Sean McDermott’s Current Approval Rating

Sean McDermott’s Current Approval Rating  

366 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Approve Sean McDermott As Bills HC?

• Yes, I approve
    • No, I don’t approve

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

This team progressed as the season went on.

McD admitted KB was a mistake by cutting him.

He benched Clay late in the season/ healthy scratch. 

I watched an Offense that was capable of working if stocked with capable linemen and receivers.

He didn’t lose this team during the rough stretches.

He still has things to learn as a coach but he’s on s learning curve too.

Unless there is some crazy lockeroom revolt and he completely loses this team next season, I want him to have a minimum of 2 more years.

This is pretty much where I am.  As long as the team doesnt bolt on him, which I have a hard time believing will happen I dont see how we dont progress from this past year.

I want to see how they build around Allen.  I think with a good draft and a couple FA's we are in the hunt. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

We're a few pieces from realistically being legit contenders.

I feel McD and Beane both had the same vision and blueprint on how to build a long term , sustainable , winning team. They took their time , took on the dead money , lowest active roster this year, basicallysacrificed the last two years to be in this current position. 90 mil in cap , while losing no major FA, besides a 35 year old Kyle and Lorax, who we can re sign for a very reasonable contract. 

McDermott is a natural HC and gets so much out of his players imo. Think he'll be here a long time. I think 2019 could be the start of something special for the Bills . 

For all of the negatives about the players here, this was a referendum on McDermott, NOT Bean. 

Also, some of this issues that have been brought up, to me, are simply part of having one of the youngest teams in the league. 

When judging, I believe it’s critical to look at the complete picture as opposed to cherry picking issues to support your own feelings. 

He’s an above average coach and leader of men. Yes for me. 

56 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Yeah you ever see a presidential approval rating?  There’s two options.  Not doing a 3rd

I don't give a ***** about presidents.  Talking about a coach of a team. Not exactly the same job title. 

I wouldn't fire him but so far he is nothing special and has made more errors than good judgements.

Starting Peterman at San Diego and again in 2018 is a joke.

But I have decided that I'm giving Beane and McD a clean slate. I dont buy this salary cap story one bit. It was a crisis made by Beane. But i am moving on and just judging individual decisions made in the future. 

4 hours ago, crabby116 said:

I only have a few complaints the main one being McBean's handling of the quarterback position behind Josh.

However Im the tard that wanted Rosen not Allen when the pick was made so screw me.

I believe the question was JUST about Coach McDermott. 

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I voted yes.   But I'm still not feeling like I want him to be the Bills HC for the next decade, plus.  That's how I want to feel and hopefully where I get.

Curious.  Would that take:

1) Better record w-l 

2) less blowout losses and more dominating wins? 

1 hour ago, fansince88 said:

Curious.  Would that take:

1) Better record w-l 

2) less blowout losses and more dominating wins? 

Better in-game coaching/decisions.  Better personnel management.  But, again, I'm happy with him.  Just not "sold" yet.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, H2o said:

I approve of the job McDermott has done. It's clear that the guys who are here have bought in to what he's selling. He took an average team and coached them to the playoffs in his first year on the job. Now he's working toward helping the young team grow up into consistent contenders. 

He also brought in... 

Vontae

Benjamin...

They've definitely brought in guys who like those above, didn't buy in, and others who didn't perform.

They've also hit on a lot of the secondary additions.

My approval rating would be right at 50%. I don't approve or disapprove yet. He's pretty average to this point. Has done some great work, but also been pretty bad in some areas.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

Re-Build and re-load doesn't take 5 freaking years if you know what you're doing.

McDummy doesn't have clue 1 on how to pull this off... Him and Beane will continue to swing and miss in free agency, as well as overdraft.

Next year this time we'll probably be here having a similar discussion.

10 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Dickball 2.0

McDermott is a very traditional, conservative, "football guy" kind of HC.

His in game tactics are terrible, and his penalty challenges have been atrocious.  He makes lots of in-game mistakes. 

