Deadspin is dead

Just Jack

People can complain about the politics in sports but most of their articles were sports related. Maybe 10 to 15% weren't. I actually get the argument of stick to sports as there are few sanctuaries away from politics but the site in its most popular days always had political articles which were often their most popular pieces.

The issue stems from venture capital firms wanting insane returns on investments. Deadspin is a sports blog with a good readership but it was never going to be a business that delivered a 10 to 1 return on investment.

The site was profitable under their original ownership but it was never going to grow into Vice or anything like that. It was a profitable enterprise but much like a lot of things venture capitalists touch making a nice profit isn't enough. The new management pushed their agenda because they wanted to cut costs and make the site inflate his value.

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

People can complain about the politics in sports but most of their articles were sports related. Maybe 10 to 15% weren't. I actually get the argument of stick to sports as there are few sanctuaries away from politics but the site in its most popular days always had political articles which were often their most popular pieces.

The issue stems from venture capital firms wanting insane returns on investments. Deadspin is a sports blog with a good readership but it was never going to be a business that delivered a 10 to 1 return on investment.

The site was profitable under their original ownership but it was never going to grow into Vice or anything like that. It was a profitable enterprise but much like a lot of things venture capitalists touch making a nice profit isn't enough. The new management pushed their agenda because they wanted to cut costs and make the site inflate his value.

Viewership, Clicks, & Alexa ratings had been in a steady decline (could be stale content, could be political) and their parent company Gawker got sued for all their worth for leaking Hulk Hogans sex tape & being overall terrible at journalism. 

if the site was seeing continued success drastic changes would not have had to be made

Edited by uticaclub
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Viewership, Clicks, & Alexa ratings had been in a steady decline (could be stale content, could be political) and their parent company Gawker got suit for all their worth for leaking Hulk Hogans sex tape & being overall terrible at journalism. 

if the site was seeing continued success drastic changes would not have had to be made

Who said drastic changes needed to be made? Have you ever been part of an acquisition/takeover? Drastic changes are often made not because they *need* to be made, but sometimes just because someone wants to, power, ego, etc. A company I used to work for was acquired earlier this year and they just announced they're shutting the whole thing down. I know for a fact is made $20M in profit with 50 employees and would've taken about 10-15 people to keep the lights on and that money rolling in.

One of the apps I created while there was top 100 in the Google Play Store. They didn't shut it down because it wasn't popular, well reviewed or very profitable. They probably shut it down because it wasn't the next trillion dollar thing, like BillsFan89 referenced. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Who said drastic changes needed to be made? Have you ever been part of an acquisition/takeover? Drastic changes are often made not because they *need* to be made, but sometimes just because someone wants to, power, ego, etc. A company I used to work for was acquired earlier this year and they just announced they're shutting the whole thing down. I know for a fact is made $20M in profit with 50 employees and would've taken about 10-15 people to keep the lights on and that money rolling in.

One of the apps I created while there was top 100 in the Google Play Store. They didn't shut it down because it wasn't popular, well reviewed or very profitable. They probably shut it down because it wasn't the next trillion dollar thing, like BillsFan89 referenced. 

I’ve actually worked in both M&A and currently in mobile advertising. If a business is printing money, smart investors leave it be and hire advisors to oversee current operations. Also, you should know better than I do that the app store is flooded with apps that can’t monetize and while they get many downloads, they aren't that profitable. Too many ads, terrible user experience. I haven't read Deadspin in years but there are articles I can cite for you saying that the only advertisers they could attract were annoying pop-ups killing any current user base.

Edited by uticaclub

Haha. This thread is exactly what I thought it would be.  It’s hilarious how big of snowflakes some of you are. The same people who hate Deadspin probably love Clay Travis and Will Cain, who do the same exact thing only with conservative views.  

Im a weirdo but even when I don’t agree with someone’s view, if it’s well stated, I’ll listen.  

5 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

Maybe the lesson that was learned by ESPN and deadspin will be heeded by others - keeps sports and politics separate.

Like Clay Travis and Jason Whitlock? Or do you like them?

and I do honestly get that point.  Some people to just watch the games.  But I feel some of the people who complain about everything being “woke” or SJW would have be complaining about Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

right be he didn’t agree with their beliefs so pansies all of them 

Good call. They're not pansies at all. Everyone quits their sports writing jobs due to their feelings being hurt because they can't scribble "Trump/Republicans are literally Hitler" in their online diaries.

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Haha. This thread is exactly what I thought it would be.  It’s hilarious how big of snowflakes some of you are. The same people who hate Deadspin probably love Clay Travis and Will Cain, who do the same exact thing only with conservative views.  

Im a weirdo but even when I don’t agree with someone’s view, if it’s well stated, I’ll listen.  

Like Clay Travis and Jason Whitlock? Or do you like them?

and I do honestly get that point.  Some people to just watch the games.  But I feel some of the people who complain about everything being “woke” or SJW would have be complaining about Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier.

Lol. Princess chimes in to call people racist. Shocker.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BillsDude said:

So you do not think Republicans use sports for their anti-liberal and pro-conservative talking points?  

“Wouldn’t you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say, ‘Get that son of a B word off the field right now. Out! He’s fired. He’s fired!’” - Trump

It always cuts both ways.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

Good call. They're not pansies at all. Everyone quits their sports writing jobs due to their feelings being hurt because they can't scribble "Trump/Republicans are literally Hitler" in their online diaries.

Lol. Princess chimes in to call people racist. Shocker.

And a stupid person chimes in because he can’t read.  Unless I hit a nerve. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Haha. Enjoy this because it would never happen in real life.  Enjoy being “tough” for the first time in your life! 

Cute. Enjoy pretending to be "smart". We know you played college football and bang 10's there, Al Bundy. Everyone knows. You love telling everyone. Ad nauseam.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

3 minutes ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

Cute. Enjoy pretending to be "smart". We know you know you pull played college football and bang 10's there, Al Bundy. Everyone knows. You love telling everyone. Ad nauseam.

Never said exclusively 10s. Come on. That’s fake news.  And I’m way younger than Al Bundy and will admit I never scored 4 tds in a game. Sadly. ?

but I do have to get ready for a fancy dinner. No hard feelings and enjoy your Saturday. Go Bills. 

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BillsDude said:

So you do not think Republicans use sports for their anti-liberal and pro-conservative talking points?  

It's possible, but reading those most recent "why your team sucks" articles were a bit of a chore. They shoehorned an alarming amount of barely comprehensible, not well-grounded political points/comparisons for the purpose of...I don't really know. It made some of them hard to get through. Very cringe, as the kids say. 

6 hours ago, BillsDude said:

I didn’t say that. Fox News does it all the time. 

But I’ve never known a conservative sports website that skews as far right as deadspin does left. I just want to read about sports and some funny items relating to sports. Not dead spins self righteous spew. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Just in Atlanta said:

Ridiculous comparison.

The journalistic profession--I'm a former reporter--has been taken over by holier than thou liberals who've given up the mission of unbiased reporting. They can't even hide it from a damn sports website. I don't even consider myself a Republican but it should be obvious to anyone.

Old men complaining about undereducated, coddled millionaires kneeling for the anthem is not in the same ballpark of this discussion. 

It sounds like you have a bit misplaced hostility. Sounds familiar.