Adrian Peterson--How is this POS still in the NFL today?

Mr. WEO

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

I saw my father do it on my sister, and my wife reports it was part of her father’s repertoire. All  turned out great. Spoiling kids is a worse offense as a parent IMO. 

So "spoiling" is worse than punishing with physical pain?  You haven't considered that everyone "turned out OK" for reasons other than corporal punishment?  Did the ones who didn't turn out ok not get belted enough?

I thought this thread would elicit responses about whether AP deserves to be in the league based on his latest admission (and that it was proof he's an inveterate moron).  Instead there's a majority responses condoning AP's latest admission.

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 1

Normally, I would say that the belt(used reasonably) is a common punishment, or at least was in the past and alone would not be a big deal.      Coming from AP who did go way to far in beating a child, it is a little concerning.    Not to say that we should automatically assume that it was as bad as the incident a few years ago, but based on the track record a little more worth looking into then it would have been for an average family.

Edited by dgrochester55

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

So "spoiling" is worse than punishing with physical pain?  

I thought this thread would elicit responses about whether AP deserves to be in the league based on his latest admission (and that it was proof he's an inveterate moron).  Instead there's a majority responses condoning AP's latest admission.

Yeah, we come at this from different points of view, maybe. But yes, spoiling can be far worse than a  slap. The spank can invoke a little fear and respect. My kids went to school with kids who got new cars with bows on the on their 16th birthday in the car line at high school. My kids also went to more funerals than I could have ever imagined.  

Edited by Augie

Just now, Augie said:

Yeah, we come at this from different points of view, maybe. But yes, spoiling can be far worse than a  slap. The spank can invoke a little fear and respect. My kids went to school with kids who got new cars with bows on the on their 16th birthday in the car line at high school. My kids also went to more funerals than was imaginable. 

This thread isn't about a little spank from AP.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/21/adrian-peterson-admits-he-still-hits-his-son-with-a-belt/

He has now admitted he has violated the terms of his reinstatement---leaving aside, if you can, the fact that he still beats his son.

He is no man.

Will we here from the owners about this or are they still worried about the National Anthem?

This is the worst human in the NFL right now.  He needs sock full of doorknobs therapy.

I used to have to go and pick my own switch.  People like you are why the USA has gone to *****.  Thankfully a spanking isnt as bad as prison.  His son will realise that there are consequences.  Now if he is doing it for no reason or out of anger then that is abuse.

I wonder how many of these kids that shoot up schools were spanked when they misbehaved?

Just now, Augie said:

There is a line, but that line is fuzzy and has changed over time. And his son isn’t dead. 

His son is alive because his father has beaten him with sticks and now a belt?

That's a novel concept.  

The line for corporal punishment certainly has gotten less fuzzy over time (TBD not withstanding).  

1 minute ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I used to have to go and pick my own switch.  People like you are why the USA has gone to *****.  Thankfully a spanking isnt as bad as prison.  His son will realise that there are consequences.  Now if he is doing it for no reason or out of anger then that is abuse.

I wonder how many of these kids that shoot up schools were spanked when they misbehaved?

How young was your child when you started with the switch?  

How do know the kids who shoot up schools weren't beaten regularly?  How did you conclude they were not?

People like me, huh.....?

53 minutes ago, MJS said:

Eh, I don't think spanking works either. I have two young kids and we have tried spanking and we have tried time outs. Both seem to just antagonize them and make them afraid / angry at us. They don't really learn a lesson.

The thing that works best for us is removing the kid from the situation and sitting down with them and talking with them (kind of like what we do when we have conflicts with adults).

I think doing both is important.  Its a mistake to not clearly explain to a child specifically why something is wrong and sometimes how actions and behaviors may affect them and others.  The old because I said so doesnt work.  Sometimes doing the same thing works effectively except in the case of violence ironically.

Unbelievable people in 2018 are defending this practice.  How you can hit your own child is disgusting.  How can you look in your child's eyes after beating them? You should all be ashamed of yourselves. You are sick and depraved. You and your ilk are not fit to be parents. You belong in prison where the inmates know exactly how to treat child abusers. AP should be kicked out of the league today.  And the defenders of this POS should be kicked off this board.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

That's a novel concept.  

The line for corporal punishment certainly has gotten less fuzzy over time (TBD not withstanding).  

You totally miss the concept. Discipline may avoid dangerous options. A thousand other factors come into play.  My kids have been to too many funerals, and most were because the kids lacked fear of consequences. They got in over their heads. They let anxiety or depression gets the better of them. A little discipline now may help down the road. I do NOT advocate abuse, but adequate discipline is just fine. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

So "spoiling" is worse than punishing with physical pain?  You haven't considered that everyone "turned out OK" for reasons other than corporal punishment?  Did the ones who didn't turn out ok not get belted enough?

