Deadspin is dead

Just Jack

6 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

I didn’t say that. Fox News does it all the time. 

But I’ve never known a conservative sports website that skews as far right as deadspin does left. I just want to read about sports and some funny items relating to sports. Not dead spins self righteous spew. 

Barstool Sports is taking that side I think. Although it may just be more anti PC than anything

Really, having been a casual fan of the site and followed its destruction with some fascination...ultimately, it's dead because everyone involved was an idiot.  Owners decided they wanted their political blog to be about sports, sports bloggers screamed "We don't want to blog about sports, we're taking our sports writing and going home!"  A circular firing squad of immature children - it's the most Deadspiny death it could die. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Really, having been a casual fan of the site and followed its destruction with some fascination...ultimately, it's dead because everyone involved was an idiot.  Owners decided they wanted their political blog to be about sports, sports bloggers screamed "We don't want to blog about sports, we're taking our sports writing and going home!"  A circular firing squad of immature children - it's the most Deadspiny death it could die. 

Really, what a simplistic take on the situation.  It seems that the writers at Deadspin were committed to inventing something different than typical sports commenting; seeking to create a different genre of writing that merged sports, humor, and politics. You might not like the product or their views, but your perception that they are “idiots” for sticking to their principles is shallow. 

Edited by buffalonian
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Nick the Greek said:

To me, it got old and stale.

maybe with some new writers it can become funny again. 

I don’t know. Lines like (for the Patriots*): “Your 2018 record: 11-5. A Super Bowl victory that was about as entertaining as watching a feather-haired old man get a handjob,” I thought really rang true for pretty much all the fans of 31 other teams, and probably about 85% of Pats* fans (if they’re being honest with themselves— an unlikely scenario, I know…).

But, what I always appreciated about that annual series, and DeadSpin in general, was that whatever they were writing, whether you agreed with them, or not, you could see that they were indeed paying attention. Lines like: “Peterman is no longer with this team and no longer free to nestle down and get all cuddly in the dog bed Sean McDermott provided for him,” really show me that Drew Magary, the author of that series, gets it.

I can not even imagine trying to keep track of the number of national sports pundits— people who get paid a lot of money to cover NFL football for large market news outlets— whose articles I read about the Bills that rely on tired, old assumptions that those who have been paying attention know are no longer relevant.

“Listen man, all you need to know about the Bills in 2018 is that they signed Vontae Davis to a free agent deal before the season and then the man realized, right in the middle of a Week 2 game, that he didn’t feel like playing football ever again. That’s what happens to people when they arrive in Buffalo. They land at the airport, survey the frozen and windswept barrens, hear “Name” playing on a loop at the local wing joint, and instinctively want to flee.”

No, I don’t agree with it. But, I can’t read that and not laugh.

Edited by Rocky Landing

17 minutes ago, buffalonian said:

Really, what a simplistic take on the situation.  It seems that the writers at Deadspin were committed to inventing something different than typical sports commenting; seeking to create a different genre of writing that merged sports, humor, and politics. You might not like the product or their views, but your perception that they are “idiots” for sticking to their principles is shallow. 

And that's exactly why it died.  You can't comment on politics without taking sides and that only ends up alienating half your base.  It started as a sports blog and should have stayed that way.

1 hour ago, buffalonian said:

You're Barry Petchesky, aren't you?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

I didn't have much exposure to deadspin. I would read their "Why your team sucks" and get a laugh out of it, and maybe 1-2 articles per month that popped up in my news feed. I never viewed them as a political site, and certainly not a left leaning site. Their articles generally seemed to be humorous and filled with sarcasm (closer to the Onion than actual news). 

I'm looking at Deadspin's front page and I see one article that touches on political topics (article about a Palestinian soccer team). The article doesn't take any political sides. Am I missing something here? Do you guys have examples of Deadspin being overly political and left wing? 

Are they legitimately a left-leaning website? Or are the people claiming that the same that think Fox News is fair and balanced?

19 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I didn't have much exposure to deadspin. I would read their "Why your team sucks" and get a laugh out of it, and maybe 1-2 articles per month that popped up in my news feed. I never viewed them as a political site, and certainly not a left leaning site. Their articles generally seemed to be humorous and filled with sarcasm (closer to the Onion than actual news). 

I'm looking at Deadspin's front page and I see one article that touches on political topics (article about a Palestinian soccer team). The article doesn't take any political sides. Am I missing something here? Do you guys have examples of Deadspin being overly political and left wing? 

Are they legitimately a left-leaning website? Or are the people claiming that the same that think Fox News is fair and balanced?

What?!? You don’t think Fox News is fair and balanced??  It’s right in the motto! 

9 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

People with strong biases don't recognize those same biases in media because it just seems like objective news to them.

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

It's been called Leftspin for years and they were pretty open about it. They had a countdown for when Trump wouldn't be President ahead of the 2016 election. 

On 11/2/2019 at 8:52 AM, BillsDude said:

So you do not think Republicans use sports for their anti-liberal and pro-conservative talking points?  

No. I don't.

On 11/2/2019 at 10:12 PM, Doc said:

And that's exactly why it died.  You can't comment on politics without taking sides and that only ends up alienating half your base.  It started as a sports blog and should have stayed that way.

Yep. Spot on.

• Like (+1) 1

Deadspin caught a groove for a while. It had mostly moved past me by its later run but I always enjoyed Magary. The implosion is not surprising. The Hogan lawsuit crippled Denton and original ownership. Then Univision bought it on the cheap and didn’t care what they wrote. Then G/O bought it from them and want to turn it into an aggregator. Sucks that they’re gone, even if you didn’t agree with their politics. 

Barstool used to be a cesspit but even I can admit they are getting better. Portnoy still angers me to no end though (mostly for the boston fandom.)

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GG said:

Doesn't appear that it's quite dead yet.  In fact, it looks like it's getting better.

it’s not better. It seems they have secured some ghostwriters that still employ some trademark deadspin snark in their writeups (perhaps ex-deadspinners long forgotten who are afraid of showing their face yet?) but a big part of going to deadspin for a very long time was the comments. Comments are obviously still disabled by management because they’d be excoriated in them. 

Again, whoever these nameless ones are, they’re doing decent work. It is just so bland now overall. 

On 11/1/2019 at 11:59 PM, Just Jack said:

This is amazing! I remember some people on this board posting the terrible articles written on that blog, lol. I'm really surprised they lasted that long.

Thanks for sharing you made my day!