Kelechi osemele injury situation - very bad look for the Jets (update: Cut)

YoloinOhio

Gase had a knack for handling personal vendettas against players in a very odd manner when he was in Miami.   I expect the Jets to have somewhat of a surge down the back stretch of the season, but this is still one of the most confounding hires I've seen in a long while.   The Rex hire was similar, but he had at least had some success as a head coach.  

15 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Even last offseason they basically had to pay well above market to get the guys they did. The Mosley deal, regardless of how good he is was well above the highest paid LB at the time because he preferred to stay in Baltimore and only left because he couldn’t keep turning down significantly more $. The Jets were bidding against themselves with Bell, he waited as long as he could to go somewhere else but that was his only real option for the money. Then you had Anthony Barr whose agent did the deal and when he found out he said he was sick about it and totally reneged and stayed in Minnesota for less $. They have a terrible reputation that’s just getting worse. 

Sounds like the Knicks front office 

5 minutes ago, syhuang said:

Pending free agents definitely are taking notes about this situation. Good luck to attract FAs this offseason, Gase, if you make it to next offseason.

Hmm, Darnold may wanna reconsider somewhere else to play. They’re trying to get rid of Anderson and I’d venture to guess Bell will start bellyaching at some point. Gase needs to be fitted for a straight jacket 

4 hours ago, K-9 said:

Given their talent, I can understand the praise. 

But given that everybody knows it takes much more than talent to become winners, I’m surprised anyone is shocked at where the Jest are now. Especially with Gase at the helm, as you pointed out. 

Im missing something on the “talent” comment... second year QB who had an up and down season, a running back coming off a literal down year that nobody knew what was what and has looked okay... I guess? A horrible offensive line. No skill players. A defense whose only benefit was the front 7, but who includes an overpaid stack LB and a couple of highly drafted guys who haven’t lived to the hype, and one of the worst secondaries in the NFL. Add a terrible HC and a DC with a penitent for hot and cold streaks and making messes everywhere he goes... the hype was completely artificial. 

4 hours ago, MR8 said:

Mehta is a Jets Fan boy who goes 100 MPH for them when things are good and 100MPH against when they're bad. He has zero journalistic integrity ...

I need this take in an IV. 

• Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Im missing something on the “talent” comment... second year QB who had an up and down season, a running back coming off a literal down year that nobody knew what was what and has looked okay... I guess? A horrible offensive line. No skill players. A defense whose only benefit was the front 7, but who includes an overpaid stack LB and a couple of highly drafted guys who haven’t lived to the hype, and one of the worst secondaries in the NFL. Add a terrible HC and a DC with a penitent for hot and cold streaks and making messes everywhere he goes... the hype was completely artificial. 

I need this take in an IV. 

Imo, the Jest has two areas of weakness going in: CB and OL, as you mentioned. They’ve got some talented players at many other positions, though. So I could at least understand how people could respect that. 

Manish Mehta should just retract that crap about Gase just to maintain what little credibility he has left. Gase is the antithesis of a leader. 

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Imo, the Jest has two areas of weakness going in: CB and OL, as you mentioned. They’ve got some talented players at many other positions, though. So I could at least understand how people could respect that. 

Manish Mehta should just retract that crap about Gase just to maintain what little credibility he has left. Gase is the antithesis of a leader. 

They were also weak at WR, at LB (aside from Mosley) and they had no real pass rushers. Those are some serious weaknesses. They had some talented players, but that doesn’t make them a talented team. The bills are a talented team as the talent is deep and wide. We got slammed while the jets got praised because they had two or three players that can sell jerseys.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

They were also weak at WR, at LB (aside from Mosley) and they had no real pass rushers. Those are some serious weaknesses. They had some talented players, but that doesn’t make them a talented team. The bills are a talented team as the talent is deep and wide. We got slammed while the jets got praised because they had two or three players that can sell jerseys.

I’ll just agree to disagree about the Jest talent level going in and leave it at that. 

Nobody should be surprised the Bills didn’t garner praise in the off season. Small market, lack of success, and players nobody outside of WNY has heard much about conspire to make that a reality. Until we make an impact on a national level, it’s just something we’ll have to live with.

23 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I’ll just agree to disagree about the Jest talent level going in and leave it at that. 

Nobody should be surprised the Bills didn’t garner praise in the off season. Small market, lack of success, and players nobody outside of WNY has heard much about conspire to make that a reality. Until we make an impact on a national level, it’s just something we’ll have to live with.

