AAF in serious danger of folding. UPDATE: AAF Suspends ALL Operations!

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I've watched at least 75% of the games. I like it.

My son has started rooting for the Fleet for whatever reason.  Likely the only child in the school, perhap the county, wearing AAF merchandise.  

Gameplay is good, especially with the Apollos.  

Bad coaches are bad no matter what, Mike Singletary.  

The "budget" in the halftime show is noticeable.  Lonely set.  If the personalities were anymore vanilla, they'd be wafers.

Outside of not having this NFL player thing resolved before starting, I think the AAF would have a better "feel" if they played in smaller stadiums.  

I'd take a fully filled small stadium over a half-filled large stadium.  The Chargers played in a sub 30,000 seat stadium last year and the AAF really should have found stadiums around that mark.  The only one that does is Georgia State Stadium (Legends home field).  

On 3/31/2019 at 5:40 PM, PlayoffsPlease said:

Because MLB and NHL are incredibly different.  The future stars in the MLB and NHL leagues are generally kids who were drafted straight out of high school.    The NFL has the NCAA to handle 99% of star player development.  The previous poster is dead on that the AAF is basically developing players who are at most, likely to be role players.  Virtually no stars are going to come out of the AAF. 

On 3/31/2019 at 5:40 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Because the NHL and MLB are sports that draw from a world talent pool bud

The good ol US of A is the only country in the world that plays this sport at an elite level and after 3-5 years in D1 weight rooms they are 95% developed and the cream rises

there are college all Americans every year who can’t make the league ... because of talent... that shows you how amazing these NFL guys are

Both good points. Add to that the average career span, 5.6 years on MLB, 5 in NHL. Only 3.3 in the NFL. Why pay to have league develop a guy that will play special teams for 3 years. You can find a 3 year special teams guy by having a one day open tryout like the eagles did?

1 hour ago, iinii said:

Has anyone seen a game?

I don't see why anyone who likes football wouldn't watch these games. 

The power of fandom is strong, though. For most people it's about having a reason to be a fan more than it is about a true interest in the sport.

The AAF will suspend all football operations

Posted by Mike Florio on April 2, 2019, 12:48 PM EDT

It’s not over. But it’s close.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the Alliance of American Football will be suspending all football operations within the next few hours.

The league won’t be folding, yet. But it seems to be moving in that direction.

The move comes in the aftermath of ominous comments from Tom Dundon, who became majority owner of the AAF several weeks ago. Dundon committed $250 million in funding to the league, but he had the ability to pull funding, and he obviously has.

I watched it the first few weeks.  I enjoyed it quite a bit.  But only if there was nothing else on/better to do.  I'm not even a college basketball fan, but I still chose to watch the tournament over AAF last weekend.

Unfortunately, without the NFL's direct involvement, it looks like any kind of real development league is a pipe dream.

1 minute ago, BillsFan4 said:

I wonder if Manziel will regret burning those bridges in the CFL now... 

I'm not sure Manziel knows what it means to regret anything.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Dont understand the NFL 's insistence on NOT having a minor league. Are they that greedy that they dont want to support a developmental league ??

Why should they support it? The real players have ALWAYS come straight from the college ranks. The NFL has no reason to throw away money on trying to find a handful of players to play special teams. This league would be a complete waste of money for them. 

Additionally, no player worth $.10 is going to risk injury for $80K a year. Even a minor injury could knock these guys out of an NFL opportunity and 5-10X the money. There has never been and will never be a successful minor league for football. You will have college football on Saturdays and the NFL on Sundays. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I've watched at least 75% of the games. I like it.

I have yet to see a game and don’t even know when they play. I guess my priorities are not aligned properly.

58 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Dont understand the NFL 's insistence on NOT having a minor league. Are they that greedy that they dont want to support a developmental league ??

Why would they. They have a HUGE FREE developmental league in the NCAA 

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I don't see why anyone who likes football wouldn't watch these games. 

The power of fandom is strong, though. For most people it's about having a reason to be a fan more than it is about a true interest in the sport.

I guess I haven’t found that reason.

4 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Have Season Tickets to Orlando and Watch them.  

Also watch the games on TV when I get a chance, it is a decent product for Spring Football

I am going to have to take your word on it. I just haven’t been able to make space for them in my crowded world. 

7 minutes ago, iinii said:

I guess I haven’t found that reason.

I am going to have to take your word on it. I just haven’t been able to make space for them in my crowded world. 