He's not what this league is going to be in a few years.  He's the past.

On the plus side, he seems to be a good motivator and he seemingly gets his players to show up and play hard, consistently.  And that's a big part of a HC's job in the NFL.

So he is not all good or all bad; in the end, he is easily replaced with equal or better quality IMO.

I voted "don't approve" b/c I really don't like him as a HC, but I would have preferred a third voting option: "Meh" as in, I can take him or leave him right now.

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, The Wiz said:

The only point I would argue is that McD is not responsible for signing players which you claim is the biggest issue.  He cut AJ and is on Beane to get another player in there which he admitted he took too long to get. 

Can't or won't argue with most of the others you said. Some is hindsight but others are right on. 

I did mention McBeane mishandled the QB position. But it was McDermott & his coaching staff that decided to cut McCarron. McDermott love for Peterman probably kept Beane from making the move though... I mean, that's just speculation, but we as fans have to look at the facts & fill in the gaps on our own. 

Beane probably had Anderson on speed dial, but who's to say McDermott didn't block it or & Beane was ok with backing his buddy's decision??? It's not like McDermott is perfect at making these kind of decisions. 

It's a good argument to have...& I think we all can agree we're glad they finally figured it out. But McDermott has power in that building, trust and believe...that was his call & Beane went along for the ride even if he was against the trip in the 1st place, Beane still gassed the car up & jumped in the passenger seat with an attitude ?

9 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I do not want McD fired. Or Beane, for that matter.

BUT

I just don't see how this season was anything other than woefully mismanaged.

Looking back at the evolution of how Allen's development, and the plan surrounding him changed, nothing they did made much sense. He was drafted as a "raw talent" who would need time to sit, and learn. The most common consensus on him on draft night was that he was the least NFL ready of the top prospects. And so, he was put into a three-way QB competition (which he lost) with the likes of AJ McCarron, and Late Nate Peterman. 

And, somehow, it was decided that Late Nate would be the starter? With Allen as his backup? And, why should we need anything even remotely resembling a vet presence? What the hell was that???  

Then, after the inevitable happened (Nate crapped the bed), Allen gets thrown in with: the worst receiving corp, and the fourth worst O-line in the league. Are there two units more important to a QB's development than those? NOPEOf course Allen got injured. Ignoring the O-line, and receiving corps was utterly irresponsible under the circumstances.

It was a month into the regular season that they signed a vet mentor, and reasonable QB alternative. 

No matter how you slice it. Whatever one's theory on McD's philosophy going into the season-- whether it was a "win now," a rebuild, a purely developmental year for Allen, or even a straight up tank-- the mismanagement of this team, and of Allen in particular, was egregious. 

The part I under line, is my biggest thing about Allen...people on this board refuse to believe nobody really wanted Allen during pre draft evaluations. 

He's won me over, I will admit... but it's that anyone can argue that he was a highly touted prospect coming into the draft. See I don't fake my feelings & if I'm wrong I will admit it...

There's literally a YouTube videos of Fans pissed off with the Allen pick! Check it out cause I was one of them ???

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Scorp83 said:

He traded away our 11th pick to the Chiefs...instead of just taking Mahomes or Watson..

Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing? If the league knew what Mahomes or Watson would become they would have been long gone at the pick

You can't have hindsight both ways.

3 hours ago, #34fan said:

as well as overdraft.

Are you serious or just on wind up?

I can't vote because my choice isn't there, it would probably work better as percentages. At the moment I'm a bit indifferent to the job he's done. He's made some good decision and guys seem to buy into what he's doing, thus far. Saying that, he's made some really poor decisions and his in game management leaves a little to be desired. This next offseason and season is where we learn if it really is working. They need to improve next season. Players need to show progress.

