Top 10 QBs for NFL 100

Unitas, Baugh, and Graham take up 3 spots representing the early years.

Staubach and Marino make the top 10 over Young and Brees. 

I have no issue with Marino but you could make an argument for Brees who has a SB win and better career stats as a pure passer.

I would put Steve Young in over Staubach and Baugh. Young is usually my 6th best QB of all time ( Brady, Montana, Manning, Elway, Favre).

1 hour ago, Dr.Sack said:

NFL 100 is a joke. No Kelly? That’s insane. 

Kelly is probably in the 11-15 range. Now, if he would have won a Superbowl or two, probably top 10. But he didn't...

Kelly is a top 10 all-time QB. I’d even rank him higher than Marino & Elway. 

Love Jim but can’t agree here.  When you only have 10 some greats get left off.  When they called the last name I thought it would be Young but Marino had some of the greatest years ever by a QB.

And the older guys?  Sammy Baugh changed the position.  Otto Graham won so many championships. Unitas doesn’t need to be argued at all.

That's the homer in you speaking.

Montana, , Elway, Manning, Favre, Young, Marino

Then you throw in the old timers out of respect like Unitas, Graham, Staubach, Baugh

Then current players like Brady, Brees, Rodgers.....You're dang near 15-20 range before Jim enters the conversation.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I have no issue with Marino but you could make an argument for Brees who has a SB win and better career stats as a pure passer.

I would put Steve Young in over Staubach and Baugh. Young is usually my 6th best QB of all time ( Brady, Montana, Manning, Elway, Favre).

Sometimes they put in players before your time, that’s okay

2 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Need those votes from people who are aren’t Bills fans, he wasn’t an elite among elites

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Brees not being on there is a travesty!! Below is a glimpse at his resume (which isn’t nearly finished). 

when you have to quote stats it defeats your purpose 

do I have to cobble together a list of Marino or Elway or Brady stats to try to make a case....

43 minutes ago, row_33 said:

do I have to cobble together a list of Marino or Elway or Brady stats to try to make a case....

I’d love to hear the argument for Marino over Brees. Brees basically broke every record that he had (and will end up being a wide margin). Marino went to a Super Bowl. Brees won a Super Bowl MVP. Without the worst “no-call” in NFL history (literally) Brees would have played for (and won IMO) his second Super Bowl. He may very well go again this year. If your argument is “stats don’t matter” please feel free to make the case for Marino.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

You do with Marino, stats are the only thing he’s got going for him.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

My take: 

Top 3 are no-brainers.

4 & 5, no problem, I will defer to the historians.

6-10 are just a big jumble, they belong I guess but I can easily replace any of them with Brees.

PS. Steve Young is not in the conversation, he is far far below looking up at Joe.

1 hour ago, Rico said:

I think if you're going to compare stats from two different areas you need to show how much above average, for their era, that the QB was. So instead of comparing Brees to Marino, compare them to the averages of their era and see which one was more elite in their time.

Given the rules changes that favor the passing game a direct comparison isn't exactly the best way of doing it.

1 hour ago, Rico said:

My take: 

Top 3 are no-brainers.

4 & 5, no problem, I will defer to the historians.

6-10 are just a big jumble, they belong I guess but I can easily replace any of them with Brees.

PS. Steve Young is not in the conversation, he is far far below looking up at Joe.

I agree on Young as well. I’m really surprised so many people on the internet were making a case for him.

10 minutes ago, MDH said:

I think if you're going to compare stats from two different areas you need to show how much above average, for their era, that the QB was. So instead of comparing Brees to Marino, compare them to the averages of their era and see which one was more elite in their time.

Given the rules changes that favor the passing game a direct comparison isn't exactly the best way of doing it.

Even still, Brees has more 5,000 yard passing seasons than every other QB in history combined. Michael Thomas is the 1st pro bowl WR that he has had in New Orleans (obviously he had Jimmy Graham for a period). Brees’ dominance stacks up with anyone. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, MJS said:

Brees and Young should be in there. Gotta kick out Marino for not winning the big game. Tough to know who else to kick out though to let those two in.

Um nope. Marino 100% deserves to be in the top 10.

Using championships to determine a players greatness in the ultimate team sport is ridiculous.

Marino should be top 5. Guy would murder the league if he played today.

