Cam Newton tests positive for Covid, OUT Sunday v Chiefs UPDATE: Game postponed

Process
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please tightly restrict conversation in this thread to football and football-relevant matters.

Two Bills Drive no longer finds it appropriate to engage in COVID-19 discussion in our main discussion areas. (This includes your opinion about the incubation/infectious period, interval before a positive test, and infection control measures the NFL should employ, and this means YOU.) We are a Buffalo Bills fan community and we exist to serve fans of the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Please use other communities and venues to discuss heath-related topics including COVID-19. 

Information about COVID-19 is available from many globally respected sources including:

Uptodate     |  British Medical Journal Best Practice   |      COVIPENDIUM    |    Our world in Data

The pinned topic: COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic, located on the Off the Wall subforum, is also a resource.   Should these not meet your needs, many other sources of information (of varied accuracy) exist.

Thank you!

1 minute ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I think that is exactly it. If spread is shown through either locker room they will postpone the game till a later week in the season just like they did with the Titans-Steelers game.

Yep I was saying in the titans thread, It seems to me that the league is going to start leveraging Tuesday nights for games when they can, when late positives come in. Won’t always be possible - like if one team has a Thursday game the “next” week. It appears to depend on whether more positives come in over 3 day period. With titans, they did. If it is just cam and the PS player from chiefs, they will play mon or tues 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

Sorry if I’m dense... what does postponing the NE-KC game one or two days really do?  Is it a hedge in case even more players test positive?

Thats what I think the reason is.  Probably trying to make sure it hasn't spread through out the team.  Im guessing it has at least spread a little bit through practice this week.

16 minutes ago, The Dean said:

"No chance" against the Broncos? They have a chance to beat the Broncos with Stidham at QB, IMO. Who will be Denver's QB?

Exactly my first thought. Do they still start releasing positive names with the first positive?  Seems like there have been a number of false positives in the NFL previously.

I definately wish Cam well and hope this is simply a mistake.

Yes, weed smoking leads to Covid 19. I know that's isn't exactly what you are saying, but your logic is just as warped.

Fortunately the league isn't stupid enough to forfeit the games a team can't play because of a world wide pandemic. They would be far better to cancel the season for all, than to punish teams for succumbing to some thing they CAN NOT control. A person can do plenty to minimize their chances, but still get infected.

I have no idea. I have yet to see anything stating his symptoms yet (if they even will state it). But hopefully it's one of those false positives. Even if it is a false they still have to take precautions as if it weren't. So we will see

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Yea, I would agree with you there. It could definitely be worse. Just hope that going forward that the NFL can somehow manage to not have anymore cases. Easier said than done obviously, but hopefully all players coaches etc will follow the guide lines to a T and maybe they can keep this at bay.

Realistically, this kinda stuff is probably going to happen every week.  The good news is that, from what I’ve read, the NFL is using the very best testing technology, and false positives are pretty unlikely.  Hopefully after all these players make fast and full recoveries, the fear factor will start to recede.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Two big changes for the Bills cause of this:

Tomorrow's game will likely be national.

I doubt we play the Chiefs on TNF the 15th, as that would be 3 games in 10 days for them (if the tuesday thing happens)

Yup I would think this to be the case as well now that you mention it. I had not gotten that far ahead and looked at the Chiefs schedule. But yea, no way they would play 3 games in 10 days.

Be interesting to see how they move Bills/ Chiefs game around.

1 minute ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Yup I would think this to be the case as well now that you mention it. I had not gotten that far ahead and looked at the Chiefs schedule. But yea, no way they would play 3 games in 10 days.

Im guessing they would push it to Sunday and have no TNF game that week.  However, I have a feeling this Chiefs/Pats game isn't going to be played this week.  Especially if there's more positive cases

14 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

Sorry if I’m dense... what does postponing the NE-KC game one or two days really do?  Is it a hedge in case even more players test positive?

They were supposed to fly today.  You can't put a whole team on a plane before everyone has been tested.  If they can't fly today they aren't playing tomorrow.  

6 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Can just move to Sunday 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

When can a player officially return from quarantine and be eligible to play again? Newton is the first high profile player that may miss a game. He is certainly out for a game Monday or Tuesday but could he be eligible for a game next Sunday if he tests negative the day before the game?

I think it's something like 2 negative tests 24 hours apart? I could be wrong on that... 

6 minutes ago, mannc said:

Realistically, this kinda stuff is probably going to happen every week.  The good news is that, from what I’ve read, the NFL is using the very best testing technology, and false positives are pretty unlikely.  Hopefully after all these players make fast and full recoveries, the fear factor will start to recede.

Well at the beginning of TC or right before the season started (believe my timeline is correct here) I remember a few of the Bills players had quite a few false positives if I remember correctly. Are they using a different type of test now than they were then?

Just now, Patrick_Duffy said:

Well at the beginning of TC or right before the season started (believe my timeline is correct here) I remember a few of the Bills players had quite a few false positives if I remember correctly. Are they using a different type of test now than they were then?

I think that was one specific lab that screwed the pooch.