Cam Newton tests positive for Covid, OUT Sunday v Chiefs UPDATE: Game postponed

Process
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please tightly restrict conversation in this thread to football and football-relevant matters.

Two Bills Drive no longer finds it appropriate to engage in COVID-19 discussion in our main discussion areas. (This includes your opinion about the incubation/infectious period, interval before a positive test, and infection control measures the NFL should employ, and this means YOU.) We are a Buffalo Bills fan community and we exist to serve fans of the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Please use other communities and venues to discuss heath-related topics including COVID-19. 

Information about COVID-19 is available from many globally respected sources including:

Uptodate     |  British Medical Journal Best Practice   |      COVIPENDIUM    |    Our world in Data

The pinned topic: COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic, located on the Off the Wall subforum, is also a resource.   Should these not meet your needs, many other sources of information (of varied accuracy) exist.

Thank you!

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I hope you’re right. But the nfl is by far the worst run of the sports leagues.  Roger is a moron. 

As much as we gripe about Roger, NFL is by far the best run of the major sports.  Not really close, either.

• Like (+1) 2

I wonder if this development will force the tv networks to re-think their coverage for tomorrow.

Almost the entire country was going to get the NE vs. KC game.

Now maybe I have a shot at the BUF vs. LV game instead.

Our game is now much more interesting to the average objective fan, I would think, compared to the NE game minus Cam.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, mannc said:

As much as we gripe about Roger, NFL is by far the best run of the major sports.  Not really close, either.

Totally disagree brah.  Football is just the best sport and a monkey could run it and make a ton of money.  The players were complaining during camps about the NFL’s plans for the season.  

10 minutes ago, McBean said:

NFL isn't going to finish the season when the Bills are finally Super Bowl contenders.

Just our luck.

Right? We'll' be like 5-0 or 4-1 and the season will get cancelled.

So Billsy........

Edited by Real McNasty

Just now, Nextmanup said:

I wonder if this development will force the tv networks to re-think their coverage for tomorrow.

Our game is now much more interesting to the average objective fan, I would think, compared to the NE game minus Cam.

I expect if the KC game turns into a bloodbath the network may switch coverage. 

If NE D manages to contain Mahomes and it remains a close game, that would be a heck of a story line so they'll stay with it.

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

That's what I'm hoping for. But I doubt they will change it since it's tomorrow. But guess you never know.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't get this concept of "tainted", @BillsFanSD.  I mean, I know some people will say stuff, but they would say stuff if the player were out for a couple of games with a physical injury or a different illness like Mono.

Oh, please. It's 2020. What kind of chucklehead gets mono? :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

Atlanta had a guy out of their game last week with a positive Covid test.  

Im sorry Cam has it, but if no other Patriots test positive they should play. i’m sure Belichek doesn’t want to play without his best QB so i anticipate the Pats do what they can do to get this game rescheduled 

• Like (+1) 1

I think people are questioning if the game will play because of 1. Who the player is that got the positive result and 2. Because of what’s happening with the Titans.

Saying that, no one thought anything of the Falcons/Bears match up last week when a player tested positive close to the game. If NE** has followed protocol there should be no reason why this game can’t go forward. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't get this concept of "tainted", @BillsFanSD.  I mean, I know some people will say stuff, but they would say stuff if the player were out for a couple of games with a physical injury or a different illness like Mono.

This. 

Also, how is it less impressive if team A manages to avoid covid and win a championship? If anything this is more impressive as it demonstrates the teams commitment to adapting and doing what it takes. 

Hap, is there any supplements our boys can start OD'in on to help avoid it? Should we just start mailing care packages of Vitamin C and fish oil to OBD??

29 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

How is it possible that only he tested positive and not any other teammates? I’d be shocked if other Pats players or coaches don’t test positive as well. I bet the NE KC gets postponed.

So they have that proximity monitor they're all supposed to wear.  I guess it will depend upon who qualifies as a close contact based on the proximity detector; I'm sure they're all being re-checked.

Maybe Cam was out clubbing in Vegas.

1 minute ago, IDBillzFan said:

If they delay this game because ONE player is sick, then I'll start supplying the pitchforks.

How many days in a row have Titans players been diagnosed since their first case?

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

This. 

Also, how is it less impressive if team A manages to avoid covid and win a championship? If anything this is more impressive as it demonstrates the teams commitment to adapting and doing what it takes. 

Hap, is there any supplements our boys can start OD'in on to help avoid it? Should we just start mailing care packages of Vitamin C and fish oil to OBD??

Thank god there is nothing to do in Buffalo!!!!

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I think people are questioning if the game will play because of 1. Who the player is that got the positive result and 2. Because of what’s happening with the Titans.

