Draft "misses" by Buffalo

You always hear about the players the Bills have passed on in recent (20) years. But how many of them would have even had success in the team that we had at the time? Biggest names we hear are

• Brady (Who was a diamond in the rough that every other team passed on 6 times)
  • Gronk
  • Could have traded up for Big Ben
  • Russell Wilson 

Just to name a few. 

• Sad 3

There are alot of them..we are one of the worst drafting teams in the league by a large margin with the amount of drafted players currently on the roster... but let’s hope we finally got our act together with this being the first full year with Beanes scouts in place 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat
  • Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

You always hear about the players the Bills have passed on in recent (20) years. But how many of them would have even had success in the team that we had at the time? Biggest names we hear are

• Brady (Who was a diamond in the rough that every other team passed on 6 times)
  • Gronk
  • Russell Wilson 

Just to name a few. 

I mean no one knew Brady was gonna be good, I can’t fault the Bills for that. The Pats passed on him like 8 times alone. 

Gronk overlook sucks, local guy big time TE took a bust. 

Every story leading up to that draft was that the Bills did try to trade up for Roethlisberger. They wanted to move up from 13 to 9 for the Jags pic but Jacksonville decided to stay and picked a WR who ended up being a bust from Washington, the name escapes me rn. After the Steelers took him the Bills settled for Evans and eventually traded up for Losman. 

Wilson pick also sucks because it ended up being TJ Graham. The fact the Jags took a Punter instead of Wilson is worse tho. 

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Most recent Mahomes and Juju Smith. We need elite talent in here not average joe type players. Guys like Mack open up the defense for everyone else to be more effective. We have maybe 1 or 2 players who are elite players, Hughes and White.

..interesting dichotomy about the  Mahomes  kid.....highly doubt his astonishing performance YTD in 2018 as well as being in the hunt for MVP was predicted........there were plenty of "posting pundits" who said PASS because he was a product of the leper like Air Raid.......plenty of "Air Raid QB's NEVER succeed in the NFL" comments.......and I wonder how many of THEM have conveniently switched camps into "see I told you so he'd be good.......Bflo really blew the pick....etc"........think they fess up with mea cuplas?.....Andy is probably the best NFL HC  for molding this lad's talents as in translating those into the NFL game.....bonafide "draft misses" that quickly come to mind are the likes of Patulski (#1 overall), Bluto Williams, Maybin, etc........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

I don't mean to offend anyone here, but I don't get the intent. There are terrific young ball players on every club and every team makes their picks and hopes for the best. My personal approach is to not lament the fellas we didn't choose and support the ballplayers we've acquired. There's some terrific young men we've brought on board over the past couple of seasons.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We could probably list hundreds, for every team.

That’s really the nature of the draft.  You’re just rolling dice most of the time - very few sure things, all kinds of guys with “upside” but flaws or injury histories, players from small schools, etc.

Sometimes we talk about it like it’s a more exact science.  Hindsight is just that.

• Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I mean no one knew Brady was gonna be good, I can’t fault the Bills for that. The Pats passed on him like 8 times alone. 

Gronk overlook sucks, local guy big time TE took a bust. 

Every story leading up to that draft was that the Bills did try to trade up for Roethlisberger. They wanted to move up from 13 to 9 for the Jags pic but Jacksonville decided to stay and picked a WR who ended up being a bust from Washington, the name escapes me rn. After the Steelers took him the Bills settled for Evans and eventually traded up for Losman. 

Wilson pick also sucks because it ended up being TJ Graham. The fact the Jags took a Punter instead of Wilson is worse tho. 

Was Reggie Williams.

Dude was a stud here at UW. 

24 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Most recent Mahomes and Juju Smith. We need elite talent in here not average joe type players. Guys like Mack open up the defense for everyone else to be more effective. We have maybe 1 or 2 players who are elite players, Hughes and White.

I would've loved for us to have traded for Mack, the dude is a generational player. 

That's not even getting to how sickening it is that we could have drafted him and took Watkins instead. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

I don't mean to offend anyone here, but I don't get the intent. There are terrific young ball players on every club and every team makes their picks and hopes for the best. My personal approach is to not lament the fellas we didn't choose and support the ballplayers we've acquired. There's some terrific young men we've brought on board over the past couple of seasons.

