Autographs

What are the coolest autographs you've collected over the years? All of mine came from me meeting the person directly, not buying the autograph. I've never directly paid for autograph in my life.

One's I've had (even if I probably lost some since then), in order of how cool I think they were

• Chuck Berry. Waited outside his dressing room before a show.
  • REO Speedwagon. Literally standing in the same spot I got Chuck's a few months later. They almost hit me with their bus.
  • Stu Cook, and Doug Clifford. Drummer and Bassist for Creedence. Same spot as the first two.
  • George Thorogood. After a show where I sat front row all show holding up my album.
  • Doobie Brothers current lineup. My aunt's friend from high school is married to their current sax player, so we got backstage passes.
  • Derek St. Holmes. Original lead singer for Ted Nugent. Wrote all of his songs that were actually good before Ted kicked him out in the early 80s.
  • Mick Brown (Drummer from Dokken.)

I used to work in a hotel so I got several autographs from famous guests. Bill Murray, Jerry Garcia, Bob Weir, Todd Rundgren, Eddie Money, Ian McLagen, Ian Anderson, Lou Ferigno. Now I live close to the NY Mets training camp and I have about 20 autographed baseballs from Mets players.

2 hours ago, mrags said:

i Can tell you the best one I never got. CJ Spiller pulled a spin move on me in line at training camp once and passed me over completely. 

Ever since then my blood runs hot when I hear his name. 

Then there's the time Watkins gave you the ol' okie doke. Good times man, good times.

2 hours ago, mrags said:

i Can tell you the best one I never got. CJ Spiller pulled a spin move on me in line at training camp once and passed me over completely. 

So you got him into space, huh?

I got George Steinbrenner's when I was a kid.   Didn't get Howard Cosell's but he was at one of my little league games.

Was visiting Buffalo, sometime in the 90's, and the NFLPA was raising funds at the Walden Galleria.  I made a donation, maybe $10 or 20, and they personally signed a Nieman print for me.

The players were; Charley Ferguson WR #80, Lou Piccone WR #89, Robert James CB #80, and one mystery signature that looks like Bob Dugan #74, but I can't identify that name in any reference. 

3 hours ago, mrags said:

He was probably just trying to get some space. Nothing personal. 

30 minutes ago, mead107 said:

I want a Donald Trump autograph ?

Are you looking for a pardon? Do tell! 

Lou Roe

Marcus Camby

Dee Brown

Mark Bravaro

I told the Bravaro story before, my younger brother walked off with his SB ring at a local polish club where he showed up to party with his old buddies. We were kids back then but it’s something we still joke about, were there with our stepdad.

Some of these aren't collected personally,  but authenticated by whoever does that stuff.

Jim Kelly 

Brooks Robinson 

Mike Musina 

Johnny Unitas 

Whitey Ford 

Ritchie Ashburn 

Also I got Tiny Tim's autograph at a circus when I was a kid . Unfortunately I hung it above my hamster cage and he chewed most of it away. 

Edited by RaoulDuke79

I had a really rare opportunity to meet Roger Waters after a show in '99 (usually he splits immediately in a black dark van with motorcycle cavalcade like some sort of head of state).  While standing in line, it became apparent we'd only get a quick moment with him.  So I made a judgement call to shake his hand instead of getting the autograph.  It actually made for an awkward moment, with him holding a marker waiting for something to sign and me dangling my hand out in the wind instead.  When he looked at me, I said "thank you Roger" and he gave me a really quick handshake (learned later he's a bit of a germaphobe).  Being able to tell people (and you now) that I shook the hand that wrote The Wall is better than an autograph to me so I've never regretted it.  Can you tell I'm a huge PF fan ??

