Four Different Starting QBs in One Season

Gugny

22 minutes ago, Kevin1778 said:

Such a moronic post. How are those others teams excuses any better than the Bills. Two of the Bills quarterbacks got injured idiot. Do you even watch the Bills. At a bare minimum they would have three starters and with this offensive line 4 or even 5 is possible. Barkley will be lucky to survive tomorrow. 

1987: strike year....Kelly and then 3 scrubs starting 1 game each at QB due to the strike.

1960, 1961: first two years of the AFL...completely different expectations in terms of how to secure quality QB's on the market as well as how the position was played/scouted etc...

1968: longstanding franchise QB suddenly goes down in practice, 2 weeks before the season begins...3 more QB's (Flores, Darragh, and Stephenson) get injured....4 in total.

2018: epic mismanagement of the QB situation beyond the injuries to Allen and Anderson. Getting rid of Taylor without a suitable replacement, trading McCarron, forcing Allen into a starting role a full year before he's ready, throwing Anderson and Barkely onto the field days after picking them off the streets....all of these bad decisions stem from the singular fact that McDermott completely overestimated Peterman's abilities as an NFL QB. My speculation is that there was some favoritism going on because they both believe in the same invisible space God.

• Like (+1) 1

I am glad we ended the playoff drought last year. The total number of QB's to start for Buffalo  since the "Music City debacle" is devastating. Don't get me started on how many QB's have started games for us since Jimbo stepped down. WOW. This isn't even what's available at the bar at 3am ugly. More like "The bar is closing, lets troll the parking lot". OUCH

See I don't think this is a big deal. Allen and Anderson got hurt and Nathan Peterman might be the worst quarterback of all time. 

If if we started 4 guys because we couldn't figure out who the guy is, I'd be worried. 

Obviously we know Josh Allen is the guy. And he happens to be hurt.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

See I don't think this is a big deal. Allen and Anderson got hurt and Nathan Peterman might be the worst quarterback of all time

If if we started 4 guys because we couldn't figure out who the guy is, I'd be worried. 

Obviously we know Josh Allen is the guy. And he happens to be hurt.  

Bold is why it is a big deal. The fact it took half a season to realize what a lot of people knew is a big deal. Why they ever thought Peterman could start the majority of the games til Allen was ready is a big deal. Not having a veteran backup when the season started is a big deal. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Botch?  So injuries are the coaches fault?  They said they intended Allen to start week 1, but his 3rd preseason game made them want to sit him a little early In this season and NP just flopped and JA got out in during week 1. 

Now hes hurt.  NP failed so they signed DA but had to keep NP too with Allen still hurt.  So they signed Barkley with both DA and JA still hurt, but again have to keep NP in case Barkley gets hurt.

So what did they botch?  Injuries are injuries, only reason it will be 4.  

the season starter is not nor has been injured this year. Only backups have been inured. Selecting Nasty Mate as starter falls squarely on the brain trust.

didn't the Packers go through several QB s a few years ago? Rodgers and the first backup were injured early on. Then they brought in Seneca Wallace who was promptly injured. iN 2013 they started 4.

In 2010, the Cowboys started 

Quincy Carter (8) / Anthony Wright (3) / Ryan Leaf (3) / Clint Stoerner (2)

In 2015 the Cowboys started Matt Cassel (7) / Tony Romo (4) / Brandon Weeden (3) / Kellen Moore (2)

Edited by reddogblitz

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

If Barkley starts tomorrow, he will be the 4th different QB to start a game for the Bills in 10 weeks.

From what I could find on the Interwebs, the 1987 Patriots have the record with five ... but that was in a strike season (in which Doug Flutie crossed the line and started one game before the strike ended).

I feel like there's been no team in the history of the NFL to botch the handling of the QB position (some consider it an important position in the NFL).  Am I wrong?

I've stated this in numerous threads before, was the QB position botched or could we just not get a veteran QB in here? I've read a bunch of articles stating the Bills reached out to Mccown, Keenum and Bradford, not sure maybe others. s it botched if you tried to sign guys but opted for other teams? The choices they had were the same guys we have now after that... Anderson/Barkley etc.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I've stated this in numerous threads before, was the QB position botched or could we just not get a veteran QB in here? I've read a bunch of articles stating the Bills reached out to Mccown, Keenum and Bradford, not sure maybe others. s it botched if you tried to sign guys but opted for other teams? The choices they had were the same guys we have now after that... Anderson/Barkley etc.

It’s hard on a team when the franchise QB gets hurt

it’s a multiple of hard to not even have a franchise QB and the scrubs get hurt anyway

12 hours ago, Gugny said:

If Barkley starts tomorrow, he will be the 4th different QB to start a game for the Bills in 10 weeks.

From what I could find on the Interwebs, the 1987 Patriots have the record with five ... but that was in a strike season (in which Doug Flutie crossed the line and started one game before the strike ended).

I feel like there's been no team in the history of the NFL to botch the handling of the QB position (some consider it an important position in the NFL).  Am I wrong?

