Favorite Old School Wrestler

ChevyVanMiller

I know that we have a wresting thread, but it's mainly about current wrestling, which is not my cup of tea. This thread is to post a pic of your favorite 70s, 80s or 90s era wrestlers (Baby Faces and Heels) and maybe a line or two to describe what it was that made you a fan.

I'll kick it off with a baby face, the "American Dream" Dusty Rhodes. even though he never met a doughnut or a dozen that he didn't want to immediately scarf down, Rhodes had great charisma. His "Bionic Elbow" was a lame finisher, but I couldn't wait to watch him drop it on whatever heel he was in the squared circle against.

Dusty-Rhodes.jpg

Here are my favorite heels from the 70s, Reginald and Hartford Love - The Love Brothers. I used to watch them on CHCH-TV when they wrestled on promoter Frank Tunney's cards from Maple Leaf Gardens. They were great heels, the looked like Summer of Love hippies, but fought like Hell's Angels.

1286288708_TheLoveBrothers.jpg.e06a1a87bf34ef6af0b561b6266fa383.jpg

Edited by ChevyVanMiller
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Here are my favorite heels from the 70s, Reginald and Hartford Love - The Love Brothers. I used to watch them on CHCH-TV when the wr3estled on promoter Frank Tunney's cards from Maple Leaf Gardens. They were great heels, the looked like Summer of Love hippies, but fought like Hell's Angels.

1286288708_TheLoveBrothers.jpg.e06a1a87bf34ef6af0b561b6266fa383.jpg

good old days, Maple Leaf Wrestling followed by Party Game

• Like (+1) 1

I'll always be a Hulk Hogan mark. Terry Bollea may be a gigantic piece of crap, but I can separate that loathsome troll from what Hulk Hogan the character stood for.

As for heels, there is none better than:

ted-dibiase.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I know that we have a wresting thread, but it's mainly about current wrestling, which is not my cup of tea. This thread is to post a pic of your favorite 70s, 80s or 90s era wrestlers (Baby Faces and Heels) and maybe a line or two to describe what it was that made you a fan.

I'll kick it off with a baby face, the "American Dream" Dusty Rhodes. even though he never met a doughnut or a dozen that he didn't want to immediately scarf down, Rhodes had great charisma. His "Bionic Elbow" was a lame finisher, but I couldn't wait to watch him drop it on whatever heel he was in the squared circle against.

Dusty-Rhodes.jpg

Rowdy Roddy Piper.

• Like (+1) 1

Koko B. Ware.  One of the good guys.

I do remember back in the late 60s or early 70s seeing footage of Ernie Ladd interviewing as a 'good guy' in some southeast US wrestling conference, at the same time he was a heel in the northeast.  Either some reels of film got switched around, or someone was having a laugh at Ernie's expense.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

I don't know what classifies as old school at this point. My favorite as a kid was Ultimate Warrior but then Bret Hart went singles and started putting on amazing matches. I'd say Hart is my all time fav. 

Edited by The Jerk
  • Like (+1) 1

Maple Leaf wrestling on CHCH Saturday mornings. Wrestling from MSG Saturday nights. NWA. So many classic wrestlers. The interviews  always classic.

Edited by dhg
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Koko78 said:

I'll always be a Hulk Hogan mark. Terry Bollea may be a gigantic piece of crap, but I can separate that loathsome troll from what Hulk Hogan the character stood for.

As for heels, there is none better than:

ted-dibiase.jpg

When I was a kid, my grandfather would watch wrestling along with me and he always loved The Million Dollar Man

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

..listen @5:27 mark.." the popular Polack"    how much would that go over now?

I worked with an Irishman by the name of Gallagher, who mentioned watching the exploits of Doc and Mike Gallagher in the ring.  He always insisted the brothers were "a couple of Polocks", in his words.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

13 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

This guy was Oozing Machismo back in the day 

image.jpeg.f0176dd8cda64c6d6ec7c1215ed854f6.jpeg

haha yeah he had my vote for heel.

1 hour ago, Soda Popinski said:

Nobody was cooler than the ultimate warrior.   

Favorite tag team had to be the Road Warriors.   either that or the bushwackers.   those guys were a trip. 

Iron sheik and Nikolai Volkoff? The ultimate anti-american tag team facing off against Sgt Slaughter and Cpl kerchner.

f2691ee4626032a47c3f074317c4a8c1--fashio

Edited by joesixpack

It's sad that most of the guys mentioned are dead.  

Macho Man just edges out Brutus Beefcake for me.  I thought Macho Man was always a fun interview.

Best Tag Team:  Demolition.  They were champs for a long time.  

5 hours ago, Talkin Proud said:

I'll give mad wresting credit to anyone who can name this guy. I always loved his goofy name. 

Lanny_Poffo.jpg

The Genius

Pretty sure he went by a few names. Leaping Lanny Poffo was another.

He's Randy Savage's brother

• Like (+1) 3