Brandon Beane deserves to be fired tomorrow

Wow...a lot of hyperbole and short memories in this thread. (sorry in advance for the super long post)

The 2015 Bills had one of the most talented rosters in the league? Really? They had some great talent, no doubt, but they were also starting Tyrod at QB, Clay at TE, John Miller at RG, Henderson at RT, Corbin Bryant at DT, Preston Brown, Nigel Bradham, and Manny Lawson at LBs, and Bacari Rambo and Corey Graham at S. Those guys don't stink, but none of them are superior talents and that is almost half of your starters. And the team was 8-8.

Worst GM ever? You must be young to say that. Some of us sat through a three season stretch of 2-14, 2-14, 4-12. And I'm sure the even older-timers could talk about other bad stretches. And Tom Donahoe has to be in that conversation too. How about Russ Brandin as GM, I mean c'mon. (And I won't mar the memory of a great coach by including him on this list...love you Marv!)

People bemoaning not still having Whaley. Look, I liked Doug and he did find some good players (pro personnel was probably his strength). But his mistake was thinking this team was closer than it was or he was just in a win now mentality to keep his job, so he gave out gaudy contracts that put us in cap trouble and had three terrible drafts in a row (after he took over the reins from Nix). He had 20 picks in those drafts and the best players he came away with were Watkins, Darby, Preston Brown, and O'Leary. Honestly go back and look at those drafts. They were bad.

And just a little perspective on the players they traded or didn't retain:

Chris Hogan has averaged 2 receptions for 32 yards and 0.24 TDs per game since he left the Bills

Sammy Watkins has averaged 3 receptions for 45 yards and .47 TDs per game since leaving the Bills (and had a self-admitted ego problem when in Buff)

Marquise Goodwin has averaged 3 receptions for 55.5 yards and 0.27 TDs per game post Bills (and has still had some injuries in SF)

Robert Woods has averaged 5 receptions for 72.65 yards and .4 TDs per game, plus he can block like a monster in the run game

Could any of them help this year, sure. But Woods is the only one I wish we still had going forward. And how were the Bills supposed to keep him when

his hometown team that was further along towards becoming a good team offered him $8 million a year. We couldn't pay him $9 or $10

million a year with our cap situation. And even then he might not have stayed considering his other option.

Marcel Dareus: great player when motivated, but after signing the big contract, he just stopped trying. Why would you keep him for that insane number.

Reggie Ragland: on his way out in KC. Old school player too slow for today's NFL

Mike Gilislee: not currently on a team

Cordy Glenn: I wouldn't mind still having Glenn, but that was a big number for an oft injured player

Ronald Darby: good player, I was against this one when it happened, but if the coaches felt he didn't fit their system, then why keep him

And too many fans just discount the Wood and Incognito retirements. That was a huge blow to this team. If the defense was playing like it is and our run game was much more successful (if Wood and Incognito were still around), we could have had a year like last year. We expected to have both of those players this year. It was a bad draft for O-linemen and obviously our focus had to remain on getting our QB and we just couldn't afford to pay top dollar to the best free agent O-linemen with our cap troubles. Heck, even Wood retiring put an unexpected extra drain on the cap. The woes in the run game are because the interior of our line just is not strong and athletic enough and that was an unforeseen circumstance that was really hard to correct in our position.

When rebuilding, you have to have some patience. The best rebuild is to rebuild through the draft, which is what McBeane is trying to do. You can't do that in one draft. That is why true rebuilds are usually three years. Three good drafts could really push a team forward (and the players are cheap). In the meantime, they were trying to still win by signing a bunch of decent players to one year contracts. Last year it worked and we were very competitive. This year we had just one too many things go wrong to continue winning. But the rebuild is still going forward. We have a top 10 defense, the future QB of our defense, a replacement for Kyle when he retires, hopefully our franchise QB. Next year they have to fix the O-line, receivers, and TE.

I think you can maybe fault them for AJ McCarron, Vontaze Davis, and the WR position. But there really wasn't much out there at QB that we could afford that was a better option (as they said they tried to get Anderson earlier but he didn't want to come). It's hard to bring in a QB that knows he might only get half a season before their #1 draft pick gets on the field and when you don't want to or can't pay him big money. And they should have had a better plan B for Vontaze, since he was older and coming off an injury. As for the WRs, again, we didn't have the money to go out and get a bigger name, but there were probably a few guys at least that could have helped. But you know what, every FO makes some mistakes. No one hits on every player in the draft or FA. And we were severely strapped by the cap this year.

