I actually like Daboll!

On 10/25/2018 at 9:28 AM, dave mcbride said:

No, the Bills' talent under Gailey was actually far, far superior to what we have now. I think many people simply don't realize the historic badness of the Bills' offensive talent right now. It's unprecedented.

I agree. But a truly good coordinator could still eek out a touchdown or two every week, no? This offense is completely, utterly overmatched every single down. Some, if not a ton, of that is on Daboll. Everybody needs to quit acting like he's some "aw shucks" victim of circumstance. He's supposed to be creative, he's supposed to be adaptable, yet these qualities have been about as dormant as KB's separation. Maybe 27 games from now I guess? He sucks.

What is there to like? I don't buy the no talent thing, he had a solid prospect in Josh Allen. Benjamin, Shady and Clay have all produced steadily throughout their careers but when Daboll gets hired all of a sudden they can't play anymore! These same guys will get cut and then blossom somewhere else, that's just the way it goes for Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nelius said:

I agree. But a truly good coordinator could still eek out a touchdown or two every week, no? This offense is completely, utterly overmatched every single down. Some, if not a ton, of that is on Daboll. Everybody needs to quit acting like he's some "aw shucks" victim of circumstance. He's supposed to be creative, he's supposed to be adaptable, yet these qualities have been about as dormant as KB's separation. Maybe 27 games from now I guess? He sucks.

The talent is totally overmatched whoever we play. Put us against the worst D in the NFL and they have more talent than the Bills O and it is not even really that close. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/25/2018 at 12:11 PM, John from Riverside said:

I think you cannot evaluate him when this offense is almost completely devoid of talent.......

I know its hard....but fans should look a little deeper at what is actually happening here.

Oh the irony. A friendly reminder that the current regime is solely responsible for this roster lacking talent.

You wanna dig deep?  Let's dig.

What gives you any confidence in Brian Daboll?  What, in his resume, shows that he was ever capable of orchestrating a competent NFL offense?  It certainly can't be past success since he's had none.

Edited by Chicken Boo

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The talent is totally overmatched whoever we play. Put us against the worst D in the NFL and they have more talent than the Bills O and it is not even really that close. 

Then it's on the offensive coordinator to get creative. He hasn't yet. He's as much to blame as anybody and I hope we don't realize that in two years when this team acquires some offensive talent. 

6 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Then it's on the offensive coordinator to get creative. He hasn't yet. He's as much to blame as anybody and I hope we don't realize that in two years when this team acquires some offensive talent. 

He did the first 4 weeks. Then we layed an egg in the Green Bay game and they abandoned any creativity.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

He did the first 4 weeks. Then we layed an egg in the Green Bay game and they abandoned any creativity.

...question as to whether he is better positioned in the box or on the sideline solely depends on the quality of the sand for him to draw up plays....

As fans we are all in the same boat and have to continue watching the train wreck that is an offense play out the season. Focus on a stellar defense that we have built and you can start to get a little excited for the future. Even though Luck threw for 4 tds last week he barely had any yards. Our offense is giving up more points than our defense by turnovers and bad starting field position. If Daboll can get in the personnel that he needs to run the offense next year and still sucks then we can pass judgement until then the cupboard is bare.

12 minutes ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

As fans we are all in the same boat and have to continue watching the train wreck that is an offense play out the season. Focus on a stellar defense that we have built and you can start to get a little excited for the future. Even though Luck threw for 4 tds last week he barely had any yards. Our offense is giving up more points than our defense by turnovers and bad starting field position. If Daboll can get in the personnel that he needs to run the offense next year and still sucks then we can pass judgement until then the cupboard is bare.

...stats are woefully misleading...I'm focusing on the 37 pts we surrendered.....with an alleged DC leaning HC in conjunction with DC Frazier, how or why are we woefully inconsistent week to week?........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

I actually have faith in him too and I am a critical person. I think he has a good knowledge of how to run an offense and can work it to his teams strength. I actually am starting to wonder what McDermott told him in the interview. This offense as is, is probably one of the least desirable situations to walk into. He has to have been given some sort of power with regards to personnel going forward.

On 10/25/2018 at 7:41 AM, GunnerBill said:

I agree there isn't much to lead you to believe Daboll is up to it. But the talent is so bad I really struggle to evaluate the job he is doing here in Buffalo. The offense they ran the first 4 weeks was pretty creative. After the team layed an egg against Green Bay they have simplified and gone to a very vanilla look. I suspect that is on McDermott's orders but for me the problem is talent. You can run misdirection run plays with complex blocking schemes or you can run simpler rushing plays with straightforward blocking. Eventually your guy has to beat their guy. It isn't happening enough. Same with route combinations for the receivers you can innovate or simplify eventually your guys has to get open and catch the ball. The problem is clearly talent to my mind. Daboll may still suck with talent. But our guys can't execute anything at all with any consistency. 