I have a view somewhere in between of this, I was born in the late 70's and most people in my generation and the baby boomers above got a spankin, or the belt, the switch etc.. when doing something wrong."  Some parents went too far and when kids talked on the playground most tended to know the difference between getting a spanking for being disruptive at a restaurant or church  and the kid that always missed school for falling down the stairs once or twice a month.  

Now it is too far on the other side.  Many put their two year olds in front of a tablet, plug them in and cater to their every need.  When they are 18, and are not capable of anything and they wonder why.    Those kids turn out unable to deal with life when they get older.   Any site search on how the first group of kids to grow up with the internet for their entire life shows this.    Discipline of some sort is needed.  How that is done is up for debate.

There has to be a way where talking and educating comes first but physical discipline is there as a last resort.

Either way, after seeing those pictures of AP's kid from a few years back, I would never trust him as a source on this subject.

Edited by dgrochester55
  • Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

That's a novel concept.  

How young was your child when you started with the switch?  

How do know the kids who shoot up schools weren't beaten regularly?  How did you conclude they were not?

People like me, huh.....?

Well appearantly you dont read very well because I said I wonder.  I can actually decipher your political party by your behavior.  Its a shame you helped re-elect Cuomo.  You are also an exstremely unbalanced individual because you started getting upset and formulating your response before you finished reading or you would have seen that I didnt say I used a switch on my kids and you wouldnt infere that i concluded they hadnt been beaten.  This thing getting heated is exactly why this content doesnt belong here.

I do believe there is such a thing as abuse and I also believe that when possible, reinforcement is a more effective tool.  I heard that somewhere.  Oh wait,  It was when I was taking Psychology in college.  Youre probably picking an argument with someone that you shouldnt on the subject.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Augie said:

You totally miss the concept. Discipline may avoid dangerous options. A thousand other factors come into play.  My kids have been to too many funerals, and most were because the kids lacked fear of consequences. They got in over their heads. They let anxiety or depression gets the better of them. A little discipline now may help down the road. I do NOT advocate abuse, but adequate discipline is just fine. 

There is discipline other than taking your belt off, you know.  

I don't see where putting the belt to a kid (let's forget for a minute it was a 4 year old) will prevent "anxiety and depression get the better of them".

You can't simply smack mental illness out of someone.  

Just now, formerlyofCtown said:

Well appearantly you dont read very well because I said I wonder.  I can actually decipher your political party by your behavior.  Its a shame you helped re-elect Cuomo.  You are also an exstremely unbalanced individual because you started getting upset and formulating your response before you finished reading or you would have seen that I didnt say I used a switch on my kids and you wouldnt infere that i concluded they hadnt been beaten.  This thing getting heated is exactly why this content doesnt belong here.

I don't belong to a political party---I think belonging to a party is an admission that you can't think or make adult decisions on your own.  Re-elect Cuomo?  LOL, good one.  He's a crook like the rest.  

I read you very well, but the way.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

There is discipline other than taking your belt off, you know.  

I don't see where putting the belt to a kid (let's forget for a minute it was a 4 year old) will prevent "anxiety and depression get the better of them".

You can't simply smack mental illness out of someone.  

I don't belong to a political party---I think belonging to a party is an admission that you can't think or make adult decisions on your own.  Re-elect Cuomo?  LOL, good one.  He's a crook like the rest.  

I read you very well, but the way.  

No you didnt.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'm still trying to figure out why people beat their kids with an object like a belt or stick?

I'm not averse to spanking children (I spanked my children, mildly), but when you start using weapons...it seems to be taking it all into a weird sadistic scene.

Edited by OJ Tom

Just now, formerlyofCtown said:

No you didnt.

But you've given away your party affiliation.  Tell me, how often do you think your party leader was belted as a child? 

But your suggestion that belting your kids will possibly keep them out of "prison" is some real fantasy stuff.

2 minutes ago, OJ Tom said:

I'm still trying to figure out why people beat their kids with an object like a belt or stick?

I'm not averse to spanking children (I spanked my children, mildly), but when you start using weapons...it seems to be taking it all into a weird sadistic scene.

To keep them alive, out of jail and free of mental illness, by all accounts.

And it must have superior prophylactic results to a slap on the butt.

2 minutes ago, JinxedBill1 said:

I asked AP's son how he was able to still be doing all of this.

AP's son stated "Beats me."  LOL ok I'll see my way out...

Oh man!

1 minute ago, OJ Tom said:

I'm still trying to figure out why people beat their kids with object like belts and sticks?

Crazy thought, but my mom used to swat me with a spatula, but I knew it was coming so I’d put on a half dozen pair of underwear!

