership qualities, including Belicheck

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This is so garbage.  I’m a huge Cam and respect him for battling back.  I also hate that Brady left.  I think we have a Bills team that was good enough to legit beat the Pats and this whole season is going to have a giant asterisk now.  

All the Patriots SB's have asterisks, just get the Super Bowl ring if there is one and get out of Dodge. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

Does anyone else get the feeling that dominoes are starting to fall?

Yes dominoes are going to start to fall.  Players who could not stop smoking weed to keep getting paid millions of dollars are not going to be able to follow rules thru Superbowl.  Some just do not have the will power.

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This is so garbage.  I’m a huge Cam and respect him for battling back.  I also hate that Brady left.  I think we have a Bills team that was good enough to legit beat the Pats and this whole season is going to have a giant asterisk now.  

Well if it does, then it will have an asterisk for every team, not just the Bills.

Because this is Cam, it will necessarily gather much more attention. But the fact is, the Falcons had a player (A.J. Terrell) test positive last week, he didn't play, all other tests came back fine, they played Bears Sunday, no Falcons or Bears got sick. Same procedures in place.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Yes dominoes are going to start to fall.  Players who could not stop smoking weed to keep getting paid millions of dollars are not going to be able to follow rules thru Superbowl.  Some just do not have the will power.

LMAO. 

6 minutes ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

True.  They really need to understand that adding extra weeks to the season is NOT a bad thing at all, we as fans are all good with that if it keeps football live.

No extra weeks being added to season is a bad thing.  Forfeits are the proper response if a team cannot play.  Adding extra games (not an entire bye week for league) hurts teams who will be in playoffs and need to play an extra game while other playoff teams rest and get healthy.

Yeah Covid is contagious but you can nave players with the flu or whatever and not everyone will catch it. It's not THAT contagious.

He'll be quarantined and come back. It's NO BIG DEAL if it doesn't spread to other players. Of course that's the main thing, the big "if". And not because it's so dangerous to athletes - check out stats will you? - but because they can spread it to family members, they can't play, etc.

The practice squads are bigger this season for cases like this. It is a story no doubt, but not this cataclysmic one some of you make out of it. 

If it hasn't spread, it's the equivalent of Newton having sprained his ankle in practice or something.

1 minute ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Because this is Cam, it will necessarily gather much more attention. But the fact is, the Falcons had a player (A.J. Terrell) test positive last week, he didn't play, all other tests came back fine, they played Bears Sunday, no Falcons or Bears got sick. Same procedures in place.

Lets hope this ends up the same scenario. Don't know if anyone is still getting false positives but I guess that could be a possibility also. Unless he is sick and showing symptoms.

Just now, Limeaid said:

No extra weeks being added to season is a bad thing.  Forfeits are the proper response if a team cannot play.  Adding extra games (not an entire bye week for league) hurts teams who will be in playoffs and need to play an extra game while other playoff teams rest and get healthy.

No one's saying that anything about this is ideal.  But would you rather they just cancel the season? 

• Thank you (+1) 1