Bills Entire Marketing Dept Steps Down

Mango

13 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

It's 3 people.  Many times, people will take past employees with them when they leave.  Could easily be the case here.

Three people = "entire marketing department".

Can we make the headline a little more dramatic? How will we ever find someone to tweet a clip of Diggs catching a ball one-handed while on one knee?

Marketing is probably one notch above sports journalism on the list of 'jobs anyone can do in their sleep.' 

Wake me up when Tre White is tweeting that he thinks our coach is a dumbass. Then I'll be concerned.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The Pegulas just aren’t very good at the business side of sports. They never have been.

I have posted this before, but Terry isn't good with the business side of geology either. He had the wherewithal to partner with somebody to manage that for him. 

But to your point, they just aren't good with the people management portion of managing the business.  I get the sense that they have had a bit too much money for a bit too long, and have lost touch. "Maintain family lifestyle" not only got said, but made it into a ***** slide deck. They own the team, they can do what they like with it, I get it. Doesn't change the fact that they are doing a poor job with most of it.

Based on 10 years of futility with the Sabres, and 2.5 years of managing the Bills, (Marrone leaving, over ruling your GM for HC hire, Bringing in Rex, Extending that GM, then firing that GM shortly after) I think McBeane are the exception not the rule to PSE, and they should pay them whatever they want until they die to run the franchise, because it could get much worse. They currently have about 12 years of bad credit and 2 years of good credit between 2 of their major sports franchises. 

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The Pegulas just aren’t very good at the business side of sports. They never have been.

They really aren't.  We just have to hold our collective breaths that they leave Beane and McD alone.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

we need Chris Brown to get us the juicy scoop on their reasons for stepping down.

He just can't detail which door they exited or where their offices are located.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

45 minutes ago, MJS said:

I expect him to stop trying to dig up dirt on the Bills 24/7 365. That's literally all he cares about. He's obsessed with painting the organization as this evil empire.

He is the love child of Jerry Sullivan and UpChuck Dickerson.  He used to be odd and crusty but now is just bitter.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ScottLaw said:

The Pegulas are morons who seem to have gotten lucky with McDermott/Beane.

This thread is ecstasy for our resident grumps. Any bad news is good news.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

COVID has brought many challenges to the standard employee. Kids at home, kitchen table offices, digital learning support for children, minimal in person meetings with colleagues, etc. etc.

Some employers understand this, some, not so much. This may not be a Pegula problem, but a common theme across all NFL teams, which have always been a "no excuses" and "championship or bust" environment. I'm not shocked a NFL team shows little to no empathy to our new normal.

41 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I always got a laugh when people referred to Russ Brandon as a "marketing genius". All it takes to market the Bills in Buffalo is posting the schedule. Folks show up.

No offense, but I always get a laugh from this kind of post.      There's a lot of work involved in group sales, suite sales, co-marketing tie-ins with other companies ("the official ______ of the Buffalo Bills!"), TV and radio advertising deals with local companies, apparel deals and on and on.      Marketing a team is a LOT more than putting fannies in the stands...

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

No offense, but I always get a laugh from this kind of post.      There's a lot of work involved in group sales, suite sales, co-marketing tie-ins with other companies ("the official ______ of the Buffalo Bills!"), TV and radio advertising deals with local companies, apparel deals and on and on.      Marketing a team is a LOT more than putting fannies in the stands...

You know it's a joke right?

6 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

COVID has brought many challenges to the standard employee. Kids at home, kitchen table offices, digital learning support for children, minimal in person meetings with colleagues, etc. etc.

Some employers understand this, some, not so much. This may not be a Pegula problem, but a common theme across all NFL teams, which have always been a "no excuses" and "championship or bust" environment. I'm not shocked a NFL team shows little to no empathy to our new normal.

What's the speculation here? They left because the Pegulas weren't understanding?

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Yes!  Apparently there's a post on Linkedin for the position according to  the article.

And Shaena Kershner, Vice President of Marketing at Buffalo Bills, has not updated her LinkedIn page so seems she did not plan this or she already has a job lined up which is wise.

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Just because you’re paranoid it doesn’t mean they’re not out to get you. 

But it IS a a good reason for everyone to be out to get you.

1 minute ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Some mix of burnout and unwavering expectations during a very unprecedented time in our history.

People are assuming that. Where's the evidence?

58 minutes ago, Mango said:

I am guessing it is the executive marketing team. I would assume there are some low level graphic designers, video editors, etc. Or maybe not, they could hire it to an outside firm to handle a lot of that via contract work, rather than employ a team themselves. 

I will say, I spoke to some people at PSE about a position a few years ago over some beers, introduced by a few mutual friends, and it does not sound like a great place to be professionally. Pay was very low and there was no room for growth. I was told I would have to probably leave to get a promotion, pay raise, etc. Sort of hear breaking. I thought it would have been so cool to work for the Bills, Sabres, Bandits, Amerks. Apparently they sell that as the "dream" and how they get around wages and promotions. Also some friends work with PSE on some joint initiatives, projects, etc. and they regularly say it is very tough there. I don't know that to be the entire truth of the org. But what keeps getting reported, plus the conversations with people I know who have first hand experience, it all seems to jive. 

I worked there pre-pegula.  Out of college, entry level.  It is awful.  Low salary, long hours, treated poorly.  They knew that once I was fed up and left, there would instantly be 400 applicants.  It felt like all promotion opportunities were already set.  If I stayed I could have probably carved a career in sports.... but the work was exhausting, my friends all made more $,  and the mental pressure my managers would put on me caused permanent damage.  I had yearly performance reviews with russ brandon, lol.  There were some cool things... like receiving a chocolate football from ralph and mary, getting a picture frame and christmas card from the Gregg William's family, 45 yard line season tickets I couldnt use, and sipping gin at a christmas party with drew bledsoe.

