Bills WRs and tracking the ball

zow2

What’s up with our WRs?!?  I mean not the most talented group but holy cow, when the throw is contested, and they have to track the ball, stop and high point it, they all suck!  So many chances to make game changing receptions and they can’t do it.  Forget about the obvious passes that sail through their hands, that’s another story.

oh and why does it seem every 3rd and 4th down pass in Pats territory has to be 25 yards downfield? Can’t we just have a play to get the first down? Jeez make the easy play.

and lastly, Josh Allen can lose the little “touch” floater pass that he fell in love with during the Detroit game. That will add many INTs to his stat line.

• Like (+1) 2

I have never seen a Bills QB let down on as consistent a basis as this.

It has been all year, every game, all receivers and tight ends.

Brutal!!!!!

I put some of it on coaching, some on the newness of the team and some on the lack of talent by the receivers.

The back shoulder plays and outs need to be understood by the receivers. The fourth down play and the dropped TD to Logan Thomas were brutal. 

I do think that today was a valuable day of experience for JA. Give him 2 bonafide pass catchers today and we are in this game till the end.

Edited by Buffalo Boy
  • Like (+1) 3

I think Josh Allen is going to be one of those guys who might be a bit difficult to play with. Understanding what he wants to do when going off script, getting up and playing the ball, and being ready for fastballs. This is in no way and indictment on Josh. I am simply saying they have to find the pieces that work well with him. They have one in Foster. Zay Jones played well in that Barkley game because he's a robotic reciever and Barkley is a system quarterback. Josh has cahones, and is going to need recievers who are aggressive as well. Again I love Josh and I simply want to see him paired with pieces that work. 

Thats why me and a bunch of other people have advocated for Tanner Gentry. Because the guy knows how to play with Josh and knows what to do when the play breaks down. He's not necessarily anything special. But he's probably a great fit for our quarterback. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Where's the accountability for putting this trash on the field?

Lol.  FIRE THE 2ND YEAR GM ONE YEAR AFTER BREAKING A 17 YEAR DROUGHT DURING A REBUILD!!!!  Idiots 

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think Josh Allen is going to be one of those guys who might be a bit difficult to play with. Understanding what he wants to do when going off script, getting up and playing the ball, and being ready for fastballs. This is in no way and indictment on Josh. I am simply saying they have to find the pieces that work well with him. They have one in Foster. Zay Jones played well in that Barkley game because he's a robotic reciever and Barkley is a system quarterback. Josh has cahones, and is going to need recievers who are aggressive as well. Again I love Josh and I simply want to see him paired with pieces that work. 

Thats why me and a bunch of other people have advocated for Tanner Gentry. Because the guy knows how to play with Josh and knows what to do when the play breaks down. He's not necessarily anything special. But he's probably a great fit for our quarterback. 

Agreed.  He need instinctual WRs with great hands but our offense requires speed.

Edited by NewEra

Next year Foster and Jones better be options #3, #4 and Mckenzie better be on the PS  Also enough with the Logan Thomas experiment.  Croom is ok as a #2 TE, he might turn into something.  Start calling all teams with expensive WR's who might be ready to deal . AJ Green, Julio Jones, both those teams have cheaper young replacements and might be better off with that cap space  Worth some phone time.

The issue can be summed up by some of the drops/misses/fumbles by Bills receiver, and Edleman rollng over two Bills defenders and staying with the play to score a td.   

NE makes those plays with regularity

..our guys drop balls that hit them in the hands on a regular basis.  And yes, a ball will hit Gronk and be picked off on occasion, or Burkhead will fumble after a run, but it's not at all expected to be the norm. In Buffalo, the Croom fumble represents the type of play we are really, really good at. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes, watching Eagles Houston and marked difference in WR play.

I thought the same. First play I saw after Bills game was Foles throwing it up 20-30 yards down middle and Jeffery highpointing it in between three guys hitting him - one CB already wrapped him up partially before the ball got to him and he came down no problem. Jeffery is a good WR, but not tops in the league anymore. Our guys are questionable catching open balls that hit them in the numbers lol.

Foster 80 yard bomb should be a TD if not for losing it. The ball through both of Logan's hands in endzone - tough catch but NFL WR's make this catch frequently it was a perfect throw... then Foster against Gilmore on the "back shoulder" short throw. Foster made a great initial adjustment, and still not an easy catch. But its a catch many WR's makes IMO.

4 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

If only we had a player like Watkins.....?

We would not have the money to sign him for what he got in KC lol... plus he could have easily said no since we arent known for throwing to WR's with Tyrod lol.

20 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Lol.  FIRE THE 2ND YEAR GM ONE YEAR AFTER BREAKING A 17 YEAR DROUGHT DURING A REBUILD!!!!  Idiots 

Agreed.  He need instinctual WRs with great hands but our offense requires speed.