Thats fine, but you’re also pointing to the reality of how the pre-season hype train runs... recognizable names. Thus the jets were hyped and the bills overlooked, even though the bills are a much more talented team- top to bottom.

45 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Dudes on SiriusXM NFL reported Gase said he will discuss Mosely's future after the game this week. They seemed to think they were going to move on from Mosely.

Rough outing for the Jets this year.

Wait what?? Well I guess he was signed by the old GM. What a train wreck. 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wait what?? Well I guess he was signed by the old GM. What a train wreck. 

He was paid well beyond the next player at his position. He played well for 1 half of football and the whispers are he's done for the season with his groin.

Otherwise, this doesn't look good for the Jets and I seriously question what benefit they get out of taking this stance with the player even though I think what the Jets are saying is true. The point is..even if it *is* true..your best case scenario is getting a guy back who doesn't want to be there and you benched because he sucked. Eat the loss, let him have the surgery and find a new team in the offseason.

Also, the notion that this will cause problems with free agents is silly. Free Agents will almost always go where the money is best. 

2 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

He was paid well beyond the next player at his position. He played well for 1 half of football and the whispers are he's done for the season with his groin.

Otherwise, this doesn't look good for the Jets and I seriously question what benefit they get out of taking this stance with the player even though I think what the Jets are saying is true. The point is..even if it *is* true..your best case scenario is getting a guy back who doesn't want to be there and you benched because he sucked. Eat the loss, let him have the surgery and find a new team in the offseason.

Also, the notion that this will cause problems with free agents is silly. Free Agents will almost always go where the money is best. 

I know he’s hurt but - he’s really good and he’s signed for years beyond this. Even if he missed the rest of the season - why move on? He was given a contract way above market but that is what it is. I don’t think they are hurting for cap space. And the market will keep changing. Anyway I hope they do move on of course. 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I know he’s hurt but - he’s really good and he’s signed for years beyond this. Even if he missed the rest of the season - why move on? He was given a contract way above market but that is what it is. I don’t think they are hurting for cap space. And the market will keep changing. Anyway I hope they do move on of course. 

He's not good. He wasn't good with the raiders last season and has been a tire fire for the Jets. The Jets benched him. It had nothing to do with an injury.

He's also not signed for "years". He's signed through next year and the Jets can cut him this offseason to free up over 11 million in cap room.

The Jets do not have a ton of space. Currently, they will be 24th in free cap space. Now, they're not in a *bad* cap position because they can cut a lot of guys like Osmele to free up room.

21 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

He's not good. He wasn't good with the raiders last season and has been a tire fire for the Jets. The Jets benched him. It had nothing to do with an injury.

He's also not signed for "years". He's signed through next year and the Jets can cut him this offseason to free up over 11 million in cap room.

The Jets do not have a ton of space. Currently, they will be 24th in free cap space. Now, they're not in a *bad* cap position because they can cut a lot of guys like Osmele to free up room.

I was referring to CJ Mosley 

On 10/25/2019 at 7:04 AM, MR8 said:

Mehta is a Jets Fan boy who goes 100 MPH for them when things are good and 100MPH against when they're bad. He has zero journalistic integrity ...

Yeah, I always thought he was terrible....along with the rest of the Daily News sports coverage.  Do they still feature Lupica and his 'I'm a short, whiny, super-PC version of Dan Shaughnessy' act?

2 hours ago, CNY315 said:

If I were a FA contemplating the NYJ, it would be so reassuring to know I can count on the Jets front office to respect the salary rights of an injured player and a vested veteran.  Fine 'em for "Conduct Detrimental" then cut 'em, way to end-around that stuff while the player's agent posts about his surgery and implies that your team physician is incompetent

Brilliant.

NOT

This is truly one where even if the NYJ win the grievance battle, they may certainly lose the war.

Maybe this was covered already but if the Jets are found negligent in ignoring his health (he is saying 3 doctors told him to have surgery) and they cut him, IMO the NFL shouldn’t give his cut contract full cap relief next year.  Otherwise teams like Belicheat will figure out some way to game the system and it might be easier to cut someone, get sued and pay an injury settlement instead of eating a cap number. 

23 hours ago, H2o said:

As they should and I hope he gets a substantial return, as well as the Jets organization being penalized in some manner. 

Yes maybe something like losing the 2nd draft pick ?

On 10/26/2019 at 4:47 PM, KD in CA said:

Yeah, I always thought he was terrible....along with the rest of the Daily News sports coverage.  Do they still feature Lupica and his 'I'm a short, whiny, super-PC version of Dan Shaughnessy' act?

Is there another way to feature Lupica other than being a whiny B word?