Your Top 5 games

9 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

1.  First AFL championship game

2.  1974 season opener Monday night Raiders game

3.  Beating the Raiders to go to SuperBowl 1.

4.  Season opener 1980, finally squishing the Fish.

5.  Monday night game against KC watching OJ go over 1000 half way through the season

I’d only add 37-35 over Jets in ‘68. Otherwise this is my list. Was at every game except ‘64 Title Game.

9 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

1.  First AFL championship game

2.  1974 season opener Monday night Raiders game

3.  Beating the Raiders to go to SuperBowl 1.

4.  Season opener 1980, finally squishing the Fish.

5.  Monday night game against KC watching OJ go over 1000 half way through the season

Great list. To this day I still carry the ticket stub around in my wallet from #4 above. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Gugny said:

So what are your top 5?  Or did you just chime in to be a dick?

The 1990 AFC Championship is the obvious one but otherwise couldn't possibly narrow it to 5.

I know you don't always watch the games but most of us watch them all...........it's a 48 hour time investment annually..............but you got leaves to rake so we understand.:thumbsup:

13 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

1st: 1990-1 AFC Championship on 1/20/91.  Bills 51 Raiders 3. I had already bought my airline ticket to Orlando (not flying into the Super Bowl city is much cheaper & easier for flights, car rentals etc) for the Super Bowl and by halftime I knew I was going.  The whole 2nd half was a celebration of the Bills 1st Super Bowl appearance.  

2nd: The comeback on 1/3/93.  Bills  41 Oilers 38.  Not only did I stay the whole game, but after I got home about 5 hours later the 1st thing I did was watch the tape of the game I had just seen.  

3rd: Super Bowl XXV Bills 19 Giants 20.  I was so excited to go to the Super Bowl I barely slept all week.  Even though we lost, I was so proud to have seen a great game.  

4th: Opening day 9/7/80.  Bills 17 Dolphins 7.  The 10 year losing streak vs Miami was over.  I like many other fans went on the field after the game, the only time I've ever been on the field.

5th: 12/9/73.  Bills 37 Patriots 13.  My 1st NFL game.  Growing up in the NYC metro area my father didn't know how to get tickets to the Giants & after the Super Bowl victory Jets tickets were tough too.  So I had never been to an NFL game until I was in college & I heard such bad things about the Rockpile when I 1st got to WNY, that I waited until the new stadium opened before going to a game.  

The biggest conclusion after looking at the dates:  There hasn't been a lot of thrills in recent years.  Also, I gave up my seasons after 22 years after the 2011 season.  

I agree with the first 4 and understand about your #5.

But I'd have to swap that one out with

Wk #2 1992 Bills at San Fran. The no punt game. Bill's 34-31.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The 1990 AFC Championship is the obvious one but otherwise couldn't possibly narrow it to 5.

I know you don't always watch the games but most of us watch them all...........it's a 48 hour time investment annually..............but you got leaves to rake so we understand.:thumbsup:

Thank you for confirming why you chose to chime in.

2 hours ago, Buffalophil1948 said:

I agree with the first 4 and understand about your #5.

But I'd have to swap that one out with

Wk #2 1992 Bills at San Fran. The no punt game. Bill's 34-31.

The criteria was you had to have attended the game.  I never went to a game at Candlestick even though I've been to 2 games at the Santa Clara stadium 4 seasons ago.  

15 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The reason these "these are the cool games I attended" threads rarely have the legs the OP expects is that there are literally thousands of Bills fans who have been to 300-400 or more Bills games.    

400 is a little high.  Say you're just going to Bills home games in Buffalo & OP.  If you went to every one & the playoffs for the last 50 years the total number of games would be under 400, due to 14 game schedules prior to 1978, Bills home games sent to Toronto & the game played in Detroit due to the snow storm.  Now I've only lived in WNY for 10 seasons of the 46 seasons I've been going to Bills games & haven't lived there since 1982 but I went 16 straight seasons never missing anything but preseason games and my total in 46 seasons is only 257 games.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

400 is a little high.  Say you're just going to Bills home games in Buffalo & OP.  If you went to every one & the playoffs for the last 50 years the total number of games would be under 400, due to 14 game schedules prior to 1978, Bills home games sent to Toronto & the game played in Detroit due to the snow storm.  Now I've only lived in WNY for 10 seasons of the 46 seasons I've been going to Bills games & haven't lived there since 1982 but I went 16 straight seasons never missing anything but preseason games and my total in 46 seasons is only 257 games.  

It's tough to pare it down to 5 games, but also kind of fun.   Brought back fun memories.

18 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

It's tough to pare it down to 5 games, but also kind of fun.   Brought back fun memories.

I don't know if I can go 5 deep, but my #1 worst game ever attended was 10/11/09 a 6-3 loss to Cleveland.  Near the end of the game the score was tied 3-3 & it looked like the game, which was excruciating to watch , was going to go into overtime.  Then Cleveland punted & Roscoe Parrish fumbled & lost the ball.  Cleveland recovered & I was so happy when they kicked the winning FG to end the misery.  It was a long drive back to Albany.  

