Zerovoltz Draft Analysis

My thoughts on this draft.

1.  This a ONE QB draft.  Kyler Murray is it.  (it could be 2 IF Grier ends up in a good spot)  I love Murray and I like Grier.  The rest of the QB's in this class are garbage.  Grier would need to land in a place like Cincinnatti where he'd have a chance to supplant the starter in order for this to become a two QB class.  Unfortunately for Grier, I get the impression that a team like Indy or Carolina would take him and he'll ride the bench behind a well established starter.

2.  This draft has a TON of DL blue chip prospects at the top. 

3.  Combine the idea here that it's a one QB draft, and that the blue chips will be available into the 20's and that means your going to have a draft with little or no trading at the top.  With no QB to go up for, none of the teams like Washington or Miami will be inclined to pay a price to move up for the 2nd QB in this draft who is probably every bit as good (or bad as the case may be) as the 8th QB.  Also, if you can get a Blue chip defender at 20, why trade up to 8, 9 etc?  The market conditions aren't going to be there for teams to want to pay to move up.  

4.  This all means the Bills and others up at the top will be staying put and making a selection.  And so, with the 9th pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select TJ Hockensen, TE, Iowa.  My thought here is the Bills believe in their defense and their scheme.  By getting involved in an attempt to trade for Antonio Brown, the front office has shown they are all in on getting Josh Allen weaponry.  The Bills do not have a weapon at TE on their roster.  Hockensen would start from day 1 and make an immedeate impact.

5.  The Giants won't take a QB in round 1.  The Broncos won't take a QB in round 1.  The Dolphins won't take a QB in round 1.  The Redskins won't take a QB in round 1 (because I think they will be trading their pick to Arizona for Rosen)  In fact, after Murray, the other QB's are going to slide down the board....again, based on my assesment that these QB's suck, coupled with the blue chippers into the 20's...no reason to draft a flawed QB high when you can get the same flawed guy in round 4.  I wouldn't be entirely surprised at all if only Murray goes in round 1.

6.  Round 2 will see several WR that will prove to be good value selections.

Yes, I know you all don't care for the Chiefs fans perspective, but this is high quality analysis and I provide it for free. :D

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Grier lol

Yes, Grier.

3 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

I really don't know how I'd respond if Hockenson was the Bills pick at 9. He good, but is he #9 good? Mixed emotions for sure.

Kinda like watching your mother in law back off a cliff in your brand new Mercedes Benz.

I can certainly understand this view.....Having Kyle Williams retire means there is a spot and need for someone like Ed Oliver...and that would certainly make a ton of sense.  I went with Hockenson because I think your coaching staff knows their D is solid...they need to get Allen all the support they can...because the coach and GM's jobs depend on Allen failing or succeeding....not if the D is ranked 5th or 15th.  Given that everyones future success or failure is riding on Allens arm....I figure the choice is Hockensen.

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Zerovotlz said:

1.  This a ONE QB draft.  Kyler Murray is it.  (it could be 2 IF Grier ends up in a good spot)  I love Murray and I like Grier.  The rest of the QB's in this class are garbage.  Grier would need to land in a place like Cincinnatti where he'd have a chance to supplant the starter in order for this to become a two QB class.  Unfortunately for Grier, I get the impression that a team like Indy or Carolina would take him and he'll ride the bench behind a well established starter.

3.  Combine the idea here that it's a one QB draft, and that the blue chips will be available into the 20's and that means your going to have a draft with little or no trading at the top.  With no QB to go up for, none of the teams like Washington or Miami will be inclined to pay a price to move up for the 2nd QB in this draft who is probably every bit as good (or bad as the case may be) as the 8th QB.  Also, if you can get a Blue chip defender at 20, why trade up to 8, 9 etc?  The market conditions aren't going to be there for teams to want to pay to move up.  

4.  This all means the Bills and others up at the top will be staying put and making a selection.  And so, with the 9th pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select TJ Hockensen, TE, Iowa.  My thought here is the Bills believe in their defense and their scheme.  By getting involved in an attempt to trade for Antonio Brown, the front office has shown they are all in on getting Josh Allen weaponry.  The Bills do not have a weapon at TE on their roster.  Hockensen would start from day 1 and make an immedeate impact.