It is Spring football. I am not a baseball fan. And Sabres done in December. So I watched. Will watch the XFL as well because again Not a baseball guy. 

Just now, MAJBobby said:

It is Spring football. I am not a baseball fan. And Sabres done in December. So I watched. Will watch the XFL as well because again Not a baseball guy. 

Good for you. I barely have time for the NFL. Such is life...I guess

If either of these development leagues WANT to succeed. Allow players right out of High School. If you force them to abide by the NFL rules of Three Years removed they go against the NFL and NFLPA. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, iinii said:

Has anyone seen a game?

I've watched a few.  Some things I like.  Honestly though you can't even remotely imagine how morbidly bad passing in this League is.  It makes the games I've watched so monotonous.  It's not that you won't occasional nice pass play, but the savings grace of this League was hopefully going to be an entertaining passing game going into the Spring.

Garrett Gilbert (Gale's son) is far and away the League leader in passing on the Number 1 team in the League and he has 269 yards per game.  He is one of only two QBs with a 200 yards per game average, and one of only the same two that have double digit touchdowns.

In 32 games in the 2019 season there have been 64 touchdowns thrown.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

16 minutes ago, iinii said:

I have yet to see a game and don’t even know when they play. I guess my priorities are not aligned properly.

Assuming they make it past this weekend, all their games are at the same time each weekend. Sat 4pm TNT, Sat 8pm NFLN, Sun 4pm CBSSN, Sun 8pm NFLN.

I always thought they should’ve created a made for TV league in which all the games are played on a sound stage. Get rid of all the costs associated with a stadium, parking, security , game day staff, etc

Heck they could simply photoshop in the crowd and the noise like in Madden.

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

I always thought they should’ve created a made for TV league in which all the games are played on a sound stage. Get rid of all the costs associated with a stadium, parking, security , game day staff, etc

Heck they could simply photoshop in the crowd and the noise like in Madden.

Wait a minute.  Madden crowds are fake?  I mean the Atlanta Hawks I can see but Madden?

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Assuming they make it past this weekend, all their games are at the same time each weekend. Sat 4pm TNT, Sat 8pm NFLN, Sun 4pm CBSSN, Sun 8pm NFLN.

That is the real problem. I don’t have any of those channels. Thanks for the heads up though.

36 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

If either of these development leagues WANT to succeed. Allow players right out of High School. If you force them to abide by the NFL rules of Three Years removed they go against the NFL and NFLPA. 

There's already a wildly popular league for players right out of high school that is incredibly successful.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....pony up $250 mil and suspend operations 10 days later?...did Madoff get out?...........

Well, he’s about $70m in , not the $250m he pledged. Speculation was he wanted the gambling app technology they were building, and wanted it now,  was willing to pay the $70M to get it

20 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

There's already a wildly popular league for players right out of high school that is incredibly successful.

Which will have a Talent Drain when a startup league actually Compensates the players. 

13 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Which will have a Talent Drain when a startup league actually Compensates the players. 

Sure it will.  Just like NCAA men’s basketball with the G league right?  Never happen

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Sure it will.  Just like NCAA men’s basketball with the G league right?  Never happen

Different Sports.  

Not as much players on a Basketball court.

So a top flight NO 1 HS football recruit let say gets offered 1M a year to play in XFL while he waits for his three years removed from HS stuff.  HMMMM yeah they will go get that money.  Now lets say this new league has 10 teams to start and has a roster size of 53.  That is 530 PAID slots.  Now start looking at the top 100 HS Football recruits, say 30% jump to paid league year one (and grows).  Yeah that is a hell of a talent drop for the play for Free NCAA.  Dont transfer and dont sneeze you might get a NCAA Violation league

Edited by MAJBobby

43 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Well, he’s about $70m in , not the $250m he pledged. Speculation was he wanted the gambling app technology they were building, and wanted it now,  was willing to pay the $70M to get it

Gugny is giving me shitz for using your quote in the SB. Sorry. But heres a link about about the gambling,   https://sportsnaut.com/2019/04/did-tom-dundon-buy-into-aaf-just-for-gambling-app/

• Haha (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

He's pulling out what wasn't spent.

...hope so....but it's still mind boggling to have ponied up $250 mil and suspend operations 10 days later....had to be one helluva business plan.....and why not pull it apart in detail BEFORE the $250 mil....guessed I missed the memo.......