Just Jack

Deadspin is dead

The sports blog that refused to play ball died Friday at the age of 14. Former Editor-in-Chief Megan Greenwell confirmed its passing on Twitter. Cause of death: Everyone quit in protest.

“And with that, it’s over,” Greenwell wrote. “Deadspin no longer employs a single writer or editor. I am gutted but so very proud of this group of people.

“Deadspin was a good website.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/deadspin-is-no-more-after-mass-staff-exodus-former-eic/

Edited by Just Jack
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

very interesting.  Site was mostly garbage, IMO.  More click-bait and self-righteousness reporters than anything else.  

• Like (+1) 7

This had some real stories worth reading. Other stuff was crap.

it showhow fragile web sites really are.

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

I will miss its annual "Why Your Team Sucks."

It was about time to call it on that series, I feel. But it was, for a time, one of the site's crowning achievements.

2 hours ago, Big C said:

It was about time to call it on that series, I feel. But it was, for a time, one of the site's crowning achievements.

Yeah, it was boring this year, but other years were great 

• Like (+1) 1

They got very political and very anti-conservative. I had to stop reading it cause their articles turned from mostly sports to mostly liberal talking points

• Like (+1) 24
  • Meh 4
  • Confused 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, djp14150 said:

This had some real stories worth reading. Other stuff was crap.

it showhow fragile web sites really are.

That sounds like the Buffalo News website.

• Like (+1) 1

Started out good. Got bad in a hurry around 2015-2016, like a lot of things. Portnoy is gloating on Twitter about it. He offered a former deadspin editor $100k a year to be his butler 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

Oh no, SJW bloggers got mad and now want to bag groceries instead of write articles no one read. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Confused 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Good....when I first heard about Deadpsin I found it different and interesting. But over time, the more I read it the more I could definitely sense an overt one sided political slant. I can't remember exactly which article was the straw that broke the camel's back per se, but at that point over a year or so ago I made a conscious decision to no longer visit the site. 

Edited by RaoulDuke79
  • Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, LeviF91 said:

Started out good. Got bad in a hurry around 2015-2016, like a lot of things. Portnoy is gloating on Twitter about it. He offered a former deadspin editor $100k a year to be his butler 😂

The upper management should be fired directly into the sun specifically for giving Portnoy something to gloat about.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

They got very political and very anti-conservative. I had to stop reading it cause their articles turned from mostly sports to mostly liberal talking points

Agreed.  Im not even a conservative - I’m about as moderate/in the middle as it gets, but I am so sick of the constant bias of self righteous reporters at every turn lately. 

Deadspin turned into Buzzfeed sports. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I was mistakenly under the impression that being “gutted” would hurt more than finding out 14 of your hypstyr journalist co-workers did not show up for work to protest a greedy hedge fund.  It sure looked painful in Braveheart, but then again Mel Gibson is a pretty good actor and I don’t have any hedge fund people in my neighborhood. 

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, stuvian said:

politics ruins everything

Exactly.  I’m hoping most other websites that inject self righteous PC babble get the message. 

Sometime me I just want to read the dang article without being scolded.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Meh 1

Any moment for this thread to move to the dark side

• Haha (+1) 2

yea they got one sided very judgy and alienated a lot of their audience.  It's kind of amazing to me that people don't understand why bartool is currently killing it.  Instead of trying to understand it they just try to bash it and bring it down only to see them grow.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

So you do not think Republicans use sports for their anti-liberal and pro-conservative talking points?  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Meh 1
  • Skeptical 1
  • Confused 1