Who hates the 10 minute OT?

Overtime  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the 10minute OT?

2. 2. Do you want the old OT with 2 quarters?

3. 3. Do you want something else? Specify in the comments.

I want the old OT back.

Edit: I like this better - both teams start at the 5 yd line , get four downs to score, last team to score wins. If neither team scores they get a new set of downs.

(No extra points or field goals, just TDs)

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Just now, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

A game should never end in a tie

It doesn't really bother me, but the frequency it is happening at if it continues is too much in my opinion.

I love college football's OT. I really don't understand why they haven't adopted that. I think it is the best system.

Just now, Ol Dirty B said:

I don't mind the idea, but the American sports fan will never go for it. We have some weird reaction to them. 

I am not sure it would lead to more ties. A 16 game season punishes ties almost as much as it punishes defeats if anything it would force a team driving down the field at the end of normal time down by 3 not to settle for a field goal.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not sure it would lead to more ties. A 16 game season punishes ties almost as much as it punishes defeats if anything it would force a team driving down the field at the end of normal time down by 3 not to settle for a field goal.

Fair enough. I haven't really thought that through. I just meant to point out that people are totally averse to them over here, unreasonably so in my opinion. So that the possibility of a tie in regulation is enough to prevent them from scrapping OT all together.

Just my view on it.

1 minute ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Fair enough. I haven't really thought that through. I just meant to point out that people are totally averse to them over here, unreasonably so in my opinion. So that the possibility of a tie in regulation is enough to prevent them from scrapping OT all together.

Just my view on it.

I agree it won’t happen because of the perceived higher risk of ties. I just think that wouldn’t be the reality. The 10 minute overtime is not the answer that is for sure. It basically allows for one drive each. If it goes FG, FG how does it help.

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

It doesn't really bother me, but the frequency it is happening at if it continues is too much in my opinion.

I love college football's OT. I really don't understand why they haven't adopted that. I think it is the best system.

I like it too.  If the NFL goes to it, it may be a while.  Look how long they took to add the 2 pt conversion even though the AFL had it and college football did for many years.

Almost seems like if it wasn’t their original idea, the NFL owners are reluctant to accept it.  Pompous egotistical $&@“#£s!!

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

I like it too.  If the NFL goes to it, it may be a while.  Look how long they took to add the 2 pt conversion even though the AFL had it and college football did for many years.

Almost seems like if it wasn’t their original idea, the NFL owners are reluctant to accept it.  Pompous egotistical $&@“#£s!!

Completely agree. I think that's the issue too.

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Bill Simmons suggested no punts and first score wins.  That would make OT quicker and each coach who wins the coin toss would have to ask themselves do they trust their offense or defense more?

I would like this, if it also meant no field goals as well.

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Did I miss something? Why is this even an issue? Are teams complaining? Did someone get screwed? ‘Fixing’ overtime is way, way down there on the list of things I think have gotten worse under Roger Goodell.

This. Just go back to 15 minutes. This isn't hockey in the 80s and 90s where the networks hated the low-rated games going overtime - this is the #1 thing on tv with a bullet.

Tie are actually pretty fun. They make playoff scenarios a lot more interesting and sometimes a tie is the right result.

Im a big Premier League fan and I have seen the way of the tie. I would like more ties in American sports, what is the issue with them?

• Like (+1) 1

Every other sport's overtime is shorter than the regular quarter/period. The way it is now is okay (sudden death on a TD or safety, other team gets a chance if team makes a FG) but need to continue playing until someone wins. 

I don't like the college OT format. Basketball and baseball keep playing the same game, hockey's is no good because it's a totally different game (3-on-3 then shootout). Keeping it the same game is important. This is especially true with football because there are only 16 games. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think it is completely fine. I do not understand why people complain about it.

I also do not want to see them go to the college system. I don't like taking kickoffs out of it and giving the team a freebie from the 25.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Bill Simmons suggested no punts and first score wins.  That would make OT quicker and each coach who wins the coin toss would have to ask themselves do they trust their offense or defense more?

Team A wins the toss. Moves ball to the opponents 45, and is faced with a 4th and 15. Team A must go for it. If they fail to convert, team B gets the ball at their own 45. In otherwords, team A can't pin them deep. Is this what you mean? Because I like this idea. Tired of ties.

Edited by Billsfanatic8989

The best way to have Overtime is this...

Play it like a regular quarter, 15:00 of game time. Each team gets one possession. If neither team scores after one possession then it becomes sudden death. If both teams score after each possession and the game is still tied it becomes sudden death.

Very simple.

Also, ties don't bother me. They don't happen as often as they used to and they add a certain element to playoff tiebreakers. 

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

There is absolutely nothing worse than changing the rules of the game in OT.   Well, except for Bill Simmons, who was last funny in 2004.

I too would do away with OT entirely.  Never had an issue with ties, never understood the visceral objection to them by some.

8 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I love this.  Love it!!!!

Ties should not be part of the game.  This isn't !@#$ing hockey or soccer.

3 hours ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

Team A wins the toss. Moves ball to the opponents 45, and is faced with a 4th and 15. Team A must go for it. If they fail to convert, team B gets the ball at their own 45. In otherwords, team A can't pin them deep. Is this what you mean? Because I like this idea. Tired of ties.

Yeah.  I'd prefer that system to the one we have now.