On a side note, for all those who say McBeane had to tear it down would the team be any worse off if instead of tearing the team down McBeane had a plan like this:  Sign Gilmore. Draft Mahomes(he still sits for a year). Every other draft pick goes the same. Pick up Sammys 5th year option(look I get he's under preformed but he would be no worse of an option than Benjamin was and he would be the speed they were looking for at the end of this season). Keep Cordy Glenn and move Dawkins to LG. They can still do every other move they did after that, if they wanted to. Then the 2018 draft they could have stayed put and picked up someone like Ridley and probably still drafted Edmunds and everyone else they wanted too. Maybe they pick up a OL earlier in the draft.

I just think a better plan, long term, is to get your QB then build around him not wait for that QB to come to you. I think McDermott misjudged the talent of the roster and thought they were going to be bad but was surprised when they were able to push for the playoffs last season.

Anyways, the tear down is done, that's the easy job. Now can they build it up, that's where I'll judge them.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Bills Wilk said:

Hey the other two AFC east teams fired their coach besides of course Belacheat so that should say something . Even though I'm surprised Miami firing Gase

I'm not.

They are on that same stupid wash rinse repeat cycle the Bills were on.

If Pegs told the truth the Bills are officially off that merry go round and this regime gets all the time they need.

If things aren't fixed after 5 years well............... 

Edited by JMF2006

42 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I can't vote because my choice isn't there, it would probably work better as percentages. At the moment I'm a bit indifferent to the job he's done. He's made some good decision and guys seem to buy into what he's doing, thus far. Saying that, he's made some really poor decisions and his in game management leaves a little to be desired. This next offseason and season is where we learn if it really is working. They need to improve next season. Players need to show progress.

On a side note, for all those who say McBeane had to tear it down would the team be any worse off if instead of tearing the team down McBeane had a plan like this:  Sign Gilmore. Draft Mahomes(he still sits for a year). Every other draft pick goes the same. Pick up Sammys 5th year option(look I get he's under preformed but he would be no worse of an option than Benjamin was and he would be the speed they were looking for at the end of this season). Keep Cordy Glenn and move Dawkins to LG. They can still do every other move they did after that, if they wanted to. Then the 2018 draft they could have stayed put and picked up someone like Ridley and probably still drafted Edmunds and everyone else they wanted too. Maybe they pick up a OL earlier in the draft.

I just think a better plan, long term, is to get your QB then build around him not wait for that QB to come to you. I think McDermott misjudged the talent of the roster and thought they were going to be bad but was surprised when they were able to push for the playoffs last season.

Anyways, the tear down is done, that's the easy job. Now can they build it up, that's where I'll judge them.

Yeah but this is all hindsight....you can essentially play fantasy GM with anyone.  That’s like saying “Buddy Nix should have drafted Russell Wilson” or “John Butler should have drafted Tom Brady instead of Eric Flowers in 2000.”  

At the time, most weren’t screaming to break the bank to resign Gilmore, or to draft Mahomes, also most didn’t care about keeping Cordy who was often injured.  

Wrong to hold this against him, when it wasn’t entirely the obvious thing to do.  

39 minutes ago, Pbomb said:

213-20 is pretty one sided. Seems like a lot of mcd hate though, I guess the ones that don’t approve must be pretty vocal

92% Is clearly decisive.  

27 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Yeah but this is all hindsight....you can essentially play fantasy GM with anyone.  That’s like saying “Buddy Nix should have drafted Russell Wilson” or “John Butler should have drafted Tom Brady instead of Eric Flowers in 2000.”  

At the time, most weren’t screaming to break the bank to resign Gilmore, or to draft Mahomes, also most didn’t care about keeping Cordy who was often injured.  

Wrong to hold this against him, when it wasn’t entirely the obvious thing to do.  

Except I’m not playing fantasy GM, I’m asking if the team would be any better or worse off if that was the plan. This isn’t about misjudging talent, a la Wilson or Brady and missing out. This is about a philiopshical difference in how a team is built. McDermott thought it more important to draft the cornerstone of his secondary and build the defense first. That can not even be argued based on the moves he’s made. I can guarantee you their were coaches or GMs available who would have had the Bills stay put and draft either Mahomes or Watson with the state of the Bills QB room. Hell the Chiefs with a QB in place, Alex Smith, are the team that moved up to get Mahomes!