As for fans only hating bad OCs.... nah. Plenty hated Greg Roman too and he was pretty good. But for plenty of fans here he ran it too much, too many 3 and outs, didn't let Tyrod loose (he got the best production of Tyrod's career out of Tyrod) etc. The Bills fans will only be happy when we have a coordinator who calls 60%+ pass plays and they are almost all well executed. Which is another way of saying what they really want is a Franchise Quarterback. 

I love the condescension, keep it up. 

Bills fans are just tired of watching other games and feeling like the Bills are so far behind the rest of the NFL that they are playing an entirely different sport. 

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree with you. The offense is over-matched. We have arguably the worst OL and receiving corps in the league. On top of that our qb play is less than functional. When the response is often stated that the problem is execution what is underlying that reality is that the talent on hand is incapable of  executing against the players they are going against. 

2 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

[b[Bills fans are just tired of watching other games and feeling like the Bills are so far behind the rest of the NFL that they are playing an entirely different sport.[/b] 

With respect to the highlighted area they are behind the rest of the league on offense. It is a stark reality. Trust your eyes and the truth will be inescapably clear to anyone with an ounce of objectivity.  

7 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

Bills fans are just tired of watching other games and feeling like the Bills are so far behind the rest of the NFL that they are playing an entirely different sport. 

But we ran a decent coordinator out of town in Greg Roman to get worse. 

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I agree with you. The offense is over-matched. We have arguably the worst OL and receiving corps in the league. On top of that our qb play is less than functional. When the response is often stated that the problem is execution what is underlying that reality is that the talent on hand is incapable of  executing against the players they are going against.  

I have our OL 4th worst after Houston, Arizona and Tampa. The WR is undisputably the worst in the league. Indeed it might be the worst I have ever seen in 16 years of watching this league. And yea, the QB has either been rookie errors, total ineptitude or dangerous Derek. 

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have our OL 4th worst after Houston, Arizona and Tampa. The WR is undisputably the worst in the league. Indeed it might be the worst I have ever seen in 16 years of watching this league. And yea, the QB has either been rookie errors, total ineptitude or dangerous Derek. 

Actually, I am not disheartened for next year. In one offseason the Rams significantly upgraded their OL with two solid veteran additions. They also took the free agent and draft route to upgrade their receiving unit. And with an offseason to prepare after his rookie year Goff exploded on the scene. 

With a smart draft and judicious free agent decisions our OL and receiving unit can be significantly upgraded. Even if we don't get an authentic #1 receiver that doesn't mean that we can't get a good receiver/s who would be an upgrade. 

Although I'm a believer in Josh Allen I don't believe that he will develop at the pace of Goff or ever be as prolific a passer as the Ram qb. However, I do believe with an added offseason to work on his game and better players added to the offense that this unit can play at a reasonable competitive level. 

As it stands the Bills have a copious amount of cap space. If they have to over-pay for additional players then so be it. What's the point of having money in your pocket if you act like a miser. If you got it----use it! Being pathetic without taking some strong to correct the problem is a lame way to run a franchise. It's time to have some freaking pride and act with some urgency to address this humiliating situation. 

On 10/25/2018 at 6:58 AM, Cripple Creek said:

What did undermanned NCAA schools do? The wing T spread seems like a good fit.

I was thinking something similar.  Tebow could come in here and we'd have a strong running game and own time of possession.  Our weak OL would be minimized and the crap at WR wouldn't matter much anymore.

Not realistic at the point but fun to think about. 

So.. I see people evaluating our current OC Based on outcome, talent and stats. well if your evaluating a coach like this.. you have it all wrong.. well at least partly wrong. The PROPER way to evaluate an OC in this league is compare us to a team that has around the same talent as we do and see if he is doing well or not. When you do that you compare that with your weekly notes.. Has there been bad play calls? how many bad play calls solely based on execution? How many outstanding calls has he made on a week to week basis?

Easy right? BUZZZERRRRR wrong again. because in this situation Our Line is about the worst in the league right? and our talented position at WR is also as bad as it gets with a rookie QB to boot? what offensive system are you going to compare us to that has the same issues on line and WR and QB? you cant compare to something that isn't there. Yea someone right now as there reading this is going to come up with 2 stats from our team and there team then compare but that does not CUT IT.

