Greg Gabriel: Hot name to Jets is Ed Oliver at 3 (Gregg wants him)

5 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

This WR class reminds me of the 2008 WR class... Gotta make sure we take this years DeSean Jackson or Jordy Nelson and not Devin Thomas or James Hardy... I’m not even going to predict who the best WR in this class is going to be. It’s going to be fun watching when the run on WRs happens though. 

I think it’s more like 2014. I think there will be more like Hopkins, Evans, and ODB. Unfortunately, we made the wrong pick then and paid big for it with Sammy Blumpkin. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I won’t predict that he will be a bust, but man I’m concerned about his lack of size.  He will have to win completely with quickness as he is very underweight, has shorter than ideal arms and isn’t quite as tall as you want for the position. 

Watching his game tape, his quickness and effort are outstanding, but will that be enough to succeed in the NFL?  

I will certainly understand why they would take him and won’t hate the pick, but I don’t see him as a sure thing.

So, to me you are saying there is only one way to win in the NFL. That there is a mold a player must fit in order to succeed?

Moreover, if you truly watched Oliver, and realize just how dominant he was being miscast as NT.

To say Oliver won't succeed to to basically ignore the fact that the game is constantly evolving, as are the types of players skill sets and how they are utilized in the NFL.

Afterwards we can discuss how undersized Deon Buccanon is as a LB. Or maybe just acknowledge the aforementioned consistent evolution of what can be successful in the NFL when there is obvious talent.

11 hours ago, dubs said:

There is a zero point zero percent chance I’d trade up if I were the Bills, especially with the Jets. There’s going to be an awesome player available at 9. Don’t panic, Brandon. 

If the cost wasn't a next years 1st, I'd gladly move up for Q Will

31 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

If the cost wasn't a next years 1st, I'd gladly move up for Q Will

I’m the first to acknowledge that I’m no expert (similar to everyone here). But my feeling this year is as follows:

Bills have no glaring needs like last year needIng QB. There’s no clear cut tier of players that are head and shoulders above the rest. In fact, given that at least 1 QB will go before you, possibly more, you only need to have 8 players you’d be ecstatic about drafting, maybe 7. The job Beane did in the offseason gives them flexibility to take a player at numerous positions. DL, OL, EDGE, TE and LB are all in play at 9 and an impact player at one of those positions will be there. Given all that, why trade up for a player when someone will be there and there’s no clear cut need at one position or obvious talent that’s a consensus superior prospect?  Keep as many lottery tickets as you can.  

15 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

giphy.gif

This late in the game, I dunno.  The Jets played their hand last year and it was pretty clear they wanted one of two guys.  Mayfield or Darnold.  I could see this being true for the Jets and them bragging about it because there's not really any offer other teams can make for them to not select Oliver.  On the flip side, just because Williams wants him, that doesn't mean the GM will take him.

3 minutes ago, dubs said:

I’m the first to acknowledge that I’m no expert (similar to everyone here). But my feeling this year is as follows:

Bills have no glaring needs like last year needIng QB. There’s no clear cut tier of players that are head and shoulders above the rest. In fact, given that at least 1 QB will go before you, possibly more, you only need to have 8 players you’d be ecstatic about drafting, maybe 7. The job Beane did in the offseason gives them flexibility to take a player at numerous positions. DL, OL, EDGE, TE and LB are all in play at 9 and an impact player at one of those positions will be there. Given all that, why trade up for a player when someone will be there and there’s no clear cut need at one position or obvious talent that’s a consensus superior prospect?  Keep as many lottery tickets as you can.  

Simply put, Q Will is a generational talent. That takes precedent over any "players you'd be ecstatic to have" at 9.

Generational talent > possible future pro bowler

8 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

You beat me to it.  Gregg has a personality that wears thin very quickly, and Gase is no Prince Charming either.  Those 2 could be run out of town on a rail, or in the case of being in the NY metro area, on a railroad.  

There’s always the ‘landfill’ option.  If any stadiums are being built in the area, there’s another distinct possibility.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

This late in the game, I dunno.  The Jets played their hand last year and it was pretty clear they wanted one of two guys.  Mayfield or Darnold.  I could see this being true for the Jets and them bragging about it because there's not really any offer other teams can make for them to not select Oliver.  On the flip side, just because Williams wants him, that doesn't mean the GM will take him.

That last statement is certainly true, BUT....

last year it was Greggo who pushed for CB Ward at 4 which allowed the Bills to get Allen at 7 instead of trading for 5 with Denver, thus saving their other R1 pick for Edmunds. Whether it's the Jets or another team, there will be a surprise pick that cascades down the draft board. Five more days...

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Simply put, Q Will is a generational talent. That takes precedent over any "players you'd be ecstatic to have" at 9.

I don’t like that term, but i do believe QW is one of the “sure things” in this draft. Even though he was coming out of Bama, he wasn’t that big of a recruit (relative to most of his teammates). Probably made him work harder to get where he is. He’s a McDermott player like they created him in a lab. 

• Like (+1) 1

To me it’s pretty clear try we’re using pick # 3 as bait for a QB trade up. My thought process is they must have talked to all the teams in need of a QB and they were either told that their not interested in moving up to 3 or that the Jets price is too high. 

So the Jets have now shifted to saying how much they love Ed Oliver and if you really want him you better come and get him. Basically talking straight to teams like Buffalo, Tampa Bay, the Giants, Detroit to see if they will now take the bait

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t like that term, but i do believe QW is one of the “sure things” in this draft. Even though he was coming out of Bama, he wasn’t that big of a recruit (relative to most of his teammates). Probably made him work harder to get where he is. He’s a McDermott player like they created him in a lab. 

