Who do you want in the first round?

elijah

What pick do you want the Bills to make?   

162 members have voted

1. 1. What pick do you want the Bills to make?

• TRADE UP: DT, Quinnen Williams
    • TRADE UP: EDGE, Josh Allen
    • DT, Ed Oliver
    • TE, TJ Hockenson
    • WR, DK Metcalf
    • OT, Jawaan Taylor
    • OT, Jonah Williams
    • Trade Down
    • Other TE/WR
    • Other DL
    • Other OL
    • Other

3 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

At 9 I want BPA.  This will most likely be a defensive player.

I want the Bills to move up and get back into the 1st or add a 2nd in round 2.  I would like to see more quality, less quantity this year.  3 picks in first 2 rounds is the goal.

I think Beane is more interested in quality over quantity. I would rather have 7 draft picks that are solid than accumulate even more picks (we currently have 10) by passing on better talent. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Allen is gonna be on his rookie deal for at most another 2-3 years.  That’s the window where you can go out and pay for established talent.  Makes way more sense to go after an established pass rusher like Clark and Clowney than draft a Sweat, Burns or even an Oliver at 9.  Ford set the market at a 2nd round pick for a pass rusher on the franchise tag.  That equals a trade down from 9 to 21 or 23.  

While I dont disagree with the Allen rookie deal aspect, I think the main selling point on Oliver is that he gets pressure up the middle, which is the best way to beat Brady. The rest of the guys you mention are all edge rushers.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Augie said:

I went Oliver over trade down, in a toss up. If I knew what we would get in a trade down, I might lean the other way. Bottom line, we need elite talent rather than just filling needs, and Oliver just might be that kind of game changer. 

I’d love Q. Williams, but the cost would be too great. 

I think if Williams is there at 5 probably cost us a third 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Who are we taking in 20 something range in that trade down?

(I am not against it....just wondering if we are now in offensive weapon territory)

Could probably do an Edmunds trade up for Hockenson or Metcalf.  One of them will probably still be available around pick 16 or 17.  

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

You think the Bills can go from 9 to 5 for a 3rd round pick?  Unless I am misreading your post, that is never going to happen.

I agree.  It would have to be something closer to what it cost the Jets last year.  Not the same but closer to that. 

42 minutes ago, Rufridr101 said:

I think if Williams is there at 5 probably cost us a third 

Sadly, I see no way he gets to 5, and even less that we can get there for a 3rd. But we can dream!   ?

A trade up is out of the question.   

Our team is neither desperate for a QB, nor on the edge of greatness where one HOF type player would put us over the edge to a championship.   Those are the only two reason you would trade up.

We're too thin at Dline, LB, TE, OT and RB to give up our second rounder, where we'll surely grab another productive player.

The whole beauty of where we sit and NOT needing a qb is to do exactly what Indy and Tampa did last year:   let someone else reaching for a QB overpay you for your spot, get multiple FREE high round draft picks, and still grab the dude you want all along.   Tampa grabbed TWO great cb's in the 2nd round from our picks AND still nailed Vita Vea at 12.

Indy did the same with the Jets, still got Quinton Nelson and picked up huge draft capital along the way.

It's rare to be in our spot, Beane isn't going to blow it by pulling a Whaley/Sammy Watkins blunder.

• Like (+1) 4

Honestly I dont see the Bills trading down. I think they'll try to move up but if they stand pat I say Hockenson at 9. You dont draft a player where you think he should he drafted rather you draft when the player you want is available. Hockenson is pretty damn good off the bat so I wouldn't pussyfoot and think he'll be there later. If they trade up itll be for an elite talent and I'd he fine with whomever they take if they do

4 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Please no to Hockenson at 9, you dont use top 10 picks on non premium positions

It's debatable if TE is a premium position now. I myself think having a elite TE can do wonders for a offense just ask Bill Belichick well maybe not ask him because he wants to keep teams not knowing what he has learned over the yrs. Adding a player like Hock will open up the entire field for our offense and will give Allen the security blanket he needs 

11 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

It's debatable if TE is a premium position now. I myself think having a elite TE can do wonders for a offense just ask Bill Belichick well maybe not ask him because he wants to keep teams not knowing what he has learned over the yrs. Adding a player like Hock will open up the entire field for our offense and will give Allen the security blanket he needs 

Where were all the top TE's in the league drafted?

