Yesterday proved another thing we need a hammer back

I think this offense can really roll next year with:

• AJ Green or comparable WR that can occupy the opponent's #1 CB, catch contested balls, and get a few run after catch long TDs.
  • Derrick Henry or comparable RB to use against the tougher good tackling defenses.  Cincinnati's Mixon had 149 yards rushing against NE last week in a game that was not close in the 2nd half.  Sometimes the FA market for the bigger backs is affordable, allowing us to use or draft picks for depth.
  • Practice screens and draws and 10 other plays that will consistently beat cover 0.
  • An offseason on the Jugs machine for Knox.

We have all the other pieces, more or less.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Nice to have a complimentary backer when Gore retires post season. I do not think Yeldon is that guy.

Taking nothing away from Singletary.

And yes Bills need a number of players yet, especially at Offense

why should they trust them ? The Offense that is.
work in process.

I think they should trust them because at some point you need to.  We're getting to and winning the super bowl without the offense coming together.  IMO, they had a great opportunity yesterday with virtually nothing to lose.  Instead they were only thinking of that particular game and not where the offense needs to be.  

We'll fizzle out anyway, why not let them go?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Rock'em Sock'em said:

• AJ Green or comparable WR that can occupy the opponent's #1 CB, catch contested balls, and get a few run after catch long TDs.
  • Derrick Henry or comparable RB to use against the tougher good tackling defenses.  Cincinnati's Mixon had 149 yards rushing against NE last week in a game that was not close in the 2nd half.  Sometimes the FA market for the bigger backs is affordable, allowing us to use or draft picks for depth.
  • Practice screens and draws and 10 other plays that will consistently beat cover 0.

Yes to Derrick Henry.  Pairing Allen with a dynamic back like Henry is exactly what the doctor ordered. Singletary is decent but scares nobody.  Henry is a better signing than a big name WR.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

He can run the reps of a one.
 I too think we need speed to get around the tackles. 

But not using the pass to the flats or screens who knows?
so many times we have seen the HB coming open and Josh just keeps his eyes downfield regardless.

Tyrod used to do that too.

hmmm.
so i am not sure what best fits.

Morse is not a Bull , he is finesse. so good hands and some speed might best fit in this Offense.

no matter what, Bills had best fix the RT situation asap

Morse is very athletic and is one of the few centers who can effectively pull.  We should be a better sweep team.  I think Spain’s lack of mobility has a little part in that. 

singletary is a 1 in my view (provided he improves ball security).  I wouldn’t mind a 2 with a little juice.  Of course, if we got melvin Gordon or Derrick Henry at the right price, I’d be cool with that, too. 

35 minutes ago, Rock'em Sock'em said:

AJ Green is the one FA I would consider paying huge money.  The locker room dynamic is extremely important here and I’d worry about giving a newcomer one of the top paychecks.  If they go that route, the signee has to have a sterling resume.  Green can pull it off. 

Couldn't agree more & I've been saying it all year.  A young hammer with long speed.  Our run game looks a lot better with that type of dude who can handle 8-10 touches a game.

And for the record, I'm all for drafting that guy in the middle rounds of this years draft like we did Singletary last year.  Just say no to buying a high priced FA RB like Henry or Gordon......a waste of $$$, IMO.

Edited by Estro

1 hour ago, Azucho98 said:

He doesn't know how to run a screen pass, or use a TE.  The guy sucks as an OC.

come on.  The touchdown to kroft in Pittsburgh was a gorgeous play design.  Knox has played pretty well and has pro bowl potential if he can improve his hands. 

and the screen game?  We have big guards.  Maybe some middle screens would be in order.  But fact is we don’t block screens well (see Spain’s stupid holding penalty against Baltimore) so there’s not a ton of sense in running them. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

What is with Bills fans and runningbacks? Singletary has been an absolute beast regardless of size and is more than physical, even the announcers mentioned it many times. IMO we need a tall WR who can catch everything like a Michael Thomas type who will also be great in the redzone. Also we will need to work on the OL and need at least 2 pass rushers.

He’s one back you’re relying on a 5’8 barely 200 lbs back to be your whole running game that’s insanity 

I agree OP. We are ranked in the top 10 in rushing offense largely because of Allen's scrambling. Our OL is average at best and I'd love to see us sign or draft an elite OT at the very least this offseason. We need a big, physical #1 WR as well. On D, an elite edge rusher, outside and slot corner upgrades and Lorenzo's replacement. We know Josh needs to play a lot better, but the same is true of Edmunds as well.

8 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I think Frank Gore is pretty much running on fumes...Motor is great but against teams with really physical front 7s we need that 225lbs bell cow to hammer on these teams 

Don't see this at all. Not that that would be a bad thing, but teams with hammer backs have played the Pats this year and haven't done especially well. Any back will  have problems when the blocking doesn't open holes.