And stop saying the cap issue was their own fault. It wasn't. Yes, they may have added a bit to it trying to find players to help this year (Coleman I'm looking at you), but the majority of it comes from the Whaley contracts. Whether we kept some of those players (that we traded or let go) or not, we would still be cap-strapped this year due to big and back-loaded contracts. So, even if we kept three of them, say, there were still going to be holes that weren't going to get filled adequately this year.

The best this season was ever going to be given the circumstances was a repeat of last year....overachieving team and a little magic. But the ball bounced the wrong way at too many spots. But, I don't see how you can't give them their third year in a three year plan. I think next year will be a significant step forward and we will be a good team. This year we have to take our lumps and it sucks. But I find it interesting that people feel like there is no plan or its a terrible plan when the plan seems all so obvious to me. Obviously, a lot is riding on if Joash Allen can actually become the guy. But, we can't keep firing coaches and GMs every two years. You can't get anywhere that way. Let the plan fully roll out and then we can make a more informed decision on Beane and McDermott. To fire them now would be foolish.

I hope you can all at least enjoy watching Allen progress when he returns. And who knows, maybe Peterman will become a redemption story. Hang in there and Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/30/2018 at 2:54 PM, BillsEnthusiast said:

Come on Scott. I'm talking about Kareem Hunt, Travis Kelce, Tyreek Hill, Sammy Watkins, and a stellar offensive line.

The problem with this is you act like we are not allowed to have guys like this. The problem is the men running this football team they can't find or develop offensive talent . They also don't have the philosophy to build an elite offense. Mcd is a defense first coach and everything else needs to complement his D. His view of a great offense is a strong running gm that keeps his defense fresh and keep the gm close so we can steal the gm in tge 4th quarter with a couple fgs.

6 hours ago, folz said:

Wow...a lot of hyperbole and short memories in this thread. (sorry in advance for the super long post)

The 2015 Bills had one of the most talented rosters in the league? Really? They had some great talent, no doubt, but they were also starting Tyrod at QB, Clay at TE, John Miller at RG, Henderson at RT, Corbin Bryant at DT, Preston Brown, Nigel Bradham, and Manny Lawson at LBs, and Bacari Rambo and Corey Graham at S. Those guys don't stink, but none of them are superior talents and that is almost half of your starters. And the team was 8-8.

Worst GM ever? You must be young to say that. Some of us sat through a three season stretch of 2-14, 2-14, 4-12. And I'm sure the even older-timers could talk about other bad stretches. And Tom Donahoe has to be in that conversation too. How about Russ Brandin as GM, I mean c'mon. (And I won't mar the memory of a great coach by including him on this list...love you Marv!)

People bemoaning not still having Whaley. Look, I liked Doug and he did find some good players (pro personnel was probably his strength). But his mistake was thinking this team was closer than it was or he was just in a win now mentality to keep his job, so he gave out gaudy contracts that put us in cap trouble and had three terrible drafts in a row (after he took over the reins from Nix). He had 20 picks in those drafts and the best players he came away with were Watkins, Darby, Preston Brown, and O'Leary. Honestly go back and look at those drafts. They were bad.

Chris Hogan has averaged 2 receptions for 32 yards and 0.24 TDs per game since he left the Bills

Sammy Watkins has averaged 3 receptions for 45 yards and .47 TDs per game since leaving the Bills (and had a self-admitted ego problem when in Buff)

Marquise Goodwin has averaged 3 receptions for 55.5 yards and 0.27 TDs per game post Bills (and has still had some injuries in SF)

Robert Woods has averaged 5 receptions for 72.65 yards and .4 TDs per game, plus he can block like a monster in the run game

Could any of them help this year, sure. But Woods is the only one I wish we still had going forward. And how were the Bills supposed to keep him when

his hometown team that was further along towards becoming a good team offered him $8 million a year. We couldn't pay him $9 or $10

million a year with our cap situation. And even then he might not have stayed considering his other option.