28 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Where were all the top TE's in the league drafted?

Theres only 32 of these starting jobs across the league.  Teams carry 3 of them on average on a team . So basically there's 96 to 110 players at this position in the league it's not like other positions that have double triple the amount of players. So naturally teams do not value this position as much but the teams that are really good to great 80% of them have a difference making elite TE on there squad.  

Now since the position is not valued as much by old style managers this naturally pushes these players to 2nd or 3rd rds of the draft.  

Just now, BillsFan1988 said:

Theres only 32 of these starting jobs across the league.  Teams carry 3 of them on average on a team . So basically there's 96 to 110 players at this position in the league it's not like other positions that have double triple the amount of players. So naturally teams do not value this position as much but the teams that are really good to great 80% of them have a difference making elite TE on there squad.  

Now since the position is not valued as much by old style managers this naturally pushes these players to 2nd or 3rd rds of the draft.  

So if players are going to be pushed to those rounds, why would you take one top 10?

If Bosa, Allen, Williams, Wilkins, Oliver, Gary are on board, the Bills will draft them IMO.  If not, they trade down me thinks, acquiring an additional 2nd rounder.  If those 6 are gone, what Beane does will be very interesting.  Josh Jacobs is my super sleeper for the Bills pick.  He just might be BPA at 9.  Taylor Rapp is another player I think the Bills will consider after trading down, with one of the acquired picks

20 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

So if players are going to be pushed to those rounds, why would you take one top 10?

Most times I would be with u on this but this yr these top 2 guys are really special.  I hope the Bills do whatever it takes within reason to get Hock or Fant .

8 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Most times I would be with u on this but this yr these top 2 guys are really special.  I hope the Bills do whatever it takes within reason to get Hock or Fant .

If I saw them that way I would agree, if our GM feels the same then I wouldn't fault him for doing that. :beer:

5 hours ago, Augie said:

Sadly, I see no way he gets to 5, and even less that we can get there for a 3rd. But we can dream!   ?

Depends on the quarterbacks and the defensive ends.  How many spots did we move up last year for Allen 

1 minute ago, Rufridr101 said:

Depends on the quarterbacks and the defensive ends.  How many spots did we move up last year for Allen 

I see a couple QB’s before us, not more. But we can wish! Q. Williams is so highly regarded by so many, I see that as a super long shot. But what the heck do I know??? I’m down with getting lucky!  (Most of the girls in college had an answer to that, but this is a family place.) 

Just now, Augie said:

I see a couple QB’s before us, not more. But we can wish! Q. Williams is so highly regarded by so many, I see that as a super long shot. But what the heck do I know??? I’m down with getting lucky!  (Most of the girls in college had an answer to that, but this is a family place.) 

I agree he might not be there at 5 but defensive tackle isn't graded the same as pass rushers or quarterbacks. I really think beano would like to sign ziggy anash before the draft and trade our 9th and Jerry Hughes to move up. I know people here love Hughes as do i but he's really not a fit for McDermotts defense.  He will never be a double digit sack guy in this defense.  If Hughes played a defense that fits his style he's a 15 sacks kinda player.  Since beano wouldn't resign him next year why not get return on him this year 

1 minute ago, Rufridr101 said:

I agree he might not be there at 5 but defensive tackle isn't graded the same as pass rushers or quarterbacks. I really think beano would like to sign ziggy anash before the draft and trade our 9th and Jerry Hughes to move up. I know people here love Hughes as do i but he's really not a fit for McDermotts defense.  He will never be a double digit sack guy in this defense.  If Hughes played a defense that fits his style he's a 15 sacks kinda player.  Since beano wouldn't resign him next year why not get return on him this year 

At his age with one year left on his deal, I doubt you get much for Jerry. I think his chances of 15 sack seasons are in the past. I’ll leave it to the pros to figure this out, and trust them to get it right. 