I’m sorry but you can hold it against him. And he will forever be judged by that decision if things don’t work out. Nix was certainly judged by his inability to find a QB and build the team first and pass on a QB like Wilson.

And I’m sorry but you are playing the hindsight game that “most didn’t care.” Actually some fans did care and wanted those moves to be made. Glenn wasn’t oft injured. He missed 8 games prior to the 2017 season. In that same stretch another Bill missed 11 games, would you say he was oft injured? That player was Kyle Williams.

Edited by Wayne Cubed
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Except I’m not playing fantasy GM, I’m asking if the team would be any better or worse off if that was the plan. This isn’t about misjudging talent, a la Wilson or Brady and missing out. This is about a philiopshical difference in how a team is built. McDermott thought it more important to draft the cornerstone of his secondary and build the defense first. That can not even be argued based on the moves he’s made. I can guarantee you their were coaches or GMs available who would have had the Bills stay put and draft either Mahomes or Watson with the state of the Bills QB room. Hell the Chiefs with a QB in place, Alex Smith, are the team that moved up to get Mahomes!

I’m sorry but you can hold it against him. And he will forever be judged by that decision if things don’t work out. Nix was certainly judged by his inability to find a QB and build the team first and pass on a QB like Wilson.

And I’m sorry but you are playing the hindsight game that “most didn’t care.” Actually some fans did care and wanted those moves to be made. Glenn wasn’t oft injured. He missed 8 games prior to the 2017 season. In that same stretch another Bill missed 11 games, would you say he was oft injured? That player was Kyle Williams.

Great hindsight!

16 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Well it’s 2 seasons down and I’m curious to know your thoughts on Sean McDermott as Bills HC.  I remember that McDermott’s approval rating was sky high after making their first playoff appearance in 17 years.

But after a 6-10 year do you still trust the process?  There has been some very negative comments about McDermott by members in this forums.  

So let’s see Sean’s Approval rating as of now.

Trust the Process?   Now more than ever.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

He also brought in... 

Vontae

Benjamin...

They've definitely brought in guys who like those above, didn't buy in, and others who didn't perform.

True, which is why "the guys who are here" my friend. :thumbsup: No, they have not hit the ball out of the park with every move. No team has. I do believe McDermott is the man for the job in Buffalo and has proven that in different ways over the last two seasons. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Well it’s 2 seasons down and I’m curious to know your thoughts on Sean McDermott as Bills HC.  I remember that McDermott’s approval rating was sky high after making their first playoff appearance in 17 years.

But after a 6-10 year do you still trust the process?  There has been some very negative comments about McDermott by members in this forums.  

So let’s see Sean’s Approval rating as of now.

I dont understand the shock of some posters at our 6-10 record.  McBeane stated that there would be a step back.

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

True, which is why "the guys who are here" my friend. :thumbsup: No, they have not hit the ball out of the park with every move. No team has. I do believe McDermott is the man for the job in Buffalo and has proven that in different ways over the last two seasons. 

Maybe but neither of those guys were very high risk and they didn’t exactly break bank to bring them to Buffalo.  So far Beane has more hits than misses and more than Whaley or Nix. 

Vontae was a player they hopes could give them good play for a year (or two at best) while they developed younger players at the position.   He was not great but has he stayed, I think he could have done that for a year.  He will forever be known as “the guy who quit at halftime” than he will be remembered for his accolades.  He basically s*** on his NFL career.  

In terms of Benjamin, I think the second kneee injury really did him in.  In Carolina he was off to another decent season for a #2 WR (60+ catches for close to 900-1,000 yards).  After the second knee injury that he played through he just wasn’t the same.  Then the drops started which I can explain.

You forget though - Beane was trying to end the 17 year playoff drought!  And he did.  How quick Bills fans forget.   There’s no guarantee the same thing happens if they don’t trade.