Marcel Dareus: great player when motivated, but after signing the big contract, he just stopped trying. Why would you keep him for that insane number.

Reggie Ragland: on his way out in KC. Old school player too slow for today's NFL

Cordy Glenn: I wouldn't mind still having Glenn, but that was a big number for an oft injured player

Ronald Darby: good player, I was against this one when it happened, but if the coaches felt he didn't fit their system, then why keep him

And too many fans just discount the Wood and Incognito retirements. That was a huge blow to this team. If the defense was playing like it is and our run game was much more successful (if Wood and Incognito were still around), we could have had a year like last year. We expected to have both of those players this year. It was a bad draft for O-linemen and obviously our focus had to remain on getting our QB and we just couldn't afford to pay top dollar to the best free agent O-linemen with our cap troubles. Heck, even Wood retiring put an unexpected extra drain on the cap. The woes in the run game are because the interior of our line just is not strong and athletic enough and that was an unforeseen circumstance that was really hard to correct in our position.

When rebuilding, you have to have some patience. The best rebuild is to rebuild through the draft, which is what McBeane is trying to do. You can't do that in one draft. That is why true rebuilds are usually three years. Three good drafts could really push a team forward (and the players are cheap). In the meantime, they were trying to still win by signing a bunch of decent players to one year contracts. Last year it worked and we were very competitive. This year we had just one too many things go wrong to continue winning. But the rebuild is still going forward. We have a top 10 defense, the future QB of our defense, a replacement for Kyle when he retires, hopefully our franchise QB. Next year they have to fix the O-line, receivers, and TE.

I think you can maybe fault them for AJ McCarron, Vontaze Davis, and the WR position. But there really wasn't much out there at QB that we could afford that was a better option (as they said they tried to get Anderson earlier but he didn't want to come). It's hard to bring in a QB that knows he might only get half a season before their #1 draft pick gets on the field and when you don't want to or can't pay him big money. And they should have had a better plan B for Vontaze, since he was older and coming off an injury. As for the WRs, again, we didn't have the money to go out and get a bigger name, but there were probably a few guys at least that could have helped. But you know what, every FO makes some mistakes. No one hits on every player in the draft or FA. And we were severely strapped by the cap this year.

And stop saying the cap issue was their own fault. It wasn't. Yes, they may have added a bit to it trying to find players to help this year (Coleman I'm looking at you), but the majority of it comes from the Whaley contracts. Whether we kept some of those players (that we traded or let go) or not, we would still be cap-strapped this year due to big and back-loaded contracts. So, even if we kept three of them, say, there were still going to be holes that weren't going to get filled adequately this year.

The best this season was ever going to be given the circumstances was a repeat of last year....overachieving team and a little magic. But the ball bounced the wrong way at too many spots. But, I don't see how you can't give them their third year in a three year plan. I think next year will be a significant step forward and we will be a good team. This year we have to take our lumps and it sucks. But I find it interesting that people feel like there is no plan or its a terrible plan when the plan seems all so obvious to me. Obviously, a lot is riding on if Joash Allen can actually become the guy. But, we can't keep firing coaches and GMs every two years. You can't get anywhere that way. Let the plan fully roll out and then we can make a more informed decision on Beane and McDermott. To fire them now would be foolish.

I hope you can all at least enjoy watching Allen progress when he returns. And who knows, maybe Peterman will become a redemption story. Hang in there and Go Bills!

HOLY *$#*_&%$#& ... somebody with a logical narrative ... nice post .. totally agree!  It's amazing just last season .. these two were walking on water (sans the Tyrod benching) for bringing a winning record/playoffs ... now they are trash in some people's eyes.

• Like (+1) 2

I don't trust sh^t with the numbnuts on the offensive side of the ball. The D is getting better, but this league runs on offense and to create what we have on the field deserves some kind of punishment. Instead the fans are punished by spending good money to witness carnage on the field. They need to bring in an offensive guru to find talent, evaluate and develop an identity on offense.  And it ain't Barkley and Derek Anderson.