#9, #40, next year's 2nd, and this years 5th should do it. Would you make that trade for him?

Just now, BuffAlone said:

#9, #40, next year's 2nd, and this years 5th should do it. Would you make that trade for him?

I don’t think I would because I really want a TE with that 2nd rounder. But I think i could see the Bills making that trade 

28 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Generational Talent is probably not an accurate description of him. If that was the case, he’d be universally mocked to top 3 and we’d have no chance at him. 

Just now, dubs said:

Generational Talent is probably not an accurate description of him. If that was the case, he’d be universally mocked to top 3 and we’d have no chance at him. 

Ummm...he is, isn't he?

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t think I would because I really want a TE with that 2nd rounder. But I think i could see the Bills making that trade 

I think I'd do it. The kid is gonna be worth that price for years to come

2 minutes ago, dubs said:

He is, and we have no chance at him at 9. If not for the Kyler Murray thing he’s 1 or 2.

https://www.stack.com/a/the-perfect-storm-how-quinnen-williams-became-a-generational-talent

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

He is, and we have no chance at him at 9. If not for the Kyler Murray thing he’s 1 or 2.

https://www.stack.com/a/the-perfect-storm-how-quinnen-williams-became-a-generational-talent

I don’t know. Maybe it’s the term I don’t like. That says to me he’s a once in a generation player. If that was the case, there would be almost nothing we could do within reason, coming from 9, to get up to 1 or 2 to get him. 

But like o said in my original post, I’m not claiming expertise or anything on this. ?

1 minute ago, dubs said:

I don’t know. Maybe it’s the term I don’t like. That says to me he’s a once in a generation player. If that was the case, there would be almost nothing we could do within reason, coming from 9, to get up to 1 or 2 to get him. 

But like o said in my original post, I’m not claiming expertise or anything on this. ?

Whatever term you prefer, QW is arguably the best player in this draft and will be chosen within the top 5. And has EVERY tool to be a consistently superb player for many years. The closest thing to "a sure thing" that there is

6 minutes ago, dubs said:

Generational  player when used in this context means 1 in 20 years at the position. I don’t like the term either and think it’s used way too flippantly. But he’s a damn fine NFL prospect for sure. Like checks every single box there is. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, mrags said:

I think it’s more like 2014. I think there will be more like Hopkins, Evans, and ODB. Unfortunately, we made the wrong pick then and paid big for it with Sammy Blumpkin. 

Perhaps.... and I hope not. I lost a TV that day when they announced Watkins instead of Mack.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

So Gregg will over rule the HC and GM - interesting.

I think this is a smokescreen. But I will say that both Gase and McCaggnan are huge wusses. Gregg will take over that team by the end of the year. He's an ass but he's also and Alpha and the players follow him. He will undermine Gase every step of the way

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think this is a smokescreen. But I will say that both Gase and McCaggnan are huge wusses. Gregg will take over that team by the end of the year. He's an ass but he's also and Alpha and the players follow him. He will undermine Gase every step of the way

I’m good with that!   ?

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m good with that!   ?

Its an insane hire when you hire a spineless dude like Gase as a head coach. He's a weirdo and a know it all who players hate. Williams is old school tough as nails who players love. Seems like a combustible situation. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Seems like nearly every year the Jets force themselves to take an interior lineman and end up having to let the previous guy walk because they’re overloaded at the position.  They did this with Mo Wilks and Richardson.  Let them do it again with Q or Oliver - I don’t see them giving Leonard Williams and another interior DT each a $100m contract in 3-5 years.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Seems like nearly every year the Jets force themselves to take an interior lineman and end up having to let the previous guy walk because they’re overloaded at the position.  They did this with Mo Wilks and Richardson.  Let them do it again with Q or Oliver - I don’t see them giving Leonard Williams and another interior DT each a $100m contract in 3-5 years.

They are stuck in 4-3, 3-4 purgatory. Constantly switching. Now you have a bunch or personnel in the front seven that don't match what Gregg does. I know they say they are going to keep a 3-4 concept but Gregg has been a tried and true 4-6 guy for a long time. I know if his very varied in his approach, but the Jets continually churn through schemes and draft players who don't quite fit.  Leonard Williams, Sheldon Richardson, Darron Lee, Quinton Coples are all 4-3 guys drafted to play in a 3-4 for some reason. So yeah the Jets are dumb. 

• Like (+1) 2

never believe rumors. As Buddy Nix pointed out, GM's may hint at this planned action or another, but only a fool takes it seriously. GM's are as clueless as the rest of is when it comes to guessing what another GM is going to do.

19 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

He’ll be interim in year 3. Gase was a laughable hire.

On 4/19/2019 at 3:40 PM, YoloinOhio said:

We’re not gonna make it, folks.

God ? please let this be  true !!

let the Jets take him , 

Unfortunatlly it’s just Smoke & Mirrors!!! 

I hope we ( BIG ) PASS on him at 9 , 

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 5:59 AM, Logic said:

I just tweeted this to Sal, but...

First we hear from Matt Miller that the Bills love Ed Oliver. Then we hear that the Jets "badly" want to trade down. Then we hear that the Jets are taking Oliver. I know trades with division rivals are rare, but is it crazy to think the Jets are trying to lure the Bills into trading up for Oliver?

To #3? I doubt it. If they were at #7 or close, then maybe, but the Bills aren't going to give up that much.