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, coloradobillsfan said:

I had a really rare opportunity to meet Roger Waters after a show in '99 (usually he splits immediately in a black dark van with motorcycle cavalcade like some sort of head of state).  While standing in line, it became apparent we'd only get a quick moment with him.  So I made a judgement call to shake his hand instead of getting the autograph.  It actually made for an awkward moment, with him holding a marker waiting for something to sign and me dangling my hand out in the wind instead.  When he looked at me, I said "thank you Roger" and he gave me a really quick handshake (learned later he's a bit of a germaphobe).  Being able to tell people (and you now) that I shook the hand that wrote The Wall is better than an autograph to me so I've never regretted it.  Can you tell I'm a huge PF fan ??

I was at a Bisons game once, in early April, so nobody was there. I had just gotten into a car accident, so I had a cast on. There was a player in the autograph stand with no line. So I walked up and put my cast up to him, he just shook my hand and was confused. Lol.

Collected sports autographs as a kid.  Some of the better ones I can think of...

Michael Jordan 

Joe Montana

Karl Malone

Ken Griffey Jr.

Cornelius Bennett

Drew Bledsoe

I got most of the early 90’s Bills players with the exception of Kelly, Thurman and Reed.  Those guys were hard to get.

I think the only ones I have are Sabres. A couple Rob Ray's and Ted Nolans. Ted signed a stick after a practice.

I worked with someone who gave me a Sabres stick that was supposed to be signed by Hasek but I'm not sure on that one. My wife also gave me a stick signed by the entire 2016 OHL Niagara Ice Dogs team. Most famous name on that one is probably Islanders prospect Josh Ho Sang

As a kid I think I had a Commander Tom signed picture too

Edited by apuszczalowski

Went to a music expo back in about 1987.  Bunch of musicians representing their brands.  I met Tommy Aldridge, who drummed for Ozzy and Whitesnake.  Could not have been nicer.  Humble, appreciative, grateful.  He signed my hat.

Same day/place, I met Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick.  I've always been a Cheap Trick fan and I was very excited.  This guy was a complete douche.  No eye contact.  No handshake.  No kind words, like, "thanks for coming," or anything.  Yo.  That's all he said.  Yo.  He signed a piece of paper and I walked away from him, found the nearest garbage can and tossed it right in.  That sucked.

Jeff Blatnick - Olympic Gold Medal wrestler (RIP).  Met him through my brother, who was big into wrestling in the early 80s.

Gene Mills - wrestling legend.

Gregg Bissonette - drummer for David Lee Roth.  They were in town to play a show at the Glens Falls Civic Center.  A friend of mine saw him at the mall the day of the show.  She knew I was a fan and she asked him to sign an autograph for me.  It said, "To Gug - Eat em and Smile."   I think I might still have this one.

Green day (all)

Ted nugent

Patrick Roy (on a flyers puck)

The entire Kelly family 40x over

90s bills 

Andre reed ( found out it was my 5th birthday so he picked me up and brought me around to all the players at a practice. Great guy)

Travis Henry

Warren moon 

Dan Marino

Every celeb from stargaze 94 besides trump. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

Went to a music expo back in about 1987.  Bunch of musicians representing their brands.  I met Tommy Aldridge, who drummed for Ozzy and Whitesnake.  Could not have been nicer.  Humble, appreciative, grateful.  He signed my hat.

Same day/place, I met Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick.  I've always been a Cheap Trick fan and I was very excited.  This guy was a complete douche.  No eye contact.  No handshake.  No kind words, like, "thanks for coming," or anything.  Yo.  That's all he said.  Yo.  He signed a piece of paper and I walked away from him, found the nearest garbage can and tossed it right in.  That sucked.

Jeff Blatnick - Olympic Gold Medal wrestler (RIP).  Met him through my brother, who was big into wrestling in the early 80s.

Gene Mills - wrestling legend.

Gregg Bissonette - drummer for David Lee Roth.  They were in town to play a show at the Glens Falls Civic Center.  A friend of mine saw him at the mall the day of the show.  She knew I was a fan and she asked him to sign an autograph for me.  It said, "To Gug - Eat em and Smile."   I think I might still have this one.

Cheap Trick stayed at the hotel I worked at. I didn't meet Rick Nielsen but someone I worked with did and said pretty much the same thing you did about him. I did meet Bun E. Carlos and he was a really cool guy.