11 hours ago, folz said:

Dude you just teabagged every beane hater on this board. I GREATLY appreciate this post. Post more please 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/30/2018 at 1:00 PM, dave mcbride said:

I guess you could say that not taking Mahomes was a mistake (although 20/20 hindsight is a helluva drug), but it's way to soon to say that because we simply don't know how Allen will turn out. He is quite young and has already played more than Mahomes did in his first season. 

And Allen was already being pegged by many in spring 2017 as the #1 overall pick in 2018. He wasn't that, but he was certainly under consideration for that pick. Allegedly, the Browns' second choice was Allen, not Darnold. 

Which is why the Browns are what they are.

11 hours ago, folz said:

The best this season was ever going to be given the circumstances was a repeat of last year....overachieving team and a little magic. But the ball bounced the wrong way at too many spots. But, I don't see how you can't give them their third year in a three year plan. I think next year will be a significant step forward and we will be a good team. This year we have to take our lumps and it sucks. But I find it interesting that people feel like there is no plan or its a terrible plan when the plan seems all so obvious to me. Obviously, a lot is riding on if Josh Allen can actually become the guy. But, we can't keep firing coaches and GMs every two years. You can't get anywhere that way. Let the plan fully roll out and then we can make a more informed decision on Beane and McDermott. To fire them now would be foolish.

This is a fantastic post, but you are addressing a segment of our fan base that wears very thick rose-colored glasses and simply doesn't understand the ramifications of bad contracts. How else can you explain their lament for a guy like Dareus, who hasn't done a thing in 4.5 years (yes, it's been that long) and whose only motivation is to party on Allen Street until the sun comes up? Also, Beane wasn't even part of the organization for many of these moves (Woods, Goodwin, 2017 draft, etc) which makes their vitriol even more bizarre. A blind mob attacks indiscriminately.

12 hours ago, folz said:

Good points.  The complaints about keeping various WRs was always a bit overblown IMO.  The "NE takes our scraps and turns them into All Pros" was largely a media driven narrative.  I've said it a million times, Woods rightly went back home and probably wouldn't have stayed for 10+ mil.  

I do think the current o-line situation falls on Beane especially if there was even a 5% chance Josh Allen was going to see the field.  Cordy wasn't really oft-injured and his number was manageable.  Richie shouldn't have been asked to restructure either at his cap number.    

On 11/2/2018 at 4:53 AM, oldmanfan said:

I would let Beane spend the day working the trade wire and, come 4:01 p.m., if the roster is not upgraded for 2019, I would fire him.  Why wait?

Fire Beane, do it tomorrow morning, rip the bandaid off and move forward.

Guess whose words those are?  Yours in the OP.  And now it's Friday.  I'm glad you were able to vent and have your little hissy fit, but reality will now take over.  Beane has to fix the offensive personnel going into next season.  He'll get judged on that.  Not by hysterical rants.

Blah, blah, blah.  They cleared cap space this year.  There are FA linemen to be had next year.  They have ten draft picks to upgrade things.  That is where Beane will be judged.

So they are.clearing up the cap space problem they created? Oh, lawdy, the inmates are running the asylum.

11 minutes ago, yungmack said:

So they are.clearing up the cap space problem they created? Oh, lawdy, the inmates are running the asylum.

Yes, they had players they didn't think fit the bill.  So they ripped the band aid off in one year.  Now they have a ton of space and a ton of picks

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, yungmack said:

9 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Yes, they had players they didn't think fit the bill.  So they ripped the band aid off in one year.  Now they have a ton of space and a ton of picks

As someone who has kept an eye on Buffalo Bills cap #'s for years now I just like to bring in a few facts over this "cap hell" conversations that

are taking place here almost every day.

The average Dead Cap $'s for the NFL in 2018 is 16.4 million.

Bills have 57.9 million in Dead Cap.  That's 41.5 million over the average.  It sounds like a lot and is a lot but lets look at why.

1.  Marcell Dareus - 13.6 million.  Remember it would be over 16 IF the Bills kept him.  Lot's of fans wanted Marcell gone and personally I was one of them.

Posters have argued this to death but it really was a McDermott decision related to Dareus attitude.

2.  Eric Wood - 10.4 million.  This was no one's decision.  It just happened.

3.  Cordy Glenn - 9.6 million.  I personally did not want to see Cordy Glenn traded BUT it was directly used to attempt to get a franchise QB in the draft.

4.  Taylor - 7.6 million.  Remember that his cap hit would of been around 18 million to keep him.  Also want to say that there was only a handful

of posters wanting TT to be on the team this year.

Add those 4 players together and it comes to 41.2 million.  That brings the Bills Dead Cap down to the league average.

I want to throw this out there because this "cap hell" conversations are getting blown out of proportion on both sides of the argument.

The large Dead Cap hit taken by the Buffalo Bills in the 2018 season is over these 4 players.

The way I see it is, one had to retire because of health, one was used to trade for drafting a QB and 2 were traded because the GM/HC did not want them.

These are the facts.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, folz said:

so he gave out gaudy contracts that put us in cap trouble

Yes.. that was a Whaley era failing.

Who is the dude who administered contracts? I forget his name. Oberdorfer, or something like that?

Anyway, I feel like the staff that ran contract talks was operating without Doug's supervision. They gave away the store--almost every contract was overly in the player's favor. We're still paying the penalty this year. It will be nice to be out of cap hell next year.

OTH, If Doug was behind those excessive contracts--shame on him.

It’s weird.  I actually have more faith in Beane at this point.

It takes some courage to go all in like this.  I think a lot of teams try to do more if a half-measure rebuild.  I think Beane has a longer view, and isn’t concerned about pretending that we’re competitive while he makes moves that are necessary but painful.

If it works out and we get the pieces we need in the  offseason for a lengthy run, he could go down as one of our best GMs.  

Edited by Success
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

As someone who has kept an eye on Buffalo Bills cap #'s for years now I just like to bring in a few facts over this "cap hell" conversations that

are taking place here almost every day.

The average Dead Cap $'s for the NFL in 2018 is 16.4 million.

Bills have 57.9 million in Dead Cap.  That's 41.5 million over the average.  It sounds like a lot and is a lot but lets look at why.

1.  Marcell Dareus - 13.6 million.  Remember it would be over 16 IF the Bills kept him.  Lot's of fans wanted Marcell gone and personally I was one of them.

Posters have argued this to death but it really was a McDermott decision related to Dareus attitude.

2.  Eric Wood - 10.4 million.  This was no one's decision.  It just happened.

3.  Cordy Glenn - 9.6 million.  I personally did not want to see Cordy Glenn traded BUT it was directly used to attempt to get a franchise QB in the draft.

4.  Taylor - 7.6 million.  Remember that his cap hit would of been around 18 million to keep him.  Also want to say that there was only a handful

of posters wanting TT to be on the team this year.

Add those 4 players together and it comes to 41.2 million.  That brings the Bills Dead Cap down to the league average.

I want to throw this out there because this "cap hell" conversations are getting blown out of proportion on both sides of the argument.

The large Dead Cap hit taken by the Buffalo Bills in the 2018 season is over these 4 players.

The way I see it is, one had to retire because of health, one was used to trade for drafting a QB and 2 were traded because the GM/HC did not want them.

These are the facts.

Thank you

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Correct.

Id still take Watson/Mahomes over that.

Today, sure.

I don’t think we can make a definitive call for a few years.  Everything they have done hinges significantly in what kind of QB Allen turns out to be.

Beane's addiction to Nathan Peterman might cost us the season. Whereas if we had a serviceable veteran QB all through camp we might still be competitive. Still, firing him would relegate us to Cleveland browns status - a predicament it only took 19 years to crawl out of. Canning him would destabilize us and badly. He's done more right than wrong 

4 hours ago, boater said:

Yes.. that was a Whaley era failing.

Who is the dude who administered contracts? I forget his name. Oberdorfer, or something like that?

Anyway, I feel like the staff that ran contract talks was operating without Doug's supervision. They gave away the store--almost every contract was overly in the player's favor. We're still paying the penalty this year. It will be nice to be out of cap hell next year.

OTH, If Doug was behind those excessive contracts--shame on him.

Jim Overdorf negotiates the contracts and is still with the team.  He was a very controversial figure.

It was well established that Whaley and now Beane as GM have final approval of the contracts.

4 hours ago, Success said:

It’s weird.  I actually have more faith in Beane at this point.

It takes some courage to go all in like this.  I think a lot of teams try to do more if a half-measure rebuild.  I think Beane has a longer view, and isn’t concerned about pretending that we’re competitive while he makes moves that are necessary but painful.

If it works out and we get the pieces we need in the  offseason for a lengthy run, he could go down as one of our best GMs.  

FWIW I think the same thing.  They were very meticulous on the defensive side (which seems to be working) and took a lot of chances and had a lot of hope on the offensive

side.  A lot of "plans" on the O side did not work out but I think they knew it will all come down to this coming offseason to determine

whether or not they have "success" (pun intended).

Here's to trusting they make the right selections on O.

From an organizational standpoint, I would guess they're most surprised/disappointed in the inability to establish a strong run game.

I really feel like they went into the season expecting to pound the rock and play strong defense. I'm not sure if that's an Daboll, the OL, or Shady. I would be inclined to think it's mostly on Daboll and his run schemes.

Whatever you may think of conservative football, it's not going to work with such a weak ground attack.

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Tre White....one of the best corners in the league.....AND a first round pick vs Mahomme/Watson

Lets at least get it straight

The Tredavian Nightmare is one of my favorite Bills, but I would trade him heads up for Watson or Mahomes in 1/2 of a New York heartbeat.

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Right at this moment you would.......sure

Lets see if you feel the same about it next year

When the Bills came up at number 10 in 2017 I yelled at my TV "TAKE WATSON" so there is no armchairing going on here for me.

You're right though. We will see ...

3 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

From an organizational standpoint, I would guess they're most surprised/disappointed in the inability to establish a strong run game.

I really feel like they went into the season expecting to pound the rock and play strong defense. I'm not sure if that's an Daboll, the OL, or Shady. I would be inclined to think it's mostly on Daboll and his run schemes.

Whatever you may think of conservative football, it's not going to work with such a weak ground attack.

That approach isn't going to work straight up.

When was the last time you saw a team play lights out D, pound the rock, and beat New England 13-10?

It doesn't happen! You gotta be able to run with the big dogs and outscore the teams that score at will.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

When was the last time you saw a team play lights out D, pound the rock, and beat New England 13-10?

It doesn't happen! You gotta be able to run with the big dogs and outscore the teams that score at will.

I wasn't saying it was a good strategy. It's a given that McD is a conservative HC.

What I am saying is that if I had to guess, I'd guess they're most blindsided by the inability to establish the run. If they could do that, they would at least be competitive in most games. I will concede to the optimists that they knew this would not be a GREAT season. I don't for a second believe they envisioned it being THIS awful.

The idea that they knew they'd get blown out on a weekly basis and that this is some kind of master plan strikes me as absurd.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 3

51 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

We could still make the playoffs and even win the division even if we went 0-2 against them.  I'm not that concerned with  building my team to beat them because they cheat and the refs help them. And I'm100% serious about that. That, and I know I think this every year, but their stranglehold on the division won t last much longer.

I of course want to win the division but for just want us to concentrate on getting back to playoffs as WC.

Edited by reddogblitz

12 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

We could still make the playoffs and even win the division even if we went 0-2 against them.  I'm not that concerned with  building my team to beat them because they cheat and the refs help them. And I'm100% serious about that. That, and I know I think this every year, but their stranglehold on the division won t last much longer.

You know, I think this every year too. But then , I’m fully expecting a rule change that allows Brady to play while seated on a souped- up Hoveround. 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I of course want to win the division but for just want us to concentrate on getting back to playoffs as WC.

Playing conservative football doesn't work anymore. Sorry to tell you but the top teams all can score at will. You don't win by running the ball and playing field position. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Playing conservative football doesn't work anymore. Sorry to tell you but the top teams all can score at will. You don't win by running the ball and playing field position. 

We made the playoffs last year and came within a TD from advancing and would have probably the year before if Rex could coach D.  Pair this D with Rex's #1 rushing offense teams (which was top 1/3 in league in scoring btw) and we'd be contenders.

I'm not saying run a 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense. But we don't have to tank and cry woe is us if we don't have a QB like Drew Brees on our team either.

Jaguars didn't have a high powered offense last year and they made it to AFC championship game. Titans didn't either and they won a playoff game.  (before you ask, after what we've been through the last 20 years, yes, I would be very satisfied with that). 

Final 4 QB last year were Foles, Tommy, Case, and Blake freakin' Bortles.  All four had top 5 Ds.

6 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

5 days later.  No firing.   I'll just keep counting I guess.

You keep doing your thing old man - it’s the same tired routine every post.

Meanwhile, Beane deserved to be fired on Wednesday and he still deserves it.  This season is no one’s “plan” - it’s a disgrace.  These rookie owners should stop hiring rookie GMs.

On 10/30/2018 at 7:38 AM, Coach Tuesday said:

B.S.

This is no "process."  There is no way that this level of offensive ineptitude was PLANNED.  

Dude, you do know that the starting QB is out with injury...with him we were 2-2.  Competitive.  Of course our backup isn't playing as good as the starter.  What did you expect?

22 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Right at this moment you would.......sure

Lets see if you feel the same about it next year

The idea you keep peddling in order to prop up the McBeane administration, that Watson or especially Mahomes might be flashes in the pan, is one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen posted on this board. Please don’t stop...

On 11/3/2018 at 4:56 PM, stuvian said:

Beane's addiction to Nathan Peterman might cost us the season. Whereas if we had a serviceable veteran QB all through camp we might still be competitive. Still, firing him would relegate us to Cleveland browns status - a predicament it only took 19 years to crawl out of. Canning him would destabilize us and badly. He's done more right than wrong 

I don't know if it's Beane on the Peterman thing.

He did not draft him. I would push blame towards the HC. 

On 10/30/2018 at 7:34 AM, Coach Tuesday said:

The systematic dismantling of one of the Bills' highest-producing offenses in franchise history, replacing it over two years with what is shaping up to be statistically the worst offense in the modern era - an incredible feat when you consider that offenses are scoring points at a record pace - cannot go unpunished.

Brandon Beane gutted the offense and has failed to draft or acquire a single quality player on that side of the ball.

Not one.

The 2017 WR group was the worst in the NFL - and they did absolutely nothing - NOTHING - to upgrade it.

The lack of talent on offense predictably led to the highly-invested QB getting seriously injured.  

There is no excuse for this - none.  Don't tell me they're "tanking" - no team tanks the year AFTER drafting their franchise QB.

Don't tell me they have cap problems and are "rebuilding" - those problems are self-imposed, and even if they were sound decisions (which is dubious), there is no excuse for failing to even attempt to acquire playmakers during the offseason.  Find some speedy gadget WRs and a James White-type scat back who can create mismatches.  Find me one - ONE tight end who can BLOCK, let alone occasionally get open and catch a pass.  Find me a guard who can move laterally without running into his own guys, or a right tackle who can at least attempt to execute a cut block without taking himself, and only himself, out of the play...

This offense is a shambles and it absolutely positively did not have to be.  No one expected this team to contend for the Super Bowl this season but fans act like there is nothing in between a Lombardi and the first overall draft pick - it just ain't so.

Brandon Beane's "solutions" at WR have included trading up for Zay Jones (if you want to put that draft on him - fine with me if you don't), trading Watkins, trading for Kelvin Benjamin, trading for Jordan Matthews, trading for Corey Coleman, signing Jeremy Kerley.

I would let Beane spend the day working the trade wire and, come 4:01 p.m., if the roster is not upgraded for 2019, I would fire him.  Why wait?  I suppose you could do the Bills-y thing and wait until Beane squanders $80M in salary cap room and 8 draft picks, but why saddle the next GM with that?  Get a head start now - once the trade deadline has come and gone, there really isn't much more for the GM to do until the offseason.  Now is the time to make the change.

And for those of you who want to tell me that it's really McD calling the shots - fine.  This will put him on notice.  He has no business making personnel decisions and screw the Pegulas for their nonsensical org chart - they want to piss away their $1B business, I guess that's their right.  They are clueless.  If they understood accountability, they'd tell McDermott he's going to be judged based upon Juan Castillo and David Culley and the rest of the bogus offensive coaching staff that McD hired.  But they probably won't.

Fire Beane, do it tomorrow morning, rip the bandaid off and move forward.

Not gonna happen anything soon...keep venting but he is the Bills GM for at least 1 year...maybe moore