Until we sort this officiating we are going nowhere

Jasovon

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Do you honestly think teams like the Patriots and Chiefs are dealing with that? Do you think if a defender brought Mahomes to the ground by grabbing around his neck on the last drive of the game it wouldn't be a penalty? I think you're nuts if you believe that. Compare that sack to the sack Bush was called in and tell me the officiating is even handed.

Dealing with what? Poor officiating or specific calls on the QB? I also don’t do well with hypothetical questions like this. Maybe they get the call. Maybe not. I don’t know.

Just now, Búfalo Blanco said:

Tackle Golden Boy Brady by the neck and see what happens... some bad hits on Allen today, several of which were not called. The QB protection from the NFL is inconsistent at best. 

That's different...Superstars do get preferential treatment....it happens in every sport and has been happening for decades.....Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Ben and probably Rivers would have gotten that call....no one is arguing that point...but going from that to " The Refs are out to get the Bills " is quite the jump.... ....JA will hopefully get to that point in a few years...

22 minutes ago, Tcali said:

so the refs forced josh to throw the duck and clay to drop the duck?

Yep. We were in a 4th and 11 because of 2 missed penalties. We were down in the first place because of a botched roughing the passer call on the first drive. Of course these things matter in a sport that is more often than not decided on a few plays.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Búfalo Blanco said:

Tackle Golden Boy Brady by the neck and see what happens... some bad hits on Allen today, several of which were not called. The QB protection from the NFL is inconsistent at best. 

Every call on offense and defense is inconsistent at best. Every game is a crap shoot what you are going to get. I get the false starts, as they are pretty cut and dry. But the holding calls, the PI calls, the roughing the passer calls are so all over the place it's ridiculous. I'd wager if you ran the same play 10 times in a row in front of the same crew there may be 70% consistency at best as to whether they call it the same way.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Iron Maiden said:

That's different...Superstars do get preferential treatment....it happens in every sport and has been happening for decades.....Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Ben and probably Rivers would have gotten that call....no one is arguing that point...but going from that to " The Refs are out to get the Bills " is quite the jump.... ....JA will hopefully get to that point in a few years...

“It happens...” speaking on star’s preferential treatment. Well, that’s admitting bias, which should never happen. 

Just now, HappyDays said:

Yep. We were in a 4th and 11 because of 2 missed penalties. We were down in the first place because of a botched roughing the passer call on the first drive. Of course these things matter in a sport that is more often than not decided on a few plays.

Do you agree with the OP  that all we need is Pegula putting  $$ in the right pockets for us to win more ?

• Haha (+1) 1

Do you agree with the OP  that all we need is Pegula putting  $$ in the right pockets for us to win more ?

Dude you literally already agreed the league is biased against middling teams like the Bills because we don't have a superstar QB. 

Just now, Búfalo Blanco said:

“It happens...” speaking on star’s preferential treatment. Well, that’s admitting bias, which should never happen. 

My point is it's been like that for ever...in every sport....good team overcome that stuff.....we're not there yet....

My point is it's been like that for ever...in every sport....good team overcome that stuff.....we're not there yet....

And my point is that getting the calls makes it easier to be a star. If our line could hold like the Pats, our receivers could run pick plays and push off, and noone was allowed to touch Allen do you not think he would be a significantly better QB?

Josh Allen is getting the Cam Newton treatment. Officials must hate mobile QB's. If you run the ball too much, they don't call hits to the head, even when you stay in the pocket.

3 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I don't think the neck tackle on Allen was a penalty. They could've called it a horse collar, but Imo that would've been a reach. The refs are frustrating, but if we had won this game, the refs would be 1% of the conversation right now 

If you even bump the helmet of the QB it is supposed to be a penalty. The guy had his hand on Allen's neck and his arm around his helmet. Penalty all day, every day. If it was Tom Brady there would have been ten yellow flags thrown in the air and probably a fine for the defender.

If one of our guys did that to an opposing QB I would also expect to see a flag and agree with the penalty.

Edited by MJS

1 minute ago, Jasovon said:

Dude you literally already agreed the league is biased against middling teams like the Bills because we don't have a superstar QB. 

You are saying that our owner should pay the refs...how silly is that ? And yes, superstars do get special treatment....that won't change soon...good teams overcome that...how come the Bears are having a good year without a star?...how did we manage to go to the playoffs last year ?...how come Green Bay isn't good this year with Rodgers at the helm?...

