[Vague Title] What’s going on in Cleveland? Trade Rumors

21 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Milton, I feel the same way.  I am not a fan, but feel for those in Cleveland.  I know though they haven’t won a championship since 1964, and three more time in the 50’s.  They were making headway under Belicheck, until they fired him and moved to Baltimore.  I’ve been to Cleveland a few times, and never heard any fans hate anyone more than Modell.  They forget he was begging the city and the state to help him with a new stadium, so Baltimore ponied up.  I just feel they have been in hell even longer than us.

It’s nice to see different teams who have been bad for a long time turn themselves around.  If this trade is true, Mayfield will have a heck of a Target with OBJ.  I still want us to beat the pants off them every three years or more.

Couple points of clarification from someone who lived through all of that.  Minor point - Belichick wasn’t fired until after the move.  Major point - Cleveland was negotiating with Modell on a new stadium, but he had already found a sweeter deal with Baltimore.  They weren’t going to let him use them as leverage so he kept the deal quiet and simply rejected everything Cleveland offered him. His criticism of the plot next to Jacob’s Field was that not was “too loud”.  Notably the deal he got was very similar to the expansion team deal Baltimore offered the NFL.  A deal he helped kill.  Cleveland could have been more proactive, but they were out of it before it started. 

6 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Jalen Ramsey > OBJ 

Younger

Better player

More important position

The Browns are probably a Top 10 offense next year without OBJ. Getting Ramsey turns their Defense into one of the best units in the league giving them three franchise players on that side of the ball.

Wait, is there a rumor they're in on Ramsey? Or that Ramsey is available? 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

There's been some rumors. Not sure how valid they are to be honest.

The Browns and Jags have been in discussions.  I’m sure the Browns would love Ramsey, but I doubt he’s available. Malik Jackson makes a lot more sense.  Jags need to clear cap space for Foles,  draft picks, etc. 

Edited by BarleyNY

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A better title will help the community find information faster and make your topic more likely to be read. The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

15 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The Three Divas... Mayfield, Landry, and ODB in the same locker room?   Get me some pop corn!  This is gonna get ugly in a hurry!!!

They're also very talented players....I don't think Bills fans have too much of a right to make fun of other organizations considering our history

I don't blame the Browns for trading for a proven playmaker at WR. I think the top 7 or 8 WR's in this draft should be 2nd rd picks. I think the biggest gambles in the draft are the QB and WR positions. College football does no favors to scouts evaluating those two positions.

4 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Couple points of clarification from someone who lived through all of that.  Minor point - Belichick wasn’t fired until after the move.  Major point - Cleveland was negotiating with Modell on a new stadium, but he had already found a sweeter deal with Baltimore.  They weren’t going to let him use them as leverage so he kept the deal quiet and simply rejected everything Cleveland offered him. His criticism of the plot next to Jacob’s Field was that not was “too loud”.  Notably the deal he got was very similar to the expansion team deal Baltimore offered the NFL.  A deal he helped kill.  Cleveland could have been more proactive, but they were out of it before it started. 

Barley- You’re closer to this than me, but apppreciate the insight.

15 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Barley- You’re closer to this than me, but apppreciate the insight.

Thanks.  Not a problem.  Not a lot of people outside of Clevelandera/Browns fans know the whole story - and even some of them don’t.  I will say this though - after building the new baseball park and arena the city did drag its feet on a new NFL stadium for Modell. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Thanks.  Not a problem.  Not a lot of people outside of Clevelandera/Browns fans know the whole story - and even some of them don’t.  I will say this though - after building the new baseball park and arena the city did drag its feet on a new NFL stadium for Modell. 

http://blog.cleveland.com/pdextra/2012/09/how_cleveland_lost_the_browns.html

Modell was ignored for years by the city, even when the Gateway complex (Cavs/Indians) was being planned he was being ignored.  None of the city leadership thought he'd actually consider moving the team. 

The best was when Mayor Mike White acted all surprised and outraged after ignoring Modell for so long.

But Art was a lousy businessman too and Baltimore's deal bailed him out of financial problems in Cleveland.

On one level I don't blame Modell for moving the team because, at the time, City government was the quintessential definition of red tape but it was very much a d#ck thing he did.

I personally wouldn't mind watching the Browns continue being a dumpster fire of an organization.

In this wacky, bizzaro world that we live in, it's good to have some things remain the same. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

Maybe this was about the release of Jamie Collins? As quite interesting move as he's a pretty good player. I just hope he doesn't go back to New England on the cheap.

The Collins release was about clearing cap space for other moves. He was expensive for the uneven performance he was giving. 

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

The Collins release was about clearing cap space for other moves. He was expensive for the uneven performance he was giving. 

If it is for OBJ I question what they doing as to me you want to build a better defense when you have the Steelers in your division. 

5 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

If it is for OBJ I question what they doing as to me you want to build a better defense when you have the Steelers in your division. 

That’s not the only deal they’re trying to make. I’m not sure how far along they are with any of them though.  Of course they could have deals in place with free agents too

Edited by BarleyNY

On 3/6/2019 at 1:40 PM, 2018 Our Year For Sure said:

Good for Odell getting to a QB who can get him the ball. That dude will be thrilled if this is true

I bet you have never thought you would ever type that sentence as it pertains to the Browns.

Seems like a pretty smart trade for both sides really. Zeitler and Will Hernandez (and Solder if god forbid he gets it back together) is a pretty solid nucleus for what has been a terrible OLine in the past.