Goodluck in the XFL Doug. 

• Haha (+1) 3

30 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

See now this would be an interesting topic. Why isn’t Hughes Elite? He’s so darn close. There is just something missing I can’t quite peg it. His motor is relentless, he flashes elite playmaking, his size isn’t far off from Mack... he certainly has a edge to him. What’s missing 

So, let me now name all the teams who have had perfect drafts and would never want a do-over...........

That's about it.

JuJu would have been a great get for this team, but I won’t complain about the most recent drafts. We certainly had a long,  rough spell, but I’m hopeful we have turned that corner.  

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, Success said:

That’s really the nature of the draft.  You’re just rolling dice most of the time - very few sure things, all kinds of guys with “upside” but flaws or injury histories, players from small schools, etc.

Sometimes we talk about it like it’s a more exact science.  Hindsight is just that.

...better be careful with that "voice of reason" stuff my friend.......you are DEAD ON IMO........draft/FA has never been, is not and NEVER will be an exact science......the wild card shall forever be what is in a player's head and heart......invent THAT measurable meter and you'll be a billionaire.................

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

• Gronk
  • Russell Wilson 

Just to name a few. 

Bored?

11 minutes ago, Success said:

Exactly, even teams that draft well and make the playoffs every year could put a long list together of players they should have drafted but didn't. There are just too many unknowns to be perfect. Seems pointless to continually rehash who we could have had. We all know the Bills did not draft well for quite a spell. But that is obviously changing. The Mahomes one I can understand a bit just because it was actually our pick that we traded away...but there's still no guarantee that he has the same success if he came here, because the Chiefs were ready to go as a roster with an established coach who is good with QBs. Too many "ifs" and then team circumstances with any draft pick to determine what could have been if they were drafted somewhere else.

2 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Actually, yes. I forgot to bring my phone to work. It's a slow day, and I can only go to unblocked sites. Lol.

Hey man, thats all i need to leave ya alone. Kudos for manning up and being honest rather than one of the folks who post as if its facebook and then want to referee the thread as well. Respect

Edited by gobills1212
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, White Linen said:

Wow this is fun.  What about Aaron Rodgers and everyone else that's good that drafted behind our pick?

...shoulda...coulda...woulda.....a/k/a hindsight is a beautiful thing, right bud?...............even before we indict clubs/their GM's, how about the highly paid "draft experts" first?.....1994 Kiper vs Tobin over the Albert vs Dilfer pick to which Tobin replied, "who the hell is Mel Kiper?"......or Kiper's drool about Tony Mandarich......"a behemoth....man among boyz...can't miss future HOF'er..."........the list goes on......

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Goodluck in the XFL Doug. 

Doug Whaley wasn't the greatest GM but I'm not one to lament the past nor nitpick draft picks and coulda woulda shoulda's. It's an exercize in futilty if you ask me. I've been on this earth for 78 years and I'm not one to live in the past. 

If others enjoy such a thing, I'm not one to rain on parades. Just adding my two cents.

21 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

See now this would be an interesting topic. Why isn’t Hughes Elite? He’s so darn close. There is just something missing I can’t quite peg it. His motor is relentless, he flashes elite playmaking, his size isn’t far off from Mack... he certainly has a edge to him. What’s missing 

Refs who call holding on O linemen... that's what's missing. 

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

What's missing is that holding Mack gets called, holding Hughes is ignored.  We've seen it now for years, every week.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

• Gronk
  • Russell Wilson 

Just to name a few. 

I don't give Brady much thought.  I'm sure it's been mentioned on this board many times but even the Patriots passed on Brady with their first pick in the 6th round.  They took some guy named Antwan Harris instead.  Sometimes it truly is better to be lucky than good.

• Thank you (+1) 1

sitting at pick 3.  plenty of chances to trade down.  We have our choice of AJ Green, Patrick Peterson, JJ Watt, Julio Jones(the Falcons trade up to 6, for 27, 59, 124, and a 1st and 4th in 2012.) . We stay pat and draft Dareus who not only underperforms, gets suspended, he wrecks our cap. How the hell did the Bills blow that draft?  And then there is Mike Williams....the horror, the horror!

