What must Allen do Tomorrow?

billsfan_34

Get the ball out quickly. Sling it around. Help us win.

I don't care about total yardage but I want to see Josh cutting it loose. I feel he has tried to play within himself the past 3 games.... I want less of that. If they wanted someone to manage the game, lean on the rushing attack, make the odd good throw on third down then they should have drafted Mason Rudolph. They drafted Josh to be the reason we win. Let the kid show it. 

Winning is the only thing that matters.  Get to 6-2.  I’d like to see them free up Josh more, but let’s say Daboll sees they are weak against the run, kind of like Philly saw against us last week.  It would be coaching malpractice to not run Gore and Singletary and take advantage of the mismatch.

This obsession with Josh reaching some magic yardage is out of control.  It used to be completion percentage of over 60% and now since that is answered we have to have a new bone to gnaw on.  To the point that a poster this week literally said he’d rather the team lose so long as there’s 300 yards passing.

win the game.

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Kind of a nit, but...NFL.com shows the Bills as a team with 5 fumbles lost and Josh Allen with 4 fumbles.

I"m pretty sure someone else on the Bills has had a lost fumble this year.

Yeldon vs Bengals.  But I was talking about 5 lost of his 16 career.  16 may be concerning but with 11 recovered it doesn't seem like a big story to me.

10 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Winning is the only thing that matters.  Get to 6-2.  I’d like to see them free up Josh more, but let’s say Daboll sees they are weak against the run, kind of like Philly saw against us last week.  It would be coaching malpractice to not run Gore and Singletary and take advantage of the mismatch.

This obsession with Josh reaching some magic yardage is out of control.  It used to be completion percentage of over 60% and now since that is answered we have to have a new bone to gnaw on.  To the point that a poster this week literally said he’d rather the team lose so long as there’s 300 yards passing.

win the game.

I think the reason for the obsession with passing yards is it shows improvement from Allen. Like some one else said, Allen wasn't drafted to be a game manager. I watch other games a lot and for some reason Allen and the offense struggles much more then most. The worst part is they are playing some of the worst teams in the league this season.  They shouldn't be struggling as much as they do. 

As for what I expect, I need to see a big improvement today. He has to throw for over 220 yards, have a completion percentage of 70 and 2 passing TDs. I don't care if his short passes have improved, for me that's not good enough. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Jrb1979 said:

I think the reason for the obsession with passing yards is it shows improvement from Allen. Like some one else said, Allen wasn't drafted to be a game manager. I watch other games a lot and for some reason Allen and the offense struggles much more then most. The worst part is they are playing some of the worst teams in the league this season.  They shouldn't be struggling as much as they do. 

As for what I expect, I need to see a big improvement today. He has to throw for over 220 yards, have a completion percentage of 70 and 2 passing TDs. I don't care if his short passes have improved, for me that's not good enough. 

You need to see that?  Need?  What if he has that and they lose?

Need?  That’s just too self-absorbed for me, I guess.  I just want my team to win.

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Need?  That’s just too self-absorbed for me, I guess.  I just want my team to win.

The reason I said I need to see it, is it would a long way to show me Allen is the guy. Its not that I don't want to see them win, I want to the offense improve a lot. Cause up this point they are trending in the wrong direction. Scoring only 19 points a game isn't good enough. The defense isn't always going to hold teams to 17 points. 

20 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

The reason I said I need to see it, is it would a long way to show me Allen is the guy. Its not that I don't want to see them win, I want to the offense improve a lot. Cause up this point they are trending in the wrong direction. Scoring only 19 points a game isn't good enough. The defense isn't always going to hold teams to 17 points. 

I see.  We differ in the word need.  I need to see them win.  I would like to see them free up Josh so he can play the first three quarters the way he plays the fourth quarter.

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would prefer to see us get out to a comfortable lead and stay there with no need for taking over a game or 4th quarter heroics.

But maybe that's just me.

Absolutely, I was talking about him playing great for 3 & half quarters and being on the bench late in the 4th as we have a comfortable lead

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

I think he is just responding to the question at hand that helps up get a W. We all want to win ?

Better and faster decisions is all I need to see from JA. He needs to recognize where to throw the ball sooner and get it out of his hands. Many (most?) of his fumbles were caused by holding he ball too long because he didn’t read and recognize the coverage soon enough to find the open receiver. 

I don’t care about total yards, completion percentages or INTs provided he’s making the right decisions fast enough. Everything with him is driven by his decision-making. Read and react sooner and he’ll fumble less, throw fewer picks, throw “on platform” more with greater accuracy and....complete the long ball! 

The good news is, I think he’ll get there. The signs of improvement are there but they’re coming slowly. 

1 minute ago, BisonMan said:

Better and faster decisions is all I need to see from JA. He needs to recognize where to throw the ball sooner and get it out of his hands. Many (most?) of his fumbles were caused by holding he ball too long because he didn’t read and recognize the coverage soon enough to find the open receiver. 

I don’t care about total yards, completion percentages or INTs provided he’s making the right decisions fast enough. Everything with him is driven by his decision-making. Read and react sooner and he’ll fumble less, throw fewer picks, throw “on platform” more with greater accuracy and....complete the long ball! 

The good news is, I think he’ll get there. The signs of improvement are there but they’re coming slowly. 

Generally agree. He's trending upwards in just about every facet of the game.

2 minutes ago, BisonMan said:

Don’t forget better mechanics- last week they weren’t right. Get that ball up and be ready to fire it, set your feet and drive it.

I'm big on the eye test when it comes to football players, especially quarterbacks. I have no statistically expectation because I often feel like stats fail to show the true picture of the performance quality. What I want to see out of Josh, firstly, is the moment he's in the pocket before he throws the football, does he have the calm, still,  set stance that Tom Brady does so well. The few times I've seen him do this, good things tend to happen. Josh having that calm still moment in the pocket shows me that he isn't panicking, and he's able to calmly asses the defensive coverage to make his decision. Secondly, I want to see a touch throw over the top of a defender. There was one throw to Duke Williams this year where Duke hurt his shoulder, which may be the only legitimately good touch throw Josh has thrown over the top of the defender. Everything else I think Josh does fairly well. Turnovers are more of the luck of the bounce than anything else in this league, and while some of Josh's come on preventable bad decisions, his red zone efficiency shows the ability of Josh when he doesn't need to stretch the field vertically, and can attack the field horizontally.

It's time for Allen to start demonstrating that he's a franchise QB.  He does that by making good decisions ... by making the correct reads quickly as well as finding open receivers  ...  by not making stupid plays  ...  by connecting on a downfield play or two.

12 hours ago, ScotSHO said:

The only answer is to play like a franchise QB.  We must seek acceptance from the national media.  Wins are meaningless.

I kid.  Just win the damn game.

Exactly. I’m beyond sick of hearing these comments. The guy has a winning record as a starting qb. He had 5 wins last year with a crap roster and has had numerous comeback wins. What more can he do?  Has he been perfect?  Nope. But people need to stop acting like he’s supposed to be at this point. He was drafted as a project with enormous potential. So far he has played like it. 

• Like (+1) 1

Break Norm Van Brocklins' record of 554 yards, while going 27-41 with 5TDs and no Ints. If he throws for 555+ and goes 42 for 41 with 6 TDS and a pick, JA haters will focus on the pick as a sign he is erratic and inaccurate. Advanced metrics people will say he should have only had 154 yards(lotsa YAC) and been 20-41.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower