Someone needs to be fired over Mahomes right now.

Klaista2k

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

This take is way way hotter.    Why would this offense slow down in week 8 ? 

I think it is a reference to Andy Reid’s offenses having a history of being worse in the 2nd half of seasons. I have seen it referred to a few times in recent weeks but never seen the stats that back the assertion up.

2 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

I started a petition on change.org and changed my profile picture on Facebook, that should help

good work.  why should we all sit around on a message board and passively complain to one another.  it's time for action bitches.  anyone who's not willing to write a letter can take a back seat.  action time.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, nucci said:

No but the Bills could be 1 year in to the rebuild if they drafted either Watson or Mahomes and could have used this draft to fix some glaring needs...they just pushed it back one year....I'm guessing Allen will be good...just could have accelerated the build

Yes, one more year into the rebuild and still 54 million in dead cap money.  Likely still 1-3 record and everyone on this board still pissed.  The rebuild doesn't come into view until next year.

I won't say that not picking Mahomes was a mistake, but not picking Mahomes and then picking Josh Allen a year later, who is essentially just a worse version of Mahomes, doesn't make any freaking sense.

Mahomes was a much better prospect than Josh Allen. They're both big, they're both mobile, and they both have rocket arms. Why did we not take the guy who showed in college that he can throw a football really well and instead opt for the guy who was just a mediocre QB in a terrible conference?

Makes no sense whatsoever. 

33 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Let's give it some time.  Defenses are just starting to see what Patrick Mahomes is bringing to the table.  Last year, Deshaun Watson was absolutely tearing up the NFL as a rookie.  This year, he's struggled pretty bad at times.  It just took awhile for defensive coordinators to figure out the best way to counter his skills.

I know it's frustrating to see Mahomes (and Watson for that matter) playing great in the NFL, knowing we could have drafted either.

Unfortunately, it's more about bad timing than anything else. 

Watson struggled in the first half of the first game. Since then he has been pretty good on a bad team.

1,200+ yards

62%+ completion 

7 TDs to 4 INTs

93+ passer rating

PFFs #7 QB

All of which on a team that hasn’t stopped anyone on defence and has been forced to throw a lot. I totally understand why the focus has been on Mahomes. He has been brilliant. But Watson save for that first half in New England has been very good again too. 

The Bills missed on that draft not taking a QB. I understand the timing reasons but it Allen is not the guy their approach to the 2017 draft will rightly be criticised. When you get the chance to draft good QBs you take them - you don’t punt. 

Edited by GunnerBill

it's gut wrenching to think we could have had mahomes

that trade is a disaster....and tre white is a home run stud.

based on what I've seen so far.....allen will never be a franchise qb…..a solid starter at best

mahomes is clearly a franchise qb

• Thank you (+1) 1

you can make a case that the Bills could have a supporting cast for Mahomes, taking over this year from Tyrod of:

Cordy Glenn, Dawkins, Watkins, Calvin Ridley, McCoy.  Thats not awful.  They could have kept Darby and not donked him off for Matthews (because they wouldnt have White).

In any case, losing the pro bowl caliber G and C due to health is a gut punch and tough to recover from.

Jury is still out, and likely will be out until the conclusion of next season.  If not, the first half of the 2020 season.  The one thing that continues to plague my thoughts is the apparent lack of a coherent plan to bring Allen along, and/or surround him with some sort of veteran presence.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Like Ive said.

This new regime thinks it takes 5 years to rebuild a team. In today's NFL this is far from the way to do things. It will be interesting to see if they make it there. 

I concur...there is a lot of roster turnover even with good teams.....problem is many vets will be gone next season and there still isn't a core of players to build around except for Allen....most of the starters on offense will need to be replaced

9 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Beane wasn’t even here

Even worse!

Fire him for not bring here to draft <Insert 'flavour of the month QB' here>! Heads must roll!

In 4 games he has looked really good on a very good team with lots of offensive weapons. But it's only been 4 games, let's see what he does all season. Watsons shine seemed to come falling off from last season before his injury.

9 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

Someone needs to be held accountable for this.

If it was McDermott and Beane's decision get their asses the hell out of Buffalo.

They don't deserve to be running the team anymore.

You are completely correct, this is 100% on Beane.  I don't care if he was still working for the Panthers, this is all his fault!!

8 hours ago, KOKBILLS said:

Well...

I hate to say I told you so...

But...I would have taken him #1 overall in that Draft...The Bills could have had him at #10...

I love TreDa as much as anyone...But it was a flat out swing and a miss by whoever made that decision...

Life goes on...I'm a Josh Allen fan now...?

The saving grace out of some really bad personnel handling is that they may have their own QB.

It really is an interesting scenario because the Bills have never traded the pick that was then used by the acquiring team to attain their stud QB.

They've passed on QB's........but not directly shown their own incompetence like this.

But then at the same time they DID address the position with a top 10 pick on really talented QB a year later......which nobody in the organization has had the cajones to do for the previous 58 years.

Drafting QB's early is pretty standard stuff everywhere else but since that's not the case here they have made a *relatively* seismic impact on the franchise if nothing else.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

Someone needs to be held accountable for this.

If it was McDermott and Beane's decision get their asses the hell out of Buffalo.

They don't deserve to be running the team anymore.

Has anyone yet pointed out that Beane was not on the payroll during this draft?

13 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I won't say that not picking Mahomes was a mistake, but not picking Mahomes and then picking Josh Allen a year later, who is essentially just a worse version of Mahomes, doesn't make any freaking sense.

Mahomes was a much better prospect than Josh Allen. They're both big, they're both mobile, and they both have rocket arms. Why did we not take the guy who showed in college that he can throw a football really well and instead opt for the guy who was just a mediocre QB in a terrible conference?

Makes no sense whatsoever. 

Their situations aren’t comparable. Mahomes played in an innovative, pass-happy spread offense. Allen played in a system directly out of a playbook from 1955.

54 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Yeah, why didn’t they hire Andy Reid as their offensive coordinator?! Idiots should be fired for that.

A near historic 200 yards passing outside the pocket running for his life against the Broncos beastly pass rush.

Yeah......just like Andy drew it up.

53 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

How would Mahomes do on the Bills offense this year?

Not much better than Allen is my guess.

The guy has Tyreek Hill, Kelce, Hunt, and Watkins

No wonder he is lighting it up. He is an amazing QB but I doubt he would be as successful with the current Bills offense

It's been mentioned but McD had a very suspect first offseason as de facto GM and passing on Mahomes had a domino effect that has lead to them getting rid of a lot of players who are going to be playing very well in the playoffs for other teams for the next few seasons.   

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Nobody is getting fired when this team doesnt do well this year.....they will be moving onto whatever premium pass rusher they can get with that first round pick and then probably go heavy on offense the rest of the way

Then they traded for their franchise QB the following year.  I really think ppl are just upset at the order we did it.....to think Mahommes would look the same with this group of crap is for the challenged

I guess you could chalk me as "upset with the order they did it", but not at the order per se, rather the value received vs value given up.  If it's a plan, I find it hard to understand.

I'm not sure about the "nobody getting fired".  I think if the Bills continue to be embarrassing in how they play, all bets are off.   i think the Pegulas were prepared for losses and learning experience but not laughingstock level incompetence.  I think McDermott has figured that out, too and that's why he was uncharacteristically animated in his presser.

lets pump the brakes.

I understand the kid has looked sensational. I'd agree with that statement.

But the kid has played four games. I've seen lots of QB's look "sensational" for four games and then come back to reality.

5 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Their situations aren’t comparable. Mahomes played in an innovative, pass-happy spread offense. Allen played in a system directly out of a playbook from 1955.

Exactly.

Mahomes spent his college career throwing the football 50 times a game.

Allen learned next to nothing in college. 

If we wanted a big, strong, mobile QB with a rocket arm, we should have picked Mahomes. He was a much better prospect. 

