Cam Newton tests positive for Covid, OUT Sunday v Chiefs UPDATE: Game postponed

Process
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please tightly restrict conversation in this thread to football and football-relevant matters.

Two Bills Drive no longer finds it appropriate to engage in COVID-19 discussion in our main discussion areas. (This includes your opinion about the incubation/infectious period, interval before a positive test, and infection control measures the NFL should employ, and this means YOU.) We are a Buffalo Bills fan community and we exist to serve fans of the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Please use other communities and venues to discuss heath-related topics including COVID-19. 

Information about COVID-19 is available from many globally respected sources including:

Uptodate     |  British Medical Journal Best Practice   |      COVIPENDIUM    |    Our world in Data

The pinned topic: COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic, located on the Off the Wall subforum, is also a resource.   Should these not meet your needs, many other sources of information (of varied accuracy) exist.

Thank you!

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

So what?  Not sure what their complaints were.  They wouldn’t be very happy in a bubble, I’ll tell you that.  

I think the NFL’s Covid plan is by far the best of the lot.  So far it’s actually worked really well.  There were (and are) bound to be problems along the way, it’s worked better than I expected.

How is the nfl’s plan better than the NBA or NHL? They didn’t have one player get it.  Those plans were perfect. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Wouldn't think so with it being less than 48 hours till game time if we look at how they handled the Titans situation.  The NFL cancelled the Titans-Steelers game with like 4 or 5 days till kick off and the Titans are still having new players and staff test positive for Covid some 4 or 5 days after the initial positives. 

That said, I think it really depends on if spread is shown. Which would mean another player or staff would have to test positive between now and tomorrow morning. The NFL doesn't test on Sunday mornings but I would assume they make an exception to that rule if a player has tested positive a day prior.

But given how Titans players and staff are testing positive 4-5 days after initial breakout I would assume negative tests from all other Patriots players and staff today and tomorrow morning does not necessarily mean they are not carriers. 

But this has happened before close to a game.

There is no reason to assume this is Titans and not Falcons, which happened just last week. Titans has 1 positive case, then had 5 all at once. The fact it’s only 1 person is a positive.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

@whatdrought current board policy precludes duscussion. 

Following the NFL protocols about mask wearing,  distancing, and socializing only in small groups best route, and extending them to all activities.

I believe @JGMcD2 kindly shared these in another thread:

I think I'm OK to respond this far.

Thanks. I was mostly just joking about the supplements, but I appreciate your (mods) care in this stuff. :P

16 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Not wishing anything bad for Cam or any of the Pats players or coaches, but if the game gets postponed the Bills game will be televised locally for me. So my vote is to postpone the game until Monday or Tuesday so they can properly assess the situation

You can watch for free on Bills app 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

How could you even do a bubble for regular season in the NFL? You'd need something like 10 - 15 NFL sized fields.... 

I mean, don't get me wrong, that would be awesome and I would pay so much to be in the bubble... But it seems impractical. 

It’s true.  Football is by far the hardest sport to organize with this BS. Too many people and you can only play games once a week.

• Like (+1) 2

Why not put this in the long, highly active thread discussing that situation?

Just now, Joe Ferguson said:

Because of only one player?

No, it would be because of how late a player tested positive, relative to the game.

The presumption being more players have it but it will take time to determine that.

7 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

If they delay this game because ONE player is sick, then I'll start supplying the pitchforks.

Agreed.  Unless it’s a full-on outbreak, like in Tennessee, it should be treated just like any other illness or injury. Luck of the draw...

I get the dread about the season potentially being shuttered, but the reality is that these guys would be getting it out in the world if they weren't playing football and are probably safer as is considering precautions and testing... That being said, I for one am happy to be hopeful until we see what happens. I will tune in and watch our MVP QB as many times as possible. (and then watch the highlights throughout the week) 

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Wayne Cubed said:

But this has happened before close to a game.

There is no reason to assume this is Titans and not Falcons, which happened just last week. Titans has 1 positive case, then had 5 all at once. The fact it’s only 1 person is a positive.

Yeah I agree. I think the NFL's threshold for shut down is spread through a team to either players or staff. So it will depend on what the tests show tomorrow morning before Sunday nights game. Assuming they test everyone again tomorrow because they initially said they would not test on game days.

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

So what?  Not sure what their complaints were.  They wouldn’t be very happy in a bubble, I’ll tell you that.  

I think the NFL’s Covid plan is by far the best of the lot.  So far it’s actually worked really well.  There were (and are) bound to be problems along the way, it’s worked better than I expected.

Yeah, there’s only so much you can do. People always seem to blame any player for testing positive as a character lapse, but the truth is anyone can catch this virus in a variety of ways. We all knew the football season was going to be strange. It’s just something to deal with, but we’ll all see what happens I suppose. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

Well I would argue that we really don't know how well it will work. Have to consider that it's only week 4 also and we have Titains, Falcons, and now Pats , so it's a possibility this could go downhill.