Andy Dalton benched in Cincy

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

If I'm the Bears I would be on the phone right now trying to get him. He wasn't the problem in Cincy and is being pushed aside because they have given up on the season.

Replacing Trubisky has to be a priority for them unless they plan on throwing another season away. Include him in the deal to Cincy to help them take over the #1 spot in the tank race......

Are we in that different of a situation than the Bears?  I guess you gotta give Allen the rest of the year, but I’d absolutely go after Dalton in the off-season if Allen doesn’t progress.  

"Bridge QB" or "good game manager" fits him well. So many "haters" have called Allen a bust from day one. My own concern, is that he becomes a guy on Dalton's level, or Stafford's, Flacco's. etc.: quite good but not great. Good enough you don't want to get rid of him, but not great enough for the higher level games. I'm not saying that's what will happen! Just that it's my concern. Josh is already a better QB we've had for years and years. You have to go back to Beldsoe & Flutie. And he's still learning!

Bengals are dumb IF they don't have another option already though. KC could change from Alex Smith as they had Mahomes. The Panthers and Jaguars now see they have another option at QB. Do the Bengals have one?

6 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Yeah, there's a guy on this board who would take him just for that, because he'd rather see a Bills QB throw for over 300 yards than a Bills win.

Da Bears have to take a look.

To be fair, if the Bills offence could have a game where the QB could put up 300 yards, they wouldn't have to squeak out wins and have 4th quarter comebacks against the league's bottom feeders......

3 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

"Bridge QB" or "good game manager" fits him well. So many "haters" have called Allen a bust from day one. My own concern, is that he becomes a guy on Dalton's level, or Stafford's, Flacco's. etc.: quite good but not great. Good enough you don't want to get rid of him, but not great enough for the higher level games. I'm not saying that's what will happen! Just that it's my concern. Josh is already a better QB we've had for years and years. You have to go back to Beldsoe & Flutie. And he's still learning!

Bengals are dumb IF they don't have another option already though. KC could change from Alex Smith as they had Mahomes. The Panthers and Jaguars now see they have another option at QB. Do the Bengals have one?

Allen is too physically gifted to ever end up a game manager.  It’s all or nothing with him.  If he cuts down on the turnovers and learns to play winning football he’s a top 5 QB.  If he continues the soul crushing turnovers and doesn’t learn to move the chains, he’s out of the League after a stint with the Raiders.  

Edited by BuffaloRebound
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Do you have a link or are you saying that this is so because Dalton got benched?

Asking because I'm not sure Dalton's status necessarily triggers anything else.  They were already winless before this announcement.

Sounds like he is going to the Saints.

13 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Funny how long it takes these organizations to realize Quarterback X isn't good enough.

How many years did Cinci waste spinning wheels with Dalton and Mavin Lewis before this?

How many years did Miami kill waiting for Tannehill to get good?

How many years will the Bills waste waiting for Josh Allen to be less "raw" and "gain experience"?  

We'll find out I guess!

I agree, that’s why when one drops to you, you take him. Like what the Pats did with Jimmy G. 

There should be constant competition at every position, especially at QB. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, zevo said:

I was actually going to make this exact reply as a joke....sadly this dude is serious.

5 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

You have no idea what you’re talking about. 

The first step to recovery is realizing you have a problem.  Denial is not a River boys.

4 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

To be fair, if the Bills offence could have a game where the QB could put up 300 yards, they wouldn't have to squeak out wins and have 4th quarter comebacks against the league's bottom feeders......

Now there's some common sense.

How could any one not want the last QB to get the Bills into the Playoffs?  Finally, we could have him on our roster, that would be nice.

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

could be they seee the Dolphins playing hard and the race to bottom is not over

More like they saw the Dolphins let Pittsburgh walk into the end zone on 3rd and 22 after running out to a 14-3 lead.  They realize they gotta up the ante in the race to the bottom.  

• Haha (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, teef said:

It hasn’t even been 2 full years yet.  We all know he needs improvement, but just settle down. 