You are saying that our owner should pay the refs...how silly is that ? And yes, superstars do get special treatment....that won't change soon...good teams overcome that...how come the Bears are having a good year without a star?...how did we manage to go to the playoffs last year ?...how come Green Bay isn't good this year with Rodgers at the helm?...

I don't know how we start getting calls, "good teams overcome bad calls". I'm sick of hearing it. It won't change soon is no excuse. You agree it's a problem but are apathetic to discussing it, i'm not i'm fired up i don't care if it's always been that way it damn well shouldn't be.

9 minutes ago, Iron Maiden said:

Problem is he keeps telling Kim to call La Cosa Nostra and she keeps looking for it on Open Table

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

Penalties not called that would benefit the Bills is one thing (and yes a roughing the passer or PI could have been called).

What is inexcusable is the 13 penalties the Bills were called for and all were legit.

Undisciplined.

Yup

best to draft useful players and get them to execute better on Sundays

2 hours ago, Jasovon said:

Every season there are one or two games that we lose because of the biased and inconsistent officiating. I don't know what we need to do as a team, whether it's a new stadium or pegula putting some money in the right pockets but I am sick as a fan of our guys getting called to account for things that other teams do regularly. 

Don't come at me with any conspiracy theory nonsense, there are league darlings that can do whatever the hell they want and we need to figure out how we become one of those otherwise everything else we do as a team is utterly pointless.

I used to think it was league policy, punishing Ralph Wilson for his scathing letter after the "Just give it to 'em" game.  

But now?  Coleman and Hochuli hate the Bills.

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

the numerous hits to Allen's head that were not called were awful.   And despite the fact that Zay didn't catch the ball, the CB was all over him PRIOR TO the ball arriving.  Should have been PI.  Another missed call by this terrible officiating crew.  

Especially when they called roughing on Bush for a perfectly clean tackle. The NFL is becoming a bigger joke with its officiating.   Josh was hit twice in head on late drive

We have one of the smallest markets in the league. Revenue by us being good is not worth it. 

Only way to get  fair officiating is to move the team. 

Golden teams winning benefits the entire league.

It’s ***** ***** this league is rigged. 

7 minutes ago, La Jolla said:

We have one of the smallest markets in the league. Revenue by us being good is not worth it. 

Only way to get  fair officiating is to move the team. 

Golden teams winning benefits the entire league.

It’s ***** ***** this league is rigged. 

Yeah....sure....that's why the New York Jets have been a force to reckon with for years...same with the Chicago Bears.....those big cities have all the advantages.....that also explains why teams in small markets like the Green Bay Packers or the Kansas City Chiefs will never ever sniff the playoffs....smh....

2 hours ago, Iron Maiden said:

Maybe there's some truth to this, but I would also argue that good teams have less to overcome because they're not getting flagged for ticky tack plays left and right. 

7 minutes ago, Iron Maiden said:

Yeah....sure....that's why the New York Jets have been a force to reckon with for years...same with the Chicago Bears.....those big cities have all the advantages.....that also explains why teams in small markets like the Green Bay Packers or the Kansas City Chiefs will never ever sniff the playoffs....smh....

If a fact champ. 

Let’s try to stay on topic. 

1 minute ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Maybe there's some truth to this, but I would also argue that good teams have less to overcome because they're not getting flagged for ticky tack plays left and right. 

That's fair...but at one point,  KC was not " good "....they were able to overcome it...and now, will most likely have the benefit of the doubt on close calls....same story with the other dominant teams...NE and Pitt have been good for so long it's hard to really remember them as " up and coming "...but it applies to them too....despite what we read here, the tuck rule vs Oakland was the right call...stupid rule, but right call....

1 minute ago, La Jolla said:

If a fact champ. 

Let’s try to stay on topic. 

I completely destroy your argument.....and probably hurt your feeling....it's ok, I respect your right to be wrong....champ...lol...

4 hours ago, Jasovon said:

which would be fine if we got one or two games a season we shouldn't have won but the refs gave to us. It doesn't happen, the scales are not balanced.

To be fair, we haven’t lost thaaaaat many close games this year.

When a team gets a rep for continually picking up stupid penalties, the refs watch you a lot more closely.  And the more you complain, and even threaten as Hughes did, they're really out for you.  We're clearly in some difficulty here, especially when you see it two weeks in a row.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Bad officiating isn’t exclusive to the Bills. Every team deals with this.

I have to agree with this comment- most game i have watched i literally see more bad calls than good ones- it is clear that they expect certain things and try to spot it while missing many definitive calls.