A ‘Wade Boggs’ signed baseball.  

A ‘Philip Perlman’ autograph, guy who was a background actor on ‘Cheers’.  Rhea Perlman’s father.

Funny, you would swear the same guy signed them...?

EDIT:  In actuality, not very many. Buster Bison, and a few of the Bisons who came through Buffalo in 1988-92.  Turk Wendell, who was charting pitches for the I-Cubs while on a rehab assignment.  Tom Baker, the British actor, as opposed to the U.S. bowler.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
Truth in advertising...

4 hours ago, Bills4everNY said:

Cheap Trick stayed at the hotel I worked at. I didn't meet Rick Nielsen but someone I worked with did and said pretty much the same thing you did about him. I did meet Bun E. Carlos and he was a really cool guy.

When my brother was stationed on the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (aircraft carrier), he met all of Cheap Trick as well as Stephen Stills.  They were on the ship to perform for the sailors.  He said Stephen Stills was super cool.  He didn't have anything bad to say about Rick Nielsen, but from my personal experience and your coworker's claim, I'm gonna keep the douche label on him.  Bun E. Carlos seems like he'd be a really cool dude.

• Like (+1) 1

Inherited from my Father 

Multiple "Big Band" era performers, most not famous, though I do have Glen Miller.

Only 2 that I have ever asked for myself.

Steven Wright (Comedian)

The San Diego Chicken...........

15 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

I think the only ones I have are Sabres. A couple Rob Ray's and Ted Nolans. Ted signed a stick after a practice.

Not an autograph, but in the early days of the Sabres, my grandmother used to work at the Aud. Whenever a stick broke in practice, they'd just throw them off to the side and get a new one. My grandma would take them home, my grandfather would tape them up and play with them. My uncles never had to pay for a hockey stick, and always had genuine Sabres sticks to play with.

39 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Inherited from my Father 

Multiple "Big Band" era performers, most not famous, though I do have Glen Miller.

Only 2 that I have ever asked for myself.

Steven Wright (Comedian)

The San Diego Chicken...........

I used to work for the Bisons. San Diego Chicken came to town, but the game was rained out. Contractually, he could have just left and collected the paycheck anyway for showing up. Instead, he had an autograph/photo session for about an hour and a half. Brought him and his crew a bunch of leftover burgers that had just been sitting in the warming tray since the stadium was open, and they were forever grateful. Hung out with him for about half an hour waiting for a ride. Really nice guy, and even let me wear the head. Used to play minor league hockey back in the day. Watched the first ever Little League World Series video review with him. 

• Like (+1) 2

Keith Richards, Joe Strummer, Mick Jones (Clash), Jerry Lee Lewis, John Entwistle,  Lou Reed...tons of musicians....

Perhaps my most prized, and unique, is Larry Birds autograph, as forged by Kevin McHale.

Edited by Buftex
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

When my brother was stationed on the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (aircraft carrier), he met all of Cheap Trick as well as Stephen Stills.  They were on the ship to perform for the sailors.  He said Stephen Stills was super cool.  He didn't have anything bad to say about Rick Nielsen, but from my personal experience and your coworker's claim, I'm gonna keep the douche label on him.  Bun E. Carlos seems like he'd be a really cool dude.

I went to a CSN concert at Saratoga Performing Arts Center years ago and it was the same weekend as the Travers race at the track. Stephen Stills went to the race. People I talked to who met him at the track said he was a super nice guy.

Edited by Bills4everNY
  • Like (+1) 1

An old high school friend of mine works as an events coordinator for a major sports arena.  She meets every performer in person.  I'm sure her job is stressful, but man, how cool would it be to meet all of those musicians, as well as athletes?