His football takes are very nincompoopish

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

I'm certainly not against it. Firing McDermott would do 0 harm to the franchise. 

I didn't ask what you were against.  I asked what you wanted.  Go on record Scotty.  Say, "I want McD fired for this garbage product."  At least it would silence your inane "ACCOUNTABILITY?!?!?!?!" takes.

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Did you watch the last drive where Foles set the team up for a FG.  Foles threw so decent passes but theu weren’t between the numbers.  Jefferey and the TE’s caught those balls because they are good receivers.  The ball placement was the same, the difference was the quality of who was catching the ball. 

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I'd put them(McDermott and Beane)on notice that the offensive production and talent is completely unacceptable and it absolutely better be fixed this offseason. 

They knew the offense was going to suck this season.  This has been the plan all all along. 

9 hours ago, zow2 said:

What’s up with our WRs?!?  I mean not the most talented group but holy cow, when the throw is contested, and they have to track the ball, stop and high point it, they all suck!  So many chances to make game changing receptions and they can’t do it.  Forget about the obvious passes that sail through their hands, that’s another story.

oh and why does it seem every 3rd and 4th down pass in Pats territory has to be 25 yards downfield? Can’t we just have a play to get the first down? Jeez make the easy play.

and lastly, Josh Allen can lose the little “touch” floater pass that he fell in love with during the Detroit game. That will add many INTs to his stat line.

Bingo!  Good observations on all counts!

9 hours ago, zow2 said:

Our top WR is a 2nd year 2nd round pick Zay Jones, an undrafted FA WR in Robert Foster, a 4th round rookie TE in Jason Croom and a guy who's been bounced around in practice squads, Isiah McKenzie, I can't believe were even in these games from week to week and did the Bills WR not practicebefore the game and not see the sun might not be in their eyes? How about putting on a visor over the facemask?

13 hours ago, Billzgobowlin said:

That's exactly right. We do need a player like him again now that we have a qb who can throw it. But paying him for the past two seasons while we figured out the qb wasnt the right move. But next year, I feel like a high priced receiver (either high draft or big FA) is a necessity. 

Now is the time you go get a guy like Watkins and a true #1 receiver and put them with Zay and Foster. 

13 hours ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Other than those minor issues like his inability to stay healthy or put up numbers anywhere close to what one would expect from an elite receiver in this league...

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Other than those minor issues like his inability to stay healthy or put up numbers anywhere close to what one would expect from an elite receiver in this league...

Hes a solid #2 who can put up 800yds/5tds next yr. Now that we have someone who can get a guy like him the ball , I'd overpay him or someone like him in FA. Draft someone to man the #1 spot and you have a good core of wrs. 

1 minute ago, Captain_Quint said:

Hes a solid #2 who can put up 800yds/5tds next yr. Now that we have someone who can get a guy like him the ball , I'd overpay him or someone like him in FA. Draft someone to man the #1 spot and you have a good core of wrs. 

We do need a solid #1 and #2; I don't mind overpaying to bring in the right receivers; however, for me, Watkins would not be in the conversation

19 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You can watch pretty much any NFL game and see a noticeable difference in wr/te play. Routinely I see pass catchers making diving, leaping, high pointing, one handed, contested catches that I rarely have see any of our receivers make this year. It’s hard enough for our guys to make the routine catches. 

1 hour ago, racketmaster said:

You can watch pretty much any NFL game and see a noticeable difference in wr/te play. Routinely I see pass catchers making diving, leaping, high pointing, one handed, contested catches that I rarely have see any of our receivers make this year. It’s hard enough for our guys to make the routine catches. 

It really is noticeable when you watch the rest of the league.  

Can our guys just make a few catches per game that maybe they’re not supposed to make?!?!  

I thought Robert Foster was the best looking Receiver on the team at tracking the ball. Then he lets an 80yd TD reception fall harmlessly in front of him and points wildly at his eyes.  Dude, fight through it and be prepared in advance for that possibility.  

Logan Thomas? Not NFL caliber, no hands.  I’d much rather have slower Nick O’Leary who was a solid possession guy.   Isaiah and Zay? They have trouble corralling Josh’s ropes with their hands.  We don’t need anymore body catchers. Be an NFL WR for goodness sake. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mopreme said:

This is what happens when you draft Zay Jones ahead of Juju.  Whoever made that call should be fired! 

I think the guy who made that call was fired already. Phil McGeoghan was Zay's WR coach at ECU and he was our WR coach last year. I honestly think he put in a good word for Zay and because the new regime was relying on limited information for that draft we took his advice. He was fired last year and now coaches for the Chargers. I still don't know what McDermott was  basing his draft decisions on last year. Beane wasn't even here yet and we redid most of the scouting department immediately after.