REPORT: Steelers trading Antonio Brown to Bills! - Per Ian Rapoport (Hold up....maybe, maybe not....) EDIT: DEAL NOT HAPPENING PER BRANDON BEANE - UPDATE: Traded to Raiders

sven233

12 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

He did say on this IG account "Fake News."  Not far fetched that AB said screw Buffalo.  He doesn't have to sign anywhere else since he has an existing contract with the Steelers this year.

He doesn't have to sign a new contract anywhere else, but he can retire if he doesn't like his trade, and refuse to play out the old one.
Course, he does that and the Stillers can file for repayment of his 3 years amortized signing bonus, which would be $21.1M. 

You good on life, after those $$ go back, AB?

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He doesn't have to sign a new contract anywhere else, but he can retire if he doesn't like his trade, and refuse to play out the old one.
Course, he does that and the Stillers can file for repayment of his 3 years amortized signing bonus, which would be $21.1M. 

Where did you see $21.1M?  I saw $11.4M.

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Any team that trades for him knows in advance that they will have to redo his contract. I'm sure AB's representation is going to make it known what his contract expectations are. You are right that AB is under contract and his current team and prospective team has leverage over him from a contract standpoint. But why would any team bring him on board and subject themselves to a contract battle and a sidelined player unless the new and richer contract was agreed to?

It appears that the Steelers want to deal him even though they won't get equal value back. There is no question that the Steelers have the legal leverage. But as seen with the Bell saga I'm sure they would rather deal him and get what they can get and avoid the lingering controversy. If a team such as the Raiders trades for him they  will have the contract issue worked out before a deal is transacted.

I'm glad that the Bills walked away from the deal when AB made it clear he wasn't interested. If the Bills would have made the deal even without AB's consent because he had no control over the trade it would have been a fiasco. AB is a great player; AB is not worth the predictable ensuing drama.  

1 hour ago, DBilz2500 said:

Just heard Report is out there sayin the bills and Steelers still trying to work out a trade. Stay tuned...

It wouldn't surprise me in the least.  Once the initial shock waves are over with and the smoke has settled perhaps AB will come to his senses.  Top 3 D, HC that gets its, and the next poster boy of the NFL who he needs a go to guy.

Buffalo by far is the best case scenario for Antonio Brown to be in.

Time to shuffle off to Buffalo AB...

...get er done beane man...

Edited by Figster

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

19 yards and a bench ???

Bums gonna Bum.  

Josh Allen’s 7th year won’t look anything like this ???

19 yards and an injury.

He still played terrible though.

2 minutes ago, Figster said:

It wouldn't surprise me in the least.  Once the initial shock waves are over with and the smoke has settled perhaps AB will come to his senses. 

Buffalo by far is the best case scenario for Antonio Brown to be in.

Time to shuffle off to Buffalo AB...

...get er done beane man...

Better than New Orleans or Green Bay? Really?

16 minutes ago, cle23 said:

19 yards and an injury.

He still played terrible though.

Better than New Orleans or Green Bay? Really?

Packers and Saints? Really?

I think they may have to show some interest 1st...

18 minutes ago, Figster said:

Packers and Saints? Really?

I think they may have to show some interest 1st...

They were both reported to have interest. Then reported to have dropped out. The same as Buffalo.

2 hours ago, DBilz2500 said:

Just heard Report is out there sayin the bills and Steelers still trying to work out a trade. Stay tuned...

Beane says the Bills have moved on.  If anyone is still trying to make the deal with Buffalo work, it’s the Steelers.  

Oakland/Las Vegas must not be offering as much as Beane did...

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/Antonio-Brown-thinks-that-he-will-be-traded-to-Raiders-129859270/

10 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

we just need to start winning. 

Correct.

In the 1990's a free agent signing with Buffalo was seen as a good career move.

But 20 years without a contending team is an epic level of awful.........that's what is driving the shaming.

People shouldn't take it personal it's more about the failure of the privately owned pro football team in town............if the teams in towns like Pitt or GB were this awful for so long they would be treated the same way.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Doc said:

That's just spin.  He rejected them.

Does he have a no trade clause? He can refuse to play for any team he wants, but if he's traded by the team that own his rights, he either plays or retires. That simple really

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

That's just spin.  He rejected them.

Buffalo or the others? Because I've seen zilch about him rejecting Green Bay or New Orleans.

Why would he turn down HoF QBs, especially Rodgers who will be around several more years?

Just now, cle23 said:

Buffalo or the others? Because I've seen zilch about him rejecting Green Bay or New Orleans.

Why would he turn down HoF QBs, especially Rodgers who will be around several more years?

All of them.  He didn't go there so he must have rejected them. 

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Correct.

In the 1990's a free agent signing with Buffalo was seen as a good career move.

But 20 years without a contending team is an epic level of awful.........that's what is driving the shaming.

