Adrian Peterson--How is this POS still in the NFL today?

Mr. WEO

2 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

No you didnt.

The dude reads what he wants to get out of words. Helps him feel like he's advancing his argument misconstruing what anybody says.

So basically illiterate

1 hour ago, BringBackOrton said:

Prove that what AP said in the story you posted in the OP isn't about the occasional swat.  

He'd have to read it critically first. Fill in a 9th grade bubble sheet test on it, and get back to you ?. He didn't do too well first go around.

5 hours ago, buffalo2218 said:

Ok here’s the problem I have, and it’s not Adrian Peterson I have the problem with. The problem I have is the people complaining about spanking a child. Ok, I got spanked with a belt, switch, toy race car track, just about whatever. Now the extent of what Peterson’s tactics were the first time was way too much. But as far as using a belt? I have zero issues with it. 

Because it seems to me that not using a belt today is part of the problem: Growing up, I never saw or even heard of kids killing other kids and teachers in school, how many times has that happened recently? There’s what’s called right to parent in the law itself. I don’t in any way advocate child abuse, using a belt is not the same. 

But back to Peterson, I don’t have any issues with him using a belt for corporal punishment, but the line is drawn there.

I appreciate your honesty.  Just knowing the research of the negative long term effects of such an act I used light spankings of my two kids until they turned six and then grounded them and made them do manual labor all the way through their teenage years.  It was a strong enough deterrent to stop the behavior.  My father did the same and he always told me not to punish your child while you're in a fit of rage because that's when they go to the hospital.

• Like (+1) 1

I actually agree with WEO on the principle of discipling children physically but, within the bounds of reasonableness, I think the way people parent is a deeply personal choice. 

That said Adrian Peterson is someone who has proven he doesn't understand the bounds of reasonableness previously. What I would say is Peterson's son obviously isn't being taught anything because even though he has been physically assaulted for bad behaviour by his dad he is still behaving badly and is now getting belted. And that is the crux of my issue with physically disciplining children - more often that not it is in the absence of educating them. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I actually agree with WEO on the principle of discipling children physically but, within the bounds of reasonableness, I think the way people parent is a deeply personal choice. 

That said Adrian Peterson is someone who has proven he doesn't understand the bounds of reasonableness previously. What I would say is Peterson's son obviously isn't being taught anything because even though he has been physically assaulted for bad behaviour by his dad he is still behaving badly and is now getting belted. And that is the crux of my issue with physically disciplining children - more often that not it is in the absence of educating them. 

I'd have to agree with this wherever you find yourself on the corporal punishment debate Adrian Peterson has proven himself to be a poor judge of its use.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Avisan said:

No, but there is boatloads of evidence that non-physical discipline has better outcomes in a variety of categories

On the flip side there isn't a whole lot of research into any downsides of avoiding physical discipline, since that angle hasn't been much of a target of study

Given nature's disciplinary response across mammals usually involves nips/swats/etc., and despite our cognition we're mostly just animals, I would be surprised if there were zero positive benefit.  It likely would have weeded itself out if physical feedback were only harmful.  Beyond that, kids under a certain age literally cannot be reasoned with because they lack the necessary cognitive development for it.

If physical discipline is your go-to/something you enjoy, however, you're almost definitely just messing up your kids

Mammals dont use tools to inflict harm. If the child cant understand reason the child wont understand why their parent is hurting them.

You cant defend this. Its child abuse. End of story. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Mammals dont use tools to inflict harm. If the child cant understand reason the child wont understand why their parent is hurting them.

You cant defend this. Its child abuse. End of story. 

Pretty sure you didn't actually read/digest my post(s), like at all

Honestly.   This is a private matter that there are a wide range of attitudes on.  Do I hit my kids no.   Do I think it's right to do it. No.  Do I think I am high and mighty enough to judge people I dont know on how they treat their kids.  No. 

9 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Well appearantly you dont read very well because I said I wonder.  I can actually decipher your political party by your behavior.  Its a shame you helped re-elect Cuomo.  You are also an exstremely unbalanced individual because you started getting upset and formulating your response before you finished reading or you would have seen that I didnt say I used a switch on my kids and you wouldnt infere that i concluded they hadnt been beaten.  This thing getting heated is exactly why this content doesnt belong here.

I do believe there is such a thing as abuse and I also believe that when possible, reinforcement is a more effective tool.  I heard that somewhere.  Oh wait,  It was when I was taking Psychology in college.  Youre probably picking an argument with someone that you shouldnt on the subject.

You sir have some amazing powers there. You can decipher voting patterns based on what one considers abuse to a child? Do me a favor and toss your bones and let me know what numbers I should play.

Now myself, having "known" WEO for years would guess that he's voted with you as much as against you.  If I were backed into a corner I would guess he's voted with you more often.  None of that matters to the topic at hand and why on god's green earth you decided to include it is beyond my powers of comprehension.  

There is a line between abuse and strict parenting.  That line differs from person to person. If the "collective" you are not concerned about a man who once beat his kid bloody & is now admitting to belting that same kid then I don't know what to tell you.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, eball said:

Isn’t there boatloads of evidence out there that “physically” disciplining children has no beneficial effect whatsoever?

Yes, but some people like to trust "instinct" over evidence.

2 hours ago, H2o said:

See the hair? 

What's the relevance?  Does your statement carry more impact with it than without? To me, no, it does not.  That makes it unnecessary.  Would you just as easily type white woman as opposed to blond?

Edited by Cripple Creek

1 minute ago, Cripple Creek said:

What's the relevance?  Is your statement carry more impact with it than without? To me, no, it does not.  That makes it unnecessary; I wonder if possibly it was meant to incite white folk against a black man who would dare touch a white woman.