Bobby Orr is the only person who's autograph I ever asked for.  I got it when I was 10 years old.  Bruce Smith might be the only other one if I ever met him on person.  I delivered the Buffalo News to Gil Perreault for three years.  Did the weekly collection at his door.  I never asked him.  I could've asked Joe DiMaggio, but he was eating dinner and I didn't want to bother him.  My dad was pissed off at me for that.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Not an autograph, but in the early days of the Sabres, my grandmother used to work at the Aud. Whenever a stick broke in practice, they'd just throw them off to the side and get a new one. My grandma would take them home, my grandfather would tape them up and play with them. My uncles never had to pay for a hockey stick, and always had genuine Sabres sticks to play with.

That would be a cool collection to have. It's funny that the old sticks you could pretty much repair and use compared to today where they are trash.

I still have all my old sticks when they break in my garage, I plan on using them to make something like a table or chair or bench with them. 

The stick I had Nolan sign was one of my own, a 'gas bar special' decades ago from Canadian tire.

I do remember a few other autographs I have. A co worker of mine used to go to Florida every spring during spring training and he brought me back a signed Jay's Program from Buck Martinez. My wife has a ticket signed by Jim Cuddy of Canadian band Blue Rodeo whom she met again recently at a show. I have the last 2 albums by the Canadian band The Trews signed by all of them. I may also have a Hasek autographed card too, but that one I cant remember.

The only one I still have is Ronnie Wood from a book signing he did in Detroit  a year or so before the Steel Wheels tour.

I also had Chief White Owl the rassler when he made an appearance at a bowling alley in N. Buffalo, but I threw it away the next day.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I used to work for the Bisons. San Diego Chicken came to town, but the game was rained out. Contractually, he could have just left and collected the paycheck anyway for showing up. Instead, he had an autograph/photo session for about an hour and a half. Brought him and his crew a bunch of leftover burgers that had just been sitting in the warming tray since the stadium was open, and they were forever grateful. Hung out with him for about half an hour waiting for a ride. Really nice guy, and even let me wear the head. Used to play minor league hockey back in the day. Watched the first ever Little League World Series video review with him. 

You just reminded me.  I have a hockey puck from the Adirondack Red Wings signed by Dave Hanson.

They played in my hometown.  His wife had a baby in the Glens Falls Hospital where my mom worked in the Snuggery (maternity ward).  The Red Wings, back then, were all the rave.  My mom asked if he could autograph something for me and she brought home the puck.  I still have it.

My little piece of Slapshot!

I’m not big on those because most of you know how I feel about celebrities and I’ve met plenty.  But I did get Jim Kelly’s and this doesn’t really count because I didn’t meet him personally. I was the Chef at The Hollywood Athletic Club at Universal City Wall in the early 90’s.  Jim came in.  I had gone home for the night. They called me and asked if I wanted his autograph and I said nah that’s ok. I came in the next morning and the Bills plastic cup I had on my desk was moved and the pens I kept in it were dumped on my desk. They had Kelly sign it for me anyway which I thought was real cool of them. I think that’s the only one I ever got. And yeah I tossed it several years ago. 

When I was a kid, 10 to 13, my father would take me to Pittsburgh to catch a Dodger/Pirate series.   I was a big Dodger fan and my favorite player was Don Drysdale, mainly because we shared birthdays.  Every year I would try to get autographs.  Maybe because the Dodgers were the away team, it was difficult to get some of theirs.  Although I did manage to get a lot of Pirates including Roberto Clemente.

So maybe it was the third or fourth year, we stayed at the same hotel as the Dodgers.  Well we go to the first game sitting down 3rd base side of the field and Don Drysdale is walking down the outfield from right field, stopping and signing autographs one after another.  My father said "go down and get his autograph."  In my typically pessimistic manner I said he would be gone by the time I got down there, and anyway we were going to two more games.

The next morning while eating breakfast, my father excused himself and walked somewhere behind me.  About a minute later he came back with Don Drysdale.  He sat down and talked to me for about 10 minutes.  Odd I can't remember a single word either of us said except that he said was looking for me at the ballpark,  As it turns out, earlier in the year, my father wrote him a letter saying he never signed autographs and we would be in Pittsburgh again this year.  I was always amazed that Drysdale actually received the letter and read it.   I was even more amazed that my father would do that for me and I never thought of my father the same after that.