The botch was the belief in Peterman. McCarron was the worst QB in preseason so his departure was earned. 

Can’t predict the injuries so I don’t blame them for Allen and Anderson going down. That is mostly the result of two pro bowl linemen quitting. 

10 hours ago, chaccof said:

Wow, just wow....what's fun about this season is that if you, for some reason, like life gets in the way, can't stay current for a couple of hours with twitter, instagram, the interweb, etc. there is always gold coming out of 1 Bills Drive....Matt Barkely?  Really?  I bet half this board knows the playbook better than he does.  

might as well try him out this pre-season- season.  maybe he can play.  neither Pete or Anderson will be around next year, maybe barkley can be a workable #2.

Wow, just wow....what's fun about this season is that if you, for some reason, like life gets in the way, can't stay current for a couple of hours with twitter, instagram, the interweb, etc. there is always gold coming out of 1 Bills Drive....Matt Barkely?  Really?  I bet half this board knows the playbook better than he does.  

Run, run, pick 6 isn’t too hard of a playbook to learn quickly 

Edited by CaptnCoke11

If it wasn't for this board and the humorous fanatics on it - I'd be in a 'nut house'.

2 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Well we all know that many Hail Mary's have to be there.  Whether that translates into "go long" is another question.

Statue of Liberty - gotta be in today's playbook also!

1 hour ago, BeginnersMind said:

The botch was the belief in Peterman. McCarron was the worst QB in preseason so his departure was earned. 

Can’t predict the injuries so I don’t blame them for Allen and Anderson going down. That is mostly the result of two pro bowl linemen quitting. 

The Bills had time.

Wood retired January 26th. 

The Bills tried to force Incognito to take a pay-cut.

And they traded Glenn.

So this is what it looks like when you get rid of the left side of your line. 

2 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

The Bills had time.

Wood retired January 26th. 

The Bills tried to force Incognito to take a pay-cut.

And they traded Glenn.

So this is what it looks like when you get rid of the left side of your line. 

1.  Name the C that was on the market they should have signed.

2.  Richie signed the deal.

In just 12 games (2  preseason) the Bills have started 5 different quarterbacks. 4 of them have had significant injuries this year. The odds of this happening are astronomical. 

McCarron (Fractured collarbone)

Allen (UCL injury)

Anderson (Concussion)

Barkley (MCL injury)

Peterman (can't stay on field long enough to get injured)

1 hour ago, BeginnersMind said:

The botch was the belief in Peterman. 

Peterman should have been on the roster only for emergencies. The mistake was getting rid of McCarron before Anderson got here. Peterman's entire role should have been a backup to the backup, in case 2 quarterbacks get injured, which almost never happens. The only play he should have had all year was in Chicago, and when your first and second string quarterbacks are hurt your season is over anyway. It doesn't matter who you play. 

Edited by Kevin1778

12 hours ago, fansince88 said:

Were you in the "Start Pete because he earned it" crowd before week one? Were you in the "Just trade AJ " crowd before week one?  I will hang up and listen.

Actually, Fan, I was in the, "We're going into the season with Allen and Peterman??  Are you effing kidding me????" crowd.

5 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

They had the same choices before the season began.  They have brought two QBs from off the streets during the second-third of the regular season. 

• Like (+1) 1

there is no doubt they have not handled the key position well at all and the only reason I have not put the complete fail tag on them yet is allen was injured so it still remains to be seen whether he will be the future or not.

when you mess up this bad it leaves more doubt that they are even the right people to build a contender?

this next off season/draft is critical. jobs should and will be on the line if they don't win football games and do better than .500 in 2019. those thinking they have 5 years are delusional. no fan is going to wait 5 years for a team to build a contender, nor should they.

1 minute ago, no name said:

there is no doubt they have not handled the key position well at all and the only reason I have not put the complete fail tag on them yet is allen was injured so it still remains to be seen whether he will be the future or not.

when you mess up this bad it leaves more doubt that they are even the right people to build a contender?

this next off season/draft is critical. jobs should and will be on the line if they don't win football games and do better than .500 in 2019. those thinking they have 5 years are delusional. no fan is going to wait 5 years for a team to build a contender, nor should they.

Fans don't own the team though.

14 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

In agreement with your contention, there was some discussion the other day on talk radio that the direct snap to McCoy to start the Bills' offensive game vs. New England resulted in McCoy being technically listed as the starting QB for the game.  I heard only parts of the total discussion, so I do not know if the rule / statistic is correct.

Seems like the guy with the radio in his helmet would be considered the QB, regardless of who takes the snap.

17 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

No fan is going to wait 5 years was your point.  So?  They can't decide whether they stay on or not.  

You want to stop watching or rooting for them go ahead.  Most fans won't.

who are you?

oh wait, I know who you are. you're that gullible old man that takes anything they feed you because, well, you're not the owner. just because you want to ride with a ***** show doesn't mean I or other fans will? trust me, you keep putting a ***** product on the field, fans are not going to support it.