9 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

Morse is very athletic and is one of the few centers who can effectively pull.  We should be a better sweep team.  I think Spain’s lack of mobility has a little part in that. 

singletary is a 1 in my view (provided he improves ball security).  I wouldn’t mind a 2 with a little juice.  Of course, if we got melvin Gordon or Derrick Henry at the right price, I’d be cool with that, too. 

AJ Green is the one FA I would consider paying huge money.  The locker room dynamic is extremely important here and I’d worry about giving a newcomer one of the top paychecks.  If they go that route, the signee has to have a sterling resume.  Green can pull it off. 

Green is the prize. Draft Taylor, you'd have him on 5 year rookie contract.

13 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Derrick Henry is a FA I think.

Derrick is a tremendous player and would become a fan favorite in about 15 seconds. He is also a great kid. When he was at the draft combines he took time out to visit terminally ill children in a hospital.

Derrick is probably the most punishing player in football today. I watched every down of his college career and I know all about this kid. He doesn't have THE quickest start but the Bills have a strong OL. After he gets a few steps I have seen players not try all that hard to tackle him. His stiff arm is reminiscent to that of Earl Campbell or even Jim Brown.

He is a perfect fit for this team. With Derrick and one of these great wide receivers coming out in the 2020 draft, the Bills would be a Super Bowl contender, if not favorite.

Just my long overdue opinion.

10 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

come on.  The touchdown to kroft in Pittsburgh was a gorgeous play design.  Knox has played pretty well and has pro bowl potential if he can improve his hands. 

and the screen game?  We have big guards.  Maybe some middle screens would be in order.  But fact is we don’t block screens well (see Spain’s stupid holding penalty against Baltimore) so there’s not a ton of sense in running them. 

The three consecutive plays for a loss in Pittsburgh in the red zone were brilliant too.  How many catches do TE's have on this team?  Kroft is here for ??????  His TD in Pittsburgh was his 5th catch of the season! (7 games 5 receptions)  How many screen passes do we run to the TE or RB?  There is a reason why Daboll offenses were never ranked better than 20th the NFL and other times 30th or worse.  He's a bad coordinator.  

39 minutes ago, the skycap said:

Remember, he's 6'4"

6'4 and the wheels are falling off

Edited by Azucho98

2 hours ago, Azucho98 said:

The three consecutive plays for a loss in Pittsburgh in the red zone were brilliant too.  How many catches do TE's have on this team?  Kroft is here for ??????  His TD in Pittsburgh was his 5th catch of the season! (7 games 5 receptions)  How many screen passes do we run to the TE or RB?  There is a reason why Daboll offenses were never ranked better than 20th the NFL and other times 30th or worse.  He's a bad coordinator.  

6'4 and the wheels are falling off

Kroft got hurt and Knox took his spot.  The series you’re referring to in Pittsburgh was all about the HB pass by Gore.  The draw on third down was designed to avoid a sack and preserve the FG.  

setup plays are part of NFL offenses.  Look at Pittsburgh’s TD against us.  Connor run followed by same look/play fake/throw back to Connor.  It’s a way of life against good defenses, and the fact that it didn’t work on one series against Pittsburgh doesn’t mean Daboll is a bad coordinator.

17 hours ago, the skycap said:

I'm gonna keep typing his name, Jonathan Taylor.

No thanks.  I’m sure he’s good, but unless he can be had in round 3 or later, hard pass.  There will literally be dozens of good RBs available in this year’s draft.  And Wisconsin RBs perennially underperform in the NFL.

17 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Yeah Gore looked terrible on his carries yesterday. Not sure why they gave him the ball at all 

HELLO !! EXACTLY !! Gore makes his money up the guy but when your on the bench's kind of hard to make plays !!

Got 2+  guys on the bench they need to put on the field more !! 

4 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

Kroft got hurt and Knox took his spot.  The series you’re referring to in Pittsburgh was all about the HB pass by Gore.  The draw on third down was designed to avoid a sack and preserve the FG.  

setup plays are part of NFL offenses.  Look at Pittsburgh’s TD against us.  Connor run followed by same look/play fake/throw back to Connor.  It’s a way of life against good defenses, and the fact that it didn’t work on one series against Pittsburgh doesn’t mean Daboll is a bad coordinator.

Look at Daboll's career ranks as O coordinator - he is bottom feeder.

Who were his QBs in those stops?  

that aside, your points are that daboll doesn’t call enough screens, and that Kroft is underused.  Maybe those points favor daboll - he plays to strengths (Knox over kroft) and doesn’t call plays we don’t run well (screens). 