5.  The Giants won't take a QB in round 1.  The Broncos won't take a QB in round 1.  The Dolphins won't take a QB in round 1.  The Redskins won't take a QB in round 1 (because I think they will be trading their pick to Arizona for Rosen)  In fact, after Murray, the other QB's are going to slide down the board....again, based on my assesment that these QB's suck, coupled with the blue chippers into the 20's...no reason to draft a flawed QB high when you can get the same flawed guy in round 4.  I wouldn't be entirely surprised at all if only Murray goes in round 1.

Yes, I know you all don't care for the Chiefs fans perspective, but this is high quality analysis and I provide it for free. :D

I agree with a lot of this.  There is wishful thinking around here that teams like Miami and Washington are going shell out a king’s ransom to move up a few slots to 9.  Not happening.

I’m not as down on this QB class as you are, but I won’t be surprised if only one goes in the top 15.   

I think some WRs who don’t deserve it will get pushed up the board into the first round.  And I agree there will be good ones available in round 2.

I will be surprised if the Bills don’t go defense with their first pick, unless they manage to trade back.  They think they’ve adequately addressed offense in free agency and won’t be desperate to grab a receiver or an OL.  

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think people know what to make of Haskins. He's the biggest mystery in the draft. 

Generally agree that the conditions are not ripe for a trade down. The only possibility is if a GM falls in love with Dewey.

7 minutes ago, dubs said:

Jeffismagic

I get this alot.  I am not Jeffismagic.  ....ironically, I post on a Denver Broncos board (and also Jetsnation) as Zerovoltz, and over there, those guys think I am also a Pat Mahomes guy who reinvented a new name etc.  I'm really Zerovoltz.  From KC.  I live in Dallas/Ft Worth.  I met and took pictures with Poncho Billa at the 2018 draft.  My wife is a hot asian woman.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Zerovotlz said:

I know these are your opinions so i won't bash them because they differ with mine so I'll just ask you questions instead.

For comment #1- I think Murray is a fantastic athlete, he has a strong arm but a 1 man show? He wasn't even talked about until he declared for the draft, has only 1 year under his belt and was questioning whether to go to baseball instead. I have a hard time believing his 210 lbs. frame can take an NFL pounding but we'll see. What makes him the clear cut best QB in the draft in your eyes?

Comments #2 and #4-  The draft experts and gurus are saying this may be the best DL draft in the history of the NFL that being said we would take a TE instead of one of the DL? You state that the Bills have no weapon at TE but Kroft is being paid like he's the new weapon for the Bills and Croom in his first season showed flashes of potential so it's hard to get behind that theory that we don't have a good tandem there , I don't hate Hockenson but I'm trying to figure out what makes him the 9th best player in this draft class in a deep TE draft when we only have 1 pass rusher who turns 32 years old. So you think were a TE away? If our staff thinks this defense is set I'd be terrified, what makes you think they are fine with the defense as is with no other pass rushers?

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Zerovotlz said:

I get this alot.  I am not Jeffismagic.  ....ironically, I post on a Denver Broncos board (and also Jetsnation) as Zerovoltz, and over there, those guys think I am also a Pat Mahomes guy who reinvented a new name etc.  I'm really Zerovoltz.  From KC.  I live in Dallas/Ft Worth.  I met and took pictures with Poncho Billa at the 2018 draft.  My wife is a hot asian woman.  

Mmmm...I like hot Asian women...?

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Zerovotlz said:

I mean.....congrats but who cares?

46 minutes ago, Zerovotlz said:

Then why do you post here as ZerovoTLZ?

1 hour ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I guarantee that 3 QBs go in Rd 1. Stone cold lock. ? 

Yep. Shades of ‘11 when Locker, Gabbert, and Ponder went 8, 10, and 12 respectively. The QBs in this draft aren’t far from any of those stiffs.

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Grier lol

I assume you think Grier is not good-I watched him play about 6 games this year and all were impressive-did you see him stink in some game? I am not an expert but he seems like the most NFL ready QB-reminded me of Josh Rosen, just no concussions.

15 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I assume you think Grier is not good-I watched him play about 6 games this year and all were impressive-did you see him stink in some game? I am not an expert but he seems like the most NFL ready QB-reminded me of Josh Rosen, just no concussions.