People shouldn't take it personal it's more about the failure of the privately owned pro football team in town............if the teams in towns like Pitt or GB were this awful for so long they would be treated the same way.

The SB Bills were before UFA started.  The late 90's Bills didn't have many top FA's.  Then, like now, the Bills had to spend money to get players to come.

4 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Or they wouldn't offer a higher trade package.

Or...maybe despite them having HOF QB's, AB still wanted to be the highest-paid WR and they said "no"?

46 minutes ago, cle23 said:

They were both reported to have interest. Then reported to have dropped out. The same as Buffalo.

Myself personally, I don't feel like Beane's comments indicated a loss of interest and in negotiations that should have kept private words can help disguise Beane's true intentions IMO. 

Despite AB's initial reaction, I think he would come to terms with it, 

eventually...

Edited by Figster

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

Or...maybe despite them having HOF QB's, AB still wanted to be the highest-paid WR and they said "no"?

Sure. That's possible. That wouldn't be him rejecting them though. I'm not sure what your arguement is. 

My original comment was about Buffalo being the best fit for Brown, which is simply false. It may be what happens, but no WR is taking Allen over Rodgers or Brees.

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

The SB Bills were before UFA started.  The late 90's Bills didn't have many top FA's.  Then, like now, the Bills had to spend money to get players to come.

Best Bills free agent class by A LOT was the Paup/Washington/Jeffcoat haul after the 1994 season.   Paup in particular was a top of class free agent coming off a Pro Bowl year.

Next offseason was also big.......... Quinn Early was the prize WR in FA and he signed with Buffalo and Chris Spielman was another huge signing that offseason.   

Joe Panos was another pricey signing after the 1997 season.

The Bills were plenty aggressive in free agency in the 1990's and there were no Star Lotulelei-like over-market overpays because players weren't sacrificing individual or team success when coming to Buffalo.

And never once was it uttered "oh man why would he want to go to Buffalo?" in the media because the Bills were the winningest team in the NFL in the 1990's.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Sure. That's possible. That wouldn't be him rejecting them though. I'm not sure what your arguement is. 

My original comment was about Buffalo being the best fit for Brown, which is simply false. It may be what happens, but no WR is taking Allen over Rodgers or Brees.

Yeah, in that case it would be the Bills rejecting AB.  Meaning it’s all about the money. 

And if he’s looking for the best fit, he should be wanting to go to a team with a Hall of Fame quarterback, even if it is for less than top money.

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Best Bills free agent class by A LOT was the Paup/Washington/Jeffcoat haul after the 1994 season.   Paup in particular was a top of class free agent coming off a Pro Bowl year.

Next offseason was also big.......... Quinn Early was the prize WR in FA and he signed with Buffalo and Chris Spielman was another huge signing that offseason.   

The Bills were plenty aggressive in free agency in the 1990's and there were no Star Lotulelei-like over-market overpays because players weren't sacrificing individual or team success when coming to Buffalo.

And never once was it uttered "oh man why would he want to go to Buffalo?" in the media because the Bills were the winningest team in the NFL in the 1990's.

Some of our best players of recent years have been FA's as well.  Poyer, Hyde, LoRax, Incognito, and even Mario.  Not wanting to come to Buffalo is overplayed, even now.  There are only so many NFL jobs, and only so much cap room.

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That was also way before the advent of social media, and especially Twitter. There were many players who wouldn’t play in Buffalo unless top dollar was offered, and those guys you mentioned we’re all at or near the highest paid at their positions at the time of their signing. 

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

As cool as it would have been seeing Allen throw bombs to Brown, I must say this: 

Giving $20M per year to a 31-year-old head case diva WR is EXACTLY how you start back down the road to cap jail.

Oh, and one more thing: for a team and coach that so often use bulletin board material as motivation and thrive when they feel like they're being disrespected, this whole episode should provide some nice fodder.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, DBilz2500 said:

Where exactly did you hear this report?  Nothing even on twitter about it and you posted this 12 hours ago.  If there was a report on it, seems more would be talking about it given the drama on Thursday.

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Where exactly did you hear this report?  Nothing even on twitter about it and you posted this 12 hours ago.  If there was a report on it, seems more would be talking about it given the drama on Thursday.

I haven't seen anything to suggest this either....last update on AB was early in the afternoon ….hours ago                        

17 minutes ago, Magnum Force said:

I haven't seen anything to suggest this either....last update on AB was early in the afternoon ….hours ago                        

Yes!!!!! BUT did you see anything saying it ISN'T? 

1 hour ago, Logic said:

As cool as it would have been seeing Allen throw bombs to Brown, I must say this: 

Giving $20M per year to a 31-year-old head case diva WR is EXACTLY how you start back down the road to cap jail.

Oh, and one more thing: for a team and coach that so often use bulletin board material as motivation and thrive when they feel like they're being disrespected, this whole episode should provide some nice fodder.

That makes me think Beane pulled out of the deal after trying to negotiate a contract with AB.

• Like (+1) 1