Did anyone notice something about Sam Darnold?

PUNT750

6 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Marino was so good... Way ahead of his time

That's like a 7000 yard season today given how much better that was than everyone else

In retrospect it's too bad he never won a ring. Him and Kelly both (obviously)!

But Marino has a lifetime completion percentage of 59%.  I learnt on this site that under 65% means a QB sucks.

Marino gets to one Super Bowl in his 2nd year .... and never gets another shot.  That poor bastard.

7 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You have no sense of football history.  Changed the game for the AFL to give the league legitimacy that eventually led to the merger and won the Super Bowl over the heavily favored NFL Colts.  He absolutely belongs as the Story of the NFL can't be told without mentioning him. 

More like mention of that Jets D that year which held a high power Colts O to a meager 7points.. Namath was a typical Jet.. a loud mouth who talked more than his talent showed and of course a one hit wonder

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

His resemblance to Joe Namath on the field.  The way he walks to the sidelines.  The way he runs the huddle.  His release of the football.  His touch passes.  

It's strange but I've seen many Broadway Joe games and Sam has that look!

I knew I would probably regret clicking on this and yet I did it anyways. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Troy Aikman

Joe Montana

Jim Kelly

All never hit 4000 yards in a 16 game season, yet all 3 are Hall of Fame QBs known for running explosive  and innovative offenses decades after Namath played. 

Doesn't seem possible but it's true. 

Elway just broke 4000 one time in his career.

To me that puts that 4000 yard season back in 1967 when they only played 14 games in perspective, and I'm no Namath fan. 

They go by career, not one year.  Great year, but overrated

1 hour ago, BurpleBull said:

He's an old, ranting, white man whose fixation on the past, clouds how he views present-day NFL players and the league as a whole.

Forgive him.

What the hell does white have to do with it?  

57 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Going to be real cool watching him and Allen go at it for a long time. Patriots are going to be on the bottom of the heap for 15-20 years so enjoy now Pats fans it going to end soon. .  

I doubt the Pats go 2-14 while the Bills and Jets go 15-1 for the next decade

9 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You have no sense of football history.  Changed the game for the AFL to give the league legitimacy that eventually led to the merger and won the Super Bowl over the heavily favored NFL Colts.  He absolutely belongs as the Story of the NFL can't be told without mentioning him. 

All valid points but.....he was not a good QB & his stats back that up.   50% completion %, 173 TDS to 220 INTs, only averaged a shade over 2,000 yards passing per season.  I get it, different time, but those are eye popping bad stats for someone in the HOF.

1 minute ago, Gordio said:

All valid points but.....he was not a good QB & his stats back that up.   50% completion %, 173 TDS to 220 INTs, only averaged a shade over 2,000 yards passing per season.  I get it, different time, but those are eye popping bad stats for someone in the HOF.

Do you understand how much football and the passing game has changed since the 1960s when Namath played?  Look at his peers from the very same era. Beyond that point, his relevance goes far beyond any statistical measure.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Do you understand how much football and the passing game has changed since the 1960s when Namath played?  Look at his peers from the very same era. Beyond that point, his relevance goes far beyond any statistical measure.

yeah I get it.  With that said, his stats suck in any era.  

10 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

His resemblance to Joe Namath on the field.  The way he walks to the sidelines.  The way he runs the huddle.  His release of the football.  His touch passes.  

You saw this?Image result for joe namath fur coat

I don't think so...

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

I was looking at Darnold's eyes.  He looked like he was scared shitless. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

:huh: Pure nonsense. 

It's really not. He had a career completion % of 50.  50%.  That's horrible.

He had 173 TD and 220 INT.  That averages out to 13 TD/17 INT each year.

He passed for less than 3,000 yards in each of his last nine seasons.

In a 13-year career, he passed for 20+ TDs twice.

His career was mediocre AT BEST.  He was way overrated and he should certainly not be in the Hall of Fame.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Watkins90 said:

Joe Namath is the worst football player to ever make the Hall of Fame. Honestly, he probably shouldn’t even be in the Hall of Fame.

No offense but I suspect you didn't seem him play in his prime.  Before injuries ruined his legs - and thus his biomechanics - he was a preternatural threat with the ball in his hands.   Just think about this one stat if his SB victory isn't  enough: he passed for 4,000 yards in a 14 game season in 1967.  

Next best in 1967 was 3300 yards.  Broadway Joe threw for something like 20% more yards than the next best guy.  Incredible.  

No other QB would throw for that many yards until 1980 when the passing game started to explode thanks to all the rule changes making it easier on offenses and harder on defenses.  In 1974, defensive backs were no longer allowed to maul receivers running downfield.   In 1977, seasons became 16  games longs allowing for greater yardage totals.  Also that year, offensive linemen were allowed to use their hands when pass protecting.  More rules were passed in 1977 and 1978 limiting contact between DBs and receivers.   Rules protecting the QB followed and the avalanche of passer-friendly rules continues to this day.   

Namath threw for 4,000 yards before all that - back when QBs and WRs were real football players and got the holy snot beat out of them.  But those beatings took a toll and Namath's abilities declined with his health.  

Edited by hondo in seattle

10 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Now Tony Dungy on the other hand.

10 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I'm sorry, I didn't know we put QBs who had more losses than win, more interceptions than TDs, and a 50 percent completion percentage. in the HOF all for winning one Super Bowl. Yeah, it's an iconic moment, lots of players have iconic moments and don't make the Hall of Fame. 

