Illegally launching yourself into a defenseless player: Refs ignore Edelman —- but the league fines him

YoloinOhio

Not a fan of him at all. Completely unnecessary, the rule should be changed in my opinion.

Make that a first down for the Bills. The way it's called now he can essentially punch him in the face and cost them only 10 yards at the most. It doesn't do enough to discourage that kind of trash. He's just trash. I don't know how anyone shakes his hand after he does stuff like that, but they do.

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Like (+1) 1

I think this is why most Bills fans know their is no hope of winning this game, the officials aren't calling the game even.  There was a moment that should have been intentional grounding on Brady (I seem to remember even twice) and they just don't call him on it.  The play with Edelman was completely unnecessary and that player on 90% of teams would have been out of the game.  Against the Pats you don't get close calls and Gronk and Edelman get to stay in the game after plays that they should be getting ejected.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

That’s what you get when you don’t defend yourselves.  I am still stunned that Gronk was allowed to walk out of the stadium after the crap he pulled with Tre White last year.  This is the result - if you don’t defend yourself be prepared to take the consequences.  This Bills should be ashamed of themselves for letting them get away with it!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

How did they ignore it? He got called for a personal foul for it?? Not sure what else you expected to happen by the refs.

unlike Gronk who did his idiocy way after the play was done, Edelman was during the play and seeing as both their heads knocked together I don’t BELIEVE he was trying for helmet to helmet.. but again it was called.

Edited by PatsFanNH

2 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

How did they ignore it? He got called for a personal foul for it?? Not sure what else you expected to happen by the refs.

I think if you read the tweet in the original post, you'll find the answer to your question.

2 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

He got call for blocking after a fair catch, not helmet to helmet. 

Do you think he will get fined? I do. If he does, they ignored it on the field. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I think if you read the tweet in the original post, you'll find the answer to your question.

Do they even have that rule in the NFL? When the refs called it for “blocking after calling for a Fair catch” I was like what? Then when I saw it I was like ok that’s legit penalty.

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He got call for blocking after a fair catch, not helmet to helmet. 

Do you think he will get fined? I do. If he does, they ignored it on the field. 

Oh god yes a fine.. I don’t believe a suspension but a nice hefty fine by all means.

10 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Do they even have that rule in the NFL? When the refs called it for “blocking after calling for a Fair catch” I was like what? Then when I saw it I was like ok that’s legit penalty.

Oh god yes a fine.. I don’t believe a suspension but a nice hefty fine by all means.

Which rule?

3 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Let's be honest. Gronkowski drove into a guy laying facedown on the ground and slammed his elbow into the back of his head, causing the guy's head to bounce off what amounts to concrete covered by a yoga mat.  It was not a football play, it was not post-scrum action, it was not two guys jawing and one losing his cool.  It was a deliberate attempt to injure a guy unable to defend himself, something that if you saw outside a bar from Boston to Buffalo you would say "Geesh, what a scumbag.". 

That sort of assault was viewed by the league as no big deal, the punishment levied by the league was minor relative yo the infraction, especially in light of the leagues stated goal to protect players and their senses long-term. I think the NFL takes the approach that they'll assess lots of smaller fines on lower level guys while allowing marquis players and teams much more latitude.

In context, I would suggest the NFL should levy no fine at all. Let it happen, but let it happen across the board.  The biggest issue most people seem to have is the inconsistency across the board, between crews and often in the same game.  

1 hour ago, Billzgobowlin said:

I think this is why most Bills fans know their is no hope of winning this game, the officials aren't calling the game even.  There was a moment that should have been intentional grounding on Brady (I seem to remember even twice) and they just don't call him on it.  The play with Edelman was completely unnecessary and that player on 90% of teams would have been out of the game.  Against the Pats you don't get close calls and Gronk and Edelman get to stay in the game after plays that they should be getting ejected.

The refs don't help...I agree.....but the fact they have the better roster, better HC and better QB is why most Bills fans know we'll mostly lose vs NE....they've been the better team for almost 20 years....all the bad reffing in the world doesn't change the fact that our organisation cannot get out of its own way and compete with the Patriots....

13 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Let's be honest. Gronkowski drove into a guy laying facedown on the ground and slammed his elbow into the back of his head, causing the guy's head to bounce off what amounts to concrete covered by a yoga mat.  It was not a football play, it was not post-scrum action, it was not two guys jawing and one losing his cool.  It was a deliberate attempt to injure a guy unable to defend himself, something that if you saw outside a bar from Boston to Buffalo you would say "Geesh, what a scumbag.". 

That sort of assault was viewed by the league as no big deal, the punishment levied by the league was minor relative yo the infraction, especially in light of the leagues stated goal to protect players and their senses long-term. I think the NFL takes the approach that they'll assess lots of smaller fines on lower level guys while allowing marquis players and teams much more latitude.

In context, I would suggest the NFL should levy no fine at all. Let it happen, but let it happen across the board.  The biggest issue most people seem to have is the inconsistency across the board, between crews and often in the same game.  

Agree with the first part of this - Gronk actually committed an assault.  He could’ve been arrested and charged - seriously.

10 minutes ago, Iron Maiden said:

The refs don't help...I agree.....but the fact they have the better roster, better HC and better QB is why most Bills fans know we'll mostly lose vs NE....they've been the better team for almost 20 years....all the bad reffing in the world doesn't change the fact that our organisation cannot get out of its own way and compete with the Patriots....

No doubt they have been the better team but I think a handful of games more would be won if there wasn't bias and other illegal activity by the Patriots.  The talk going into this game was revenge on Gronk for his dirty hit, it ends with some questionable hits that from the Patriots

I did not see this play @ the game as i was taking the professional potty break. 

Watched replay last night...he can still be fined for that hit right? That was as dirty as dirty can be ...if Burfict can be fined after the fact, he sure as hell should be as well

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I did not see this play @ the game as i was taking the professional potty break. 

Watched replay last night...he can still be fined for that hit right? That was as dirty as dirty can be ...if Burfict can be fined after the fact, he sure as hell should be as well

Yes he can and I expect that he will. 

But the NFL loves to collect the fines. What they don’t love to do is be authentic about their “player safety” hee haw they continue to say but not act on, letting Dirty players stay on the field like burfict and Edelman. These types of hits are able to be lead to ejection with the new targeting rule but enforcing it is a joke. 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Do they even have that rule in the NFL? 

Yes, it's called unsportsmanlike conduct. 

Are you expecting the competition committee to come up with a specific rule for every disgusting thing a player/team can conceive of?  That's a lot to ask, especially as it pertains to the Pats*.