Didn't you know that you find out all you need to know about a QB after 17 career starts? It's the precise amount of games where you'll be able to definitively ascertain that the player is exactly what he is, cannot improve, cannot progress, and must be kicked to the curb in order to start all over again with someone else. Sheesh man, thought you knew this with your fancy toof degree and everything. ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Josh Allen is not regarded as a better QB than Andy Dalton by ANYONE outside of delusional Bills fans.  Right now, Josh Allen is a bottom 5 starter in this league.   There's a distinct difference between potential and reality and that seems to be a lost concept to a lot of you.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Yeah, there's a guy on this board who would take him just for that, because he'd rather see a Bills QB throw for over 300 yards than a Bills win.

Da Bears have to take a look.

See below thread.    Once you can throw for 300 yards , you join an elite club ?

19 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Finley is never going to be the answer. My suspicion is that they're eyeing Miami and noticing that that Fitz might actually gut out a win or two for the Phins (Fitz did it for the 0-8 Bills in 2010, after all).  At 0-8, they have a chance to get the inside track on getting #1, and they don't want to miss that chance. 

Either that, or they're sending up a clear smoke signal that if a talented team with a hole at QB wants to send them a pick today, they are manning the phones.

Or maybe they're already talking.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Funny how long it takes these organizations to realize Quarterback X isn't good enough.

How many years did Cinci waste spinning wheels with Dalton and Mavin Lewis before this?

How many years did Miami kill waiting for Tannehill to get good?

How many years will the Bills waste waiting for Josh Allen to be less "raw" and "gain experience"?  

We'll find out I guess!

I love how you put “gain experience” in quotes, as if there’s another way to do it aside from waiting. “Gain immediate and absolute experience in 1.5 years”

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Either that, or they're sending up a clear smoke signal that if a talented team with a hole at QB wants to send them a pick today, they are manning the phones.

Or maybe they're already talking.

The Bengals don't have a GM. I'd be shocked if anyone was even there to pick up the phone.

2 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Josh Allen is not regarded as a better QB than Andy Dalton by ANYONE outside of delusional Bills fans.  Right now, Josh Allen is a bottom 5 starter in this league.   There's a distinct difference between potential and reality and that seems to be a lost concept to a lot of you.

I guess this is my nomination for Unintended Irony of the Week.

The potential is that Allen just made his 18th start; the reality is that he's regarded as a raw young QB with a high ceiling who has shown improvement and has yet to show where that ceiling is.  The reality is that Andy Dalton is a 9 year vet with 128 starts and he's not going to get any better from this point on; in fact, without a true #1 WR target he'll arguably get worse.

Very very few young QBs in this league can match up every week with a veteran QB, because savvy and experience can make ground on high energy and a big arm.  That's why 15 year journeymen like Fitzy can still have jobs.

4 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

The Bengals don't have a GM. I'd be shocked if anyone was even there to pick up the phone.

They have someone in the building who responds to AJ Green trade queries.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Happy Gilmore said:

Doubt it.  The Saints have Teddy Bridgewater, who did a great job in Brees' absence, waiting in the wings.

Not Dalton. AJ Green.  When something like this gets written somebody is trying to make something happen.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2019/10/28/a-j-green-new-orleans-saints-bengals-may-trade-deadline-per-cbs/2493043001/

If I am Buffalo, I actually consider this move in the offseason to improve the QB room. This isn't a bad football team, but it isn't very good either. Next year we will need better QB play to win 10+ games. Allen will either be good enough by then, or we will be talking about drafting a new one in 2021. Dalton could be a good insurance policy for 2020. 

2020 Opponents: 
MIA x2

NYJ x2

NE x2

DEN

KC

OAK

ARI

LAC

LAR

SF

SEA

PIT (if the season ended today)

HOU (if the season ended today)

2 minutes ago, FUTURIST said:

Not Dalton. AJ Green.  When something like this gets written somebody is trying to make something happen.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2019/10/28/a-j-green-new-orleans-saints-bengals-may-trade-deadline-per-cbs/2493043001/

Ah, I see.  Well if the Saints are interested in an injured 31 WR, so be it.  The article also states the Bengals are listening for offers for Cordy Glenn, who I could see gets moved before AJ Green.