10 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I can see your point Bray but I think the TE position is evolving in the league right now.  If we got a Kelsey or Ertz or Gronk at #9 I think we would all be happy.

You can build an entire offense around a great TE today, you don’t need a WR1.

I started a thread about Beane being a top 5 GM and a lot of people have the opinion that question rests on how good Allen becomes.  I agree with them, that’s why I think they go Hockenson at #9.  Allen still needs a go to weapon and Hockenson can be that guy.

In an interview at the recent NFL owner’s meeting McDermott spoke about how important Greg Olsen was to the development of Cam Newton, he called him a “security blanket” for Cam.  I think Hockenson gets the nod if he’s still on the board.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

With the offensive line taking shape, it's all the more reason to give Allen a guy like Metcalf.  

They could legit become the most lethal QB to WR combo in the league.

Metcalf is a walking hamstring tear waiting to happen.

Metcalf is a major risk.

If the Bills go for a WR early, I'd rather have Harmon or Harry and it's not even close.

5 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I can see your point Bray but I think the TE position is evolving in the league right now.  If we got a Kelsey or Ertz or Gronk at #9 I think we would all be happy.

You can build an entire offense around a great TE today, you don’t need a WR1.

I started a thread about Beane being a top 5 GM and a lot of people have the opinion that question rests on how good Allen becomes.  I agree with them, that’s why I think they go Hockenson at #9.  Allen still needs a go to weapon and Hockenson can be that guy.

In an interview at the recent NFL owner’s meeting McDermott spoke about how important Greg Olsen was to the development of Cam Newton, he called him a “security blanket” for Cam.  I think Hockenson gets the nod if he’s still on the board.

There were as many running backs as tight ends in the top 50 in receiving yards, 5.

I want to trade down but if not TJ Hockenson, can't beat having a great blocker and receiver all rolled into one.

16 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

TE is a premium position but we have chosen to ignore it.

a good TE is A QBs best friend.

if it is Offense-- it is Hockenson-- if not DLine all the way and Oliver will be the choice.. Beane has not addressed DL or LB in free agency...  2 of the first 3 picks will be front 7 as we start to replenish that area before Lawson, Hughes and maybe even Murphy are gone. 

I’ve done so many mocks, and it seems imperative to draft DL with our first selection.  Yep there is a ton of DL- but they are all going top 20.  If we go elsewhere with pick 1, I don’t see much DL post round 1.  But the draft is deep at TE, RT, RB, WR- so I would target those positions post round 1, and grab a DL with first selection

On 4/4/2019 at 8:15 AM, wppete said:

If Ed Oliver is there at #9 we take him. He’s perfect for our Defense and is top 5 talent in this draft.  If not trade down take T.J. Hockenson and take a DT in the 2nd or 3rd. Notre Dames Tillery is a great option in the 2nd. 

Verbatim...the likelihood of us trading up for Q or Bosa is very slim. Oliver @ 9 make the most sense as Ed can Immediately step right in for Kyle. The trade down scenario is absolutely perfect. Hock would be that dual TE threat we haven't had in 20+ years. Tillery would be a great grinder on the DL. The one thing I see this year on draft day is we really can't go wrong with any combination. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/4/2019 at 12:30 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

I thought you wanted All Pros in rounds 1 and 2?

Not sure that Gary is that. And if you're really after top talent why trade down and take lesser talent?

Passing on stuff that I have read- several sources think that Gary is a very athletic guy with great measurables, who, because of the college scheme, did not show up as a college star.  The expect him to be a great pro and feel that he is way underrated.  So, I expect him to have a shot at an all-pro and the best DL that we could get at 9 in a very good year for DL.

You have to put Christian Wilkins up there.  Since there are no trades, I’ll take Tj over Sweat and Burns

Marquise Brown is. Wr...... that weighs 19 lbs 

Edited by NewEra