Not a fan.  Terrible mechanics.  Below average arm.  Not a fan of what he does once the first read isn’t there.  I like his accuracy when in the pocket firing.  3rd rd prospect at best imo.  But I’m on the couch 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

It is possible to change it.........

Can an Admin look into it or someone tell me how?

28 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Not a fan.  Terrible mechanics.  Below average arm.  Not a fan of what he does once the first read isn’t there.  I like his accuracy when in the pocket firing.  3rd rd prospect at best imo.  But I’m on the couch 

Mechanics is overated....can he get the ball to his target?  Yes.  .....a metric of his that really stands out to me...is that he has a pretty high completion rate downfield along with a good depth of target metric to go with it.  That says to me that he is identifying targets further downfield than alot of guys AND...and this is the important part..he gets the ball to them.  Grier isn't a great runner...but I'll take him as a pocket passer with a GOOD NFL arm that reads the field and can get the ball to targets.  Winning from the pocket like this is what it takes to be a consistant winner in the NFL.  If the Bengals were to land him in this draft....they'd have something I think...he goes to a spot with an established starter we may never know or will wait a long time to find out......I am still very high on Mason Rudolph...but he's sitting behind Big Ben.

12 minutes ago, Zerovotlz said:

Can an Admin look into it or someone tell me how?

Mechanics is overated....can he get the ball to his target?  Yes.  .....a metric of his that really stands out to me...is that he has a pretty high completion rate downfield along with a good depth of target metric to go with it.  That says to me that he is identifying targets further downfield than alot of guys AND...and this is the important part..he gets the ball to them.  Grier isn't a great runner...but I'll take him as a pocket passer with a GOOD NFL arm that reads the field and can get the ball to targets.  Winning from the pocket like this is what it takes to be a consistant winner in the NFL.  If the Bengals were to land him in this draft....they'd have something I think...he goes to a spot with an established starter we may never know or will wait a long time to find out......I am still very high on Mason Rudolph...but he's sitting behind Big Ben.

You summed up the best part of Grier’s game very well.  He has good anticipation.  I don’t think he has a “good arm”.  When the play breaks down he tends to turn his back to his WRs a la Russell Wilson and Josh Allen, but he doesn’t have the arm talent or mobility to make a play.  

Mason Rudolph.  I guess that says it all.  I can’t stand the guy.  I’m praying that he becomes Bens replacement.  That will eliminate them from playoff contention.  He threw nice deep balls to 2 of the best WRs in the country in a wide open offense.  Deer in headlight when the play breaks down and makes some really bad decisions.  

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks for the post.

I would be thrilled if the Bills selected Hockenson, but I doubt they will.

Most Bills fans, including myself, think it's going to be a DT or Edge rusher. Beane and McDermott's draft histories, as well as those of other men in the draft room, seem to indicate a defensive lineman. An OFFENSIVE lineman might have been the pick at 9, but with the Bills signing 6 of them in free agency, the need is lessened to the point where the Bills needn't reach. Put simply: the 3T position is critical to the success of McDermott's defense, and there is a glaring hole at that position after Kyle Williams' retirement. At the same time, the Bills were bottom 6 in sacks last season defensively, and the contracts of Jerry Hughes and Shaq Lawson are up after this season, so they direly need to re-stock the edges. For these reasons, DT or Edge seem to be the likely picks.

It will not shock me if the Bills take Hockenson, but I sincerely doubt they will. I think Irv Smith in round 2 is a lot more likely.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

Grier is also garbage.

You are underestimating teams desperation for QBs, therefore the prospects that have been talked about will go first round and dont be surprised to see Lock go to the Giants.

This also means teams  will be jumping around and we will be able to capitalize on that and possibly get more picks unless our guy is the clock.

Im also hoping we can get Hockenson and trade back, which really depends were Hockenson might go. If we have to take him at 9 then so be it but hopefully we can trade back and still get him.

3 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Jeffsmagic wants the Bills  to draft Cody Ford this year...

Just thought I would throw that into the washing machine that is this thread.. 

I don’t hate the idea but not at 9....

Didn't think he was still around. Thought he became a chiefs fan after they got Mahomes?