Would you rather be the 3-7 Bills or 3-7 Jags?

KingRex

Not only are things not perfect in Bills land, but the situation is not even good right now.  However, the great irony is that not only are a Bills team that made the playoffs last year in a clear rebuilding mode, but also even stranger, a team which went so deep in the NFL playoffs last year looks even worse.

For me it harkens back to a comment a Dallas Cowboy made when he was asked by the press in a pre-Super Bowl media scrum. whether the upcoming SB was the most important day of his life.

He replied, "If the game is so important, why do they play it again next year? (Was it Duane Thomas or Hollywood Henderson?).

At any rate, the worst to first possibilities do make the NFL interesting (in an adrenaline kind of way) but I must admit I miss the good old days when "the process" demanded a few years to make it work (and conversely a few years of correctable bad moves or unlucky injuries to see it fall apart.

rather be the Bills,  for one simple reason,  we dont have Bortles.

sure we dont have a proven franchise QB,   but the Jags dont either,  and theyve had their QB longer and it looks as if he isnt the guy so they will have to start all over again.

jury is still out on Allen,  but the window isnt closing on him like it has on Bortles.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Jags are a financial disaster and a cautionary tale about about mortgaging the future to "win now" (if you're still part of the group that hasn't learned that from the Whaley years). They have 41 players under contract next year and they are still $15-$20M over next year's estimated cap. Players like Dareus, Gipson, and Church have to be released just to get them close. They are stuck with Bortles for one more year at a cap hit of $21M. They took their shot and missed, now they will be paying the price. Some schadenfreude for Marrone.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, QCity said:

The Jags are a financial disaster and a cautionary tale about about mortgaging the future to "win now" (if you're still part of the group that hasn't learned that from the Whaley years). They have 41 players under contract next year and they are still $15-$20M over next year's estimated cap. Players like Dareus, Gipson, and Church have to be released just to get them close. They are stuck with Bortles for one more year at a cap hit of $21M. They took their shot and missed, now they will be paying the price. Some schadenfreude for Marrone.

What’s the cautionary tale exactly? At least they took their shot. They went to the AFC Championship game. Thats a huge step for a franchise that couldnt win more than 5 games in a season for a decade. 

We have all the cap space in the world and are still chasing our tail. 

Id still want to be the Bills bc at least our fans show up. 

Edited by bobobonators
  • Like (+1) 1

Jags times one billion.  They have so much more talent than the Bills, it's outrageous.

36 minutes ago, KingRex said:

Not only are things not perfect in Bills land, but the situation is not even good right now.  However, the great irony is that not only are a Bills team that made the playoffs last year in a clear rebuilding mode, but also even stranger, a team which went so deep in the NFL playoffs last year looks even worse.

For me it harkens back to a comment a Dallas Cowboy made when he was asked by the press in a pre-Super Bowl media scrum. whether the upcoming SB was the most important day of his life.

He replied, "If the game is so important, why do they play it again next year? (Was it Duane Thomas or Hollywood Henderson?).

At any rate, the worst to first possibilities do make the NFL interesting (in an adrenaline kind of way) but I must admit I miss the good old days when "the process" demanded a few years to make it work (and conversely a few years of correctable bad moves or unlucky injuries to see it fall apart.

How could they look worse at the same record?  How many 50 point losses do they have?

27 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

rather be the Bills,  for one simple reason,  we dont have Bortles.

sure we dont have a proven franchise QB,   but the Jags dont either,  and theyve had their QB longer and it looks as if he isnt the guy so they will have to start all over again.

jury is still out on Allen,  but the window isnt closing on him like it has on Bortles.

Allen's window isn't open yet.

Someone tell me why the Jags can't draft Justin Herbert in the top 10 this year, have an open QB competition, and be able to run the ball all year with a healthy Fournette?

Going into 2019 you would rather be Buffalo.  Jacksonville's defense is more talented then Buffalo's, but Buffalo is getting similar production out of their defense for 40 cents to the dollar compared to Jacksonville.  Buffalos cap is significant.  Who does Buffalo bring in?  But seems to me Jacksonville may crash and burn.  

8 minutes ago, klos63 said:

crappy choices. I'll pass.

Serious thread?  7-7 is much better than 3-11.

I feel like 7-7 would be better but I think you would be surprised at how other people feel. There are lots of people that feel like 9-7 still won’t be good enough to get in and that they would rather have the higher pick

Rather be Buffalo. If we play it smart we can fix the OL no problem and we will have plenty of cap to sign LeVeon Bell. Our offense truly needs a superstar. We have no QB to pay. By the time we begin contract talks with Allen (if he even makes it that far), Bell's contract would be up. That definitely makes our offense decent. Hopefully Zay continues to grow. Definitely sign a few veterans at WR as well like Tavon Austin and John Brown. Aggressively trade down and draft 4-5 linemen.