You think David Tyree deserves to be in the Hall of Fame?

Just now, Watkins90 said:

I'm sorry, I didn't know we put QBs who had more losses than win, more interceptions than TDs, and a 50 percent completion percentage. in the HOF all for winning one Super Bowl. Yeah, it's an iconic moment, lots of players have iconic moments and don't make the Hall of Fame. 

You think David Tyree deserves to be in the Hall of Fame?

Laughable comparison.  His impact goes far beyond a single moment.  The NFL would be a totally different entity from what we know today had he signed with the St. Louis Cardinals instead of the Jets.   

Broadway Joe tried to kiss Suzy Kolber on national TV drunk out of his gourd

Created my favorite sports humor website Kissing Suzy Kolber. Sadly it went down. However characters such as PFTCommenter have lived on in tweets. He's a big fan of MadDog2020. I tweeted at him for what the best MD2020s were in Austin. He answered with Habanero lime. He knows his fortified wine.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

I didn’t see the Mink Coat and Suzy Kolber was no where to be found.

6 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Broadway Joe tried to kiss Suzy Kolber on national TV drunk out of his gourd

Created my favorite sports humor website Kissing Suzy Kolber. Sadly it went down. However characters such as PFTCommenter have lived on in tweets. He's a big fan of MadDog2020. I tweeted at him for what the best MD2020s were in Austin. He answered with Habanero lime. He knows his fortified wine.

....” I dont care about the game, I just wanna kiss you” (Broadway Joe). That was some funny stuff!!!

Edited by billsfan_34
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

....” I dont care about the game, I just wanna kiss you” (Broadway Joe). That was some funny stuff!!!

That's the quote on his bronze HOF bust in Canton if I'm not mistaken.

I dont care about the game, I just wanna kiss you

- Joe Namath 2003

• Haha (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Laughable comparison.  His impact goes far beyond a single moment.  The NFL would be a totally different entity from what we know today had he signed with the St. Louis Cardinals instead of the Jets.   

I guess, I just don't think his career numbers are Hall of Fame worthy. My opinion. 

11 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

Until he appears in a magazine ad wearing panty hose this thread is nonsense.

57 minutes ago, Gugny said:

It's really not. He had a career completion % of 50.  50%.  That's horrible.

He had 173 TD and 220 INT.  That averages out to 13 TD/17 INT each year.

He passed for less than 3,000 yards in each of his last nine seasons.

In a 13-year career, he passed for 20+ TDs twice.

His career was mediocre AT BEST.  He was way overrated and he should certainly not be in the Hall of Fame.

Gug, you're right.  He had a mediocre overall career.  But when at his best, he was extremely talented.  

31 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

I guess, I just don't think his career numbers are Hall of Fame worthy. My opinion. 

Agreed, & the defense had way more to do with that Super Bowl win than Namath.  His stats were a very ordinary 17/26, 206 yards, 0 TDs, 0 Ints.  He rushed for -0- yards that day.  

3 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Gug, you're right.  He had a mediocre overall career.  But when at his best, he was extremely talented.  

Yes, but what that boils down to is three above-average seasons.  I think getting into the Hall of Fame should be more difficult that that.

It's the same reason I was against Terrell Davis getting in.  Davis played 4 full seasons.  One was phenomenal; one was great; the other two were very good.  But it's four seasons.  He played minimal parts of three more seasons.  That's not a Hall of Fame career by any stretch.

A couple great years and a Super Bowl shouldn't = a gold jacket, IMO.

11 hours ago, Gugny said:

Perhaps that Sam Darnold has as much right being in the NFL Hall of Fame that Joe Namath does.

Other than that .... no.

He's not the worst, but he's close.  Terrell Davis is the worst.  Both had a flash of brilliance and a shtick that got them in.  Neither deserves it.

This is totally wrong. In 8 postseason games against the highest-level competition, he had 1,140 yards and 12 TDs - which translates to 2,280 yards and 24 TDs over a 16-game season. He is, demonstrably, on a game-by-game basis -- and factoring that he played in a requisite number of games so that the performances aren't merely outliers -- the greatest postseason RB in NFL history. He won a SB MVP and rushed for over 100 yards in the Broncos' other SB victory.

Also, this ain't baseball. Postseason performance count a LOT towards enshrinement. 

Edited by dave mcbride

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

This is totally wrong. In 8 postseason games against the highest-level competition, he had 1,140 yards and 12 TDs - which translates to 2,280 yards and 24 TDs over a 16-game season. He is, demonstrably, on a game-by-game basis -- and factoring that he played in a requisite number of games so that the performances aren't merely outliers -- the greatest postseason RB in NFL history. He won a SB MVP and rushed for over 100 yards in the Broncos' other SB victory.

Also, this ain't baseball. Postseason performance count a LOT towards enshrinement. 

What makes you think I like baseball? 

Your points re: Davis are rock solid.

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

:huh: Pure nonsense. 

Also worth noting when looking at his stats: note the Advanced Passing rating, for which 100 is league average for that year. When people look at his passer ratings, they compare them to today's stats, which is completely wrong. Namath was above average every year except one before his decline phase really set in in 1975. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NamaJo00.htm. Prior to those three seasons, teams he started for were 56-44-4 too.

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

What makes you think I like baseball? 

Your points re: Davis are rock solid.

Whatever could make me think that? :)  So what do you think of the Cano trade? I think he's still really good.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Thank you (+1) 1