Edited by Pete

Applying the standard set in this thread, every single team has draft misses. Every one. It’s not something really unique in the NFL, when a guy drastically outplays his draft position and in any redo draft he’d be taken much earlier. 

Missing on players who become big stars for other teams does not bother me greatly.  It happens a lot to every team.  Buffalo has been a terrible drafting team over the drought years, not so much because they missed on players who surprised everybody because they became big stars, but because they drafted players in the first 3 rounds who ended up not being with the team three years later.  They busted, or didn't quite fit what the team was trying to do, or we didn't have the circumstances to enable us to use him properly.  Whatever the reason, we had no continuity in player personnel, which mirrored the lack of continuity in the coaching staff.  Buffalo's longest term player was a fifth round pick.  I'm glad Kyle Williams has had such a long and quality career with Buffalo, but the lack of first round picks who were with the team three years later is astounding.

Edited by TigerJ

4 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...shoulda...coulda...woulda.....a/k/a hindsight is a beautiful thing, right bud?...............even before we indict clubs/their GM's, how about the highly paid "draft experts" first?.....1994 Kiper vs Tobin over the Albert vs Dilfer pick to which Tobin replied, "who the hell is Mel Kiper?"......or Kiper's drool about Tony Mandarich......"a behemoth....man among boyz...can't miss future HOF'er..."........the list goes on......

Exactly and how about how our own fans like to chastise our team for not drafting said player - yet they forget many others passed on these guys too.   

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Definitely an interesting topic. To me Hughes is nowhere near a guy like Mack, who is just a freak, who plays with a violence and edge about him. He just beats people with sheer violence. He beats the piss out of them. Jerry has a few moves and is a good rush player. His game is more finesse to me. He has a great first step and outside move. He also has a great inside counter spin. That's kind of it. He doesn't use his hands the way Mack does. He doesn't show the variety of pass rushing moves that a guy like Joey Bosa has. 

When Jerry plays against athletic tackles who take away his outside move and his counter spin, he is toast. He just doesn't have the technique, sheer strength, and athletic ability of Mack imo. Mack is really the closest thing I have seen to Reggie White just embarrassing guys and throwing them around like rag dolls. Jerry is relentless and has anedge to him. But he ain't anywhere near Mack. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

And other guys get holding calls against O-linemen. Hughes is blacklisted by the refs. It's pretty evident. Watch tape, ever?

Cool. Glad we're on the same page. 

How has this obvious elaborate conspiracy eluded the press for so long?  

I cant belive no one has come forward on this league wide conspiracy to ensure Jerry’s elite pass rushing is marginalized.  It must go all the way to the top. Are the media and Head coach in on it too? 

31 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Definitely an interesting topic. To me Hughes is nowhere near a guy like Mack, who is just a freak, who plays with a violence and edge about him. He just beats people with sheer violence. He beats the piss out of them. Jerry has a few moves and is a good rush player. His game is more finesse to me. He has a great first step and outside move. He also has a great inside counter spin. That's kind of it. He doesn't use his hands the way Mack does. He doesn't show the variety of pass rushing moves that a guy like Joey Bosa has. 

When Jerry plays against athletic tackles who take away his outside move and his counter spin, he is toast. He just doesn't have the technique, sheer strength, and athletic ability of Mack imo. Mack is really the closest thing I have seen to Reggie White just embarrassing guys and throwing them around like rag dolls. Jerry is relentless and has anedge to him. But he ain't anywhere near Mack. 

Interesting you mention violence and sheer strength... you might have it.

Jerry definitely seems like he plays better angry. If he were a lot more angry all the time on the field that might move the needle. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

Yeah forcing the Losman pick and missing out on Rodgers is huge.

And the trade up for Sammy and not Mack. 

To me those are the ergregious gaffes that have really held the franchise back. Losman one being #1. 

A lot of people passed on Brady so it is what it is. Dareus pick was one that no one questioned at the time and most felt he might be the best plAyer in the draft. In fact most mocks had us getting Von Miller because no one thought the Broncos would pass on Marcell.