If you want to cut him because he is not managing rookies and under average players well enough then that's great! I get it. But that's not something you will know, I will know or any retired NFL no it all on espn. they make assumptions and that's as far as it goes. NOW. that being said as fans we are making assumptions... and we all know the break down of that word blah blah blah BUT every person has that right to have that opinion and as long as its with in a suitable range of where the team is at with things then us as FANS have that right to come on here and post without getting bullied by others on these forums. this doesn't mean you should make dumb statements like "we should move on past Josh Allen and look for our next future QB" cause that's just stupid and prepare to get slammed for it.

some of the people on this topic especially have been over the top and YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

again.. that being said.. I think our Offense is failing due to lack of talent/execution on and off the field. I do not blame current OC for what is going on.

But what do I know.. I am just a FAN.. RIGHT?

Edited by PrimeTime101

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 12:02 PM, Nihilarian said:

I agree.

Yes, the talent is somewhat lacking with the offense as the only real elite player is RB LeSean McCoy. Now, stating that, why hasn't he been used more effectively this season? The team got behind in points the first few games and the rushing attack went right out the window. Still, this doesn't explain why McCoy wasn't used in the passing scheme more often as he is probably the best receiver on the team too. 

Daboll has been mostly attempting to run a pass first offense with a rookie QB who has great difficulty reading defenses. Simply moronic! 

Sorry, but Brian Daboll stinks! Great coaches get the best out of their players...you know, kinda like McD has done with the defense. He should have simplified the offense to mostly run plays and screens, short outs, misdirection plays. For most of the season Daboll has been calling plays like he has an experienced veteran QB behind center.

The offense is out of control with penalties and stupid drive killing penalties at that. How is it that a pro player doesn't know where to line up? I can see an incidental penalty like an occasional hold or false start. But some of these are ridiculous and make it impossible for any QB to do his job much less a rookie QB.  

54 penalties for 428 is downright ludicrous. 

The second I read somewhat lacking is the second I stopped reading the rest.

Daboll's past NFL record is garbage however with that being said.....a competant OC could benefit from a good line....a decent or even good receiving corp.....a QB....even a somewhat below average QB he could work with........the guy has none of this......not his fault obviously......despite his past record if this team ever fixes this offense he should get another shot.....

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

But we ran a decent coordinator out of town in Greg Roman to get worse. 

While I did like what Greg Roman did in 2015 with the Bills having the #1 team in the league in rushing, rushing TDs and YPC average. He did stumble the next year in that first game against the Ravens with 24 rushes for 64 yards, Taylor stunk too. Then in the next game 19 rushes for 86 yards and the run game was bad again. Although, Taylor was 19 of 30 for 294 yards and 3 TDs. Rex Ryan scapegoated Roman for their 0-2 start, I suppose because the run game wasn't helping his craptastic defense enough. 

RB coach Anthony Lynn, after taking over for Roman did resurrect the run game and again the 2016 Buffalo Bills finishing the season with the #1 team in the NFL in rushing yards, rushing TDs and yards per attempt. Both OCs never did get the passing offense working with Tyrod Taylor though. 

As far as the 2018 offensive line is concerned, it is underperforming compared to what it was with Woods, Incognito with them. Still, they are not as bad as they looked those first six games with QBs Peterman, Allen starting. Mostly because neither guy knows how to set protections and run an offense like Daboll was calling. 

Derek Anderson speaking after the game stated that the line held up pretty good and only had one setback in protections that they corrected on the sidelines after that series. Anderson was only sacked 2x in that Indy game and the passing offense started to look better then it had previously under the two inexperience QBs. Especially considering the guy only had two weeks to prepare to start coming off the street. 

Football outsiders lists the Bills as 22nd in run blocking and 29th in pass blocking and I would think that the latter will get much better the longer Anderson plays as he knows how to read a defense and set protections. Thus, he will take less sacks and make the more downfield throws that Daboll wants. I also think the receiving corps will also look better with Anderson at QB as he gets more in sync with those guys. KB looked better then he has with 4 receptions for 71 yards. 

Also, I noticed that Anderson targeted the RBs more often then others as he looked for an outlet when the deeper throws weren't there.  I'm not expecting that much right now because Anderson has had such a short amount of time to acclimate himself to this offense. I suspect the more he plays the better the passing offense will get. JMO

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MPT said:

Like, as a person? 

He’s a lot of fun at party’s, and he makes a mean chili! He’s tight lipped about that recipe, but he gave me a few tips. 

I’m with the “it’s hard to judge the guy” crowd here. An artist couldn’t even finger paint....without some paint. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 10/25/2018 at 1:18 AM, John from Riverside said:

Which is?