Either wat he trade a 3rd round pick.   He no doubt didn’t get the better if the deal, but you can hardly blame him.  

14 hours ago, Scorp83 said:

I voted No approval...

-The Love for Nathan Peterman is almost sickening.

-He doesn't answer any questions with Answers.... just gives us a bunch of words smh.

-Even though the team last year wasn't that good... had a shot to win a big game against the Chargers, & he bench Tyrod for Peterman. That game cost us to cross our fingers, for Andy Dalton miracle to Tyler Boyd 

-He traded away our 11th pick to the Chiefs...instead of just taking Mahomes or Watson.

- Choosing to RIP apart the roster was a little unnecessary, could have kept some of our players for 2018 if he would have just drafted Mahomes or Watson in 2017. 

- Not having a plan for our rookie QB after drafted... no O-Line, No WR's, Running game was effected because of some of the unnecessary moves. 

- The biggest one of all... Is realizing as a coaching staff McCarron wasn't going to make this roster, cuts him. Then announces Peterman as his week 1 starter, & doesn't replace a veteran presence to help both Josh & Peterman out. Those 2 pretty much had to bounce ideas & screw ups off each other before Anderson was signed. Then it took a 3rd or 4th time (I can't remember cause it just shouldn't have been that many times!!!) Of starting Peterman to realize "this kid just doesn't have the juice" to get rid of him. WOW! We were literally a joke for half the season because of the way McBeane mishandled the QB position. 

There's ways to get a QB, McDermott's way was just a little unnecessary. But I'm still in the middle. I don't like his clock management but like Allen... I think it will get better. So I don't want to ding him for that too much. I do like his core values but that doesn't mean he's a winner. Like how he gets fired up for the plays when we're struggling as a team. His heart is in the right place but so was Dick Jauron's heart. 

'

I had voted YES, w/ some reservations that I noted, but most of this is also a good argument for NO vote.  

I would love to see our reporters, perhaps at the Athletic (?) do an in-depth article on the draft strategy from 2017 regarding the trade-out and why either of these QBs were not selected.  While Josh is turning out pretty positive there are several other supporting pics that were dealt away to trade up for him.  I've never seen a good insider article explaining the thinking in 2017.  Beane hadn't been hired yet, McDermott had only been on for a short time and Whaley was on his way out the door.

Edited by cage

5 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

Seems pointless to me to have this poll at this time. Next season will define McD and Beane’s tenure, IMO. 

Its not pointless....it McDermott’s Approval rating after year two.   Happens all the time on sports or politics 

1 minute ago, cage said:

'

I had voted YES, w/ some reservations, but most of this is also a good argument for NO vote.  

I would love to see our reporters, perhaps at the Athletic (?) do an in-depth article on the draft strategy from 2017 regarding the trade-out and why either of these QBs were not selected.  While Josh is turning out pretty positive there are several other supporting pics that were dealt away to trade up for him.  I've never seen a good insider article explaining the thinking in 2017.  Beane hadn't been hired yet, McDermott had only been on for a short time and Whaley was on his way out the door.

Funny that neither of you mention his biggest accomplishment.

How is that 2 decade long Buffalo Bills playoff drought that tarnished the brand doing?

You dont really trade down to get the player you covet.

32 teams passed on Wilson twice.  I wanted him in the 1st.

Kyle missed all of that at one time didnt he.  

By the way Cordy Glenn was rated by Pro Football Focus at 60.9

Dion Dawkins scores 69.2

Jordan Mills scores 56.1

You can definitely argue that the trade was a good move

1 minute ago, formerlyofCtown said:

You dont really trade down to get the player you covet.

32 teams passed on Wilson twice.  I wanted him in the 1st.

Kyle missed all of that at one time didnt he.  

Um sure you do, are you saying the Bills didn’t covet Tre?

And Glenn missed 3 his rookie season and 5 because of the Kidney in 2016. He started all 16 games for 3 straight season. His first injury plagued season was 2017. Prior to that he was in no way shape or form, oft injured. If Kyle can miss 10 games in a season and not be labelled oft injured, Glenn should get that same benefit considering he played every game 3 seasons in a row.