I only once swatted one of my children. He was in the backseat, reached up front distracting ME, the driver, and I smacked his arm. That's decades ago, and I still vividly remember the look of shock on his face. He learned. That’s a good thing. AMAZING young man. 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

Crazy thought, but my mom used to swat me with a spatula, but I knew it was coming so I’d put on a half dozen pair of underwear!

I only once swatted one of my children. He was in the backseat, reached up front distracting ME, the driver, and I smacked his arm. That's decades ago, and I still vividly remember the look of shock on his face. He learned. That’s a good thing. AMAZING young man. 

But that's not what we are talking about with AP.  

This isn't about the occasional swat.

Just now, Augie said:

I always thought of it more as a mild embarrassment, than about inflicting pain on the child. Just a quick pointed message of "there are consequences for poor behavior or judgement". 

• Thank you (+1) 1

My parents spanked me, and explained why it hurt them to do so and that they did it to love me and teach me consequences.

when I was 5, I refused to be obedient (against many warnings) and I got belted by my mom (with dads belt, ironically) and it’s one of the most fundamental basis of understanding of consequences and choice making that I have ever learned. 

Multiple times when I was a mouthy young man (pre-teens) I would take advantage of my dads hearing loss and utter disrespectful things under my breath- I remember a couple times that I said it a bit to loudly and he slapped me across the face -not to wound me, as my dad is a giant who could have knocked me out, but to warn me and teach me. When I think of respect, I think of this.

Corporal punishment was definitely appropriate in my case, but I’m sure it’s a matter of circumstances. Intent is always key.

Its stupid to imply that anyone who disciplines their children is an abuser- it’s a lie and it marginalizes true abuse.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

My parents spanked me, and explained why it hurt them to do so and that they did it to love me and teach me consequences.

when I was 5, I refused to be obedient (against many warnings) and I got belted by my mom (with dads belt, ironically) and it’s one of the most fundamental basis of understanding of consequences and choice making that I have ever learned. 

Multiple times when I was a mouthy young man (pre-teens) I would take advantage of my dads hearing loss and utter disrespectful things under my breath- I remember a couple times that I said it a bit to loudly and he slapped me across the face -not to wound me, as my dad is a giant who could have knocked me out, but to warn me and teach me. When I think of respect, I think of this.

Corporal punishment was definitely appropriate in my case, but I’m sure it’s a matter of circumstances. Intent is always key.

Its stupid to imply that anyone who disciplines their children is an abuser- it’s a lie and it marginalizes true abuse.

Maybe you wouldn't have needed it more than once if he had only tied you to a tree and whipped your naked body with a stick...you know, right from the start. Think of the man you COULD have been?

Edited by OJ Tom

18 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

But you've given away your party affiliation.  Tell me, how often do you think your party leader was belted as a child? 

But your suggestion that belting your kids will possibly keep them out of "prison" is some real fantasy stuff.

To keep them alive, out of jail and free of mental illness, by all accounts.

And it must have superior prophylactic results to a slap on the butt.

Oh man!

I actually dont have a party.  Thats why I like Trump the repubs dont like him and the dems dont like him and liberals are to stupid to realise that none of the polotitions liking him shows you he is for the people not the government.  If you read all my post you would see that I prefer reinforcement and Im actually educated on the subject.  You suffer from so many cognitive distortions it isnt even funny.  Youre not trying to understand what my view point is or why I may believe what I believe.  Youre to busy trying to argue with a person that is educated on the subject.  You dont care what the truth is you just want to be the one thats right.  Find the truth and then youll be right.

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I didnt read anywhere where he said he constantly beats the hell out of his kid.

What he did in the past is the past.  Let go Mr. Perfect.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

3 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I actually dont have a party.  Thats why I like Trump the repubs dont like him and the dems dont like him and liberals are to stupid to realise that none of the polotitions liking him shows you he is for the people not the government.  If you read all my post you would see that I prefer reinforcement and Im actually educated on the subject.  You suffer from so many cognitive distortions it isnt even funny.  Youre not trying to understand what my view point is or why I may believe what I believe.  Youre to busy trying to argue with a person that is educated on the subject.  You dont care what the truth is you just want to be the one thats right.  Find the truth and then youll be right.

I'll just let this bit of awesomeness just sit there.....!

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

There is right, and there is wrong. 

There are also countless interpretations in between of what to do in any one situation.  I won’t play the judge, but I wish everyone the best.  

There’s definitely some gray area out there and I agree about not racing to judge

but I think some judgment of the last incident is fair

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

There’s definitely some gray area out there and I agree about not racing to judge

but I think some judgment of the last incident is fair

I couldn’t even give you the first fact of the “last incident” so I pass. I’m just talking in generalities. 

I typically try to avoid the most horrible stories. 

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

I couldn’t even give you the first fact of the “last incident” so I pass. I’m just talking in generalities. 

I typically try to avoid the most horrible stories. 

