Top 10 QBs for NFL 100

Seems to me that people re getting crosse4d up about what the role of the QB is supposed to be. I'd rather have Kelly than Marino as my QB, any day of the week, and twice on Sundays. Kelly was far more of what a QB was supposed to be, than many here are giving him credit for.

Think back about what the original ideas about the game were - the QB was the General on the field. Kelly was about the first guy of the 'modern' era, who actually was that General on the field.

Imho, Marino shouldn't be even close to the top 10 QBs of all time, because he pretty much only passed the football (admittedly as well as anyone else ever had), but was incapable of reading the game like many other QBs could.

Tbh, there might be a good number of other QBs from the past, who deserve a hard look, for displaying more of the traditional 'atributes' than some of the more recent guys.

I'm not convinced Kelly should be in the top 10, but I'm equally convinced that Marino should be below him, however it shakes out.

17 minutes ago, Buddo said:

Seems to me that people re getting crosse4d up about what the role of the QB is supposed to be. I'd rather have Kelly than Marino as my QB, any day of the week, and twice on Sundays. Kelly was far more of what a QB was supposed to be, than many here are giving him credit for.

Think back about what the original ideas about the game were - the QB was the General on the field. Kelly was about the first guy of the 'modern' era, who actually was that General on the field.

Imho, Marino shouldn't be even close to the top 10 QBs of all time, because he pretty much only passed the football (admittedly as well as anyone else ever had), but was incapable of reading the game like many other QBs could.

Tbh, there might be a good number of other QBs from the past, who deserve a hard look, for displaying more of the traditional 'atributes' than some of the more recent guys.

I'm not convinced Kelly should be in the top 10, but I'm equally convinced that Marino should be below him, however it shakes out.

Marino was significantly better than Kelly was. That’s just the way it is.

Kelly was great for Buffalo but cmon dude.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rico said:

Marino had a classic deer-blinded-by-headlights look in the playoffs, but he did overcome that to put up some nice stats in garbage time.

he’s not the sharpest, shows us on panels

Edited by row_33

19 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

That's the homer in you speaking.

Montana, , Elway, Manning, Favre, Young, Marino

Then you throw in the old timers out of respect like Unitas, Graham, Staubach, Baugh

Then current players like Brady, Brees, Rodgers.....You're dang near 15-20 range before Jim enters the conversation.

Agree Kelly is in the 15 to 20 range. If they win one SB and only make it their twice, he is a 12-15 ranked QB.

15 hours ago, NoSaint said:

If starting a franchise in the teams era, I’d certainly not be upset getting any of the names in that range... but for the coin flip, I think owning the record books and having a ring while still not being should weigh heavy in the tie break

That said, it seems obvious they didn’t want to weight any era tooo heavily and I’d struggle taking Brady or manning off. So I guess the discussion is favre vs Brees? 

I'd have Brees over Favre too. Probably in a minority there and I am a little biased he is my favourite non-Bill in the NFL.... but for me Brady, Manning and Brees are no brainers.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/28/2019 at 8:05 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

I agree on Young as well. I’m really surprised so many people on the internet were making a case for him.

Even still, Brees has more 5,000 yard passing seasons than every other QB in history combined. Michael Thomas is the 1st pro bowl WR that he has had in New Orleans (obviously he had Jimmy Graham for a period). Brees’ dominance stacks up with anyone. 

Brees is great, but so was Marino.  And these modern day QBs are playing in a weighted, passing league.  Marino would have no less yards if he were playing today with the tilted rules being as they are against defensive players.

23 hours ago, MJS said:

He threw a ton of INT's and in my opinion is hugely overrated.

then you never watched him.....not live

23 hours ago, row_33 said:

yup

Marino was brutal on his teammates, screaming at them for incomplete passes, got worse as he got older.  (Bert Jones was the all time chewer out of his skill players)

Bills weren’t about perfectionism or highly strung prized players

oh dont forget joe ferguson

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Troll Toll said:

Anyone think of Josh Allen when they showed and talked with Roger and Brett? The scrambling... downfield passing... confidence from teammates and leadership. Not saying he is as good as them now, but maybe one day he can get there.

no

4 hours ago, purple haze said:

Brees is great, but so was Marino.  And these modern day QBs are playing in a weighted, passing league.  Marino would have no less yards if he were playing today with the tilted rules being as they are against defensive players.

The point with Brees over Marino is that it’s either stats or Super Bowls. Brees has both on Marino. He racked up stats like Marino did but also has a Super Bowl MVP and should have been in the bowl again last year. He may go again this year. He is going to have every box checked in a comparison.

On 12/29/2019 at 1:16 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

The point with Brees over Marino is that it’s either stats or Super Bowls. Brees has both on Marino. He racked up stats like Marino did but also has a Super Bowl MVP and should have been in the bowl again last year. He may go again this year. He is going to have every box checked in a comparison.

Get where you're coming from.  Stats, like I said, based on this era,  is not a factor for me.  Eli Manning has two rings.  Should he be in the top 10?  Brees has a better overall team.  But if you take him over Marino more power to you.  If there were a hypothetical draft of these two players, talent for talent, I'd bet 9 out of 10 teams take Marino; and I say that as a football fan who likes Drew Brees.

Edited by purple haze

1 hour ago, purple haze said:

Get where you're coming from.  Stats, like I said, based on this era,  is not a factor for me.  Eli Manning has two rings.  Should he be in the top 10?  Brees has a better overall team.  But if you take him over Marino more power to you.  If there were a hypothetical draft of these two players, talent for talent, I'd bet 9 out of 10 teams take Marino; and I say that as a football fan who likes Drew Brees.

I guess my point is that you base it on one thing or another. Montana is largely on the list from his winning. Marino is largely on their from his record passing numbers. Brees holds pretty much every relevant passing record and will do so by a WIDE margin when he’s done. That’s where the era factors in. He’s going to finish miles ahead of everyone but Brady and I would guess that margin is pretty wide when things are done. We can say he played in this “passing era” but his numbers will dwarf Peyton, Rodgers and others that were considered great at the same time.

You can’t ding him for not winning like you can Marino. He has a Super Bowl MVP and the worst call in history may have prevented his 2nd. He may still get another one or 2. 

Brees belongs above Marino, Favre and Elway in terms of modern players. Brady, Manning and Montana I have no issue with. The older guys I didn’t see so it’s tough for me to comment. It seems like a lot of older fans take major issue with Staubach. 

20 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I guess my point is that you base it on one thing or another. Montana is largely on the list from his winning. Marino is largely on their from his record passing numbers. Brees holds pretty much every relevant passing record and will do so by a WIDE margin when he’s done. That’s where the era factors in. He’s going to finish miles ahead of everyone but Brady and I would guess that margin is pretty wide when things are done. We can say he played in this “passing era” but his numbers will dwarf Peyton, Rodgers and others that were considered great at the same time.

You can’t ding him for not winning like you can Marino. He has a Super Bowl MVP and the worst call in history may have prevented his 2nd. He may still get another one or 2. 

Brees belongs above Marino, Favre and Elway in terms of modern players. Brady, Manning and Montana I have no issue with. The older guys I didn’t see so it’s tough for me to comment. It seems like a lot of older fans take major issue with Staubach. 

not a ***** hope Brees is getting that much love

he just doesn’t have it