• Like (+1) 1

Nobody wants to admit or realize that 3 of the top 5 QBs in nfl history all played now or very recently. It’s seen as a slight somehow on the history of the game. The 2 best QBs of all time were Brady and Manning... But Brees is right there. Roger Staubach has no business anywhere near this list. He might not even be in the 10 next guys that should have been off the list. You can’t leave Brees off this thing but obviously there was a conscious effort to include more of the yesteryear players. The game is certainly different nowadays but that’s not the players fault. Brees needs to be on there period. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rico said:

hisssssssssssss

20 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Oh man

well????

i didn’t need stats to convince me George Brett or Mike Schmidt deserved the HOF

Kelly is not even on the radar for this list. To me, he resides somewhere in the vicinity of Kurt Warner and Dan Fouts in the 20 range. I know he's the Field General and called his own plays, etc., but he had a short-ish NFL career with no SB championships and overall numbers that pale compared to some of his peers. He played alongside Montana, Young, Elway, and Marino - All of whom had better careers by most tangible measures.

Biggest QB snub to me is Brees, but the guys who made it are household names whereas somehow he is not. Otherwise it's fine as-is.

Edited by skibum
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, row_33 said:

hisssssssssssss

well????

i didn’t need stats to convince me George Brett or Mike Schmidt deserved the HOF

Well nothing.  

of course no one is trying to make a case for Marino and Elway to be in the top 100......they ARE IN THE TOP 100!!!

Of course people trying to make a case for another player are including stats.  That’s what you do when you try and make a case.  

you do understand that....right?

• Like (+1) 1

Brees is going to the HOF, with a personality he would have gained more national appeal

at least Canton hadn’t turned into the Participation Ribbon that Cooperstown is becoming with drinking buddy committees 

Springfield has always been a Participation Ribbon joke with everyone getting in

1 hour ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Um nope. Marino 100% deserves to be in the top 10.

Using championships to determine a players greatness in the ultimate team sport is ridiculous.

Marino should be top 5. Guy would murder the league if he played today.

Sorry. I completely disagree.

13 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

young is definitely underrated. i cant disagree with you

1 hour ago, skibum said:

Kelly is not even on the radar for this list. To me, he resides somewhere in the vicinity of Kurt Warner and Dan Fouts in the 20 range. I know he's the Field General and called his own plays, etc., but he had a short-ish NFL career with no SB championships and overall numbers that pale compared to some of his peers. He played alongside Montana, Young, Elway, and Marino - All of whom had better careers by most tangible measures.

Biggest QB snub to me is Brees, but the guys who made it are household names whereas somehow he is not. Otherwise it's fine as-is.

Id give Fouts the edge on Kelly.he was a better passer and he never played on a team with a defense

10 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

you didnt see him play then. kelly was a great QB but he wasnt as good as Elway or marino. No way.

• Like (+1) 1

I think they did a pretty good job given the limited number of spots. Lots of recency bias on here, all the best players in the last 20 years. It' s a 100 year anniversary gotta have all the eras represented. The fact that some think Unitas needs an argument is laughable, nobody I've seen threw the ball any better than Marino. Aaron Rodgers not even on it yet, and switch Brady and Brees teams and its Brees.

24 minutes ago, MJS said:

Sorry. I completely disagree.

Marino may have been the best passer in the history of the league.He threw the best ..Could throw it 80 yds with pinpoint accuracy and throw the subtle shorter stuff with perfection.

Guy played on mediocre teams and had a lot of midget receivers...kinda like elway.Quicker release than even Brees.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Tcali said:

Marino may have been the best passer in the history of the league.He threw the best ..Could throw it 80 yds with pinpoint accuracy and throw the subtle shorter stuff with perfection.

Guy played on mediocre teams and had a lot of midget receivers...kinda like elway.Quicker release than even Brees.

he was a top all time great

Bills were better off with Kelly though 

1 hour ago, skibum said:

I love Brees  and its hard to disagree with you. But really there is very nearly a tie IMO at about 7-13. Thats why guys like Young and Brees can get left off.Its almost a coin flip at some point.

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

he was a top all time great

Bills were better off with Kelly though 

possibly---interesting thought and discussion to have.

45 minutes ago, Tcali said:

I love Brees  and its hard to disagree with you. But really there is very nearly a tie IMO at about 7-13. Thats why guys like Young and Brees can get left off.Its almost a coin flip at some point.

yup

Marino was brutal on his teammates, screaming at them for incomplete passes, got worse as he got older.  (Bert Jones was the all time chewer out of his skill players)

Bills weren’t about perfectionism or highly strung prized players

Edited by row_33

1 hour ago, Tcali said:

He threw a ton of INT's and in my opinion is hugely overrated.

58 minutes ago, Tcali said:

If starting a franchise in the teams era, I’d certainly not be upset getting any of the names in that range... but for the coin flip, I think owning the record books and having a ring while still not being should weigh heavy in the tie break

That said, it seems obvious they didn’t want to weight any era tooo heavily and I’d struggle taking Brady or manning off. So I guess the discussion is favre vs Brees?