4 hours ago, Jasovon said:

Every season there are one or two games that we lose because of the biased and inconsistent officiating. I don't know what we need to do as a team, whether it's a new stadium or pegula putting some money in the right pockets but I am sick as a fan of our guys getting called to account for things that other teams do regularly. 

Don't come at me with any conspiracy theory nonsense, there are league darlings that can do whatever the hell they want and we need to figure out how we become one of those otherwise everything else we do as a team is utterly pointless.

Not that I like, nor do I agree with every call I see, but the Bills bring much of this on themselves.  This is one of my major contentions with McD.  Rex's teams were undisciplined and he was supposed to bring a new culture.  I still see a lack of discipline from this group.  Too often they do not show maturity, nor professionalism. 

I thought the call they made against Phillips was a bit oversensitive.  The running back was upended and Phillips was celebrating a good play.  I don't think he was attempting to push the RBs foot, but got caught up.  They saw it differently.  What I did not like at all was Phillips clapping at the Miami sideline the very next play.  He should have gotten his 2nd unsportsmanlike and been ejected.  After the game Hughes confronts the refs in the hallways.  If what Hughes says is true, that does not excuse Hughes' reaction.  The league is going to investigate now anyway, why go to handle it personally?  What good comes from that?

If McD feels there is no tolerance for these types of demonstrations, then he need to back that up with consequences.  I hope he's serious and I hope he gets this under control, or moves players along that cannot control themselves.

52 minutes ago, Iron Maiden said:

That's fair...but at one point,  KC was not " good "....they were able to overcome it...and now, will most likely have the benefit of the doubt on close calls....same story with the other dominant teams...NE and Pitt have been good for so long it's hard to really remember them as " up and coming "...but it applies to them too....despite what we read here, the tuck rule vs Oakland was the right call...stupid rule, but right call....

I completely destroy your argument.....and probably hurt your feeling....it's ok, I respect your right to be wrong....champ...lol...

Topic is officiating not winning. Smh. 

Edited by La Jolla

27 minutes ago, La Jolla said:

Topic is officiating not winning. Smh. 

We have one of the smallest markets in the league. Revenue by us being good is not worth it."

Oh....you meant us being good .....without winning games.....sorry...should have caught that....lol...

10 minutes ago, Iron Maiden said:

We have one of the smallest markets in the league. Revenue by us being good is not worth it."

Oh....you meant us being good .....without winning games.....sorry...should have caught that....lol...

You will never win with people convinced every single play proves there is a conspiracy against their team....

just point them to the funny farm

Just now, row_33 said:

You will never win with people convinced every single play proves there is a conspiracy against their team....

just point them to the funny farm

You're right....What I don't get is why do these people still watch games....if they are convinced that the NFL will screw the Bills, why bother.....

4 hours ago, MattM said:

Off the top of my head, the Tuck Rule, the AFCCG vs the Colts that led to a new rule emphasis the following year, the 2007 Monday nighter against the Ravens where several suspect calls late in the 4th gave them the game (several Ravens got fined after that one for speaking their minds), a game around the same time vs Houston when Tommy Boy heaved a game ending pick, only to see a late flag even the announcers didn’t understand wipe it out,  the Saints game 2-3 years ago they won on a last play TD throw in which Solder was clearly holding the Saints pass rusher, and on and on, not ev3n counting our games against them.

i do recall them losing to the Panthers on a late iffy call 5-6 years ago, but not many others.....

don't forget the AFC Championship game gift vs Jags last year that nullified a fumble return for a TD that would have pretty much iced the game for Jax.

4 hours ago, Iron Maiden said:

when the league is full of parity most teams are not good enough to overcome that stuff.

1 hour ago, Iron Maiden said:

You're right....What I don't get is why do these people still watch games....if they are convinced that the NFL will screw the Bills, why bother.....

With each year fewer people are watching the NFL. Including Bill fans. Last I checked its really not entertaining watching refs throw 40 flags.

7 hours ago, mjt328 said:

There was nothing blatantly missed by the refs today.

Sometimes there are calls that can be considered the "gray area" - and unfortunately we had a bunch of those in the last couple drives of the game.

- The Milano pass interference was ticky-tacky.  But he DID use his body to impede the receiver's progress, before he turned to defend the ball.

- The Phillips personal foul was ticky-tacky.  But he DID forcefully throw the runner's foot to the ground, while mouthing off at the Dolphins sideline.

- On the sack, he didn't grab Allen's facemask or horse-collar him.  His neck and helmet got twisted, but it really wasn't due to an illegal grab by the defender.

go back to miami.