OT should be 15 minutes in its current format. I like the idea of a field goal on the opening drive not instantly ending games as once teams got into sub 45ish yard field goal range teams would basically play uber conservative (Inch the ball up a few yards and stop playing for a TD) and kick a field goal. Now teams are encouraged to actually go for TD's on opening drives. I don't know why they shortened it to 10 minutes as that is basically enabling ties. If team A kicks a field goal and team B responds with a field goal odds are those drives are going to be about 4-5 minutes each. Which means that when team A gets the ball back there isn't much time left in a 10 minute period. Whereas if OT was 15 minutes you probably would have 6-7 minutes left in Overtime where a field goal would win it. 

I have no idea why the NFL decided to lower the amount of time in overtime, what problem were they trying to solve? 

4 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

Every other sport's overtime is shorter than the regular quarter/period. The way it is now is okay (sudden death on a TD or safety, other team gets a chance if team makes a FG) but need to continue playing until someone wins. 

I don't like the college OT format. Basketball and baseball keep playing the same game, hockey's is no good because it's a totally different game (3-on-3 then shootout). Keeping it the same game is important. This is especially true with football because there are only 16 games. 

Hockey does 5 on 5 golden goal overtime for the playoffs. The 3 on 3 and shoot out is gimmicky but at least it is confined to the regular season. 

If they're going to keep OT at 10 minutes, just go to college rules.  10 minutes basically gives the two teams one drive, which still has a high chance of ending in a tie. 

College rules wouldn't increase the time spent on the field by much, which promotes player safety, but would offer more red zone plays and produce a winner.

And ties are fine until teams with a 7-7-2 record start making the playoffs.

4 hours ago, MJS said:

I think it is completely fine. I do not understand why people complain about it.

I also do not want to see them go to the college system. I don't like taking kickoffs out of it and giving the team a freebie from the 25.

Ties aren't the end of the world for regular season games but the shortening of the OT quarter to 10 minutes is basically making it much more likely for teams to tie and 5 minutes of additional game time isn't exactly going to massively do anything. Right now 10 minutes allows teams to exchange field goals and leave about 2 minutes on the clock. If the team that kicked the first field goal can't score then the game ends in a tie, but if you added the extra 5 minutes you would allow at least 1-2 more possessions and lower the likelihood of a tie. 

I don't think you have to get rid of ties but the solution should be to make them more rare. 

Just now, Perry Turtle said:

If they're going to keep OT at 10 minutes, just go to college rules.  10 minutes basically gives the two teams one drive, which still has a high chance of ending in a tie. 

College rules wouldn't increase the time spent on the field by much, which promotes player safety, but would offer more red zone plays and produce a winner.

And ties are fine until teams with a 7-7-2 record start making the playoffs.

College overtime is way to gimmicky and doesn't feel like a natural extension of the game as it is played in regulation. It's much more similar to hockey's shootouts which are gimmicky and un-reflective of the game (but at least are confined to the regular season.) 

The NFL has a good system they just need to allow teams to play a full 15 minutes. The big issue with 10 minutes is that if two teams kick a field goal those drives usually eat up about 4 minutes each and that only leaves about 1 possession left. Going back to the 15 minute format would allow each team with at least 1 additional possession with plenty of time on the clock. If teams can't score in that time frame then fine end it in a tie but at least you have a format that limits ties and isn't gimmicky. 

5 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Ties aren't the end of the world for regular season games but the shortening of the OT quarter to 10 minutes is basically making it much more likely for teams to tie and 5 minutes of additional game time isn't exactly going to massively do anything. Right now 10 minutes allows teams to exchange field goals and leave about 2 minutes on the clock. If the team that kicked the first field goal can't score then the game ends in a tie, but if you added the extra 5 minutes you would allow at least 1-2 more possessions and lower the likelihood of a tie. 

I don't think you have to get rid of ties but the solution should be to make them more rare. 

College overtime is way to gimmicky and doesn't feel like a natural extension of the game as it is played in regulation. It's much more similar to hockey's shootouts which are gimmicky and un-reflective of the game (but at least are confined to the regular season.) 

The NFL has a good system they just need to allow teams to play a full 15 minutes. The big issue with 10 minutes is that if two teams kick a field goal those drives usually eat up about 4 minutes each and that only leaves about 1 possession left. Going back to the 15 minute format would allow each team with at least 1 additional possession with plenty of time on the clock. If teams can't score in that time frame then fine end it in a tie but at least you have a format that limits ties and isn't gimmicky. 

I agree with you.  I'd prefer that the NFL goes to 15 minute OT (at least).

If they decide to go to stay with the 10 minute OT, though, I'd rather they go to the college format, because I agree with your assessment of the 10 minute OT.

As much as I want the 15 minute OT, I don't think the NFL is going to go back to it because of the night games, especially Thursday night games.

So instead of watching a team win the coin toss and try to grind out a 7 minute FG drive in OT, I'd rather watch teams try to outscore one another in innings that start on the, say, opponent's 40 yard line.

33 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Yeah.  I'd prefer that system to the one we have now.

What if team A gets the ball first and is faced with 4th and 30 at their own 30 or something crazy? Then they are screwd. But I guess that goes to your point about possibly defending first instead of going on offense.

Are the playoff overtimes 15 minutes?

Edited by Billsfanatic8989