29 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Agree to disagree- not close imo. Shady 40 , 4.45, Devin 4.66. 

Its not all about the straight line speed.....they are very similar in running styles in the jump cut.....elusive.....making ppl miss

That less then a 10th of a second doesnt mean much because DS gets to his TOP speed very quickly.

11 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Its not all about the straight line speed.....they are very similar in running styles in the jump cut.....elusive.....making ppl miss

That less then a 10th of a second doesnt mean much because DS gets to his TOP speed very quickly.

Time will tell for sure. 

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Because what the ***** are you gaining by running the ball into a wall time after time? What is your young, 1st round QB learning from that? And if you trust your defense so much then what exactly are you afraid of?  

The O line needs tweaks and another season to get tight for sure.
This was the 1st year of revamp and it showed. Allen has not found a comfortable groove whatsoever. He looked scared playing Ravens and again with steelers, bot ferocious defenses with very good D coordinators.

Not sure using a blunt force Offense will get Defenses out of the box and press coverage.

Need some wheels with stickum hands to get around the outside or just catch and run. But HB is not the key position that turns the corner. The Offense needs to find it's way.
 Bills defense can only do so much.

some have predicted next year they should be settling in.
we shall see

I remain

Hopeful

Tip o'   'the hat to you Hapless

10 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Derrick is a tremendous player and would become a fan favorite in about 15 seconds. He is also a great kid. When he was at the draft combines he took time out to visit terminally ill children in a hospital.

Derrick is probably the most punishing player in football today. I watched every down of his college career and I know all about this kid. He doesn't have THE quickest start but the Bills have a strong OL. After he gets a few steps I have seen players not try all that hard to tackle him. His stiff arm is reminiscent to that of Earl Campbell or even Jim Brown.

He is a perfect fit for this team. With Derrick and one of these great wide receivers coming out in the 2020 draft, the Bills would be a Super Bowl contender, if not favorite.

Just my long overdue opinion.

Nice to hear your opinion. Earl Campbell you say?

wow, thats strong.! and fairly awesome recommend from you 

they won't let him go though.
I would like to see the next one in the draft. One they think that compliments Singletary , not competes with Dev

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Azucho98 said:

Look at Daboll's career ranks as O coordinator - he is bottom feeder.

Look at McD. Should he be a Head Coach? He sure struggled 1st year and some of second. and we hated Frazier for awhile. Even McD took over play calling end of 1st year.
Building cohesive foundation can be painful at times

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'm convinced we're drafting Taylor in the late 1st. And the best tall wr available in the 2nd. 

I am not down with drafting RBs early.
But the focus offseason need to remain on the Offense

6 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Jay Ajayi was released today. Would be an upgrade at backup RB and would be an excellent addition late in the season.

That's certainly as good as you can hope for in week 17.

Presumably the Bills won't do it, but it is concerning they didn't feel Gore was worthy of a single carry v NE so we're essentially going into the playoffs with one back.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

The O line needs tweaks and another season to get tight for sure.
This was the 1st year of revamp and it showed. Allen has not found a comfortable groove whatsoever. He looked scared playing Ravens and again with steelers, bot ferocious defenses with very good D coordinators.

Not sure using a blunt force Offense will get Defenses out of the box and press coverage.

Need some wheels with stickum hands to get around the outside or just catch and run. But HB is not the key position that turns the corner. The Offense needs to find it's way.
 Bills defense can only do so much.

some have predicted next year they should be settling in.
we shall see

I remain

Hopeful

Tip o'   'the hat to you Hapless

Nice to hear your opinion. Earl Campbell you say?

wow, thats strong.! and fairly awesome recommend from you 

they won't let him go though.
I would like to see the next one in the draft. One they think that compliments Singletary , not competes with Dev

I liken Henry to Campbell in terms of strength and his stiff arm, not in terms of speed. When Earl entered the league, he ran a 100 yard dash in 10 seconds or less. His career was cut short by injuries and overuse. He ran as well as anyone I ever saw but again, Henry has similar power and actually weighs 15 or so pounds more. 

Its a dream whereas Henry is a southerner. It would probably take a huge contract to get him up here but in a season like this, Bills Fans are allowed to dream. :)

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I liken Henry to Campbell in terms of strength and his stiff arm, not in terms of speed. When Earl entered the league, he ran a 100 yard dash in 10 seconds or less. His career was cut short by injuries and overuse. He ran as well as anyone I ever saw but again, Henry has similar power and actually weighs 15 or so pounds more. 

Its a dream whereas Henry is a southerner. It would probably take a huge contract to get him up here but in a season like this, Bills Fans are allowed to dream. :)

I know you're a big CFB guy.  Your impressions of Edwards-Hellaire?