Edited by NewDayBills

Just now, BringBackOrton said:

You wouldn’t want to be a team that’s supposed to be good?

No I'd rather be a team that's expected to be bad this year to get better next year than a team that was supposed to be great but is playing terrible and they have to figure out a way to fix it with their cap basically already spent.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

No I'd rather be a team that's expected to be bad this year to get better next year than a team that was supposed to be great but is playing terrible and they have to figure out a way to fix it with their cap basically already spent.

The Jags have their cap spent because they have a ton of talent. It’s easy to fix a talented roster almost over night. It’s less easy to make a bad roster into a good one over night.

Edited by BringBackOrton

13 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I feel like 7-7 would be better but I think you would be surprised at how other people feel. There are lots of people that feel like 9-7 still won’t be good enough to get in and that they would rather have the higher pick

I get it, but 7-7 means that they are already on a good path and still have a ton of money and draft picks and won't be losing any significant free agents -- and if it's because of QB play, it would mean genuine hope we found the guy to build the offense around. 3-11 would mean we lost to a lot of bad teams, mostly at home. I'd rather have the hope and a mid-to-late draft pick (particularly given their seeming recent success with getting top ten talent later in the round) than a complete mess and a high pick in a meh draft.

5 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

I get it, but 7-7 means that they are already on a good path and still have a ton of money and draft picks and won't be losing any significant free agents -- and if it's because of QB play, it would mean genuine hope we found the guy to build the offense around. 3-11 would mean we lost to a lot of bad teams, mostly at home. I'd rather have the hope and a mid-to-late draft pick (particularly given their seeming recent success with getting top ten talent later in the round) than a complete mess and a high pick in a meh draft.

I want the Bills to win every game. I’m the last guy you have to convince. All I want is the season to be as long as possible. I just want them to keep winning so we have a season for 1 more week. Even if 9-7 ends up not getting us in, I want the bills to win every game

40 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Jags times one billion.  They have so much more talent than the Bills, it's outrageous.

How could they look worse at the same record?  How many 50 point losses do they have?

Allen's window isn't open yet.

Someone tell me why the Jags can't draft Justin Herbert in the top 10 this year, have an open QB competition, and be able to run the ball all year with a healthy Fournette?

Jags have more talent this year, but we have a much better outlook for the future. Bills will have more talent than them next year. They are most likely going to have to release a bunch of players and start a rebuild next year. They also are not in a good position to get a QB in the draft, especially if they win today.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, billspro said:

Jags have more talent this year, but we have a much better outlook for the future. Bills will have more talent than them next year. They are most likely going to have to release a bunch of players and start a rebuild next year. They also are not in a good position to get a QB in the draft, especially if they win today.

The Bills will NOT have more talent than the Jags next year. Zero point zero chance. I think every single starter they have is better than every single starter we do.

If the Jags finish with a top 10 pick, they have a good chance of getting a QB in the draft. The Bills somehow managed with pick #21. 

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

The Jags have their cap spent because they have a ton of talent. It’s easy to fix a talented roster almost over night. It’s less easy to make a bad roster into a good one over night.

There is nothing easy about fixing a roster without a QB

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Yeah it must be super easy for them to fix the problem over night that's why there on a 6 game losing streak. The Bills don't seem to be that far off from whatever plan they had this season and are poised to pick up talent for the next. The Jags are in the exact opposite place they wanted to be this season and I don't see how it's easy to shuffle around that roster to fix their problems next year with so little space to do it.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

The Bills will NOT have more talent than the Jags next year. Zero point zero chance. I think every single starter they have is better than every single starter we do.

If the Jags finish with a top 10 pick, they have a good chance of getting a QB in the draft. The Bills somehow managed with pick #21. 

You’re overrating them, we will probably win today. 

Our first and second year players have played great, we will add 4 starters in free agency, and Beane will hit on his first two picks. Jags will probably have to release 4 starters next year.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

You think the jags defense is better than ours at every postion? I think our entire backfield is better and our lbs are at least equal. But you might have speaking in hyperbole.

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

And those people will never learn ;it’s more about the ones doing the picking rather than the draft slot. 

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

You think the jags defense is better than ours at every postion? I think our entire backfield is better and our lbs are at least equal. But you might have speaking in hyperbole.

Or possibly in troll, though at least he's not as bad as the dude who decided Josh Allen was just as terrible as Nate Peterman and then went into another thread to bash the Sabres and call hockey bush league.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Bills.  Jags are cash strapped til 2021 and all in on winning the next 3 seasons.......and they’re 3-7. A lame duck quitter leading them to that 3-7 record and cost them a SB appearance by playing scared.  10 picks, 85mill in cap space, qb on a rookie contract and already better than their $22 mill QB to go with a very solid defense.

• Like (+1) 4

I'm going to say the Bills for a few reasons, but this is a good question.

1 - The wheels seem to be falling off for the defense and they are getting rid of some of the players that were thought to be the future

2 - HC seems to be a lame duck right now as is the entire coaching staff

3 - They play in a city where the fans are usually non-existant

4 - The owner could move the team at any time and seems like he might eventually

5 - They don't have the high potentials on offense like we do, even though we don't even know what we have

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I wouldn't be surprised at all, it's ridiculous though. Just because some people think we weren't 'supposed' to be good for a couple more years, they don't want to be good now. As if getting better sooner will hurt the future of the team. Would they feel better about the Sabres if we were just at .500 right now, because we weren't expected to be this good yet?

46 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

If you really believe that you should stop thinking.  You are really stretching things here.

Bills by a mile... Jax has the most expensive active roster in the league, Bills have the cheapest.

Jax - 187million

Bufffalo - 122 million

65 million dollar difference! And we have the exact same record. I'd rather be the Bills and it's not even close , our futures are going in the opposite directions.. 

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills are basically in the same position the Jaguars were 4 years ago.

2014 was their second season under Head Coach Gas Bradley.  They just drafted a rookie QB (Blake Bortles) at #3 overall.  Instead of being big spenders in Free Agency, the offseason was about trading away veterans for draft picks and clearing cap space.  Sound familiar?

Over the last 3-4 seasons, the Jaguars have done a pretty good job of building up their defense.  But they have done a below-average job at building up the offense, and Bortles has been one of the most inconsistent QBs in the NFL (he's basically a younger version of Ryan Fitzpatrick).  They had a decent run in 2017  (10-6 record and advancing to the AFC Championship).  But it wasn't sustainable.  Overall, their rebuild has failed, and you can pretty much count on them starting the process over again next year.  Don't get me wrong.  There was nothing wrong with Jacksonville's overall strategy.  They just didn't do a good enough job of picking players.  And their choice for franchise QB is a bust. 

So which team would I rather be right now?  Only a fool would say Jacksonville.  Buffalo has a 1-2 year head-start.

The Bills are an unknown.  Sure, their rebuild could go down the same road as the Jags.  But it could go the same direction as the Rams. 

The Jaguars are going to be starting from scratch in 2019, and will be forced to dismantle most of the defense before they are in a place to compete again.

• Like (+1) 3

51 minutes ago, billspro said:

There is nothing easy about fixing a roster without a QB

I hate to break it to you, but we don't have a QB either.

49 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Yeah it must be super easy for them to fix the problem over night that's why there on a 6 game losing streak. The Bills don't seem to be that far off from whatever plan they had this season and are poised to pick up talent for the next. The Jags are in the exact opposite place they wanted to be this season and I don't see how it's easy to shuffle around that roster to fix their problems next year with so little space to do it.

The Bills planned on losing, so they are what?  Better at losing?

47 minutes ago, billspro said:

You’re overrating them, we will probably win today. 

Our first and second year players have played great, we will add 4 starters in free agency, and Beane will hit on his first two picks. Jags will probably have to release 4 starters next year.

What 4 starters will they have to release?  

25 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

No.

Telvin Smith and Myles Jack are better LB's than anyone we have.  AJ Bouye and Jalen are better than Tre and ?.  Calais Campbell is better than every DL we have.  Their pass rush is better.  Their OL is better. Their RB's are better and younger.  Their WR's are better.  Their QB is better.

You may have an argument for FS/SS.  But that's it.

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

If you really believe that you should stop thinking.  You are really stretching things here.

See above babe.

Edited by BringBackOrton
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

I hate to break it to you, but we don't have a QB either.

The Bills planned on losing, so they are what?  Better at losing?

What 4 starters will they have to release?  

No.

Telvin Smith and Myles Jack are better LB's than anyone we have.  AJ Bouye and Jalen are better than Tre and ?.  Calais Campbell is better than every DL we have.  Their pass rush is better.  Their OL is better. Their RB's are better and younger.  Their WR's are better.  Their QB is better.

You may have an argument for FS/SS.  But that's it.

See above babe.

So you think that mcclappy is that much better than marrone that he can take a lesser team at every position and still win a game? Damn i like him but nothing near what you do.