#1 Mahomes was able to sit behind a vet and just watch for a year. (Something I still think we should trade for and do)

#2 KC has an incredible supporting cast

#3 No one on this earth had any clue Mahomes would be good other then KC fans and there crystal ball and management hoping so.

#4 I truly think the person that is really screwing with our current QB is our OC. Example.. 3rd and 4 and 3 out of the 4 receivers out on a rout go deep. Tell me why? Another example, constantly running McCoy up the middle in a bad line. Pitch it to him.. do something different.

#5 our supporting cast is near worst in league right now.

Fans are BITTER! could of had.. would have.. and its because our rookie is looking bad right now.

Fans you want to be ticked off? BE ticked off at these things..

#1 Why didn't they work harder fixing this OL in FA, Draft. when your a team in a draft its normally BPA. But when your have a team that is in bad shape like this O'Line you don't just do very little about it and hope backups will hold up.

#2 How come they didn't work harder getting better, faster receivers in here?

#3 How come they didn't see how bad Peterman really is? Why not junk him now for a vet and let Josh Allen learn and play?

those are the things fans should be ticked off about... You build an Line at same time you get your QB. When you get your what you think is a Franchise QB.. That line at the very least is strong.. I mean seriously? how many times are we going to see the left or right guard help pinch on a DT for no reason what so ever and watch a LB run right around him? be ticked off at these things.

5 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Exactly.

Mahomes spent his college career throwing the football 50 times a game.

Allen learned next to nothing in college. 

If we wanted a big, strong, mobile QB with a rocket arm, we should have picked Mahomes. He was a much better prospect. 

Quarterbacks who spent their colleges years chucking the ball around in Air Raid offenses don’t exactly have the greatest NFL track record.

4 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

#1 Mahomes was able to sit behind a vet and just watch for a year. (Something I still think we should trade for and do)

#2 KC has an incredible supporting cast

#3 No one on this earth had any clue Mahomes would be good other then KC fans and there crystal ball and management hoping so.

#4 I truly think the person that is really screwing with our current QB is our OC. Example.. 3rd and 4 and 3 out of the 4 receivers out on a rout go deep. Tell me why? Another example, constantly running McCoy up the middle in a bad line. Pitch it to him.. do something different.

#5 our supporting cast is near worst in league right now.

Fans are BITTER! could of had.. would have.. and its because our rookie is looking bad right now.

Fans you want to be ticked off? BE ticked off at these things..

#1 Why didn't they work harder fixing this OL in FA, Draft. when your a team in a draft its normally BPA. But when your have a team that is in bad shape like this O'Line you don't just do very little about it and hope backups will hold up.

#2 How come they didn't work harder getting better, faster receivers in here?

#3 How come they didn't see how bad Peterman really is? Why not junk him now for a vet and let Josh Allen learn and play?

those are the things fans should be ticked off about... You build an Line at same time you get your QB. When you get your what you think is a Franchise QB.. That line at the very least is strong.. I mean seriously? how many times are we going to see the left or right guard help pinch on a DT for no reason what so ever and watch a LB run right around him? be ticked off at these things.

...throw in a little "honorable mention" for Andy Reid.......he's "not too bad" offensively, perhaps a 1/2 step ahead of McDermott..............

Just now, Wayne Arnold said:

Quarterbacks who spent their colleges years chucking the ball around in Air Raid offenses don’t exactly have the greatest NFL track record.

Neither do guys who failed to complete 57% of their passes in college. 

As the NFL has moved more and more pass heavy, it seems as though Air Raid QBs can now have success at the pro level. Jared Goff and Pat Mahomes couldn't be playing any better. 

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

As the NFL has moved more and more pass heavy, it seems as though Air Raid QBs can now have success at the pro level. Jared Goff and Pat Mahomes couldn't be playing any better. 

You're the guy who said Winston would be an all time great and that you would have traded anything to get him.  You have zero credibility when it comes to judging QBs. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Augie said:

How many times are we going to do this? 