Sure isn’t the one he’s running now

On 10/25/2018 at 11:25 AM, KD in CA said:

I can almost hear the reactionaries screaming "Fire Marchibroda!!"

I don’t remember hearing too much of that. Actually, Marchibroda May have gotten more credit that he deserved given how effective the offense was after he left.

On 10/25/2018 at 12:06 PM, billsfan11 said:

Well he is the leader of the 32nd ranked offence in the NFL, which is also historically bad. We can start with that.. There are many things I don’t like about Daboll. Like his predictable play calling, obsession with go routes, etc.

I just don’t think it’s necessary to call out posters when they have an opinion on something they don’t like. You’ve done it to me multiple times and I find it very obnoxious.

We are FANS here that have different occupations to these coaches/players that make millions of dollars. We should be allowed to comment on something without getting called out by another poster asking for a detailed explanation of the Xs and Os on how to fix the problem.

I don’t think anyone on this board is putting in their resume to become the offensive coordinator. So maybe just relax a little bit and let’s not take it so serious eh?

It’s standard protocol for some of the posters here. If you criticize the Bills they attack you instead of trying to dispute your opinion. It’s their way of trying to get you to stop saying things they don’t want to hear. It’s standard protocol for many on the internet really.

Edited by vincec

On 10/25/2018 at 12:02 AM, Estelle Getty said:

The man is atleast attempting to run a real NFL offense. Very rarely do you see the run, run, pass combo we have come so accustom to over the last few years. Gone are the days of draw up the middle out of the shotgun for 1 yard over and over. 

The only issue is he is trying to run a modern day NFL offense with Junior College talent.  I think his stubbornness will pay off in the long run by helping to weed out the players who can’t hack it in a real offense. Much like we saw a defensive overhaul this year I would expect the same on offense next year.  

I have confidence that McBeane have the ability to figure it out, as they did on defense.  As far as McDermott, let’s not forget he got us to the playoffs with a joke of a roster last year.  This year any educated fan could see we were not built to win although there was always the outside chance much like last year.     

De Gustibus and all that.  Where I've done a deep dive play by play into his games, the play designs seem strange to me - overly complex, with layered deceptions that don't seem in sync with how a real NFL defense would actually react.  He seemed slow to move away from run blocking concepts that weren't working through several games, and the pass protection concepts seem unable to adjust to pick up stuff like linebackers charging up the middle.

The play calls also seem at times situationally inappropriate.  Why call a slant for 2 yds on 3rd and 8? and so forth.

To be fair, Daboll also does some stuff that is nice, and results in getting guys open that are missed.

On 10/25/2018 at 12:26 AM, KD in CA said:

The only certain things in life are death, taxes and TSW hating whoever holds the job of Bills OC.

I thought ALynn did a pretty good job taking over for Roman.  Chan Gailey had his points and in some ways did more with less.

18 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

While I did like what Greg Roman did in 2015 with the Bills having the #1 team in the league in rushing, rushing TDs and YPC average. He did stumble the next year in that first game against the Ravens with 24 rushes for 64 yards, Taylor stunk too. Then in the next game 19 rushes for 86 yards and the run game was bad again. Although, Taylor was 19 of 30 for 294 yards and 3 TDs. Rex Ryan scapegoated Roman for their 0-2 start, I suppose because the run game wasn't helping his craptastic defense enough. 

RB coach Anthony Lynn, after taking over for Roman did resurrect the run game and again the 2016 Buffalo Bills finishing the season with the #1 team in the NFL in rushing yards, rushing TDs and yards per attempt. Both OCs never did get the passing offense working with Tyrod Taylor though. 

As far as the 2018 offensive line is concerned, it is underperforming compared to what it was with Woods, Incognito with them. Still, they are not as bad as they looked those first six games with QBs Peterman, Allen starting. Mostly because neither guy knows how to set protections and run an offense like Daboll was calling. 

Derek Anderson speaking after the game stated that the line held up pretty good and only had one setback in protections that they corrected on the sidelines after that series. Anderson was only sacked 2x in that Indy game and the passing offense started to look better then it had previously under the two inexperience QBs. Especially considering the guy only had two weeks to prepare to start coming off the street. 

Football outsiders lists the Bills as 22nd in run blocking and 29th in pass blocking and I would think that the latter will get much better the longer Anderson plays as he knows how to read a defense and set protections. Thus, he will take less sacks and make the more downfield throws that Daboll wants. I also think the receiving corps will also look better with Anderson at QB as he gets more in sync with those guys. KB looked better then he has with 4 receptions for 71 yards. 