I see where you are going but I honestly don't think that is what H2o meant. I think it was just a descriptive term, I don't think it was intended to carry any insinuation with it.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, eball said:

Isn’t there boatloads of evidence out there that “physically” disciplining children has no beneficial effect whatsoever?

I'm curious as what this evidence consists of.  Did they follow children who were spanked vs. those who weren't to see what kind of adults they grew up to be?

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I see where you are going but I honestly don't think that is what H2o meant. I think it was just a descriptive term, I don't think it was intended to carry any insinuation with it.

I'll retract because I agree and I'm poor with words...but my guess it that's why the questions arose.

9 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I actually dont have a party.  Thats why I like Trump the repubs dont like him and the dems dont like him and liberals are to stupid to realise that none of the polotitions liking him shows you he is for the people not the government.  If you read all my post you would see that I prefer reinforcement and Im actually educated on the subject.  You suffer from so many cognitive distortions it isnt even funny.  Youre not trying to understand what my view point is or why I may believe what I believe.  Youre to busy trying to argue with a person that is educated on the subject.  You dont care what the truth is you just want to be the one thats right.  Find the truth and then youll be right.

I didnt read anywhere where he said he constantly beats the hell out of his kid.

What he did in the past is the past.  Let go Mr. Perfect.

You spell realize like a Canadian.

2 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I'm curious as what this evidence consists of.  Did they follow children who were spanked vs. those who weren't to see what kind of adults they grew up to be?

The general gist of the behavioural research I have seen (which does ask research both the parents and the children) and I have seen one from one of the Scottish Universities (I think it was Strathclyde but I might be wrong) and one from the US - pretty sure that was Michigan - suggests that physically disciplining children can lead to them using aggression and physical responses to difficult situations later in life and found no evidence that suggested it achieved any improved outcomes.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

The general gist of the behavioural research I have seen (which does ask research both the parents and the children) and I have seen one from one of the Scottish Universities (I think it was Strathclyde but I might be wrong) and one from the US - pretty sure that was Michigan - suggests that physically disciplining children can lead to them using aggression and physical responses to difficult situations later in life and found no evidence that suggested it achieved any improved outcomes.

OK, thanks......it just seems very complex to me. In some circumstances I would think that aggression and physical responses may be necessary later in life.

Responses in this thread are pathetic. If somebody wants to physically punish a child and it’s within the law that’s a choice. People that want to start throwing in the “back in my day” “school shootings” “cell phones zombies”. If kids were only beaten more we wouldn’t have these things......

Go to a bar and cry to somebody about the glory days. Maybe you can talk about how well adjusted you are based on your mutual beating stories and how they made you the man you are today. 

Edited by KzooMike
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

We don’t punish people for not following the evidence du jour. At least, not in America.

35 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

What's the relevance?  Does your statement carry more impact with it than without? To me, no, it does not.  That makes it unnecessary.  Would you just as easily type white woman as opposed to blond?

It was in reference to the girl in general. The reason any of you are harping on the fact that I said blonde in the original statement instead of just saying woman is beyond anal. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Well appearantly you dont read very well because I said I wonder.  I can actually decipher your political party by your behavior. Its a shame you helped re-elect Cuomo.  You are also an exstremely unbalanced individual because you started getting upset and formulating your response before you finished reading or you would have seen that I didnt say I used a switch on my kids and you wouldnt infere that i concluded they hadnt been beaten.  This thing getting heated is exactly why this content doesnt belong here.

I do believe there is such a thing as abuse and I also believe that when possible, reinforcement is a more effective tool.  I heard that somewhere.  Oh wait,  It was when I was taking Psychology in college.  Youre probably picking an argument with someone that you shouldnt on the subject.

Why did you come to the conclusion that WEO voted for Cuomo? And what is the relevancy if he did or did not? WEO has posted on this board for quite a while. I don't know what his political leanings are but if I had a guess it would be as an independent. It seems to me that he is more non-ideological and less rigid in his thinking than many are. 

47 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

people love to get their piss all hot by what the media quotes someone as saying.

i can't trust 90% of what i see and hear with my own eyeballs in work and home and the subway ride between

This may be the first thread that I’ve ever read all of the posts in. It’s been an interesting discussion.

On the topic, I agree with Weo’s point. AP has no business in this league. If you are suspended for drugs and you get busted for drugs again, you get suspended a second time (and more severely). Why would he continue hitting his kid with a belt? Regardless of where you stand on discipline we can all agree that it CAN be interpreted as abuse. At the very least AP is a moron and at worst he’s a criminal. He was already punished for child abuse. Clearly, he didn’t learn a lesson if he still believes that a belt is an acceptable form of discipline.  He’s a terrible parent. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, H2o said:

It was in reference to the girl in general. The reason any of you are harping on the fact that I said blonde in the original statement instead of just saying woman is beyond anal. 

Im fine giving benefit of the doubt but maybe a learning experience? The history of our country protecting white women from young black men isn’t particularly good. Throwing in blonde instead of woman creates connotations that a huge number will read whether you meant them or not

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

Im fine giving benefit of the doubt but maybe a learning experience? The history of our country protecting white women from young black men isn’t particularly good. Throwing in blonde instead of woman creates connotations that a huge number will read whether you meant them or not

Yeah but the connotations of “beat bloody” versus “spanked” are Gucci as long as it promotes cyber lynching.

10 hours ago, WhoTom said:

False dichotomy. Lack of beating is not the same as spoiling. It's possible, and more effective, to discipline a child without hitting them.

I am NOT defending it at all! I’m just saying that depending upon when are where you grew upo, you might have grown up with different models of parenting. My wife and I both experienced “more than words”. Different times.  I just literally tapped one of my boys on the arm once, and that was because he almost caused a car accident. But I STILL remember the shocked look on his face.