Not only that, get ready for the national media onslaught about this for the following reasons:

1. Buffalo is a wonderful and juicy soft target for the NFL media. Clickbait, we get pissed, rinse and repeat.

2. Josh Allen had a 'racist' tweet at 15, Mahomes is not white, fits perfectly into the race baiting ways of the political forum these days. Somehow, Allen will be blamed for this.

7 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Why not junk him now for a vet and let Josh Allen learn and play?

I keep seeing this. Which “vet”? They signed McCarron and Peterman was better. Any street FA you put out there would suck

massive balls and insane pressure would be on McDermott to start the rookie. 

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
10 hours ago, Augie said:

How many times are we going to do this? 

How many times are the Bills going to pass on great QB's who fall in their laps?

3 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

Not only that, get ready for the national media onslaught about this for the following reasons:

1. Buffalo is a wonderful and juicy soft target for the NFL media. Clickbait, we get pissed, rinse and repeat.

2. Josh Allen had a 'racist' tweet at 15, Mahomes is not white, fits perfectly into the race baiting ways of the political forum these days. Somehow, Allen will be blamed for this.

What the hell are you rambling on about with point 2?

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

What should really make you sick, is we could have drafted Mahomes and use a little more ammo than we used to trade up for Zay Jones, and traded back into the first for White. 

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

That of course is true. However when they display rocket arm's and accuracy teams seem willing to take a chance - Carr, Mahomes. Clearly Reid saw something he really liked in PM. He probably sat him to give him time to learn/adjust to a pro offence but he knew the kid had the goods he wanted. Maybe the Bills downgraded him based on the conventional wisdom you reference. 

Sometimes I think the Bills don't show the same acumen as some other teams. I think McCoach has that on the defensive side of the ball. Not sure about the O. Time will tell.

6 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Completion percentage in college is a product of the system the QB runs.

Although your second point is a good one. Looks like the NFL is finally catching up with regard to offensive innovation.

6 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Goff and Mahomes are simply talented.  Good size, good arms, athletic. It doesnt matter what offense they were in.  They are not small weak arm QBs who put up massive numbers in a quality system.  

2 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

What the hell are you rambling on about with point 2?

Oh trust me, I myself am all for everyone, carry no hate, but if you don't think that is a strategy even by the sports media to get clicks and eyeballs on their product, then I'm not sure what to tell you. Sadly these days, it sells.

I watched most of the 2nd half of the KC vs Denver game last night.  First time I got to see extended play from Mahomes.  My impression is that he plays street ball like Michael Vick.  He is generating some big numbers right now throwing balls while on the run and moving out of pocket.  But is that  really sustainable?    Can he be more of a drop back passer which seems to be a longer term success model?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, starrymessenger said:

That of course is true. However when they display rocket arm's and accuracy teams seem willing to take a chance - Carr, Mahomes. Clearly Reid saw something he really liked in PM. He probably sat him to give him time to learn/adjust to a pro offence but he knew the kid had the goods he wanted. Maybe the Bills downgraded him based on the conventional wisdom you reference. 

Sometimes I think the Bills don't show the same acumen as some other teams. I think McCoach has that on the defensive side of the ball. Not sure about the O. Time will tell.

The Bills don't get it.

The Chiefs have the best offense in the league, and none of their players fit the type of guys McDermott wants. He values character over talent.

• We passed on Pat Mahomes (didn't want him)
  • We traded Sammy Watkins (didn't want him)
  • Tyreek Hill had major off field issues (unlikely we'd ever take a shot on a guy like him)

The Bills have high character guys all over their offense who unfortunately don't have much talent or skill. Josh Allen is a long term project, our receivers are laughably bad and offer zero athleticism relative to other NFL players, and we have an OL that doesn't get much push.

We're trying to do things one way, and the Cheifs (the best offense in the league) are operating in a way that I don't think McDermott would ever be willing to adopt.

That's a major concern in my eyes.