Also, I noticed that Anderson targeted the RBs more often then others as he looked for an outlet when the deeper throws weren't there.  I'm not expecting that much right now because Anderson has had such a short amount of time to acclimate himself to this offense. I suspect the more he plays the better the passing offense will get. JMO

Roman's second year was tougher since everyteam had studied Tyrod by that point and began to load up to force tyrod to throw. It worked.

and that is much of the reason the running game faltered.

Whatever Lynn did > it worked.

Anderson is smart enough to get in and out of bad plays which helps a lot.
They still need to put forth a balanced attack. Defenses are going to force the pass until Daboll can get some completions and then YAC.

I have two strong opinions about Daboll as first season with Bills.

1) it IS his first season with a bunch of new Coaches . Needs time to figure what he has.
2) Players to work with. this might be a factor no OC could overcome : )
Like McD did with Beane? He waited for Beane to make the call on QB in the draft.

I feel he is going to do the same with Brian. post season they look at what types of players they need to bring in. 

3 ) i know , i said two strong opinions

4)  3 Quarters to plan and adjust for. 4 i you account for AJM.

Hard to get any traction under these circumstances.
5 ) yes, worst overall group of WRs known to modern man> if they released Benjamin ? the grade and rating would improve immediately  

aaarrgghh

I like Daboll. he gets some time from me

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I really think that's a hard argument to make.

The one thing he did have was Fitz. He is miles better than anything on the Bills right now and QB is so important. But even so, you could argue that Gailey turned Fitz into the slightly below average QB he is. He was a total scrub up until the Bills got him.

7 hours ago, vincec said:

The one thing he did have was Fitz. He is miles better than anything on the Bills right now and QB is so important. But even so, you could argue that Gailey turned Fitz into the slightly below average QB he is. He was a total scrub up until the Bills got him.

He actually had shown glimpses before, which I think is one reason the Bills picked him up.  His very first game he passed for >300 yds and led a comeback win.  I know 'cuz he was playing for St Louis then.

7 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I don’t. The Bills’ talent on O is the worst I’ve ever seen for this franchise since at least the early 80s. And it’s probably worse than those early 80s teams.

OK, make it then - compare position by position.  Go.

On 10/25/2018 at 12:17 AM, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

What offense will maximize each players talents? That's his job.

What if ... even if he ¨maximizes ¨ such talents, the result is below average? I swear I embrace the ¨adapt a system to the players´ talents or strengths, and not the other way..."  speech and all, but as many reiterate here, the issue is that with this talent, there is not enough ¨maximization ¨ in order to win consistently!! we need the system to flush out the players that can´t step up to it!! 

2 hours ago, BuffaLoko said:

What if ... even if he ¨maximizes ¨ such talents, the result is below average? I swear I embrace the ¨adapt a system to the players´ talents or strengths, and not the other way..."  speech and all, but as many reiterate here, the issue is that with this talent, there is not enough ¨maximization ¨ in order to win consistently!! we need the system to flush out the players that can´t step up to it!! 

I expected this offense to suck with the loss in O Line and crappy WR, no QBs etc. regardless. I'm just commenting on the theme of the OP that Daboll is crushing it with this fantastic scheme that'll work when he's got the Falcons. He's not crushing it lol, and we're a far cry away a Falcons, Saints, Chiefs offense, so I don't really care what he could hypothetically do with that.

The OP is saying it's awesome we're putting our square peg scheme in a round hole because one day he'll get a square hole. It just sounds stupid that he's not tabling his genius square peg scheme and rather just focusing on getting first downs anyway anyhow. Ya know, Chan Gailey style.. which is still super difficult but much more difficult when we're assuming he's making his scheme on imagined personnel we don't have and might not quite have next year either.

Just to clarify my comment since it's getting destroyed by everybody. I am just fundamentally opposed to coordinators playing a scheme that they think is genius when it's not considering personnell..  which is the theme of the OP. A good coordinator shouldn't be doing that (and he's probably not) but if the OP is getting his rocks off at this than I wholeheartedly disagree with his very subjective hypothesis.

2 hours ago, BuffaLoko said:

we need the system to flush out the players that can´t step up to it!! 

And to this point, I can see the merit there. But OC's should know thier personnel inside out. Anybody getting flushed by an offense that doesn't fit them, should be flushed as he practices a couple reps and sees they don't fit his true desired offense. Come game time just put whatever gimmicky scheme gets first downs and make a mental note Foster's drop on an easy play makes him unelidgable for whatever genius scheme he wants to implement.

Again I'm not saying Daboll is doing this, I'm disagreeing with the OP that it's not the sign of a good OC if he is.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks