Brandon Beane Won't Rule Out Allen Missing the Rest of the Season; Not Actively Shopping Any Players Ahead of the Trade Deadline

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Brandon Beane Won't Rule Out Allen Missing the Rest of the Season; Not Actively Shopping Any Players Ahead of the Trade Deadline
6 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Good, shut him down the rest of the season.  Let him learn from the sidelines which was the original plan. Go 3-13 and get him better weapons next year. Upgrade the oline in FA.  If he doesn't improve we'll know a lot more next year.

New QB's don't learn much from the sidelines.  They are only ever there if there is already an entrenched starter on the roster.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

That's would seem to be extremely suspicious. Clearly Beane and McDermott have quite a bit to gain by this type of delay.

A QB doesn't learn on the sidelines. They learn on the field. And we in turn get to figure out what they're made of. Do not like this development one bit.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

New QB's don't learn much from the sidelines.  They are only ever there if there is already an entrenched starter on the roster.

This is ridiculous, being on the sideline isn't the same as being on the field but you can learn plenty.  Learning in part by watching is completely standard for literally everything else in life, but somehow that doesn't apply to NFL quarterbacking?

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

That's would seem to be extremely suspicious. Clearly Beane and McDermott have quite a bit to gain by this type of delay.

I don't know.  NFL is first and foremost entertainment.  People aren't paying to watch Anderson crap out the rest of the season.  There's 8 more games to play...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Avisan said:

This is ridiculous, being on the sideline isn't the same as being on the field but you can learn plenty.  Learning in part by watching is completely standard for literally everything else in life, but somehow that doesn't apply to NFL quarterbacking?

It's not, in this league, how top 10 QB draftees are used.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I don't know.  NFL is first and foremost entertainment.  People aren't paying to watch Anderson crap out the rest of the season.  There's 8 more games to play...

I take that point, but McBeane has a vested interest in keeping their jobs as long as humanly possible.

From an organizational standpoint, it makes sense to play Allen, let him learn, and figure out what we have. 

From McBeane's perspective, the longer you can dangle the hope Allen represents in Pegula's face, you longer you collect a paycheck. I'm really not trying to bash JA here, but the sooner we find out what we have, the better.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Avisan said:

You probably watch several NFL games every weekend.  Does it make you a better NFL QB?

Watching didn't help EJ, or Cardale Jones, or Peterman for that matter.

Players learn by playing.  Edmunds plays the most demanding position on defense.  Nobody made him sit and learn.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Perry Turtle said:

You probably watch several NFL games every weekend.  Does it make you a better NFL QB?

Players learn by playing.  Edmunds plays the most demanding position on defense.  Nobody made him sit and learn.

Tell that to Andy Reid and Patrick Mahones. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Perry Turtle said:

Mahomes has put a big dent in this line of thought.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Saratoga Leo said:

Okay, I'm seeing them Wednesday, so I'll tell him them.

Mahomes would have been fine starting last season. The guy can handle the football and can make more than one read, he didn't learn that running the scout team and watching the all-22. He's a true franchise QB.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Saratoga Leo said:

You can say that with hindsight. 

But if Mahomes started last year right from the start he’d be ruined or something? 

I dont buy that he needed that one year watching or he’d be Trent Dilfer. 

I think good is good. 

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Mahomes has put a big dent in this line of thought.

Right, if you disregard his natural talent and football acumen and make a giant leap in the logic of cause and effect.

Mahomes, like Watson, would have been fine as a first year starter.  

Who knows, the Chiefs might have made the Super Bowl if they started him instead of Smith last season.

3 minutes ago, Perry Turtle said:

Okay, I'm seeing them Wednesday, so I'll tell him them.

Mahomes would have been fine starting last season. The guy can handle the football and can make more than one read, he didn't learn that running the scout team and watching the all-22. He's a true franchise QB.

If Mahommes was starting here he would not have the all star cast of offensive players to INCLUDE a offensive line that doesnt let him get sacked.....

He would NOT look like this with our players.....

• Like (+1) 2

If they don't play Allen for the rest of the season, then the questions are what is the severity of the injury, will it heal on its own, and whether surgery may be needed now or at a later point in time.  Even if the answers to these questions are positive or somewhat positive, the Bills should acquire a quality QB (as a back-up or possible starter) in a trade or via free agency.  

23 minutes ago, Avisan said:

There's basically two groups of fans. There's the guys who want their first-round quarterback to be immediately sent into the game and learn on the job, on the fly. It's either sink or swim. Some succeed and some don't. Then there's the guys like Steve Young and Aaron Rodgers who are fortunate enough to sit for several years and learn behind Hall of Fame quarterbacks. Obviously the Bills don't have this luxury. I simply want Josh Allen to sit for one year if for no other reason than to see the speed of the game, not get injured  and learn the nuances of the NFL, because no one disputes  the fact that he was the most raw prospect coming out this year. It's not Josh's fault that McB did a poor job setting up a better mentor than McCarron. Now it's desperation time with Anderson.