I can see you in a half filled stadium waving your little bills banner with a big smile while they're getting there ass handed to them like they have for most of their 9 games so far.

save anymore of your wisdom of how a fan should support or not support a team for someone that may need it. I need none of your advice oldman.

enjoy the game!

1 minute ago, no name said:

who are you?

oh wait, I know who you are. you're that gullible old man that takes anything they feed you because, well, you're not the owner. just because you want to ride with a ***** show doesn't mean I or other fans will? trust me, you keep putting a ***** product on the field, fans are not going to support it.

I can see you in a half filled stadium waving your little bills banner with a big smile while they're getting there ass handed to them like they have for most of their 9 games so far.

save anymore of your wisdom of how a fan should support or not support a team for someone that may need it. I need none of your advice oldman.

enjoy the game!

I will as I have enjoyed watching since 1960.  Sometimes screaming in frustration, yes.  But  that is what happens when you're a fan.

you want to quit, quit.

12 hours ago, Kevin1778 said:

How are those others teams excuses any better than the Bills. Two of the Bills quarterbacks got injured. Do you even watch the Bills. At a bare minimum they would have three starters and with this offensive line 4 or even 5 is possible. Barkley will be lucky to survive tomorrow. 

Because the named starter for week one of the season, with no injuries, is currently healthy and at the bottom of the depth chart behind Allen and two guys who literally came off the couch. 

40 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Seems like the guy with the radio in his helmet would be considered the QB, regardless of who takes the snap.

20 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Excellent point. 

Exactly.  Just because a RB takes a direct snap, he's still the RB; not the QB.  The accurate number is four.

14 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Botch?  So injuries are the coaches fault?  They said they intended Allen to start week 1, but his 3rd preseason game made them want to sit him a little early In this season and NP just flopped and JA got out in during week 1. 

Now hes hurt.  NP failed so they signed DA but had to keep NP too with Allen still hurt.  So they signed Barkley with both DA and JA still hurt, but again have to keep NP in case Barkley gets hurt.

So what did they botch?  Injuries are injuries, only reason it will be 4.  

It’s really the combination of decisions that qualify this as a botched job. Peterman and Allen as the only QBs. A very raw rookie and a 2nd year 5rh round pick who looked good in preseason but had an epically poor game in his only start. Then add a very bad receiving corps that’s not going to help those QBs at all. Lastly put them behind a poor - and thin - OL so that they are regularly pressured and the running game which could have taken pressure off of them is stuffed.

I had a discussion about the Bills record this season after the Vikings game. I thought 5-11 and he was 8-8 but only with the caveat that Allen stayed healthy. I said forget it. No way does he stay healthy. Not with his current processing speed with those receivers and behind that line. The injuries to Allen and Anderson aren’t bad luck, they were a result of the botched job on the offensive side of the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

I will as I have enjoyed watching since 1960.  Sometimes screaming in frustration, yes.  But  that is what happens when you're a fan.

you want to quit, quit.

You suffer from a unique strain of the Stockholm Syndrome, known as the Buffalo Syndrome.

You have been a fan of crap Bills teams for so long, you have developed a feeling of empathy and sympathy for the organization, to the point of defending them in the face of any and all adversity.

Get the help you need, my friend.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, MichaelAbdallah said:

1987: strike year....Kelly and then 3 scrubs starting 1 game each at QB due to the strike.

1960, 1961: first two years of the AFL...completely different expectations in terms of how to secure quality QB's on the market as well as how the position was played/scouted etc...

1968: longstanding franchise QB suddenly goes down in practice, 2 weeks before the season begins...3 more QB's (Flores, Darragh, and Stephenson) get injured....4 in total.

2018: epic mismanagement of the QB situation beyond the injuries to Allen and Anderson. Getting rid of Taylor without a suitable replacement, trading McCarron, forcing Allen into a starting role a full year before he's ready, throwing Anderson and Barkely onto the field days after picking them off the streets....all of these bad decisions stem from the singular fact that McDermott completely overestimated Peterman's abilities as an NFL QB. My speculation is that there was some favoritism going on because they both believe in the same invisible space God.

It’s unfortunate that you were able largely to put together a cohesive argument for your position until you had to pull the “faith” card at the end. At least you tried to qualify it with the cover that this is your “speculation,” as you have nothing factual with which to back that up. My “speculation” is that if we had a future HOFer starting at QB for McD, like Rodgers or Brees who also happen to believe differently than you do, that would be the last thing you bring up right? This is a business. McBeane make roster decisions that you may not like, but don’t kid yourself that a player’s personal beliefs play a role in that. 

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

You suffer from a unique strain of the Stockholm Syndrome, known as the Buffalo Syndrome.

You have been a fan of crap Bills teams for so long, you have developed a feeling of empathy and sympathy for the organization, to the point of defending them in the face of any and all adversity.

Get the help you need, my friend.

I do not defend them at every turn as any cursory reading of posts would tell you.  Your act is old and tired.

• Like (+1) 2