With that said, typically the VPs and higher execs seemed to have it much better.  At that time, the "marketing department" was way way more than 3 people. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Why are you trying so hard?

Trying what? To ask for evidence? Doesn't the constant speculation and sweeping judgements get old?

Not even just with football. It's the entire Twitter culture we are in these days.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, MJS said:

Trying what? To ask for evidence? Doesn't the constant speculation and sweeping judgements get old?

Not even just with football. It's the entire Twitter culture we are in these days.

It's an online forum - the perfect place for speculation!

I find it reasonable to speculate that NFL team employees, even in the best of times,  are in an extremely stressful & demanding environment, and I doubt they are getting much slack during COVID (Sales & Marketing have always had a "Produce, No Matter What" culture). 

Edited by TheElectricCompany
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Seasons1992 said:

They have a record label?!?!?!

I did laugh at this comment - and I admit I laughed when I found out too.  Can't even begin to imagine what kinda tunes they record.....

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I always got a laugh when people referred to Russ Brandon as a "marketing genius". All it takes to market the Bills in Buffalo is posting the schedule. Folks show up.

This...times 1000

11 minutes ago, CardinalScotts said:

that fact he put no number on it leads me to believe 3 exit- that doesn't sound like anything. The ENTIRE sounds terrible

Yep. Makes it sound like 50 people.

3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Yeah, it’s not a great look.  Let’s face it, the Bills pretty much sell themselves in WNY.  At its heart Buffalo is truly a hockey town, but the Sabres have been so bad for so long that they have to be almost impossible to sell here.  I can’t imagine my job being dependent on doing that.  And that situation is definitely not the fault of anyone in marketing. 

That's really debatable.  

there has been wild support for football teams here since the buffalo all-amwrocans in the 1920s. Way before there was a hockey team

the sabres became massively popular right after the lockout when we became really good. I don't think they were more popular than the bills in the 70s 80s or 90s

Almost everybody in Buffalo loves the bills. There's been tons of people in the city for 40 years who don't follow hockey

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

That's really debatable.  

there has been wild support for football teams here since the buffalo all-amwrocans in the 1920s. Way before there was a hockey team

the sabres became massively popular right after the lockout when we became really good. I don't think they were more popular than the bills in the 70s 80s or 90s

Almost everybody in Buffalo loves the bills. There's been tons of people in the city for 40 years who don't follow hockey

Don’t confuse support for an NFL team with support for football.  I grew up in the Cleveland area it’s very different there.  It is not uncommon for people in Northeast (and Central) Ohio to go watch good high school matchups on Friday night, then spend Saturday watching college football (especially Ohio State) and then Sunday watching the NFL.  That’s high school football games where you don’t know anyone playing and it’s not your alma mater.  People watch the careers of players in high school through college to the pros.  The field for my HS team has a capacity of 12,500 and it sells out for good matchups.  I’ve never seen Buffalo support football like that at anything other than the pro level.

But I know people who go watch the NHL combine.  I see hockey nets in driveways and winter rinks in backyards.  I can honestly say I had never seen either until I moved here from Ohio.  I thought the local HS football field was for the Jr High when I moved here.  A nice new one has since been built, but the capacity is so small.  The Northtown rinks are something else though.

The NFL is by far the most dominant sport in the USA and the Bills are more popular than the Sabres, but the grass roots support for hockey here is way above that of football. 

4 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Don’t confuse support for an NFL team with support for football.  I grew up in the Cleveland area it’s very different there.  It is not uncommon for people in Northeast (and Central) Ohio to go watch good high school matchups on Friday night, then spend Saturday watching college football (especially Ohio State) and then Sunday watching the NFL.  That’s high school football games where you don’t know anyone playing and it’s not your alma mater.  People watch the careers of players in high school through college to the pros.  The field for my HS team has a capacity of 12,500 and it sells out for good matchups.  I’ve never seen Buffalo support football like that at anything other than the pro level.

But I know people who go watch the NHL combine.  I see hockey nets in driveways and winter rinks in backyards.  I can honestly say I had never seen either until I moved here from Ohio.  I thought the local HS football field was for the Jr High when I moved here.  A nice new one has since been built, but the capacity is so small.  The Northtown rinks are something else though.

The NFL is by far the most dominant sport in the USA and the Bills are more popular than the Sabres, but the grass roots support for hockey here is way above that of football. 

There just isn't good local football here for the most part. There's a massive difference between not being a good high school football area, and actually having passion for the game

Buffalo is football crazy and has been for 80 years. We just don't play high-level football in Western New York for the most part

But we play good hockey

That doesn't mean we're more of a hockey city than a football city. It just means we breed better hockey athletes

there's no prerequisites that says you need to play the sport at a high level to be passionate fans. Buffalo does play high-level hockey

That doesn't mean that it has more support than the bills or is more popular

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

There just isn't good local football here for the most part. There's a massive difference between not being a good high school football area, and actually having passion for the game

Buffalo is football crazy and has been for 80 years. We just don't play high-level football in Western New York for the most part

But we play good hockey

That doesn't mean we're more of a hockey city than a football city. It just means we breed better hockey athletes

there's no prerequisites that says you need to play the sport at a high level to be passionate fans. Buffalo does play high-level hockey

That doesn't mean that it has more support than the bills or is more popular

There would be better football at the lower levels if it was a bigger part of the culture here.  This isn’t a rip on WNY.  Their hockey development of youngsters is fantastic.  A talented young hockey player in NE Ohio should just move to a more hockey-centric place.  There is no culture for it there.  But there sure is here.  There just isn’t a big football culture here - and it shows in the development programs.  It doesn’t mean that people here don’t love their Bills with all their heart.  I know they do.