1 minute ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

By the way Cordy Glenn was rated by Pro Football Focus at 60.9

Dion Dawkins scores 69.2

Jordan Mills scores 56.1

You can definitely argue that the trade was a good move

Ok, that’s all you got? So they could have kept Glenn and he would have been better than Mills. Tell me, how would the line have faired in it was Glenn with Dawkins next to him?

I’m not really sure you can argue that considering how bad the Bills OL was. And Dawkins regressed a bit.

4 hours ago, Scorp83 said:

The part I under line, is my biggest thing about Allen...people on this board refuse to believe nobody really wanted Allen during pre draft evaluations. 

He's won me over, I will admit... but it's that anyone can argue that he was a highly touted prospect coming into the draft. See I don't fake my feelings & if I'm wrong I will admit it...

There's literally a YouTube videos of Fans pissed off with the Allen pick! Check it out cause I was one of them ???

So you really believe no one wanted Allen from pre draft evaluations?

Even though there was much talk of him going #1 to Cleveland and that pick being between Mayfield and Allen.

The Jets wanted Darnold all along, but then both Buffalo and Arizona were higher on Allen than Rosen.

The scouts around the league had Allen ranked pretty high and the guys that hated him were the pure analytic guys that could not justify the draft position with the numbers.  Allen just blew all of their analytical work up by being successful as a rookie and showing talent and athleticism they could not quantify.  The other things that the analytical guys missed was leadership and heart - Allen has shown an abundance of both, but they struggle to quantify that with things like completion percentage.

Yes some fans hated the pick - just as some fans are down on McDermott and call him conservative without recognizing the changes he made through the season as Allen grew.  Just like most other things people build a judgement and then continue to argue a false narrative to justify their position in the face of alternative facts to what they are seeing.  

For example people argue argue that all they do is bring in ex-Carolina players and that they refuse to go get talent - when by the end of the season there was 1 ex-Carolina player on the entire active roster and 1 in Anderson sitting on the bench, but the narrative continues.  Another is that McDermott is super conservative- when in reality the Bills were upper 1/3 of the league in 4th down attempts and as Allen progressed and showed athleticism they went for more and more late in the season.  He was more conservative early on because the defense was the better part of the team both this year and last and a defensive coach with a better defense should be more conservative.  As the offense got better you saw him make changes to allow more aggression and we will see but it appears to me he is right in the middle - not super aggressive and not super conservative.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Um sure you do, are you saying the Bills didn’t covet Tre?

And Glenn missed 3 his rookie season and 5 because of the Kidney in 2016. He started all 16 games for 3 straight season. His first injury plagued season was 2017. Prior to that he was in no way shape or form, oft injured. If Kyle can miss 10 games in a season and not be labelled oft injured, Glenn should get that same benefit considering he played every game 3 seasons in a row.

They key term is oft.  It means often.  One injury is one time not often.  Im not saying I dont wish we kept Cordy but oftinjured is accurate.  He was always struggling with his foot and back which sometimes affected him while he was playing.  I also thing Cordy was very under appreciated on this board.

But just so its cleat KW missed 10 games in a single season due to a single injury.  One time is not often.  I cant remember a season that Cordy was injured to the point that it affected hos play significantly for at least a single game.  He was injured often hence the term oftinjured (often-injured)

5 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

They key term is oft.  It means often.  One injury is one time not often.  Im not saying I dont wish we kept Cordy but oftinjured is accurate.  He was always struggling with his foot and back which sometimes affected him while he was playing.  I also thing Cordy was very under appreciated on this board.

But just so its cleat KW missed 10 games in a single season due to a single injury.  One time is not often.  I cant remember a season that Cordy was injured to the point that it affected hos play significantly for at least a single game.  He was injured often hence the term oftinjured (often-injured)

Oh come on, Kyle was receiving treatment nearly every off season for both his Achilles.