Saying that, no one thought anything of the Falcons/Bears match up last week when a player tested positive close to the game. If NE** has followed protocol there should be no reason why this game can’t go forward. 

I think the fact that we only see one + in NE is a positive... Didn't we hear about like 5 cases all at once in the Titans lockerroom? Seems like an isolated + could be mean it's not going to cause any major damage. 

2 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Damn Patriots will do everything in their power to get this game rescheduled for a later date.  even if no one else tests positive. They don’t want Stidham facing KC 

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The players were complaining during camps about the NFL’s plans for the season.  

So what?  Not sure what their complaints were.  They wouldn’t be very happy in a bubble, I’ll tell you that.  

I think the NFL’s Covid plan is by far the best of the lot.  So far it’s actually worked really well.  There were (and are) bound to be problems along the way, it’s worked better than I expected.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This is so garbage.  I’m a huge Cam and respect him for battling back.  I also hate that Brady left.  I think we have a Bills team that was good enough to legit beat the Pats and this whole season is going to have a giant asterisk now.  

While I agree, there will be many who might question the Bills (hopeful) success this season if they end up playing teams with key starters missing due to Covid, however, with everything Bills fans have endured over the years....I'll take a big steaming pile of asterisks if it means we win it all.

26 minutes ago, Process said:

Pats statement says he tested positive late last night. How he hell can they be sure no other pats players have it? No way they can play the game, can they?

Wouldn't think so with it being less than 48 hours till game time if we look at how they handled the Titans situation.  The NFL cancelled the Titans-Steelers game with like 4 or 5 days till kick off and the Titans are still having new players and staff test positive for Covid some 4 or 5 days after the initial positives. 

That said, I think it really depends on if spread is shown. Which would mean another player or staff would have to test positive between now and tomorrow morning. The NFL doesn't test on Sunday mornings but I would assume they make an exception to that rule if a player has tested positive a day prior.

But given how Titans players and staff are testing positive 4-5 days after initial breakout I would assume negative tests from all other Patriots players and staff today and tomorrow morning does not necessarily mean they are not carriers. 

1 minute ago, 716er said:

How many days in a row have Titans players been diagnosed since their first case?

Any how many Falcons players tested positive after one did last friday? 

1 positive test is an anomaly, 5 is an outbreak. The first time we knew anything was up in Ten was when we heard of 5. There's no reason to assume this is Titans and not Falcons. We'll see what happens. 

39 minutes ago, Process said:

First big name to miss a game.

Lucky for the Patriots they play the chiefs and broncos next two weeks. Two games they have very little chance of winning/losing with or without Cam.

they have more than a fighting chance @KC, especially with Belichick as their head coach.  However, losing Cam for that game make it that much tougher!

Just now, mannc said:

So what?  Not sure what their complaints were.  They wouldn’t be very happy in a bubble, I’ll tell you that.  

I think the NFL’s Covid plan is by far the best of the lot.  So far it’s actually worked really well.  There were (and are) bound to be problems along the way, it’s worked better than I expected.

Not to mention, the players ultimately agreed to the plan to move forward, so they can keep their complaints to themselves.

Just now, whatdrought said:

I think the fact that we only see one + in NE is a positive... Didn't we hear about like 5 cases all at once in the Titans lockerroom? Seems like an isolated + could be mean it's not going to cause any major damage. 

Yea that’s the positive you take away from it. And it appears that the Titans didn’t follow protocol after their positive test result last Saturday.

Further, look at the Vikings. This is also a positive as so far it appears it hasn’t spread to another team after a game was played.

There has to be a break down in the Titans following protocol just looking at this.

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Any how many Falcons players tested positive after one did last friday? 

1 positive test is an anomaly, 5 is an outbreak. The first time we knew anything was up in Ten was when we heard of 5. There's no reason to assume this is Titans and not Falcons. We'll see what happens. 

I hope so.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

That's what I'm hoping for. But I doubt they will change it since it's tomorrow. But guess you never know.

I have noticed late changes several times.

Just last week, when the TV maps came out on the Wednesday before, I was supposed to get the Bills vs. Rams game down here in SE FL.

Turned the TV on a bit before 1:00pm on Sunday only to see they had changed the game!  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

This. 

@whatdrought current board policy precludes discussion of supplements and their value on the main board.  Thanks.

Best path: Following the NFL protocols about mask wearing,  distancing, and socializing only in small groups.  Extending them to all activities (Church, restaurants).

I believe @JGMcD2 kindly shared these in another thread:

I think I'm OK to respond thus far.

24 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Yeah, I agree. There is some flaring up in my area, numerous high school kids that are playing sports are testing positive, I know our local area kids got it from going to visit friends at college. 

Same here. In the Binghamton area there are currently twice as many positives as at any time during this crap.

It is what it is.