I’d avoid the quotes and photos on page 2 in that case. I suspect that your argument would land better outside the context of peterson history - as I don’t think it’s unreasonable to have different takes.... but this thread colors it a bit differently if folks don’t know you well  

Edited by NoSaint
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I saw my father do it on my sister, and my wife reports it was part of her father’s repertoire. All  turned out great. Spoiling kids is a worse offense as a parent IMO.  

False dichotomy. Lack of beating is not the same as spoiling. It's possible, and more effective, to discipline a child without hitting them.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, buffalo2218 said:

Ok here’s the problem I have, and it’s not Adrian Peterson I have the problem with. The problem I have is the people complaining about spanking a child. Ok, I got spanked with a belt, switch, toy race car track, just about whatever. Now the extent of what Peterson’s tactics were the first time was way too much. But as far as using a belt? I have zero issues with it. 

Because it seems to me that not using a belt today is part of the problem: Growing up, I never saw or even heard of kids killing other kids and teachers in school, how many times has that happened recently? There’s what’s called right to parent in the law itself. I don’t in any way advocate child abuse, using a belt is not the same. 

But back to Peterson, I don’t have any issues with him using a belt for corporal punishment, but the line is drawn there.

This x10

3 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Considering how far out of bounds he was in the last case- I am a little surprised that so many people are down to assume the the dude is acting reasonably and with restraint when hitting his kid that he previously abused

i would get a “let’s wait and see” from some but not full throated support 

^^^^^This. FYI, I’m not a wallflower bleeding heart type of new school parent. I’m not against corporal punishment as a means to an end. But my concern is that AP has already demonstrated clearly that he is not familiar with necessary discipline boundaries or apparently the ability to control his anger issues in the heat of the moment when it comes to his kid—so how can we sit there and feel comfortable that magically he doesn’t go overboard with a belt either? Which let’s face it guys, is a tool that is easy to do some serious damage with even if it’s not intentional, to say nothing of when it is. Sorry, but I don’t trust him.

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

The evidence that he still beats his kid...is his own admission that he still does.  It's a clear violation of his reinstatement.

See above.

I have been able to coerce them into better behavior by denying them the things that they enjoy from time to time (when they were young).    Now, as teens, i try to treat them as young adults when I can.  Take away things when I need to.

Let me ask the corporal punishers above----at what age were our children when you began to hit them with the belt or the stick?

I don't care that he violated his reinstatement.  I don't work for the NFL.

I do love you continue to use the word "beat" even though AP said "spank."  And you said your dad "smacked" you a couple times.  

It sounds like you're changing the language on purpose, almost to minimize one set of behaviors versus another. Curious.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Prove that what AP said in the story you posted in the OP isn't about the occasional swat.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Are you serious??

He beat his own 4 year old son's ***** bloody with a stick.. now he's beating him with a belt.

Not sure if he's beating him with a belt.  It could just be a little whack now and then.  It used to just scare us kids more than it hurt growing up when my dad would pull out the belt.  If he's continually beating him with it thats jailable esp considering the dude is on parole for the stick incident, but I think there's still room for a well-placed light belt whack in disciplining a kid if thats all he responds to.

1 hour ago, eball said:

Isn’t there boatloads of evidence out there that “physically” disciplining children has no beneficial effect whatsoever?

No, but there is boatloads of evidence that non-physical discipline has better outcomes in a variety of categories

On the flip side there isn't a whole lot of research into any downsides of avoiding physical discipline, since that angle hasn't been much of a target of study

Given nature's disciplinary response across mammals usually involves nips/swats/etc., and despite our cognition we're mostly just animals, I would be surprised if there were zero positive benefit.  It likely would have weeded itself out if physical feedback were only harmful.  Beyond that, kids under a certain age literally cannot be reasoned with because they lack the necessary cognitive development for it.

If physical discipline is your go-to/something you enjoy, however, you're almost definitely just messing up your kids

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

The evidence that he still beats his kid...is his own admission that he still does.  It's a clear violation of his reinstatement.

Admission (that he continues to beat his kid bloody).. so factually incorrect.

Dumbest OP I've read ever. 

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

With respect to AP in particular, he was absolutely in the wrong the way he treated his son.  What that kid went through was awful.

AP had pretty recently experienced trauma (baby momma's BF beat APs son to death) about a year prior and based on texts he sent he was using the beating to lash out at her/make her feel hurt.  Really messed up, and the kid absolutely doesn't deserve it, but it's a pretty common/normal response for people to exhibit, particularly if they didn't have the best parental role models in their own life.  It's likely AP is just reflecting his own childhood experiences in his parenting style, for better or (most definitely) worse.

He isn't a monster.  He's probably a pretty awful parent that thinks he's doing the right thing.  I hope his kid turns out okay, because the kid's got an uphill battle ahead of him.