1.Titans at Bills 2000 after Music city miracle. Crowd was insane that night.

2.  Patriots at Bills Streak ender

3. Giants at Bills in 1993, first game I attended in Buffalo

4. Colts at Bills Nov 1998, Bills blowout hadn't been to a game since 93 in Buffalo. 

5 Jets at Bills Sept 99, Sunday night football win.

21 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I don't know if I can go 5 deep, but my #1 worst game ever attended was 10/11/09 a 6-3 loss to Cleveland.  Near the end of the game the score was tied 3-3 & it looked like the game, which was excruciating to watch , was going to go into overtime.  Then Cleveland punted & Roscoe Parrish fumbled & lost the ball.  Cleveland recovered & I was so happy when they kicked the winning FG to end the misery.  It was a long drive back to Albany.  

That is on the short list for worst game in league history

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

400 is a lot but I count preseason games too and I tailgate with people who have surpassed that number and are still walking vigorously without assistance.   I think Kenny will surpass 350 just in the 2000's this season.     Some years the preseason games have been one or more of the most fun games of the season.:lol:   And I'm not kidding.   Short of making the playoffs there is little more satisfying than seeing young players emerge in the preseason.  I'm pretty psyched about seeing Tyree Jackson play 8 quarters this ps.  Plus beautiful sunny warm weather, happy fans and scantily clad women......or even entirely unclad women.  Definitely be a few of the preseason games in my top 25 of the 2000's at least.    It's impressive that you've gotten to 250 living mostly outside of WNY.........that's a lot of games.........but that's my main point.     

This isn't like MLB or the NHL where it's nearly impossible to attend all games so seeing or even being there for franchise historically significant ones isn't just a stroke of luck.    Most dedicated Bills fans see every Bills games the day they happen whether in person or broadcast.    So these threads kinda' read like the old Chris Farley talk show sketch were he asks the guest "remember when you did that?..........That was awesome".

But anyway I apologize for letting Gugny hijack the thread with his bickering...........I was just pointing out that to out-of-towners who have to plan travel and take vacations to attend games these always seem like 50 page threads waiting to happen.  But the reality is that as long as there are actual living and breathing human beings that live close enough to the stadium to roll out of bed by noon and comfortably make it to kickoff it's not going to be a feat of fandom to make it to A LOT of games.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I have only been to one Bills game live and a combination of EJ Manuel, the refs and the sheer and total incompetence of Rex ***** Ryan conspired to lose it. 

I think I have only missed one Bills game on tv since 2007 (including pre-season) and it was the loss in New Orleans in Marrone's first season because I was at Wembley watching the 49ers hammer the Jags. Every other London game I have been to has either been an early kick off allowing me to watch the Bills afterwards or a game during our bye week. I am going to Tampa and Carolina in our bye this year. 

I'm in the under 30 crowd and haven't lived in NY in 10+ years, so I've only been to fairly inconsequential games -- and not many.  The Bills are 9-1 in games I've attended, though, which is fun.  

My top 5 (in chronological order):

1) Bills-Vikings, 2006: W 17-12 -- Probably the least interesting game I've attended, but it was the first time I had been to the Ralph for a regular season game, so it holds high sentimental value.  Peerless Price scored a TD, which is really the only thing he did that season.

2) Bills-Seahawks, 2008: W 34-10 -- Only time I've sat in the 100's and we stood the entire game.  Roscoe had a great Punt Return TD, Brian Moorman threw a TD, and Tom Brady tore his ACL.  And yes, I did cheer when it was announced.  

3) Bills-Jets, Detroit, 2014: W 38-3 -- It was the first game I was able to attend in 6 years, so it was fun that they were playing 2 hours away from where I live, not 7.  Plus with everything going on with the storm it was kind of cool.  And free tickets.  Game was a blowout, but the people watching was fun: we counted jerseys from 30 distinct NFL teams, so definitely not a traditional Bills home game.

4) Bills-Cardinals, 2016: W 33-18 -- My first time in the stadium in 8 years and I brought some college friends to the stadium so they could experience Bills Mafia, tailgating, and real wings.  The mood was definitely somber going in to the game, half of our receiving core was hurt, but then the game turned into a blowout.

5) Bills-Dolphins, 2018: W 42-17 -- The Kyle Williams finale, my first time watching Josh Allen in person, and squishing the fish.  It was a meaningless game until Wednesday or Thursday before the game when Kyle announced his retirement.  

Anyhow, this list pales in comparison for those who have been able to attend SB's, or playoff games, or some of the other bigger games in franchise history.  But even attending relatively meaningless games, in a mostly dark period for the franchise, you still create memories attending games with families and friends.  I wouldn't want to attend every week, but there is something special about going to the games rather than watching on TV.